Fourtitude.com - Daycare lotto: how will/did you spend your winnings?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-10-2019 12:08 PM #26
      No kids yet but this serves as a nice reminder of why I made the push to get my dream car (vs investing the cash) 10 years ago. As long as I have the Porsche I'm not as concerned about how the fleet looks. Side bonus, I also care very little how automated/boring/numb/save the manuels modern cars become because I have that box ticked.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      06-10-2019 12:09 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by JMURiz View Post
      Like a couple others said, it'll go into the 529 plan for college.

But that should free up some money indirectly to help keep the old cars on the road.
      Getting deep into the financial lounge, but don't bother with 529s until you are maxing out your other retirement accounts. You can use retirement accounts for college, but you can't use 529s for retirement. Only possible exception is if you get a state deduction.

Now for a separate discussion: What car would I raid my kid's 529 accounts for if they got full ride scholarships ?

Cars
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      06-10-2019 12:30 PM #28
      Paying ~$2K a month now for a 4yo in pre-school + before/after care and an 8mo in daycare 3x per week. It's a bit brutal, but it's necessary, and my wife is still clearing enough money pay for childcare, healthcare and her fuel to get to and from work (plus staying in the workforce in her health profession).

I've thought about how things will change as they go to school, but we're still figuring out whether that's public or private, which would impact things - along with the idea of still needing before/after care and summer camps. How is there not a better full year solution to schooling/child care that makes this all easier? Seems like a business opportunity...

I think when my son gets to grade school, I'll get a new car. I still like my MKV GTI, but it's getting long in tooth, and certainly by fall of 2020 it'll be ready to retire (it'll be 14).

So, modest new DD for me (haven't decided if this will be something I'm excited about like a Golf R, or if I'll just trade in my enthusiast card for a while and DD something like a Prius until the kids are old enough for me to have the time/energy to sink into actually being an enthusiast again).

Rest of the "savings" likely go to college fund + upgrading housing (either new more expensive house or in the form of remodeling/upgrades to current house).

Hoping I can continue to escalate my salary to make all of this easier, but damnit, #adulting is hard at times.

5. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      06-10-2019 12:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      May I suggest some ground rules?

Here’s a reverse payment calculator. Let’s assume 2% interest and 60 months, no down payment. Let’s assume a net new car, I.e. doesn’t have to be practical, because you still have your current fleet.
      With these parameters I'd have $68K to spend. I guess it depends. With my motorcycle leaving I'd want a convertible, and there are no 4 seaters that interest me in that price range. So I'd probably get a C7 GS. But if I wanted to bring the family along I'd probably get an M4. Or maybe go used and get the M4 + an older GS to beat on. Or I could get a used M4, a C5 Z06, AND a Street Triple R

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      You lived without it before, I'd recommend using the extra to build a slush/cushion fund so that $400 emergency doesn't lead to bankruptcy.
      Brah if I didn't have $400 to cover an emergency I wouldn't be looking to have kids in the first place

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      06-10-2019 12:46 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      We have one now ($1200/mo) and are shooting for another one. Trying to get my duck in a row to fix the fleet before that bill grows

But I tell you hwut. If we had that extra money, I'd probably be rocking a C6 GS convertible for the fun car and an MK7 GTI for the daily. I'd save the rest

For all the parents with kids in day care... is your fleet going to change once they're out? Or no?
      Day care costs are a drop in the bucket compared to college costs. Nothing will change here, money will go towards savings instead. #TFL
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Cars
      06-10-2019 01:04 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Day care costs are a drop in the bucket compared to college costs. Nothing will change here, money will go towards savings instead. #TFL
      Day care can actually exceed the cost of state school, and you don’t get 18 years to save.

8. Member
      Cars
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      06-10-2019 01:07 PM #32
      How do normal people have kids?

These costs being quoted are around 100% of average incomes.

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2008 Hayabusa, 2014 RDX
      06-10-2019 01:12 PM #33
      I am at $1K/month right now for daycare, and that will drop to around $400/month, but that is for school year only, plus PD days and school breaks will add to that.

If I didn't have any daycare costs, I would trade in my ATS for something a little bit bigger.

Cars
      06-10-2019 01:16 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post

Increasingly, they don't. Childcare costs are cited as one reason for falling birth rates. Those that do and are of average means generally can't afford a licensed daycare. They stay home, go for unlicensed in-home day cares, nanny shares, or have a relative who can watch the kid.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      06-10-2019 01:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Increasingly, they don't. Childcare costs are cited as one reason for falling birth rates. Those that do and are of average means generally can't afford a licensed daycare. They stay home, go for unlicensed in-home day cares, nanny shares, or have a relative who can watch the kid.
      Our huge decrease is a result of us moving to an in home unlicensed daycare. We waited until she was two, because then it was more likely she could communicate if something was wrong. But from 4 months to two years, yeah.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-10-2019 01:30 PM #36

A LOT of people don't have professional childcare. Tons of people have a relative or a family friend who watches kids for a lot less than a licensed daycare center. There are pluses and minuses to that. Honestly, it's a real issue for MOST people unless money is truly no object for you.

For us, never high earners, then or now, it was a struggle, but you can get through it and it does get easier. We lived really frugally (still do) and didn't do any saving or investing for a long time. That was just our reality. Finances are the #1 reason we only have 1 child. As he's approaching college age, we've got a whole new financial struggle ahead of us.

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      06-10-2019 01:37 PM #37

The costs are also regional. We don't live in a "average income" area, so nothing costs "average".
      When we had ours, daycare was more than half my wife's take home, and she's pretty well compensated for her field.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 198k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

14. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      06-10-2019 01:39 PM #38
      We pay a little over $1,700 a month for our 2 kiddos to be in daycare. Since I will have the kids still when the daycare bill goes away I would like to look into some sort of RV; truck and pop up camper, small RV, camper van, lightweight travel trailer, etc.

15. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      06-10-2019 01:42 PM #39

The end of year invoice kills me.

We take our 2 kids to an in home daycare and she has a teaching degree so it works out really well. We spend like $430 a week for daycare and one of the cheaper child care centers in town is nearby and they charge $385 a week for a single toddler.

16. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      06-10-2019 01:46 PM #40
      Wow - I feel SO much better about how much I intend to spend on a car per month after reading this thread.

2 kids daycare for multiple years... or a new 911.... I know which one I'm choosing.

OT: Thank you everyone for reaffirming me and my spouse's life decisions (to not have kids).
      I do respect all of you who parent + job + have time (and energy) for personal fun, though.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

17. 06-10-2019 01:55 PM #41
      $2,200 a month here with two kids. That would work out to $120k to spend on a car on a 5 year loan with 2% interest. After giving it some thought, I think I'd go with a childhood dream car: 993 Turbo. The best examples are out of the price range, but some slightly higher miles or modded examples stay under $100k. Like so:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-911-turbo-12/

I'd spend a few grand going back to the stock whale tale and getting rid of that lip. The remainder would go to a spec miata, trailer, and tow vehicle.
      This

You have excellent taste.
      Boiler Up!

Cars
      06-10-2019 01:56 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      Wow - I feel SO much better about how much I intend to spend on a car per month after reading this thread.

2 kids daycare for multiple years... or a new 911.... I know which one I'm choosing.

OT: Thank you everyone for reaffirming me and my spouse's life decisions (to not have kids).
      I do respect all of you who parent + job + have time (and energy) for personal fun, though.
      Nothing against folks who choose not to have kids, but I wouldn't trade my kids for a GT3 - not even a GT2RS

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-10-2019 01:57 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      The end of year invoice kills me.
      The first one was a huge shock to us as well. When you are writing weekly checks it is easy to forget what 52 weeks add up to.

I should mention as much as I am bitching about how much our child has cost us in earnings, I wouldn't go back and change a thing. I was 40 when she was born and thought I would never have a child nor was I really even that interested. I am so glad I changed my mind.

I can't think of a single car - or anything else really - that would give me as much joy as my little girl does on a daily basis.

Cars
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      06-10-2019 01:59 PM #44
      Childcare is staggering at first blush, but you are paying someone to raise your child X number of days per week.

When you break down the numbers, it's actually quite shocking they can do it that cheaply in many cases.

Even if you're paying $250 a week, that's still likely 50 hours of them watching your child, which is staggeringly low. You couldn't pay me $5 per hour to watch anything, especially a whining and crying child. I realize they have multiple kids per teacher to make the economics work better, but even then we're not talking about more than 5-6 kids per, which is still low to me financially for the provider (and whatever overhead they carry).
      Last edited by Eye Candy White; 06-10-2019 at 02:02 PM.

06-10-2019 02:00 PM #45
      Lawd almighty

Just reading how much y'all are paying for childcare and all makes me glad I don't have kids. Doubt I'll ever have kids.
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      06-10-2019 02:02 PM #46
      I have two kids at Kettering, does that count?

Because I would have two Lamborghinis. Or maybe an LFA and a Bentley.

Whatever. It would be a lot of car.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

23. 06-10-2019 02:04 PM #47

My old neighbors did everything on a shoe string budget.

They married at 20. He had an associates degree in IT and she was a CNA. They saved for a year and plunked down all their savings to buy a nice house next to us.
      Then they traded in their cars for a newer minivan and he bought another neighbors late 90's civic. She quit her job and became a stay at home mom.

For Christmas one of them would get a PT job at Target or Wal-Mart or something to buy presents for the kids. Otherwise they lived at garage sales.

They had flip phones. They had a 32" flat screen that was a wedding gift as their only TV. I gave him some older PC parts and he built their computer from that.

They make it work. He did get a nice promotion at work and they ended up moving to a little bigger house. But they are still rocking the same minivan and civic.
      Boiler Up!

24. 06-10-2019 02:06 PM #48
      Nothing against folks who choose not to have kids, but I wouldn't trade my kids for a GT3 - not even a GT2RS
      Some days it would be a tough decision
      But yeah I wouldn't trade anything for them. I get to be a goofy kid again and not look like a weirdo doing it
      Boiler Up!

Cars
      06-10-2019 02:15 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Eye Candy White View Post
      Childcare is staggering at first blush, but you are paying someone to raise your child X number of days per week.

When you break down the numbers, it's actually quite shocking they can do it that cheaply in many cases.

Even if you're paying $250 a week, that's still likely 50 hours of them watching your child, which is staggeringly low. You couldn't pay me $5 per hour to watch anything, especially a whining and crying child. I realize they have multiple kids per teacher to make the economics work better, but even then we're not talking about more than 5-6 kids per, which is still low to me financially for the provider (and whatever overhead they carry).
      Yeah, if you do the math, it's not like they are raking it in by any means. We didn't even go with the remotely fanciest daycare. While they take great care of our kids, they rent super cheap space in a somewhat rundown church annex and have only a tiny amount of playground space. There are several places with nicer facilities that are $500+ more a month per kid.

26. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      06-10-2019 02:21 PM #50
      I completely understand this. But, when faced with the choice beforehand: I would trade having kids for getting the GT3
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast