Fourtitude.com - 3.6 24V Timing Chains Information Resource Thread BLV/CGRA/BLH Touareg/CC/Passat/Atlas/Q7/Cayenne
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. 08-05-2019 09:56 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      If you haven't pulled a VR6 in the platform you are working on the job can be a real bear. On the Passat/CC I have seen one person at the junkyard who would leave the transmission in the car and just pull the 3.6. I want to try this at the junkyard to test this technique to see if can shave a good amount of headache.
      Hey G60ing, should I removed the head and send it to be machined? I have the bare block on the hoist rn the chains should be here by Tuesday. Iím just wondering if i should stop being a ***** and pull the head! I did notice tons of carbon and I donít want to hit only the intake side with cleaners and still have a bunch of carbon on the exhaust side. Or is there another way of getting the carbon off without head removal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      08-05-2019 11:04 AM #27
      Better ask Paul. I'm torn on this subject. You can get the carbon out with a walnut blaster without having to pull the head.

The head is fairly complicated and I there is so many potential areas somebody could screw something up. Decking is good but it changes the timing, that said you are installing a spacer, that too will mess with the timing.

I can't help you other than say chose wisely.

If you were doing port injection the fuel would clean the carbon out.

4. 08-05-2019 01:13 PM #28
      Better ask Paul. I'm torn on this subject. You can get the carbon out with a walnut blaster without having to pull the head.

The head is fairly complicated and I there is so many potential areas somebody could screw something up. Decking is good but it changes the timing, that said you are installing a spacer, that too will mess with the timing.

I can't help you other than say chose wisely.

If you were doing port injection the fuel would clean the carbon out.
      Iíve removed a 2 liter fsi head many times, my trick is buying 5 different colors of nail polish to mark the teeth of things that are in time and take a picture. Only works if it was in time before plus I also have a copy of the Bentley manual. Iím just truly scared because this is my daily and Iíve never worked on a VR before... Iíve already gone 3 weeks without a car killing my pockets because me and gf have to carpool in this terrible Seattle traffic! Iím into the loan for 1 more year and I donít want another loan. Iím at 154k miles bought last year at 89k Miles. I want to be able to get 250k out of this block and trans before I purchase a new daily! Idk who Paul is whatís his handle or username?

Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      08-05-2019 02:48 PM #29
      Hi!

I have run a few different junkyard heads and motors and a few gallons of fuel port injected clean them right up. My current ports are shiny after just a day running methanol.

I would leave the head and media blast it. Dry ice works best but hard to rent. Lots of folks have walnut you can borrow.
      -Paul
      1992 Corrado - ALL MOTOR Drag Project [email protected] and falling
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning

Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      08-06-2019 06:40 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      Hi!

I have run a few different junkyard heads and motors and a few gallons of fuel port injected clean them right up. My current ports are shiny after just a day running methanol.

I would leave the head and media blast it. Dry ice works best but hard to rent. Lots of folks have walnut you can borrow.
      Walnut is great. Works like a charm!

7. 08-06-2019 07:29 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      Walnut is great. Works like a charm!
      What about water meth??? I read a thread about water meth cleaning the inside of the block within a day of use?

Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      08-06-2019 08:00 PM #32
      If its port injected it may work. It really depends on how caked on it is.
      -Paul

9. 08-06-2019 08:41 PM #33
      If its port injected it may work. It really depends on how caked on it is.
      Itís no where near what the 2liter turbos used to come in the shop lookin like, but enough to make me wanna pull the head...

10. 08-11-2019 11:49 PM #34
      So one of the guides broke and the pic of the bentley manual I have is for a 2.8 completely different top ends.... Iím about to pack the engine up onto a truck and take it to a shop to get it put back in time... Iíve gone too long without my daily and carpooling is getting too expensive! Can someone shed some light on timing this engine!!

Cars
      08-12-2019 06:06 AM #35
      The details of how to time the engine are in the first post.

12. 08-12-2019 09:25 AM #36
      So one of the guides broke and the pic of the bentley manual I have is for a 2.8 completely different top ends.... Iím about to pack the engine up onto a truck and take it to a shop to get it put back in time... Iíve gone too long without my daily and carpooling is getting too expensive! Can someone shed some light on timing this engine!!

13. 08-13-2019 01:34 AM #37
      I just thought Iíd add some photos since there are none! Got it all timed and just waiting for more parts like exhaust manifold studs, plastic coolant tubes... oh and locktite EVERYTHING! Not mentioned but should be!

14. 08-13-2019 01:47 AM #38
      Also not mentioned the O-rings that are in the housing of where cam sensors sit need to be replaced. I took that cover off and found metal shavings. There are 6 of them @ $.86 a pop you have the engine out if it needs replacing.. replace it!

Cars
      08-13-2019 10:24 AM #39
      careful on the oil pump, I believe (its been a little while) that there is a circle with an arrow that should be pointed to the 12 o'clock position.

Also less important but good to verify is the crank gear has an angled tooth that should point to the split seam of the main cap.

Did you lock the cams?

Did you lock the fuel pump? (looks correct)

16. 08-13-2019 10:44 AM #40
      careful on the oil pump, I believe (its been a little while) that there is a circle with an arrow that should be pointed to the 12 o'clock position.

Also less important but good to verify is the crank gear has an angled tooth that should point to the split seam of the main cap.

Did you lock the cams?

Did you lock the fuel pump? (looks correct)
      I had help from m buddy who is a VR6 master here in Seattle he just told me what to do from across the shop and I got it done everything is in position with the helpful notches hidden around the block. Btw look up BUG-AID if you ever wanna do a crazy VR swap golf or beetle theyíve got some crazy ****aki on the lifts lol from turbo VR CORADO to turbo VR golf 3!

Cars
      08-14-2019 08:08 AM #41
      My friendís 2011 3.6 CC suffered some severe issues due to screen being pushed through and into the cam phasers. One phaser was locked up. Talk about EXPENSIVE. I probably would have just bought a low mile motor it was so so expensive to replace them. 125k miles

He only had one code: 000020 - Bank 1: Camshaft B (Exhaust)
      P0014 - 004 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - MIL ON

Guides were worn pretty good. Upper chain was stretched to the point of having slack when motor was at TDC.

The carbon buildup wasnít bad at 125k miles:
      Last edited by G60ING; 08-14-2019 at 09:49 AM.

18. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      08-14-2019 09:46 AM #42
      Any interest in taking the phaser apart to see if it could be repaired? I know the intake and old exhaust ones come apart pretty easily.
      -Paul

19. 08-14-2019 10:22 AM #43
      Yeah oil changes is why these chains & guides fail.. I havenít heard about the chains stretching tho. Thatís real abuse done to that motor!

Cars
      08-14-2019 03:12 PM #44
      Any interest in taking the phaser apart to see if it could be repaired? I know the intake and old exhaust ones come apart pretty easily.
      He is in Colorado. Iíll ping him and see.

The screen has been a known potential issue.

21. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      08-14-2019 07:30 PM #45
      I have seen them clog and frag but that one looks pretty good.
      -Paul

Cars
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      08-14-2019 09:36 PM #46
      Oh yeah. Always down to see what failed and confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by MN-VDUBCLUB View Post
      Yeah oil changes is why these chains & guides fail.. I havenít heard about the chains stretching tho. Thatís real abuse done to that motor!

Oil changes done every 5k pretty religiously. I drive the car hard, I maintain it appropriately.

Youíve clearly never worked on many VRs. Chain stretch has always been an issue. For the mileage and how hard the car is driven Iíd say the guide wear is pretty normal.

Head was clean inside as I expected. No other signs of wear or slowing down.

Donít you have some FSI fueling to 750hp to figure out?

I have seen them clog and frag but that one looks pretty good.
      Definitely a good sized hole in that filter. As Iím sure you were thinking when I sent you the message on FB.

Confirmed screen bits in the exhaust adjuster. Intake cam adjuster didnít show any abnormal wear at all.

Now onto the fun pics

Scoring can be seen on the internal wheel. Just the one lobe of it though.

Other lobes looked like this:

Outer ring:

And of course my helper...
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

23. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Cars
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      08-15-2019 08:42 AM #47
      Just enough crap to get it jammed
      -Paul

24. 08-16-2019 03:42 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      Oh yeah. Always down to see what failed and confirm it.

Oil changes done every 5k pretty religiously. I drive the car hard, I maintain it appropriately.

Youíve clearly never worked on many VRs. Chain stretch has always been an issue. For the mileage and how hard the car is driven Iíd say the guide wear is pretty normal.

Head was clean inside as I expected. No other signs of wear or slowing down.

Donít you have some FSI fueling to 750hp to figure out?

Definitely a good sized hole in that filter. As Iím sure you were thinking when I sent you the message on FB.

Confirmed screen bits in the exhaust adjuster. Intake cam adjuster didnít show any abnormal wear at all.

Now onto the fun pics

Scoring can be seen on the internal wheel. Just the one lobe of it though.

Other lobes looked like this:

Outer ring:

And of course my helper...
      Lol first off. There are 10 turboíd 3.6ís out there making well over 650. all in golfs, 1 CC, and 2 skodaís. Just remember how much of my paynis was in your mouth when my cc has a big ol precision joint!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12