Fourtitude.com - Do bad Uber drivers eventually stop getting hired?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-23-2019 02:21 PM #1
      This morning I encountered a horrible Uber driver, and it had me wondering how these guys keep driving.

Here's what happened:

I pull up behind an Uber driver who is stopped at a light, first in line. He's on the lane markers so he's taking up two lanes. Light turns green, he keeps driving on two lanes, for a while, at half the posted speed limit. Eventually he realizes he's taking up two lanes, so he applies the brakes, which is great because we were already almost stopped. He eventually merges into an actual lane, the middle one.

I attempt to pass when my lane is clear, but nope, the road starts turning *slightly* left, and he starts drifting back into my lane. Great. This guy can't drive in a straight line but he's trying to hit his apex on a multi-lane road.

Half his car ends up in my lane again, forcing me to slow down again and abort my pass attempt to avoid being sideswiped. I honk, which causes him to panic, slam the brakes and weave into the right lane, forcing a car in the right lane to slam his brakes in order to avoid a collision.

This all happened on a relatively straight road, doing around 25kmh in a 50kmh zone. He had a passenger riding shotgun who didn't seem to be having a good time.

I eventually pass him, we enter a bridge with moderate traffic, so he was visible in my rear view for a few minutes. He was driving on the left lane, pacing a bus in the right lane, and nearly sideswiped that bus a half dozen times. Bus driver honked, raised arms, tried to gap him but Uber driver seemed to inadvertently pace the bus no matter what.

I don't know how Uber rating system works, but do bad drivers like that eventually stop getting hired due to poor reviews?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-23-2019 07:04 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      I don't know how Uber rating system works, but do bad drivers like that eventually stop getting hired due to poor reviews?
      Yes. If they get scored low enough they get kicked off the platform. I had a pretty scary ride in an UberPool in SF once, that's the only time I've left 1 star (can't give 0 stars).

Cars
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      05-23-2019 07:13 PM #3
      Had an Uber driver in San Diego that was so bad my wife and I asked him to stop so we could get out. On I5. Got another Uber within 4 minutes and carried on. Reported the guy on the app, his driving was obviously garbage and clearly put us in danger.
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-23-2019 08:36 PM #4
      [Grumpy Rant]

Around SoCal, it's more often than not that random poor drivers in traffic these days have Uber/Lyft stickers on their cars.

There should be driver training, and if there is, it needs to be improved.

Having a driver's license and a car is simply not enough to be a driver for hire (especially in 'Merica where driver's licenses are given away in cereal boxes).

[/Grumpy Rant]
      test test Maki says "hello"

6. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Cars
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      05-23-2019 08:44 PM #5
      Here in the outskirts of Chicago, it's hard to say which is worse:

Uber/Lyft drivers from Chicago proper, who are probably former cabbies, being dangerously aggressive in the 'burbs.

or

Uber/Lyft drivers from the suburbs, who are often boomers trying to make extra cash, trying to navigate in the city and driving dangerously cautious/inattentively.

I have been almost killed by either--both as a passenger and as another driver on the road.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

7. Member
      Cars
      2019 Mini Countryman S 6MT, 2013 RB R
      05-23-2019 08:47 PM #6
      Are you sure this was an active Uber drive? It honestly sounds like a new driver with a parent in the passenger seat and maybe the parent happened to drive for Uber.

8. Member
      Cars
      05-24-2019 09:12 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by tyintegra View Post
      Are you sure this was an active Uber drive? It honestly sounds like a new driver with a parent in the passenger seat and maybe the parent happened to drive for Uber.
      Impossible to know for sure if it was active or not. But it wasn't a new driver scenario.

1. Driver and passenger were around 30-40ish, one guy was black and the other Vietnamese (probably)
      2. I don't think many new drivers would choose downtown rush hour morning traffic to practice their driving

9. Member
      Cars
      05-24-2019 09:19 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      [Grumpy Rant]

Around SoCal, it's more often than not that random poor drivers in traffic these days have Uber/Lyft stickers on their cars.

There should be driver training, and if there is, it needs to be improved.

Having a driver's license and a car is simply not enough to be a driver for hire (especially in 'Merica where driver's licenses are given away in cereal boxes).

[/Grumpy Rant]
      It's the same here in Montreal. It's almost systematic now, bad driver = Uber sticker.

Cabbies drive like jerks, but most of them seem aware of their surroundings.

Most Uber drivers around here seem completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

10. 05-24-2019 09:21 AM #9
      I've been in a couple where they shouldn't be driving themselves anywhere, never mind a passenger or two.

Wish there was a zero-star option.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

05-24-2019 11:19 AM #10
      I've been conditioned to notice the Uber/Lyft stickers on cars and to be more alert that they are more than likely going to do something stupid. Basically the same as when I see a Camry, Subaru, or CRV. When I see a Camry, Subaru, or CRV with an Uber/Lyft sticker, my life starts to flash before my eyes.

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      05-24-2019 12:30 PM #11
      We of course don't have ride sharing here, because B.C. My wife and kids were in Arizona around spring break and used Uber a couple of times. One of the rides, the Uber driver decided to turn left, on a red. Just because nobody was coming

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-24-2019 01:11 PM #12
      Recently an Uber driver told me that if you get a rating of 4.6 (out 5), you're basically kicked off. If you're at 4.7, you get notified that you're on the verge of being kicked out.

Also, a * (star) next to the rating means that the score is actually that number (e.g. 4.95 or 5.0), whereas without the star it is lower but rounded up to when using two digits after the decimal (e.g. 4.999 will show up as a 5.00, or 4.946 will show up as a 4.95, etc).

It's a bit deceiving (and smart) because when you typically see 4.6 out 5, you think it's not bad. I mean if a restaurant had that rating on Yelp, people would be all raving about it.

14. Member
      Cars
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      05-24-2019 03:37 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      Here in the outskirts of Chicago, it's hard to say which is worse:

Uber/Lyft drivers from Chicago proper, who are probably former cabbies, being dangerously aggressive in the 'burbs.

or

Uber/Lyft drivers from the suburbs, who are often boomers trying to make extra cash, trying to navigate in the city and driving dangerously cautious/inattentively.

I have been almost killed by either--both as a passenger and as another driver on the road.
      I have had a uniquely terrible experience every single god damn time I've Ubered in the 'burbs.

Most recently, the wife and I had to get outta dodge way out in Lincolnshire in a hurry and the driver, nice young guy, didn't speak a single word of English and/or believe in the virtues of balanced tires. Worst long ride in history.

Then there was this Egyptian dude in Rosemont in a brand new orange Wrangler with temp plates and blaring techno who didn't speak a word of English and hustled that soft top up to about 90 on 294. I was happy to be intoxicated for that.

Almost had to hop in the driver seat one time after the young man in the dirtiest Corolla I've ever seen picked me up from the VW dealer en route to my company Christmas party. I have never been more certain that death was upon me than I was when he tried to merge onto 290 and I had to walk him through it like he was blindfolded.

Personal favorite was the time a Russian dude in flip flops and gym shorts picked me up in a black car from Midway then got SUPER pissed halfway through the drive when he realized where the destination was and refused to speak to me. I tipped him 20 bucks and had him drop me off a street over because I was convinced he was going to come back and kick my ass.

Maybe it's the journalism degree in me, but I've developed this personal theory after all these years that there is a sort of Uber-cabal of dudes who pimp out young immigrants, provide them with leased Nissans and Corollas and take a cut of their earnings, because there is no way in hell some of these drivers have had the capacity to go through the purchasing, start-up and driving process without some sort of shenanigans along the way.
      THCK

Formerly (allegedly) fbmphil

15. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Cars
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-24-2019 03:43 PM #14
      *reads thread*

Am I the only person here who has never had a bad Uber ride? I thought the uber-strict "4.8 or below and you're out" rating system was the reason I've always had immaculate cars and excellent drivers. Maybe I'm catching Ubers in the wrong cities.

16. Member
      Cars
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      05-24-2019 03:53 PM #15
      It's an odds game. When the big city is swarming with them, chances that you're gonna get a crappy one go up. I have been using it for...6 years at this point, and the driver (and vehicle quality) has definitely been diluted since ride sharing exploded.

I will admit...when I'm not in a hurry, I'll cancel trips until I get a driver with an interesting or nicer vehicle
      THCK

Formerly (allegedly) fbmphil

17. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      05-24-2019 04:04 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      *reads thread*

Am I the only person here who has never had a bad Uber ride? I thought the uber-strict "4.8 or below and you're out" rating system was the reason I've always had immaculate cars and excellent drivers. Maybe I'm catching Ubers in the wrong cities.
      Some people are just too picky.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      05-24-2019 04:08 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      We of course don't have ride sharing here, because B.C. My wife and kids were in Arizona around spring break and used Uber a couple of times. One of the rides, the Uber driver decided to turn left, on a red. Just because nobody was coming
      If I'm in a dedicated left turn lane on red, and the way I am facing through lanes are still green, I admittedly also do this from time to time . Fraser and 176 comes to mind.

Cars
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      05-24-2019 04:23 PM #18
      I ave never had a bad Uber/Lyft ride, but it's because I have never used Uber or Lyft.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      05-24-2019 09:14 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      It's the same here in Montreal. It's almost systematic now, bad driver = Uber sticker.

Cabbies drive like jerks, but most of them seem aware of their surroundings.

Most Uber drivers around here seem completely oblivious to what's going on around them.
      Be realistic. The cabbies are just as bad, if not worse.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      *reads thread*

I've only done 5-10 trips, but also had a fantastic experience every time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      05-25-2019 06:11 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      If I'm in a dedicated left turn lane on red, and the way I am facing through lanes are still green, I admittedly also do this from time to time .
      I am also guilty of this on occasion. Only if it is an intersection with clear lines of sight in all directions.

22. Member
      Cars
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      05-25-2019 01:12 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I am also guilty of this on occasion. Only if it is an intersection with clear lines of sight in all directions.
      Me too, I don't particularly understand people that don't do this

I think of bad Uber drivers like fat strippers, if driving is what you do for a living, at least be decent at it
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      05-25-2019 01:27 PM #22
      I’ve actually had mostly positive experiences as a passenger around LA. I’ve certainly seen a lot of bad Uber driving around the city, but not really more than the general public.

The one ride that gave me pause was one of those pre-dawn rides to LAX. It was 4am, the driver was clearly exhausted and told me he’d been working since 6pm, and one of the rear wheel bearings on his Altima was HOWLING. We were on the section of La Cienega that becomes a highway and we’re rolling along at 65 mph, and I told the driver that he was really running the risk of having that bearing seize and lock the wheel.

He told me he knew, and just hoped it would last another week, and the look on his face... clearly a guy struggling to just make ends meet, but he was risking my life on that one. And seeing as cars used for Uber aren’t subject to the same inspections that taxis are, and cars in California aren’t subject to inspections at all, well... that’s more of an issue to me.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

05-26-2019 07:49 AM #23
      I use Uber the most then Lyft but both are pretty much the same drivers.

They are after getting the most service available on the road but at the cost of quality IMO. I'd rather wait 5 minutes and get someone who speaks English and doesn't drive a POS both of which tend to smell. I'd say I turn away about 10% of my rides if they are not up to standards and I'm not bashful about telling them.
      2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport | BMS JB4 | 395awhp/430awtq
      2018 Ruby Red Metallic Lincoln MK-C Reserve | AWD 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife's
      2001 Patriot Blue Pearl Jeep Cherokee Limited - Son's

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-26-2019 08:40 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      Maybe it's the journalism degree in me, but I've developed this personal theory after all these years that there is a sort of Uber-cabal of dudes who pimp out young immigrants, provide them with leased Nissans and Corollas and take a cut of their earnings, because there is no way in hell some of these drivers have had the capacity to go through the purchasing, start-up and driving process without some sort of shenanigans along the way.
      That's not entirely different from how the cab cabals work in major cities.

My firm represents a ride sharing company (won't say which one) but as sleazy as personally I think they are, medallion owners in big cities like Boston and NY are even scummier.
      iain

Cars
      12' CTS-V
      05-26-2019 12:46 PM #25
      What is a medallion owner?
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast