Fourtitude.com - 3 Things You Love About your Car. And 3 Things You Hate.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    1. 05-14-2019 09:26 AM #1
      2017 Golf R

Three things I :

1) The power, it's so damn fast.

2) The handling, the way it darts around is so perfectly damped and feels perfect

3) The running costs, 60,000 km in and no surprises

Three things I :

1) When I hit a really big unexpected bump it feels like the front shocks are going to punch a hole right through the hood.

2) It's just a VW and not that sexy, very utilitarian

3) The tires don't have any 'lip' on them and the rims scratch so easily with the slightest touch of curb

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      torque and no torque
      05-14-2019 09:51 AM #2
      Focus

Three things I :

1) The torque. Super punchy right where you need it on the street.

2) The overly-quick steering rack

3) Reliability. Knock on wood - a frayed AC belt and a warrantied crank sensor have been the only issues over 3 years.

Three things I :

1) Non-defeatable, brake-based "eLSD" makes this car useless on the track

2) Minimal back seat legroom for the few times I need it. With my driver's seat in the preferred position, no one can sit behind me.

3) SYNC likes to have a stroke every few months, requiring a fuse pull to reset

BRZ

Three things I :

1) The chassis

Three things I :

1) The engine

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      05-14-2019 09:53 AM #3
      2013 Dodge Charger

Three things I :

1) Power. Driving a big balls nasty V8 is fun!

2) Style. I really like the way it looks, even after 6 years.

3) Comfort/Space. I am 6'2" with broad shoulders, long legs, and it's a big car with plenty of room. The Road & Track package has the SRT bucket seats, so they're very comfy. Also there is plenty of space for 4 adults and a kid seat, and the trunk can carry tons of stuff.

Three things I :

1) Transmission. I don't exactly hate it, but it's definitely tuned for gas mileage, even in Sport mode. I often use the paddle shifters to hold gears.

2) Weight. It's a big, heavy sedan. Even though I enjoy driving it, my next car probably will be a size down.

3) Automatic Climate. The auto HVAC in this car has a lot of trouble when the weather outside is between 40-50 degrees. It wants to blow HOT air when I don't really need it to be so aggressive about heating. I often have to turn the temp down to the lowest setting just to avoid it blowing hot. Honestly I miss just having a knob for temp.

5. 05-14-2019 10:11 AM #4
      2017 Chevy SS

Three things I :

1) The drive train. The LS3 makes for big displacement fun, with a great sound, and just wants to be wound out. The Tremec TR6060 is super direct with a great feel.

2) The suspension. MRC dampers are truly magical and the setup in general makes for a large car that really shrinks around you when you push it.

3) The practicality. It sounds and hustles like a Camaro, but has four doors, a very usable back seat, and a cavernous trunk.

Three things I :

1) The seats. I'm not a little guy, but they still really need a bit more bolstering. Plus the heating and ventilation functions are mediocre at best.

2) The infotainment. MyLink was already two or three generations old when the car was new. It's reasonably quick, but it just feels dated compared to the current system in our Equinox.

3) The paint. It's fragile, even by modern standards.

Realized I should do the T/A too.

1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Three things I :

1) The engine. It's a warmed 455 with a RAIV cam and FiTech fuel injection. It makes all of the torque. All of it.

2) The looks. The '77-78 front end is my second favorite after the early second gen nose. And I love the color (Brentwood Brown over Buckskin).

3) The nostalgia. The car was ordered new by my uncle and left to me when he passed. There is a lot of family history and memories wrapped up in it.

Three things I :

1) The transmission. The original four speed BW ST-10 is balky (third gear particularly) and is not happy behind the new motor. Shifts are vague and rubbery (nature of the beast, but still).

2) The suspension setup. It's lowered on Detroit Speed springs with Koni adjustable dampers and huge VSE sway bars. It rides harshly, especially on the Year One Rally II's.

3) The paint/body. 40+ years have taken its toll on the original paint. It shines up reasonably well, but there are dings, small dents, chips, checking and fading that are quite noticeable.

Last edited by Pushrods; 05-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      05-14-2019 10:25 AM #5
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

Loves:
      1. It's paid off
      2. It's economical
      3. It's reliable

Hates:
      1. It's not quick
      2. It's not sporty
      3. It's not worth modifying
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Cars
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      05-14-2019 10:26 AM #6
      '17 Subaru Outback

Three things I :

1) Comfort. Did a 7 hour drive (one way) last week and still felt fresh at the destination.

2) Utility. Rear seat folds almost entirely flat, has a smooth transition from the cargo floor. Integrated roof rack is handy.

3) Cost. Services and parts are inexpensive compared to the (then-recent) VWs I used to own.

Three things I :

1) Upholstery. The inner bolsters are leatherette and it sucks - I had to have the driver's seat bottom cover replaced (warranty) as the leatherette split. Really wish it was leather instead (like on the Crosstrek).

2) Radio. Dust gets in between the LCD and screen face (through the CD slot) and it drives me nuts. Already warrantied once.

3) Features. No tire pressure readout, radio info, clock in the gauge cluster screen. Headlights are only low-beam xenon.

'91 Porsche 911

Three things I :

1) Style. No need to explain on this.

2) Power. It scoots, and even today still holds up for acceleration and braking performance.

3) Driving enjoyment.

Three things I :

1) Age. It's old so it needs more attention, and boy do those costs add up quickly.

2) HVAC. It sucks. Or blows. Well it doesn't, really.

3) Unwanted attention. Seriously, I'm not interested in selling.

'04 Porsche Boxster

Three things I :

1) Fun. Fairly compact (not against a Miata, though), handles well, easy to put the top down and go.

2) Cost. Frankly it's been fairly uneventful in the 8+ years I've owned it (thanks to Obin for advice when I purchased).

3) Utility. For a sportscar it's very capable for trunk space.

Three things I :

1) Engine access. It's a pain leaning over the side and having the roof clamshell in the way.

2) VW/Audi parts. These are the weak points of the car, especially the ignition switch. HVAC control and transmission are from an A4.

3) Plastic crap that breaks. Visor mirror covers, cupholder, door pocket lids...

Cars
      2013 VW RB Golf R
      05-14-2019 10:36 AM #7
      2013 Golf R

Loves:
      1. It's fun to drive.
      2. It's proven extremely practical for my lifestyle.
      3. You don't see a ton of them on the road.

Hates:
      1. The instrument cluster display is always telling me what gear it thinks I should be in.
      2. The too-easy-to-accidently-press voice command button on the steering wheel.
      3. Real world, it's not tons faster than the contemporary GTI.
      Live every week like it's Shark Week.

Cars
      '90 300ZX TT, '02 Jetta TDI, RWD VR6 Golf, '04 MCS
      05-14-2019 10:40 AM #8
      Oldest to newest:

1990 300ZX

Three things I :

1) Power, especially with the E85 conversion. It's like a runaway locomotive above 3k RPM

2) Rarity: Just don't see many of them, I like being unique.

3) TTops: I think I get more enjoyment out of the car in the 30 seconds after sitting in it on a summer day after just removing the TTops than I do when burying the throttle.

Three things I :

1) No AC. But fixable

2) No Cruise. Also fixable.

3) Honestly, it's just those two things.

2002 Jetta TDI

Three things I :

1) 50+ average MPG

2) It's a tank. It needs a bit more than average maintenance, but it's very forgiving if you chose to put it off for a few weeks or months.

3) Winter mode. This is a bit of a stretch; but it does a good job.

Three things I :

1) Styling. Fugly car.

2) Interior. Horrendous.

3) Stereo. Barely adequate for talk radio.

2004 Mini Cooper S

Three things I :

1) It's a go-kart. Almost unlimited driving enjoyment.

2) The powerband. There isn't lots of power, but there is just enough and it comes on nicely.

3) Comfort. My smallest car is easily the most comfortable for my 6'5" build.

Three things I :

1) Rust. All of these rust. Ugh.

2) Rust. Everywhere.

3) I hate rust.

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T

Three things I :

1) The interior. It has aged VERY well for a 14 year old car. It's comfortable and looks great.

2) The powerband. There isn't lots of power, but it feels like there is.

3) Stereo. It's great for a factory option. Very well balanced.

One thing I :

1) MPG. 25 or so average. Could be better.

2010 Versa 1.8 SL

Three things I :

1) Reliability. Hands down the 'best' car I've ever owned. <$200 in repairs in 200k miles.

2) Reliability. Brakes have been done once. All it needs is oil changes. Seriously. I think its got close to 220k of driving on ****ty Cleveland and Milwaukee roads.

3) MPG. It still gets 30+ mpg average

Three things I :

1) It's not super comfortable on long road trips. Not enough legroom for a tall person.

2) I'm easy to please and quite tolerant of going without.

Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Ohio makes me wanna punch babies.

10. Junior Member
      Cars
      Previous: 2008 Jetta 2.0T Current: 2017 GLI
      05-14-2019 10:40 AM #9
      2017 Jetta GLI 6 speed

Things I love:

1) The engine...the EA888 is fun at all speeds. I have a sh1t eating grin every time I drive somewhere

2) The subtle looks...I like that the car blends in but those with a discerning eye know its a neat car

3) The gas mileage...I have gotten 41 MPG on the highway without even trying. Going for a rip on the back roads? 30 MPG all day.

Things I hate

1) The door cards...they really worked all of the bugs out of the MK6 Jetta by 2017 (i.e. suspension, dashboard, aesthetics) but not the damn plastic door cards.

2) The fact that rain water will drip directly onto the window switches from the roof if you don't take time to blow the water off on the road

3) The stock suspension...I feel like VW knew most people will upgrade the suspension. But how can a suspension be so tall...yet be stiff AND have loads of body roll?! H&R coilovers fixed this problem
      but that was a big complaint of mine when I got the car.

Overall it's a solid car and I plan to keep it well into my late 20's and possibly 30's. Or at least until I can justify buying a MK7 GLI

11. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-14-2019 10:44 AM #10
      My GTI is sold and my 718 isn't here yet, so right now I'm DD'ing our '13 Cayenne Diesel. I have the car for weather/soft-roading/towing, but surprisingly I don't hate dailying it as much as I would have thought.

3 Things I Love
      • 700+ miles of range; never have to fuel on a weekday
      • Being able to haul stuff easily without planning ahead
      • Clearance and travel for dirt roads and fields and such

3 Things I hate
      • Weighing 5000 lbs and being high-up isn't fun
      • The slushbox...it's 8 speed but not ZF or PDK. Good for towing, bad for dd'ing.
      • Parking in the tiny spaces at our downtown office; backing it in is easy with the camera/sensors, but maneuvering around other cars can be a pain.

Cars
      2014 VW Tiguan, 2013 VW JSW TDI, 2003 Honda CR-V, 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
      05-14-2019 10:45 AM #11
      2014 VW Tiguan R-line:

3 things I :

1) It's reasonably quick for what it is.
      2) It handles pretty well, with not much body lean for an SUV.
      3) It's been reliable, for the most part (knock on wood).

3 things I :

1) The ride is rough. Like, more punishing than some sports cars i've driven rough.
      2) Fuel economy is a joke. I drive the thing very easy and the most i've gotten from a tank is 21 mpg. For a 4-cyl.
      3) The infotainment is dated, to say the least. My wife's Camry feels like a spaceship in comparison.

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-14-2019 10:46 AM #12
      2018 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400

2. Braking
      3. Comfort

Dislikes:
      1. Evidence of cost cutting that 99% of people probably don't notice
      2. Overly intrusive forward accident control/auto stop/slow down
      3. Infiniti's failure to take full advantage and distinguish what is their most performance oriented model.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Cars
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 2018 Alltrack S, 1982 911SC
      05-14-2019 10:47 AM #13
      2019 Golf Alltrack SEL

Three things I :

1) Manual, wagon, AWD...what more do I need?

2) Super rare and cool color combination (Night Blue exterior, brown interior).

3) All the tech makes me feel super spoiled. My next newest car is a 2004...

Three things I :

1) No seat memory.

2) No "regular" cruise - adaptive only.

3) I'm constantly worried about sunroof leaks.

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Three things I :

1) The Wavetrac out back makes it surprisingly capable in the winter and it's fun as hell to slide around.

2) It looks incredible (Imola Red + lowered on BBS LMs)

3) I have the full stack of records since it was delivered in 2003 (and it has 215k miles so it's a fat stack of records).

Three things I :

1) Rust bubbles.

2) I can't think of anything I'd replace it with other than a lower mileage ZHP or an E36 M3.

3) I am consistently ripping out lower fender liners and ambient temperature sensors in the winter and I refuse to leave it...I keep replacing them.

Cars
      7 Speed RGASM
      05-14-2019 10:51 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      3) The tires don't have any 'lip' on them and the rims scratch so easily with the slightest touch of curb
      Seriously? Easily fixable with different tires, or you know, don't be so careless when parking

2018 Golf R

Three
      1. Performance
      2. Handling
      3. Comfort

Three
      1. Stupid low speed creak I can't find
      2. Some bumps are WTF bad feeling even if they're not huge
      3. Need more $ for mods because there are so many aftermarket goodies.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

16. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      05-14-2019 10:51 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
      2) The fact that rain water will drip directly onto the window switches from the roof if you don't take time to blow the water off on the road
      Lol my Mk5 would do this, and it's comically sinister. "Oh great, the suns out, I can put the windows down!" And then at the first stop sign you get soaked.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      05-14-2019 10:51 AM #16
      B5:

Stick shift is so snicky. The four-link is amazing. It's a turbo wagon!
      Rebuilding the four-link is a PITA. Coolant likes to escape. It's old.

BRZ:

EVERYTHING. Seriously. EVERYTHING.
      Engine tuning potential is not good. Wheel studs. Denso hardware control.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 10:58 AM #17
      325i

1. Steering
      2. Chassis
      3. Simplicity

1. Needs more power (pretty much every E46 besides M3)
      2. Engine makes no noise until 6,000 RPM's
      3. Notchy shifter
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      05-14-2019 11:00 AM #18
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback, 4 months & 3000 miles.

Three things I

1) V6 engine, with all the right sound and power.

2) Cockpit quality and build quality.

3) Not the prettiest, but it has a lot of presence. A beauty overall in this dark grey red interior, IMO.

Three things I

1) Rattles in cold weather, a lot of them.

2) Transmission (when not in dynamic mode) can be reluctant and 2nd speed shifts can be hard at WOT.

3) Would prefer manual.

I could mention abusive costs of options (black optics package @ $900, red calipers @ $500 or carbon inlays @ $900), fuel economy, But I knew those constraints from the start. It was take it or leave it. Glad I took it.

Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      05-14-2019 11:08 AM #19
      2008 Acura TL base, autotragic

1. Everything about the 3.2L V6 engine (J32) - exhaust note, powerband, reliability. The transmission was great, but see below...
      2. The styling.
      3. The seats are probably the best for daily driving I've ever sat in.

1. The infamous Bluetooth module failure causing battery drain (I disconnected mine).
      2. Transmission cooler line rusted and recently burst at 122K miles, requiring replacement of the radiator and other parts ($$$). Thankfully, the transmission itself does not seem to have been damaged.
      3. Trunk torsion bars have broken more than once.

Cars
      06 4runner
      05-14-2019 11:12 AM #20
      2006 4runner
      Thinks I love:
      1. It's paid for
      2. reliable
      3. Perfect size and space

Things I hate:
      1. Stoplight creep (those who own a 4th gen 4runner know what I am talking about)
      2. Brakes
      3. It's really starting to show it's age.

1985 GTI
      Things I love
      1. Has that drive a slow car fast fun factor
      2. Styling has aged well
      3. handles like a go cart

Things I hate:
      1. crappy coilovers (planning on fixing that later this year)
      2. Parts can be a pain to find
      3. CIS fuel system can be a pain

Cars
      '15 WRX
      05-14-2019 11:24 AM #21
      2015 WRX

Things I love:

-Power, the quick turbo spool and ease of gaining significant amount of power with a simple tune (320 WHP with a mild E30 tune) are addicting.
      -Handling, by far the best aspect of this car. Very rewarding car to push for a sedan.
      -Visibility and interior layout. Great visibility and very practical car you can use all year round.

Things I hate:

-Stock tuning with rev hang, really, really bad.
      -Cheap interior and rattles.
      -Vape crowd magnet.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-14-2019 11:56 AM #22
      991.1 GT3

Love -

1. Atmospheric 9K
      2. PDK
      3. It's a 911

Hate -

1. Porsche tax
      2. Centerlock wheels are a useless vanity project pain-in-the-butt
      3. First-gen electric power steering is simply not good enough for a GT3

24. Member
      Cars
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      05-14-2019 12:01 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Seriously? Easily fixable with different tires, or you know, don't be so careless when parking

2018 Golf R

Three
      1. Stupid low speed creak I can't find
      2. Some bumps are WTF bad feeling even if they're not huge
      3. Need more $ for mods because there are so many aftermarket goodies.
      1. Left front lower control arm bushings. Apparently it's totally benign and there is a special "grease this sh**" TSB if you complain about it at the dealer because it happens to every GTI and Golf R
      2. AGREED. "Welp...something had to have broken this time...huh, nothing." Though I think mine has eaten a strut mount.

My three things about my Golf R junior...

Loves
      1. The 2.0T and DSG box are such a good daily driver combo that I do not regret having skipped the manual. I commute 30 miles each way with a daily afternoon traffic jam and I honestly don't get the qualms of people who bitch about DSGs in traffic.
      2. 29.5 lifetime MPG over 28,000 miles thus far, and I do not baby it, because...
      3. That torque that torque that torque.

Dislikes
      1. I am legitimately pretty sure I have gotten mild CTE from the way it likes to crash over expansion joints and buckles in the road.
      2. The machine-turned finish on the wheels isn't repairable and is so easy scuffed.
      3. I don't trust the motor enough to throw a tune on it with how much I drive. Even Stage 1 is 25% more power than stock and, though dead reliable so far, I still don't fully trust this MK7 after the experience I had with my first MK7.
      4. I think my windshield is loose

Basically, I agree with everything Hawc and Dave said.
      THCK

Formerly (allegedly) fbmphil

Cars
      7 Speed RGASM
      05-14-2019 12:05 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      1. Left front lower control arm bushings. Apparently it's totally benign and there is a special "grease this sh**" TSB if you complain about it at the dealer because it happens to every GTI and Golf R
      Yeah, I don't think it's this - sounds like it's coming from inside the car. More like a rattle/creak. And it stops over about 5 mph. I thought it was the door seals, but i lubricated them and it didn't go away. Unless I didn't use enough gummi pfledge.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

26. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      05-14-2019 12:05 PM #25
      2018 VW Golf Alltrack

1) Practicality, it has lots of it
      2) It's wayyyy more fun to drive than a mid sized SUV
      3) 6MT!

1) Pano leaks (since fixed)
      2) could live without the plastic cladding
      3) stock wheel offset is way too inset (debating on spacers)

2012 Porsche Cayman

1) Best styled car of the last 2 decades IMO, simply gorgeous
      2) Handling, yup, amazing so much rotation
      3) Engine, above 4500rpm it absolutely sings

1) annoying to work on, every job takes me 5 times the length that the equivalent job would on my VW's
      2) expecting the shift cables to break and leave me stranded
      3) I love it too much and don't drive it enough.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast