VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

think i jumped teeth. new here-90 cabriolet for my kid

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  anextgli 
#1 ·
posted in cabriolet forums but now have issues with getting this thing started.
i dont know much- not a mechanic- trying to get this car fixed and running for my kids first car-
saw some instructions on how to do some stuff.-
so tdc- right side- green cap is off and its where it needs to be.
distributer is pointing to where 1 will fire.
#1 is at the top
NOW
the cam sprocket <<im prob calling it wrong. has a dot on the back- and 2 things stamped to other side. and im off- if i bring the dot on the back to meet valve cover- it will throw everything else off.

obviously i am not a mechanic.

need to know how to fix.
and if i need to take everything on the passenger side off to be able to do this???

car was my kids brothers car- sat for about a year- but ran- was told it needed a trans mount- which it did- engine was sitting about 3 inches from where it belonged. i know its rusty
i know its old-
just need some help

See less See more
#2 ·
guys, i am searching- looking for answers- just posted with hopes someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction.
dont have books or bently yet- just had car towed here 2 days ago. guess im going to look for into on how to check for spark before i start pulling things apart- again, since im not a mechanic-
just trying to get the car running for my kid.

dont know if jumped teeth was the right way to phrase my issue or not. jus know the car ran and then sat for months and now- i hear it crank but won't turn over.

looked at a post- about 100 times that shows how to get the timing right- but on this car- if i get top dead center from left to right- on driver side- the crank or flywheel or whatever is under green cap- does not look right-

got the marks on cam sprocket where they need to be- front and back. BUT- i think #1 is supposed to be at the top- which its not- think the distributer is sitting where it needs to be- but if i turn the motor to get the crank or flywheel where is should be in the pics ive seen- with puts the cam sprocket marks at 9 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock????

#7 ·
Loosen the timing belt tensioner and pull the timing belt off the edge of the cam sprocket.

Put the really hard to see "0" on the flywheel at the pointer in the bellhousing. This is right next to the deep v groove and can be really hard to see on a rusty flywheel. Take the #1 sparkplug out, gently put a long extension or pencil in the sparkplug hole so it sticks out the top. Put that cylinder at the top, dead center. now look on the flywheel, should be pointing at a little "0" or rusty dimple. That dimple/0 is going to be within a few millimeters of a flywheel bolt, to the left of it I think.

Put the OT on the outside of the cam sprocket at the OT on the plastic cover. This should also put the dimple on the backof the sprocket to the front edge of the cylinder head.

Put the intermediate shaft dimple in the V of the crank pulley (not critical as you will see)

Pull the timing belt back up to the top putting the slack in the back of the motor for the tensioner to take up

Tension belt and tighted nut down. Tension until you can barely twist the belt 90*

Loosen distributor clamp and turn distributor until rotor points at the notch in the edge of the distributor for cylinder #1. If you hit the block or run out of room, pull the distributor up out of the block, line them up, then push back into the block. Thats why the intermediate shaft timing doesn't need to be exact, you can make it however you want on the distributor as long as the rotor points to #1 and you install the sparkplugs starting at that terminal.

Put the #1 plug wire on the terminal the rotor is now pointing at. 3,4,2 going clockwise from there is the remaining order.

Grab timing light and set the timing
Tighten distributor clamp down.

If it wont fire, you may have the timing out just a little too far. twist the distributor back and forth about 20* while it cranks and it will catch at some point. Time from there.

#12 ·
i actually did what you mentioned. and was able to- once i got everything lined up-timing wise. i was able to start the car and hear it running. once off. couldnt get it to start again.
now the original engine is out. i found another engine with 90k- running- recent timing belt, water pump etc- plus clutch that was just done. 250
aslo had a guy offer me an engine and trans- 84 gti- but i think its cis and my kids car is digi- so not sure how much is involved in getting the 84 to work in my kids car. so might just get the running 90k motor and trans set up. and hopfully i can put it back in and connect what i took off and the kid will have a running car. then we can continue to address all the other issues.
car needs rad support
clutch cable was being held on by a vise grip- we were told by my kids brother that the fire wall is rotted. but with motor out and after i took the vise grips out- fire wall is fine. but wire just hangs there- something broke.
top needs fixing
interior needs to be addressed- carpet and seats- my kid took all that stuff out.

so yea,
maybe we are in over our heads. but i thought it would be cool to try and do together and get the kids car running by his birthday-xmas day.

thanks for the reply man. i do appreciate the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.