Fourtitude.com - Bike Trip - Lake Superior North Shore
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      06-09-2019 05:50 PM #1
      A friend and I started up our old BMW's R1100RT - His a 1997, mine a 2000 and started our trip around the north shore of Lake Superior
      (see photo link below)
      Left metro Detroit at 6:00am Wednesday .... rode through 30 minutes of heavy rain near Lansing, made it to Muskegon in time to get staged to
      board the Lake Express Ferry for the 2 hr and 15 min crossing to Milwaukee. Once there, we took some back roads had lunch in Clintonville, WI then headed north and spent the first night in Hurley, WI, next morning jumper on US 2 west and dodged a few deer, watch one leap over the hood of an east bound Chevy.
      Stopped for a few photos then headed into Duluth, MN and picked up highway 61, stopped at Gooseberry Falls State Park, then Split Rock Lighthouse, then north stopping in Grand Marais, MN to grab some dinner, awesome whitefish at the Angry Trout. Gassed up and crossed the boarder into Canada, looked for a place to stay near Thunder Bay, decided to press on and stay in Nipigon the most northern part of Lake Superior, next day stopped in Marathon and visited Pebble Beach, then on to another waterfall then south/east saw a Bull Moose just south of a lake called Hammer Lake then to Sand River Falls, hiked up river a ways and then back on the road stopping for a late lunch in Batchawana, gassed up and headed for the boarder to cross back into Michigan and south on I-75 and stayed in St. Ignace for the night, Saturday crossed the Mackinac Bridge, the headed west on some nice twisty back roads and then Cross Village and The Tunnel of Trees to Harbor Springs, the back to I-75 and hammer for home.

The BMW Sport Touring machines ate up miles like a champ.

Photo Link -----> http://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9rxi7

A few photos here ...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      06-09-2019 08:40 PM #2
      Hard to believe those bikes are so old. They look great. Also a bit timeless.

Did you run into any bad weather? How many miles was it?

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      06-10-2019 09:15 AM #3
      30 mins of heavy rain near Lansing, MI.
      1700 miles.
      Other than the rain the weather for the rest of the trip was perfect for riding with a jacket on or long sleeve shirt.
      The wind was very calm, hardly any waves on Lake Superior. I'd never seen the lake so calm.

Next trip will be a week the first week of September. Head down to The Outer Banks and visit family in Duck, NC, go to Nags Head, then to Four Oaks, NC, Greer, SC,
      hit up a few waterfalls that I haven't visited yet in western NC. Do the Tail of The Dragon, Cherohala Parkway, maybe do Hwy 80 The Whip in NC, The Rattlesnake and Copperhead in KY.
      Stop at the Military Cemetery south of Lexington, KY, then home.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-19-2019 02:11 PM #4
      Beautiful area.

Here's a variation. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Wawa,...6179!3e0?hl=en

From there, you could either backtrack to Sault Ste Marie if your eventual destination is in Michigan, or you could go east on TransCanada to Espanola and then south through Manitoulin Island (another scenic route) and take the ferry to Tobermory and then wander around on the Bruce Peninsula for a while.

Cars
      '19 GLI
      07-20-2019 10:24 AM #5
      Trip sounds great! The family and I are driving the circle tour in a couple weeks, not sure what exactly to expect in Canada. First night staying in silver bay MN. Any tips/hints/advice for the Canada portion? You named off all the Canadian cities I know of on the route.
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

Cars
      07-22-2019 09:02 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      Trip sounds great! The family and I are driving the circle tour in a couple weeks, not sure what exactly to expect in Canada. First night staying in silver bay MN. Any tips/hints/advice for the Canada portion? You named off all the Canadian cities I know of on the route.
      If driving clockwise, be sure to gas up in Nipigon or Marathon this will get you to Sault Ste. Marie.
      Not a lot of food options east of Thunder Bay. Many businesses haven't reopened since 2008. There is a Tim Horton's in Nipigon.
      Gooseberry Falls near Two Harbors, MN is a must stop.
      When traveling east be sure to stop and check out the rivers that cascade from the north or west side of the highway into Lake Superior.
      If your kids are tall enough to wade the hip high water, cross the sand bar to Bathtub Island, definitely does this (video below).

When in Michigan's UP, visit Tahquamenon Falls both Upper and Lower.

Have a great trip!

Cars
      '19 GLI
      07-22-2019 11:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      If driving clockwise, be sure to gas up in Nipigon or Marathon this will get you to Sault Ste. Marie.
      Not a lot of food options east of Thunder Bay. Many businesses haven't reopened since 2008. There is a Tim Horton's in Nipigon.
      Gooseberry Falls near Two Harbors, MN is a must stop.
      When traveling east be sure to stop and check out the rivers that cascade from the north or west side of the highway into Lake Superior.
      If your kids are tall enough to wade the hip high water, cross the sand bar to Bathtub Island, definitely does this (video below).

When in Michigan's UP, visit Tahquamenon Falls both Upper and Lower.

Have a great trip!
      Awesome, thank you for the response. Gooseberry falls is cool, we spent some time there last year. Last year we spent 2 days along superior in Minnesota, did everything from just after Duluth up to Silver bay that we were interested in except split rock (doing that this year). 2 years before that we spent time in Duluth. Talking to people I get the impression that the best part of this year's trip is going to be once we get to Michigan. I still hope Canada is fun though.
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

Cars
      07-24-2019 08:19 AM #8
      Be sure to stop at Sand River Falls it is just south of Bathtub Island, the parking lot will be on the east side of Hwy 17.
      It's an easy hike up to the top of the falls.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      07-30-2019 12:41 AM #9
      That's a trip I've wanted to make for a long time now. We've done the north shore of the UP, and explored Ontario from Sarnia through the Bruce, out to Algonquin. Also from the Soo up through Pukaskwa, Marathon, Wawa, and Hornpayne. We just haven't connected from Pukaskwa west across the top shore. The photos look great, thanks for sharing!
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      07-30-2019 07:27 PM #10
      Nice ride ! nice bikes !!!

I used to ride up from Saint Paul all the time. There are some great roads through MN and WI.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Please tell me how this does. I have a massive amount of stuff I need to kill
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Sprinkle some of your personality on it.
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-