VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Boost building in 2.0T BWA.

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  razor1199 
#1 ·
Hello, may someone tell me about normal boost building in those engines? (ofc with stock turbo etc.)
I have made logs on 4th gear, IMO car has lag to about 2600RPM, but maybe is it typical for those engines? I've seen dyno graphs which had shown max torque from arround 2200RPM to X RPM but high rev (so there should be max boost pressure from 2200RPM).
WOT starts from 17.03 time stamp of column B. Maybe it's normal boost building for this engine and I don't know it yet :D
BTW. I have changed DV and spark plugs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1smgs5WDgQuOACW_2IW22jZIDfoCcVi5d/view?usp=sharing

Regards!

#2 ·
It looks like it takes nearly 600 rpm, about 5 sec, for boost actual to meet the target boost. That is pretty much the norm'. Tough to tell if there is something off because there is no WGDC in the data and no throttle angle data...but still, it is normal. If boost takes more than 800 to 1000 rpm to meet the target level...then you should begin looking for a why.

#5 · (Edited)
Data shows you are likely at about 235 to 240 HP. WGDC and boost all look spot on. Looks like you began the pull at 1700 rpm and by 2200 rpm the boost was near target. When boost peaks the WGDC begins to lessen by opening the WG and the data all confirms that. However, if tuned, 17 psi peak tapering to 10 psi seems off. Usually a stage 1 tune goes to near 17 or 18 psi but only tapers to 12 to 15 psi. Most stage 2 tunes go to a peak of 20 to 22 psi and taper to 17 or 18 psi. But, if on the stock oem tune...this isn't bad at all. Given the HP I see...I imagined it to be tuned though.

#11 ·
Data shows you are likely at about 235 to 240 HP. WGDC and boost all look spot on. Looks like you began the pull at 1700 rpm and by 2200 rpm the boost was near target. When boost peaks the WGDC begins to lessen by opening the WG and the data all confirms that. However, if tuned, 17 psi peak tapering to 10 psi seems off. Usually a stage 1 tune goes to near 17 or 18 psi but only tapers to 12 to 15 psi. Most stage 2 tunes go to a peak of

20 to 22 psi and taper to 17 or 18 psi. But, if on the stock oem tune...this isn't bad at all. Given the HP I see...I imagined it to be tuned though.

How do you read the HP on the graph?

#6 ·
Sorry for the lack of response, I was on vacation :)
I noticed that when outside temperature is 24C+ it has less power, when it drops below 20C it drives better, I suppose it's caused by weak stock IC.
Anyway, I've been thinking about converting my maps to maps from GTI ED30, and raise boost at end to 12psi as you wrote, does it make sense? I saw my ignition maps are stock, that's why I ask for advice of converting.
Regards

#7 ·
Sorry for the lack of response, I was on vacation :)
I noticed that when outside temperature is 24C+ it has less power, when it drops below 20C it drives better, I suppose it's caused by weak stock IC. Could be the heat...could be the tune.
Anyway, I've been thinking about converting my maps to maps from GTI ED30, and raise boost at end to 12psi as you wrote, does it make sense? No, it doesn't make sense. The ED30 has a K04...does your Octavia? I saw my ignition maps are stock, that's why I ask for advice of converting.
Regards
I am still wondering which tune you have(who's tuning is it) and is it stage 1 or stage 2. Stage 1 meaning; just a stage 1 tune. Stage 2 meaning; stage 2 tune, intake, and down-pipe.

#8 ·
Sorry, it's stage 1, I know meanings :), just forgot to write which stage it is :(
Car has been bought with this tune, I just want to make it better.
After I wrote about copying maps from ED30 I did research, and yeah, ED30 has K04 which I didn't know about that (I've been sure it has K03), so you're right, converting doesn't make any sense.

#10 ·
I believe boost actual and specified are backwards in rosstech . Specified should be smooth. Due to what is asking for and your foot or actual is the one all over the place . But it looks normal. I have upgraded piston DV with spacer to release to athmosphere and I get boost at 2700

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.