Fourtitude.com - 1975 Bricklin SV-1: The "Safety First" Sports Car | MotorWeek
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. Member andlf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2008
      Location
      CTG, NC
      Posts
      7,914
      Cars
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      05-23-2019 11:00 AM #1
      Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      26,877
      Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-23-2019 01:08 PM #2
      It needs an engine swap.

      The 5.7L from 1975 was horribly anemic.
      test test Maki says "hello"

    4. Senior Member dubdaze68's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2001
      Posts
      21,631
      Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-23-2019 01:23 PM #3
      Malcolm Bricklin. I am never sure if he was a genius, or a madman. He got a lot of money from, I think, AAA and Montgomery Ward for development of this.
      DCIVW
      CE.

    5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      40,687
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-23-2019 02:50 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Malcolm Bricklin. I am never sure if he was a genius, or a madman. He got a lot of money from, I think, AAA and Montgomery Ward for development of this.
      Montgomery Ward? Man, the last time I thought about them was 30 years ago when I saw a dry rotted Montgomery Ward branded spare tire in a derelict Beetle!


      He gave us this, the Yugo and in the early '60s, Subaru. Only one stood the test of time, but that was probably because he washed his hands of it. Or perhaps they did. I'm not up on my early Subie history.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    6. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      32,968
      Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      05-23-2019 09:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      It needs an engine swap.

      The 5.7L from 1975 was horribly anemic.
      The SV-1 was only ever available with an AMC 360 (5.9L) or a Ford 351 (5.8L).
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    7. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      26,877
      Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-23-2019 10:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      The SV-1 was only ever available with an AMC 360 (5.9L) or a Ford 351 (5.8L).
      I was referring to the Windsor 351. Sorry for the rounding error.
      test test Maki says "hello"

    8. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      78,703
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-23-2019 10:26 PM #7
      I have always thought these were cool cars.

      I say that first because...
      This is BY FAR the most positive take I have seen/read on the SV-1.
      These cars were seen as jokes for a long long time.
      That fiberglass/acrylic body caused all sorts of alignment issues.

      "Were do teachers send their kids for time-out in Canada?"

      "I don't know.. where?"

      "The Bricklin."

      (because not running and had enough air leaks fully closed up to allow breathing)
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-24-2019 at 09:07 AM.

    9. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,517
      Cars
      17 Focus ST2, 90 RX7 vert, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      05-24-2019 07:50 AM #8
      There is some old comparison test I saw once, maybe C/D comparing a Bricklin to a 1975 Corvette automatic. The Corvette (keep in mind it only had 165 net hp by this point) blew it away in any measure, including build quality which really says something. The Bricklin was slow, something like 17-18 seconds in the quarter. Also, the Bricklin was a terrible value, the Corvette was far cheaper.

      Oh, and the button operated gullwing doors were dumb. There was an auxiliary panel you had to pop off if the battery died, to open the doors.

      Ahh here it is. Great read!

      https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
      Last edited by 88c900t; 05-24-2019 at 07:55 AM.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    10. Member Stromaluski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2005
      Location
      G'vegas, SC
      Posts
      2,548
      Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      05-24-2019 08:29 AM #9
      If anybody wants one of these as a project, my uncle has one in Greenville, SC that he would almost give away...

    11. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      40,687
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-24-2019 08:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      There is some old comparison test I saw once, maybe C/D comparing a Bricklin to a 1975 Corvette automatic. The Corvette (keep in mind it only had 165 net hp by this point) blew it away in any measure, including build quality which really says something. The Bricklin was slow, something like 17-18 seconds in the quarter. Also, the Bricklin was a terrible value, the Corvette was far cheaper.

      Oh, and the button operated gullwing doors were dumb. There was an auxiliary panel you had to pop off if the battery died, to open the doors.

      Ahh here it is. Great read!

      https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
      Now that I didn't know! It was dumb then and it's still dumb, though somewhat funny that the Corvette now has that.

      Well, it's funny except for the guy who died not knowing how to get out when the battery failed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    12. Member VWestlife's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      9,380
      Cars
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      05-24-2019 09:29 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      He gave us this, the Yugo and in the early '60s, Subaru. Only one stood the test of time, but that was probably because he washed his hands of it. Or perhaps they did. I'm not up on my early Subie history.
      Bricklin founded Subaru of America in 1968, initially importing the tiny, Beetle-like Subaru 360 (pronounced "su-BAR-u" back then):



      His other notable automotive venture was forming a company to sell the Fiat X1/9 and 124 Spider in the U.S. under the Bertone and Pininfarina brand names after Fiat left the U.S. market in 1982.
      __________

    13. Senior Member dubdaze68's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2001
      Posts
      21,631
      Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-24-2019 12:03 PM #12
      Yep, Subaru of America, the Bertone X 1/9 up until almost 1990 (They were just never titled 87's at that point), the Yugo...And the last time I head of him, he was trying to import Chinese cars in the spirit of the Yugo, he had a booth at NAIAS, but they had federalized engines from another manufacturer that I can't remember. I think they were Cherys?

      He knows how to gather money.
      DCIVW
      CE.

    14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      40,687
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-24-2019 02:01 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      Bricklin founded Subaru of America in 1968, initially importing the tiny, Beetle-like Subaru 360 (pronounced "su-BAR-u" back then):

      His other notable automotive venture was forming a company to sell the Fiat X1/9 and 124 Spider in the U.S. under the Bertone and Pininfarina brand names after Fiat left the U.S. market in 1982.
      Huh. I thought that was around '63-'64 or so. Thanks!


      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Yep, Subaru of America, the Bertone X 1/9 up until almost 1990 (They were just never titled 87's at that point), the Yugo...And the last time I head of him, he was trying to import Chinese cars in the spirit of the Yugo, he had a booth at NAIAS, but they had federalized engines from another manufacturer that I can't remember. I think they were Cherys?

      He knows how to gather money.
      I don't think I ever knew he was connected/responsible for the continuation under Bertone and I didn't realize any were under the Pininfarina name.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    Similar Threads

    1. Safety First Air Protect car seat
      By Lypse1.8T in forum Parenting and Family
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
    2. have at it car lounge: the world's first open source car
      By username in forum The Car Lounge
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
    3. Replies: 14
      Last Post: 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
    4. What best deserves the title of "America's Sports Car"?
      By venom600 in forum The Car Lounge
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
    5. Replies: 44
      Last Post: 10-01-2002, 05:33 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •