Fourtitude.com - I bought a 911s on BaT
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 345
    1. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,849
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      05-26-2019 12:53 PM #101
      The clear lenses look much better!
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member funnee84bunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2007
      Location
      state of jefferson oregon
      Posts
      3,101
      Cars
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      05-26-2019 01:58 PM #102
      Can't wait to see it after the decals and the duckbill. Not that it's the same, in any regards, but I love the look of the duckbill and and the side decals on a car that actually gets driven the way it should. Couldn't find the pics of LABrits after the decals were redone, but you get the point.

      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,544
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-26-2019 03:11 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      Can't wait to see it after the decals and the duckbill. Not that it's the same, in any regards, but I love the look of the duckbill and and the side decals on a car that actually gets driven the way it should. Couldn't find the pics of LABrits after the decals were redone, but you get the point.

      I always try to remove the image from quotes, but this car is pure drool-worthy so I'm going to leave it in.

    5. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      20,879
      Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      05-26-2019 06:54 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I always try to remove the image from quotes, but this car is pure drool-worthy so I'm going to leave it in.
      He shipped it from London to LA, so now it lurks locally:





      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    6. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      33,412
      Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      05-26-2019 10:48 PM #105
      Somehow I missed seeing you win the auction. Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-26-2019 11:09 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      He shipped it from London to LA, so now it lurks locally:
      “Lurks Locally” sounds like a band I would totally go see. Just sayin’

    8. Member funnee84bunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2007
      Location
      state of jefferson oregon
      Posts
      3,101
      Cars
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      05-26-2019 11:26 PM #107
      ^^^^^

      didn't mean to hijack the thread dave........I just get excited to see another addition to the collection.....Time to get a warehouse.....
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

    9. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,819
      Cars
      Germany, 1986
      05-26-2019 11:28 PM #108
      I have to admit, every non-turbo 911 G-body I drive feels light year nimbler than the 930. The 930 feels like you are trying to hustle a freight train in a parking garage.

      Congrats on the purchase.

    10. Member GC Autoparts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Norcal
      Posts
      133
      Cars
      2005 Touareg V8 4.2 2010 Jetta TDI Six speed manual 1994 Jetta 5 speed manual
      05-26-2019 11:44 PM #109
      Great Find Saving Saving Saving

    11. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      27,261
      Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-27-2019 12:01 AM #110
      The louvered rear deck lid confuses me - did the previous owner buy a louvered lid from another 911 and install it on the car?
      Otherwise, why doesn't the paint match?
      And the deck lid vent opening looks wrong too.

      Please explain.
      Epstein is alive.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-27-2019 02:30 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      The louvered rear deck lid confuses me - did the previous owner buy a louvered lid from another 911 and install it on the car?
      Otherwise, why doesn't the paint match?
      And the deck lid vent opening looks wrong too:
      Yes, the seller built it like a “rat rod”, purposefully having the rear louvered lid primered and “patina”d and clear coated just as many old pickups are done. One of the reasons some people didn’t bid, I suspect. Which makes me happy because I intend to add a ducktail decklid. So I got a discount for something I expect to replace anyway.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-27-2019 02:37 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      I have to admit, every non-turbo 911 G-body I drive feels light year nimbler than the 930. The 930 feels like you are trying to hustle a freight train in a parking garage.

      Congrats on the purchase.
      Thanks....

      And yeah, I guess I never realized how much heavier the 930 felt until now. It had been years since I had driven a non-Turbo from pre-1985. The 930 is still a hoot and I love it. But this reminds me that even with cars that look alike, by the saw maker, there can be big differences. So drive them all !!

      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      ^^^^^

      didn't mean to hijack the thread dave........I just get excited to see another addition to the collection.....Time to get a warehouse.....
      No hijack at all ! I love that car, it’s a nice motivator!

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-27-2019 02:42 AM #113
      I dropped by the local PCA club car show today and let a couple local teenage kids try out the car. They loved it. The kid who drove it normally drives a GT4 and his dad drives a GT3, but he had never been in an old Porsche.

      Yeah, I live in a whacky town.



      I saw a few others that motivated my eventual modifications....






    15. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,819
      Cars
      Germany, 1986
      05-27-2019 03:15 AM #114
      I think a duck tail will really 'tie the room together' with the wider rear haunches.

      I dont know why but I really hope you dont 'backdate' it. Love it for what it is, but again, its your ride so you do you.

    16. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,819
      Cars
      Germany, 1986
      05-27-2019 03:18 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      Thanks....

      And yeah, I guess I never realized how much heavier the 930 felt until now. It had been years since I had driven a non-Turbo from pre-1985. The 930 is still a hoot and I love it. But this reminds me that even with cars that look alike, by the saw maker, there can be big differences. So drive them all !!
      I kind of wonder if its the turbo tie rods that everyone does that makes it feel so much heavier.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-27-2019 12:32 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      I kind of wonder if its the turbo tie rods that everyone does that makes it feel so much heavier.
      I"m not sure that would be it... isn't the whole point of the Turbo tie rods to improve steering feel and direct response? (they have the spherical metal ball joints instead of "spongy" rubber). Although I know ZERO about the steering component differences, I've got to to imagine it is the entire steering set up from the factory being more heavy duty: steering rack, dampers, etc? It seems that wit the "snap" oversteer potential with the Turbo power pant, the engineers would make the steering a tad less nimble just so they wouldn't exacerbate the on/off nature of the turbo lag.

      IDK, but today I'm going to be doing some under-car exploration of the new one (aka. the "Outlaw"). Maybe it has the Turbo tie-rods, who knows?

    18. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,849
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      05-27-2019 01:09 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I"m not sure that would be it... isn't the whole point of the Turbo tie rods to improve steering feel and direct response? (they have the spherical metal ball joints instead of "spongy" rubber). Although I know ZERO about the steering component differences, I've got to to imagine it is the entire steering set up from the factory being more heavy duty: steering rack, dampers, etc? It seems that wit the "snap" oversteer potential with the Turbo power pant, the engineers would make the steering a tad less nimble just so they wouldn't exacerbate the on/off nature of the turbo lag.

      IDK, but today I'm going to be doing some under-car exploration of the new one (aka. the "Outlaw"). Maybe it has the Turbo tie-rods, who knows?

      Alignment would have a huge effect as well as the caster to the lighter feeling of the steering. After changing the LCA bushings and dialing out a lot of the toe in on both of my Turbo's they drive damn close to GT3 steering feel. I would imagine it is very similar to how the 930's are setup vs the Carrera that a lot of it is alignment and perhaps larger rubber bushings? The wider rear track also will make it push more.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    19. Member AlBeezy36's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 25th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      2,596
      Cars
      LS430, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      05-27-2019 01:20 PM #118
      Dave, car looks and sounds great. It's great to read about a BaT experience go smoothly. The narrow/wide mix-up is unique and I'm super jealous of your pop-out windows Congrats!

      I could see non-turbo tie rods feeling lighter. How is the bump steer? My car feels heavier or tighter after the turbo tie-rods but I also did ball joints and strut mounts so who knows. What I can say is that they were a huge improvement in feel and confidence over the Carrera units. All 911's should've come with one tie-rod config IMO.
      - Alex

    20. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,819
      Cars
      Germany, 1986
      05-28-2019 01:52 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by AlBeezy36 View Post
      Dave, car looks and sounds great. It's great to read about a BaT experience go smoothly. The narrow/wide mix-up is unique and I'm super jealous of your pop-out windows Congrats!

      I could see non-turbo tie rods feeling lighter. How is the bump steer? My car feels heavier or tighter after the turbo tie-rods but I also did ball joints and strut mounts so who knows. What I can say is that they were a huge improvement in feel and confidence over the Carrera units. All 911's should've come with one tie-rod config IMO.
      I think the steering racks are the same, the turbo struts are different though.

      But to be perfectly honest, I didnt know what all the 911 handling fuss was about till I drove your car Al.

    21. Member AlBeezy36's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 25th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      2,596
      Cars
      LS430, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      05-28-2019 02:15 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      I think the steering racks are the same, the turbo struts are different though.

      But to be perfectly honest, I didnt know what all the 911 handling fuss was about till I drove your car Al.
      The front rebuild was a big improvement, Shannon. You're kind dude.

      The struts I looked at for our gen were the same. I have a Carrera and Turbo strut that I've compared side-by-side. They're identical. Inserts would be different (Boge vs Bilstein or...) but the tube/spindle itself is the same.

      For 84-89, I believe only control arms and tie-rods are different between turbo/carrera. The turbo control arms have some type of anti-dive config that I believe is just a raised forward mount. I think it may be same for SC. Not sure about earlier.

      Someone more knowledgeable feel free to chime in.
      - Alex

    22. Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Location
      World's #5 Economy
      Posts
      3,386
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      05-28-2019 02:35 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I dropped by the local PCA club car show today and let a couple local teenage kids try out the car. They loved it. The kid who drove it normally drives a GT4 and his dad drives a GT3, but he had never been in an old Porsche.

      Yeah, I live in a whacky town.

      Ha! I know exactly what town and shopping center that is. Spent a fair amount of time there back in the day, still have family about 15 miles away.
      Last edited by DerSpiegel; 05-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2007
      Location
      Sarasota, FL/Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      8,270
      Cars
      2018 Golf R 1980 Porsche 911SC 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      05-28-2019 03:05 PM #122
      So good to see the car in your hands and you're already enjoying it.

      I've seen a million hot-rodded G-bodies, but I admit there's something rather special (and very cool) about yours!

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-28-2019 04:29 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by AlBeezy36 View Post
      The front rebuild was a big improvement, Shannon. You're kind dude.

      The struts I looked at for our gen were the same. I have a Carrera and Turbo strut that I've compared side-by-side. They're identical. Inserts would be different (Boge vs Bilstein or...) but the tube/spindle itself is the same.
      I’m going to need to do more research on this. After looking under my car, I would consider a full steering and suspension rebuild (once I confirm I’ll actually get the car fixed up for CA emissions). I’ve looked at various components but I’m still not sure if there are some I can/should leave alone (torsion bars, etc.).

      After I get it registered, a full undercarriage steam clean is the start of evaluations.






    25. Member AlBeezy36's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 25th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      2,596
      Cars
      LS430, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      05-28-2019 05:50 PM #124
      Dave, I think you've already got the turbo tie-rods. If you measure the distance between your caliper mounting bolts it looks like you may have later year struts as well. I see a wedge bolt at the bottom (bolt that attaches your ball joint to strut), and what appears to be 3.5" caliper bolt spacing. Older configs would've had a roll pin and closer caliper bolt spacing. The green color I'm going to guess means Bilsteins. My Boge were black. Maybe you can get away with less than anticipated

      The crappy Carrera style tie-rods look like this:



      Here is the Pelican post where I started my strut rabbit hole. Turbo struts were cheaper than non-turbo for some reason. I wanted proof they'd fit before I ordered them.

      http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...arrowbody.html
      - Alex

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,841
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-28-2019 06:28 PM #125
      ^^ Great catch, AIB, I think they are definitely the Bilstein struts. I’ll have the car up on a rack tomorrow to take a closer look at the tie rods. I also have a huge stack of receipts going back to the 80s on this car that I’ll have to dig through. But I’m told many receipts are missing, so it’s an incomplete picture in either case. Maybe all I need is a clean up and a few bushings!
      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 05-29-2019 at 12:14 PM.

    Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 211
      Last Post: 02-25-2016, 11:53 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •