Fourtitude.com - The New "Supra" and What it Means for the Car World.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      05-14-2019 11:07 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by gsauer15 View Post
      ...and cost a mere 8,000 dollars more than it did in 1998.
      Not when you factor in inflation.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-14-2019 11:19 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by gsauer15 View Post
      Not to interrupt but it seems that the conversation is swaying more towards attacking an individual for an opinion on the Supra which isnt very productive. I believe he/she is entitled to say that the new Supra doesn't feel very special and in some ways i agree. I know its a bespoke platform but it is heavily produced BMW, even the door sticker say build by BMW. So its a fair argument to say it isnt as "Toyota Supra" feeling as the previous generation. Also If im not mistaken someone said the "original Supra" but I think they where referring to the previous JZA80 generation from the 90's then the truly original Celica Supra from several generations ago.

But i love seeing all the opinions on this!
      The Supra is NOT built by BMW. It is built by Magna Steyr. Spreading misinfo like this is not productive, either.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-14-2019 11:32 AM #28
      I think there are two potential takes on the "Supra". The first is about the actual car. Does it drive like a sports car should and is it fun to drive> I'm not at all surprised that most people find the car to be decent fun. It's a BMW afterall and when the company tries, they can make some very fun cars. I've enjoyed every Z4 coupe I've ever driven and this should be better. So yeah, not at all a surprise that the Toyota Z4 coupe offers a good driving experience.

The other issue to me is more impactful on whether I would actually buy the car---and frankly, I am a person who could afford a new one of these. IMO, this is where the car fails utterly. I respect the companies that keep their passion projects in house---Nissan and Honda in particular. To me, the sports/performance car represents the passion of the entire company, so it's very telling that the company slapped a "Supra" badge on this vehicle. Why not call it FT-1 like the concept cars?

So at this point in time, if I had to buy an Asian performance car right now that I could afford, my first choice would be a new 370z and my second would be a used GTR. Perhaps, I'd even consider a RC-F as well. I just can't get into the "Supra" despite finding the design attractive and the price inoffensive. If I want to buy a BMW, I'll buy one that has a roundel on the front.

5. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 11:44 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      BMW Supra is a failed attempt from BMW to restore their sporty image.
      wat
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      05-14-2019 11:45 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      wat

This is what happens when you're sick af and slam Monster every morning for breakfast.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-14-2019 11:46 AM #31
      A Toyota "bespoke" Supra would have cost too much and take even longer time to develop, therefore no business case - even if Toyota can afford to lose money on it.

As others have point out, a version of that "Supra" already exist in the portfolio: it's the Lexus LC.

And people speak as if BMW make bad sports cars...

8. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-14-2019 12:26 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      A Toyota "bespoke" Supra would have cost too much and take even longer time to develop, therefore no business case - even if Toyota can afford to lose money on it.

As others have point out, a version of that "Supra" already exist in the portfolio: it's the Lexus LC.

And people speak as if BMW make bad sports cars...
      How much development would a decontented 2 seat RC really need? That's basically what the last 2 Supras were, and is all this thing had to be. It might have been bigger and weighed a little more, but when was the Supra ever some feather weight canyon carver?

The excuses I hear about this sound like they were created by GoT writers. "It HAD to have an inline 6" OK, so put BMW's engine in one of your many RWD platforms. "It would have cost too much to develop" So Toyota learned absolutely nothing from the 86, LFA, LC, IS/GS/RC-F, and the decades of other great RWD Toyotas/Lexuses? It's not like Toyota is Honda who has zero front engine RWD experience or hardware to draw on.

I'm certain the car is objectively great and good value... a ~$50K x40i BMW of any body shape is. But the whole story and rationalization for how it got here is BS. In the context of the Supra's whole story I think that's a legit demerit

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 12:34 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      How much development would a decontented 2 seat RC really need? That's basically what the last 2 Supras were, and is all this thing had to be. It might have been bigger and weighed a little more, but when was the Supra ever some feather weight canyon carver?

The excuses I hear about this sound like they were created by GoT writers. "It HAD to have an inline 6" OK, so put BMW's engine in one of your many RWD platforms. "It would have cost too much to develop" So Toyota learned absolutely nothing from the 86, LFA, LC, IS/GS/RC-F, and the decades of other great RWD Toyotas/Lexuses? It's not like Toyota is Honda who has zero front engine RWD experience or hardware to draw on.

I'm certain the car is objectively great and good value... a ~$50K x40i BMW of any body shape is. But the whole story and rationalization for how it got here is BS. In the context of the Supra's whole story I think that's a legit demerit
      So you're not going to buy one?
      Instagram - efrie004

10. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-14-2019 12:34 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      So you're not going to buy one?
      Nope, elbows too pointy

11. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-14-2019 12:50 PM #35
      Let me get this straight?

Toyota releases a new RWD, I6 turbo, 335hp, sports coupe, with rave reviews so far.

And there are people complaining?

My favorite comment is that it's not expensive enough.

What in the actual f***

12. 05-14-2019 12:51 PM #36
      In a world of fewer and fewer enthusiast car choices, I could care less whether the new Supra is built by Steyr, BMW or Toyota. All three get a solid thumbs up. I just hope it and the 86 successor resonate with the market so that the niche entry/mid level sport car market survives. My only complaint is that its not available with a manual transmission

Oh and that it doesnt have a huge wing

13. 05-14-2019 12:52 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post

Toyota releases a new RWD, I6 turbo, 335hp, sports coupe, with rave reviews so far.

What in the actual f***

Mods: Can this be pinned to the top of the thread...

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      05-14-2019 12:54 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      Mods: Can this be pinned to the top of the internet...
      Slightly more accurate.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-14-2019 12:55 PM #39

Well most auto-manufacturers know that pouring tons of money and resources into pleasing a small amount of sales for enthusiasts on a low volume sports car that isn't pushing the boundaries of the future, isn't the smartest move. If they make another supra at all after this one will be interesting to see.

People should be happy Toyota has even gone this far... Toyota has to be more worried about how successful they'll be mass producing electric cars that they can sell to the masses and be prepared for the new type of customer that mostly aren't interested in 2-seater sports cars.

What in the actual f***
      They should make half as many as they plan to make, charged double, and put more Toyota badges on the coolant hose stickers. Then it'd be more special.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      '15 WRX
      05-14-2019 12:55 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      This is what happens when you're sick af and slam Monster every morning for breakfast.
      Triggered.

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      05-14-2019 12:57 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Triggered.
      Papa Roach

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 01:10 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Papa Roach
      You're hogging the Bizkit.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2010 CTS-V Sedan, 2005 Carrera S, 2018 Durango SRT
      05-14-2019 01:16 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      WTF are you talking about, the "original Supra wasn't accessible"? The original Supra was basically a sporty trim level Celica, hence it being the Celica Supra for 8 years.
      This. The Supra was always accessible, even after they ditched the Celica name. There’s a lot of revisionist history tied to the last Supra.
      I’m warming up to the new one, especially after watching the reviews. Seems like decent value and you get all the nice BMW interior bits. I’m sure they’ll have some hopped up versions down the line too.

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-14-2019 01:17 PM #44

The S2000 would like to have a word with you.

21. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-14-2019 01:21 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      . I respect the companies that keep their passion projects in house
      I have my doubts on your convictions. Sure Nissan designs in-house, but the 370Z is almost two decades old now.

I don't believe for ONE second that if you test drive a new Supra, and you genuinely like it, that you'd walk right out of a Toyota dealer, and into a Nissan dealer to buy a new 370Z based on the fact that the 370Z is an in-house design, and the Supra is not.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-14-2019 01:24 PM #46

What in the actual f***
      If you look at who is saying what and not just what's being said, the ridiculousness is coming from a handful of trolls and usual suspects. I think most people here can recognize it as a good thing even if it's not our preference in the class.

Cars
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4
      05-14-2019 01:36 PM #47
      What did the Supra ever mean to the car world? It was a up-jumped sporty 2+2 with a 6 cylinder. The second gen ones look awesome - I'd own one with lottery-winning money.

24. Member
      Cars
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      05-14-2019 01:43 PM #48
      Purity politics y'all

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-14-2019 01:57 PM #49
      I have my doubts on your convictions. Sure Nissan designs in-house, but the 370Z is almost two decades old now.

I don't believe for ONE second that if you test drive a new Supra, and you genuinely like it, that you'd walk right out of a Toyota dealer, and into a Nissan dealer to buy a new 370Z based on the fact that the 370Z is an in-house design, and the Supra is not.
      You definitely don't know me. Where you have me confused in particular is that I'd never go to a toyota dealer to drive one as part of a group of cars I'd consider for purchase. I absolutely would never consider the current gen Supra. For my money, I'd rather have a corvette or Boxster 10 times out of 10. But if I had to go Asian, I'd just buy a Z. Yeah, it's practically ancient, which infuriates me. But not enough for me not to buy one if I was in a situation where I had to. It's simply more appealing to me than the supra. Both are 2-seaters. The Z has a decent NA V6 and is available manual. The Supra, well, is German. Not only is it not Asian, but it's German! From a reliability perspective why would I want that? Part of the reason I would go with an Asian vehicle---any Asian vehicle---over a domestic or Euro brand is reliability.

You can argue with me all day long about the logical reasons for why toyota didn't build something in-house: costs, revenue, not having a platform, not having an I6. You know what? That's toyota's problem, not mine. That brand continues to make cars with very little appeal to me. The only one losing out there is toyota. I'll happily spend my money elsewhere.

If I had to buy a Toyota tomorrow, it would be a 4Runner or Land Cruiser (assuming I had the money for such a spendy purchase).

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-14-2019 02:00 PM #50

What in the actual f***
      Seriously...
      iain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast