Fourtitude.com - MINI USA stops importing manual transmissions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      05-23-2019 03:30 AM #1
      https://www.motor1.com/news/350843/m...-manual-sales/

Now, the manual transmission is taking another hit as Mini is temporarily ceasing sales of three-pedal models in the United States.

According to MotoringLife, the decision comes due to the company’s delay in calibration testing that is currently underway. Beginning in July this year, Mini will stop importing manual transmission cars across its entire range. The information was confirmed to the publication by Andrew Cutler, head of Mini Communications in the United States.

There’s one big question that needs an answer here – how long will it be until Mini starts offering cars with manual transmissions again? A good estimation is probably somewhere between one and four months, but that’s just an assumption based on similar delays in the past. Mini’s answer? “As much as we at Mini USA would like to have a definitive timeline, it would be too early to say.”

It’s important to note that, unfortunately, some of the models across the lineup will lose the manual option permanently. At this point, there’s no confirmation about the identity of these vehicles.

On the positive side, July will finally bring a dual-clutch transmission for the Cooper and Cooper S models. Meanwhile, the JCW Clubman and Countryman models are getting a revised eight-speed automatic.
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 05-23-2019 at 03:52 PM.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      05-23-2019 04:55 AM #2
      Mini...Mini. Just admit people aren't buying them in some models anymore. It's okay.
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      05-23-2019 07:41 AM #3
      In the short term, it's easier to just stop importing manuals and see if anyone really cares outside of a few TCLers who would buy them used in 5 years.

Cars
      2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6t
      05-23-2019 08:06 AM #4
      I thought the DCT wasn't coming to the US yet? Has it been confirmed it is?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      With our wheels potential buyers have to first sign a no-camber, no stretch agreement.

05-23-2019 08:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      In the short term, it's easier to just stop importing manuals and see if anyone really cares outside of a few TCLers who would buy them used in 5 years.
      I generally agree with you, but MINI is one of those brands that I feel a manual transmission is part of their identity...and thus, they should offer a manual in the performance versions.

Again, just another nail in the coffin for MINI in my mind.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      05-23-2019 08:38 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I generally agree with you, but MINI is one of those brands that I feel a manual transmission is part of their identity...and thus, they should offer a manual in the performance versions.

Again, just another nail in the coffin for MINI in my mind.
      I can't figure out who Minis are supposed to be fore anymore. They are no longer featherweight and chuckable (or all that mini), yet they are still small for soccer parent duty. They are almost as expensive as BMWs, but without the brand prestige and higher-end features.

The early 00s Mini revival reminds me a bit of VWs new Beetle. The first iteration was a hit, but after that they couldn't figure out what else to do with the concept to keep it relevant.

8. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      05-23-2019 08:59 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I can't figure out who Minis are supposed to be fore anymore. They are no longer featherweight and chuckable (or all that mini), yet they are still small for soccer parent duty. They are almost as expensive as BMWs, but without the brand prestige and higher-end features.
      Well, one of my local standalone mini dealers recently closed. My friend that works at the big bmw/mini combo store here said that another standalone store right outside of philly is probably going to shut down too.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

9. 05-23-2019 09:15 AM #8
      I think this is pretty accurate. MINIs have always intrigued me but I never bit because of the steep entry price and crap reliability.

I still want to drive a JCW.

A few years ago a Raleigh, NC MINI dealership had a Clubman JCW for forty seven thousand dollars, holy fek. It sat there for months, I wondered who would buy it.

Then last year a co-worker's son bought a MINI JCW Coupe for forty three grand. So yeah, people do splurge on them, though I bet that's a small percentage. You can of course option them for way less, but IMO they are pricey for the product and troubles you get.

There's a chance I will get to drive one but I won't pursue owning one. IMO MINIs are like swimming pools, better to know someone with one than to own one and have to keep it up

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      05-23-2019 09:15 AM #9
      QFT

11. 05-23-2019 09:25 AM #10
      Didn't Mini have a higher manual take rate or has it dipped with the introduction of the four door models?

I ended up with a mk6 gti over a mini due to getting colder feet on the reliability, and the GTI has been somewhat reliable so...

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      05-23-2019 09:49 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      Didn't Mini have a higher manual take rate or has it dipped with the introduction of the four door models?

I ended up with a mk6 gti over a mini due to getting colder feet on the reliability, and the GTI has been somewhat reliable so...
      They've made it tougher to spec a manual on some models.

Also, no MT on the JCW...which is completely

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      05-23-2019 09:56 AM #12

The early 00s Mini revival reminds me a bit of VWs new Beetle. The first iteration was a hit, but after that they couldn't figure out what else to do with the concept to keep it relevant.
      I'd say two things are hurting Mini (IMO)

- Competition
      - Reliability

There is more competition these days for the same buyer demographic. One of my friends used to sell these while between news network jobs, many of his customers moved on to other brands like Fiat and Kia. Yes I said Kia because the Soul is absolutely stealing some of the early 2000 Mini adopters who want a quirky car with fun colors. Fiat sales may be low but every sale is probably a lost sale for Mini.

Reliability seemed to be a constant struggle with customers and he very often had to intercede between customers and service techs. The writing is on the wall when a salesmen and loyal owner of two Mini cars says he is over the nickel and dime repairs, he moved on and bought a Veloster Turbo.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-23-2019 at 09:59 AM.

05-23-2019 10:17 AM #13
      https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-arrived.html

Back in 2015, I ordered a rare fully loaded MiniYours "justa" manual. The options cost about the same as the base car. They made me sign a sheet saying I acknowledged I ordered a manual, as they said they would have had to wholesale the car if I bailed on the sale.

Worst car ever. Plagued with issues and the service dept was worse than BMW. I had even bought a maintenance plan, but somehow every time the damn thing went it, it ended up costing me money.

The ordering process was cool though- And I was able to track it while being built, as well as track the actual ship it was on.
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium R-Line 4Motion
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

15. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      05-23-2019 10:23 AM #14

Totally agree. The first gen was neat as it was actually small, and a very engaging drive. I remember test driving one, and regular Cooper, it was super fun with a backend that would step out when pressed in corners. I also tried a JCW S years later and it was quite fun as well, was a rattle trap though which detracted from the overall experience.

The new ones I don't get at all, they look goofy, they are not mini sized anymore but not big enough to be useful and sound like they are meh to drive. Every time I see one, which is rare, I always think "why would someone have bought that vs an equivalently priced MKVII Golf?!?!?!"

16. Junior Member
      Cars
      98' VR6 GTI
      05-23-2019 10:31 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Totally agree. The first gen was neat as it was actually small, and a very engaging drive. I remember test driving one, and regular Cooper, it was super fun with a backend that would step out when pressed in corners. I also tried a JCW S years later and it was quite fun as well, was a rattle trap though which detracted from the overall experience.

The new ones I don't get at all, they look goofy, they are not mini sized anymore but not big enough to be useful and sound like they are meh to drive. Every time I see one, which is rare, I always think "why would someone have bought that vs an equivalently priced MKVII Golf?!?!?!"
      I test drove a mini and a mk7 back to back a while ago and had the same thought - why would I pay more, for a less reliable, less featured car of roughly the same size?

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      05-23-2019 10:42 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post

As a current owner of a r56 JCW, and having driven some of the newer ones recently... I can honestly say that i wont be considering anything from MINI anytime in the near future... They just dont have the same spunk and feel like the first 2 gens did...

And like you said... anything out there that would be comparable to any MINI model, probably does it better and cheaper.... You REALLY have to WANT a MINI to shell out the $$ for one new....

im in the process of getting ready to sell mine right now because ill be needing more doors and a usable back seat, i love this car its super fun to drive...unfortunately it's kind of a one-trick-pony...
      /| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      05-23-2019 11:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      They've made it tougher to spec a manual on some models.

Also, no MT on the JCW...which is completely
      Won't hold the power.

JCW's are getting bumped to 300hp/330tq.
      My Flickr // IG - @mwoodski
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      05-23-2019 01:07 PM #18
      Hey now, I've bought two brand new Minis with manuals (and a used one). And I think most of the Minis people have bought here are manuals.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-23-2019 01:11 PM #19
      When is Death coming for the Miata stick?
      test test Maki says "hello"

21. 05-23-2019 01:33 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Seeing how Mazda made the new Miata lighter and gave it a smidge more power, I would say Mazda gets it and will offer a manual as long as it sells enough to justify it.

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      05-23-2019 01:35 PM #21
      Hey now, I've bought two brand new Minis with manuals (and a used one). And I think most of the Minis people have bought here are manuals.
      I dunno. The one below my username is an automatic. As much as people here complain about how "big" Minis have got, the one my wife bought is the same size as the Honda Fit it replaced.

23. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-23-2019 01:41 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Well, one of my local standalone mini dealers recently closed. My friend that works at the big bmw/mini combo store here said that another standalone store right outside of philly is probably going to shut down too.
      I never understood why they bothered with the standalone store.

Mini was at its best, when it was a boutique or novelty brand, sold in BMW stores, as an accent piece to BMW's more traditional line-up.
      I think its future survival probably sees it going back to the mothership, as a cute quirky compliment to BMW, once again.
      Pare down the line-up to the Countryman and the Copper (coupe and vert), and reduce production numbers (to justify premium pricing).

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      05-23-2019 03:49 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Probably not soon. I suspect Miata will be one of the very last cars available with a stick given that the take rate is still around 75%.

https://jalopnik.com/a-majority-of-m...-tr-1834800182

Cars
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-23-2019 03:57 PM #24
      I leased two brand new MINI"s with manuals, as well. The first, a 2011, was reliable and of quality construction. The second, a 2014, was reliable but had all sorts of questionable quality faults (bad trim bits, constant recalls, etc.). Still, both were fun drives. But we got the BMW because my wife, who loved MINIs and even worked as a MINI Genius for a few years, decided that they had stopped being what they were originally about. Still like R53s and R56s, especially the 2010-13 R56s models, where it seemed quality was the best.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

05-23-2019 09:17 PM #25
      I'm gonna hold on to the reports of some delay regarding certification.

And Manuel will return shortly.

So when (hopefully) Manuel returns, the DCT will remain as the optional transmission for the Cooper, S and related models?

I hope they program so that when the car is in sports mode, the DCT gets really lively. Like you'll feel each shift in your neck, the exhaust overrun gets borderline annoying and larger paddles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast