Fourtitude.com - Code P0016 followed with strange behavior
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 05-17-2019 02:12 PM #1
      I have a 2007 vw gti that has 355k miles, it was running perfectly fine til last night after filling up it started to stumble while accelerating thought it was bad gas. I got it up to highway speeds and it held speed fine but when i came to a stop was running extremely rough. I stopped the car shut it off and after 30 minutes the car started up and it is running perfectly fine today.

There was no strange noises, no smoke however there was a strong smell of oil burning when it was running poorly but as stated no smoke in the engine bay or out exhaust.

The other strange thing is when it was running like crap and could barely accelerate i managed 35 mpg over 90 miles driven.

I got the codes read today and all that was read was p0016 p2181 and a code for oxygen sensor.

Like I said car is running perfectly fine today. Just trying to figure what direction i go and where to look first to make sure i dont make it worse

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      `07 gti K04'd
      05-17-2019 08:17 PM #2
      OK, P0016 is the cam correlation...the relation of cams needs to be checked, timing belt alignment needs checked, and also the cam chain(number of links between the two cam sprockets). Cam shaft adjuster may cause it, but all the other stuff needs to be checked. Basically, the timing belt may be damaged or may have jumped or, the cam chain tensioner is worn and can no longer keep the two cams timed.

P2181 is a coolant or sensor issue...what are the time stamps for each?
      Last edited by ROH ECHT; 05-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
      K04 PLAY...`07 GTI/GIAC K04 & DSG Tunes/AWE DV/AUTOTECH HPFP/TORQBYTE PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmTc, WGA & T-B HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH Eng.&Trans MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R ARB's/TSW 8X18 NURB's...ZOOM DIS! 2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH

4. Yesterday 10:48 AM #3
      If the car is running fine today after acting up yesterday, he does not have timing issues and the timing belt and chain are fine. Possibly issues with N205 solenoid or camshaft adjuster....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      `07 gti K04'd
      Yesterday 04:38 PM #4
      ...and possible the N205 isn't receiving oil pressure to allow it to function. Screen inside may be plugged or the N205 is simply failed. Hopefully, you do not see misfire codes because that would point to possibly bent valves.
      K04 PLAY...`07 GTI/GIAC K04 & DSG Tunes/AWE DV/AUTOTECH HPFP/TORQBYTE PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmTc, WGA & T-B HOSE/TECH.TUNING TB/BSH Eng.&Trans MOUNT's/NSP BOOST GAGE/AP Lite-PULLEY/NEUS. P-FLO&BOOST PIPES/13.2"BBK/BILSTEIN B8 DAMPERS/W.A.L.K./H&R SS SPRINGS+F&R ARB's/TSW 8X18 NURB's...ZOOM DIS! 2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH

7. Yesterday 05:10 PM #5
      No misfire codes at this time, plan is to get timing belt service done next week. I know with my schedule i have been a little negligent with oil changes as I drive for a living at about 600 miles a day so i am sure the dirty oil does not help. I do use castrol syntec when i do oil changes and nothing else.

Can't believe I have 355k miles on factory turbo, engine, and transmission in this car and until yesterday was running flawlessly and also timing belt was last done 220k miles ago.

Cars
      `07 gti K04'd
      Yesterday 08:24 PM #6
      Um...yeah, that's way more neglect than I could give it.

But it needs some care now...hopefully a going through will allow it to roll on towards 1 million miles.