Fourtitude.com - I bought a 911s on BaT
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-18-2019 10:15 PM #1
      If you are a reader of the “Bring-a-Trailer watch” thread, you already know that I just bought this car, but I thought I’d start a thread to document my experience with this car.

Here is the link to the auction on Bring-a-Trailer:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-porsche-911s-22/

I woke up Thursday with no real intention of buying a car that day. But I did. I have been watching various backdated and cloned versions of 911RS and 911RSR type cars on BaT and on various websites. This particular car caught my eye because although it wasn’t an RS clone, it was a genuine 911s from 1977 which had steel flares and a nicely started interior. Seemed like less than half way to an RS clone with some interesting bits. I thought if I could buy it low enough, it could be a fun project to take to a full RSR clone or maybe just drive as is.

The car was built as an outlaw hot rod without consideration for originality and clone-ness. So many people stayed away. A non original engine also concerned some bidders.

As the auction came towards the close, it looked like I might actually get it under $40k. That was my cutoff. In the end I was high bidder at $41k. Kinda shocked myself but feel like I got a good deal. Plans to be further discussed....

My lovely wife was cheering me on as the auction ended. I told her my plans would start with:

* headliner replacement
      * clear headlight lenses
      * ducktail and new rear decklid (paint)
      * Carrera Side script
      * possible pepito (houndstooth) seat inserts.

Over time as I drive it and if I enjoy it, I would put on new exhaust, clean up the engine and maybe go with a full conversion to an RS front bumper and maybe rear bumper. I could even go so far as to have it painted in green or tangerine. However, those things are probably unlikely. If I did, though, I could be all in on this car and far less than what most of the backdated RS clones are selling for these days.

For now, I’m just going to enjoy it. My next post will update you on the process of getting the car in my hands from Connecticut to California. Then I will update you on the process of getting the car recertified in California and passing omissions testing, given that it is a post 1975 car and will have to pass smog testing. Although the engine has been swapped, it is a newer engine and larger displacement, both of which are allowable by California law.
      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 05-19-2019 at 11:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      05-18-2019 10:20 PM #2
      Congrats man! I've always loved your collection
      Unf*ckwithable

4. Member
      Cars
      05-18-2019 10:22 PM #3
      After the auction, I immediately contacted the seller. We immediately hit it off, as he was a terrific guy and a super car enthusiast. He had put lots of love and attention into this car and although it was a build that others may not have seen as standard, he did it just the way he liked it. It turns out he has quite a bit of background information and documentation on the car, which did not come out in the auction.

We spoke for about an hour, and got everything arranged. Within 24 hours after the auction ended on Thursday, I had wired him the money on Friday morning and he had started to FedEx the car documentation and the signed ownership papers. Within 36 hours, I had already arranged an enclosed trailer from Connecticut, and arranged to have it picked up on Saturday. The car got picked up today, less than 48 hours after the end of the auction, and it is on its way to California. The seller and I have been talking quite a bit, and he really misses the car already. He’s making room for a 993 that he has had his own for a while, but he is also building a larger garage and has asked to potentially buy this car back next year. I did not have the heart to tell him it would not be looking the same at that time if he did, but I told him he would get first shot if I did sell.

Here it is getting loaded on the trailer.

5. Member
      Cars
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      05-18-2019 10:32 PM #4
      If that car is accurately represented (and I bet it is based on your seller interaction) you did very well.

More importantly it looks like a whole lot of fun.

Are you thinking you can integrate the ducktail with the louvers?

6. Member
      Cars
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      05-18-2019 10:36 PM #5
      Those haunches are amazing. Well bought.

I’ve been following a lot of the older 911 auctions and wondering if I could feasibly daily one. Like you said, it’s just an itch you’ve got to scratch sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      05-18-2019 10:37 PM #6
      That's awesome - I love that the PO built it to his specs and not to conform to someone else's image of "ideal". It'll make a great addition to your garage! Excited to see what you do with it. That seems like a terrific deal, btw.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

8. Member
      Cars
      2018 Golf R 1980 Porsche 911SC 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      05-18-2019 10:48 PM #7
      Dave, congrats!

I watched that car come up and instantly thought is was a great car for the right buyer. So cool it turned out to be you!

I love a hot-rodded G-body and just like you with your new S, I don't care much at all about originality with my SC. I'm building it the way I like it and driving the hell out of it as I go

Can't wait to watch what you do with yours

Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-18-2019 10:55 PM #8
      Does BaT work like eBay, where bids a few days out are low, and the bidding shoots towards the moon in the last few minutes or seconds?

How far under $41K was this car leading up to the finale?

test test Maki says "hello"

10. Member
      Cars
      05-18-2019 11:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Are you thinking you can integrate the ducktail with the louvers?
      The plan would be a whole new deck lid with duck tail, keeping the louvered one intact. Ideally, depending on the hinge setups, I’d love to be able to swap back and forth between two options as mood strikes. That may be hard.

11. Member
      Cars
      05-18-2019 11:07 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Does BaT work like eBay, where bids a few days out are low, and the bidding shoots towards the moon in the last few minutes or seconds?

How far under $41K was this car leading up to the finale?

The great part about BaT is that you can go read the auction thread and see exactly when each bid was placed.

But yeah, much action happens at the end. This one was at $30k or so with an hour to go.

I sold a car on BaT that was at $48k with 20 minutes to go. Then to $80k at 5 min and ended at $105k in the last seconds.
      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 05-19-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-18-2019 11:15 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I sold a car on BaT that was at $40k with 20 minutes to go. Then to $80k at 5 min and ended at $102k in the last seconds.
      That's definitely like eBay (though without the "k"). It's tough not to get into a last second frenzy and blow your budget...
      test test Maki says "hello"

13. Member
      05-18-2019 11:25 PM #12
      That carveith IROC front and rear or SC/RS front bumpers & either an IROC or ducktail would be perfect

Cool car!
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 - 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC / 65 Ducati Falcon 80

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      05-18-2019 11:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      That's definitely like eBay (though without the "k"). It's tough not to get into a last second frenzy and blow your budget...
      Bat also makes it much more difficult to snipe. The auction ends 2 minutes after the last bid. So auctions can go well after the ending time, if there is a lot of action.

Can’t wait to see what you do with it Dave. And fingers crossed on the Smog.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

Cars
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      05-18-2019 11:55 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Bat also makes it much more difficult to snipe. The auction ends 2 minutes after the last bid. So auctions can go well after the ending time, if there is a lot of action.
      I've sat and thought about this, and I think this process is generally the best for both buyers and sellers. The seller gets what people are willing to pay, and a buyer who really wants something has time to sit and think about each bid. In a sniping situation like eBay uses, it is just a shot in the dark in the last 15 seconds if you are going to be the high bidder.

Killer score Dave. I think you did very well considering how crazy early 911 auctions can get. What the ETA to California? A few days?

16. Member
      Cars
      05-19-2019 12:16 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Those haunches are amazing. Well bought.

I’ve been following a lot of the older 911 auctions and wondering if I could feasibly daily one. Like you said, it’s just an itch you’ve got to scratch sometime.
      I could see you in this one...daily!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-911t-21/

17. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-19-2019 12:38 AM #16
      Awesome pick up! This era 911 is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      * headliner replacement
      * clear headlight lenses
      * ducktail and new rear decklid (paint)
      * Carrera Side script
      * possible pepito (houndstooth) seat inserts.
      Great taste--I didn't know it needed a headliner but otherwise that's exactly what I was imagining looking at the pic.

Oh...and thinking about it...if some Fuchs wheels happened to appear on the car they might work too.

05-19-2019 12:47 AM #17
      Congratulations! Interested in reading the updates. The planned modifications all sound like improvements to me.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

19. Member
      Cars
      05-19-2019 01:40 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Dave, congrats!

I watched that car come up and instantly thought is was a great car for the right buyer. So cool it turned out to be you!

I love a hot-rodded G-body and just like you with your new S, I don't care much at all about originality with my SC. I'm building it the way I like it and driving the hell out of it as I go
      Your car looks fantastic! I may be hitting you up for some advice! My 1986 930 is bone stock so I've never done any modding to a car of that era. Noob!!

20. 05-19-2019 02:44 AM #19
      That looks like a lot of fun, great spec and I love the looks of it all but wouldn't it be better on slimmer tyres at the rear?

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-19-2019 03:15 AM #20
      Great find Dave! I love seeing these cars built and driven as hard as they're meant to be driven.

Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      That looks like a lot of fun, great spec and I love the looks of it all but wouldn't it be better on slimmer tyres at the rear?
      I'm interested in this as well. Tire/wheel fitment seems to be rather finicky on older 911's... the aesthetics can change a lot with a small increase in tire/rim size.

22. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      05-19-2019 10:14 AM #21
      OP, cool car!

I don't know Porsches well. What makes this a hot rod? I see louvers. What do they mean to this car?

23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-19-2019 10:27 AM #22
      Congrats Dave! Great to see the mid year cars getting some love!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      2013 Volt
      05-19-2019 10:32 AM #23
      Those look like original French-spec selective-yellow headlamps, from back when those were required in France (pre-EU harmonization). There were three ways of doing selective-yellow: yellow bulb OR yellow reflector OR yellow lens. Pretty much everyone, including all the French manufacturers, just put in the required bulbs in the same silver/clear headlamps that could be used in most other countries. Porsche, for some reason that I've never understood, made entirely different headlamps with the yellow lenses, which changed the look of the car significantly and must have cost more to make for a relatively small portion of their market.

Cars
      One SUV, One CUV
      05-19-2019 10:58 AM #24
      That 3.0L lump is arguably bulletproof.
      Imo, the most favoured of that generation 911 for reliability and problem free fun (if maintained of course)

Your list of plans sounds great - I would add some more comfy seats, but it’s your comfort

The chrome trim looks good with the chrome lipped hoops.
      Sub’d!

26. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-19-2019 11:05 AM #25
      Don't let its "Widowmaker" name worry you, just play it cool and remember how that rear end has a habit of breaking loose.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast