Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      05-15-2019 05:10 PM #1
      We have had a Netgear R7000 for a few years now, but lately it is starting to act up where even if you reboot the router, it then loses it's mind thinking the ISP is not working correctly, causing me to have to restart the cable modem, wait a few minutes and then the router realizes all is good and gets back online. Sometimes if we have people over and I want to temporarily set up a guest network, it locks up where you can't actually even access the router via the web interface, today it just decided to randomly drop wifi until I went through the whole ordeal of rebooting it, waiting, then rebooting the cable modem, then waiting, and then it was back online. It's running a version of ASUSWRT-Merlin, last time I tried to update the firmware it refused to accept the update.

Since I work from home, I can't have something that may decide to randomly quit working for periods of time. So am on the look out for a new router, realistically I don't think I need a mesh type of set up. The router is in the living room and I get no signal issues in the basement on the opposite corner of the house, I would like something with 4 ethernet ports (although not a deal breaker) as I typically have an Xbox, Roku plugged into it as well as a 3rd port going to a switch in the garage for everything else that is hard wired. I forget what is plugged into the 4th port, might be nothing now, but was a Smart TV.

I'd like something with decent parental controls (teenage boys in the house), currently the R7000 allows me to filter specific categories as well as set time blocks when the wifi is cut off to their devices. I am sure most allow it, but I want to be able to assign IP addresses, and it needs to have no problem with several devices (currently have 33 connected to the Netgear).

Like I wrote above, I don't really need a mesh system, but looking at the pricing of a decent wireless router, for example the Linksys AC2200 is $179, I could pick up a pair of Google WiFi routers for $200 and have one upstairs and one in the basement. Yes, I realize the Linksys has up to 2.2GB speed where as the Google is only 1.2GB, but the majority of things we use for video or gaming are hard wired, so it's not likely to be a problem. Not sure what the range is like on mesh routers though, if I am mowing the yard I can maintain wifi all the way to the mailbox which is about 400' from the house, would be nice to keep that level of coverage. Wifi 6 would be a bit of a waste of money for me, at least in the foreseeable future, so no need to spend $400+ on a router that has it.

So, any recommendations? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-16-2019 05:59 PM #2
      I have the Linksys AC1750. And never drops connection even on the Wi-Fi. And it's fast enough for 2 people using computers at the same time. It's about 100 bucks or so.