Fourtitude.com - 2 week garage build
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 37
    1. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-13-2019 12:57 PM #1
      I found myself in a position where I had about 2 weeks till I started a new job, in January, and thought it would be a good time to throw up some insulation and drywall in the garage. Then I realized I needed to sort out the electric, oh and where the cabinets would go too.

      So I am still working on it......


      Here is how it looked on day one: The cabinets were a Craigslist score from a few years back, not mounted.


      First I moved some stuff around:


      Removed and added some wires:


      Added some insulation:





      At this point my two weeks are up and I am back to work......
      Last edited by checkoutmyjunk; 05-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-13-2019 01:38 PM #2
      I am doing this all alone, at night, after work, while the kids and wife sleeps. The ceiling is 24" centers, no choices here, have to used 5/8" and it's flipping heavy. I look into renting a drywall lift, 60ish a week, hmmmm never gonna hang 24 sheets in a week. Look at new lifts on eBay, 130 shipped to my house, yeah totally worth it, took an easy month to hang ceiling and another few weeks to get the walls up.






      Finally got the ceiling done:



      Being on my own I only got a 8-10 sheets at a time, cause well it's heavy and I can only get 2-3 up in a night anyway. Hindsight says get the entire job delivered, but oh well, lots of things changed along this "two week" project

      Now the walls:



      First wall went quick:





      Here is where I was at about 4 weeks ago, I decided that I would pay to have the finish work done, funny how your priorities change when you're back to work and getting steady paychecks again:



      Contractor said hang the last few sheets and empty the garage then he would get started, this was on a Thursday evening. I assured him it would be ready Monday morning, he confirmed next week was good.


      At his suggestion I closed in above the doors:




      Monday came and I was ready:


      My contractor was not..... 3 weeks later the work started. I convinced him to include the painting in my quote being back to work and all.... Turns out he was a hell of nice guy that was just hitting a string of bad luck, needed a car, a drywall lift and a pistol for personal protection. Also turns out I had a lift I bought with the intentions of selling a s10 I bought to save on gas while I was unemployed that I didn't want and a extra sidearm that was perfect for his needs. This was a cashless transaction!


      Mud and tape:

      Paint:





      Now its real time, I just took this last night.

      Power washing the floor:


      Next is degrease the floor, then etch then epoxy it. After that trim the windows, doors and where the wall meets the concrete blocks. After that hang the cabinets. after that...........lighting
      Last edited by checkoutmyjunk; 05-23-2019 at 04:50 PM.

    4. Member craigalangibson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2003
      Location
      Charleston, SC
      Posts
      5,185
      Cars
      2013 Golf R, 2004 Jetta GLI
      05-14-2019 12:05 AM #3
      Nice work!

      I wired my garage and created an attic above it last year. I need to insulate it and drywall it this year. I was wondering if you could just hire someone to tape, mud and sand. That’s my least favorite thing to do.
      Volkswagen Owner

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Moderator 03_uni-B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 6th, 2005
      Location
      WV & KY
      Posts
      12,706
      Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      05-14-2019 11:30 AM #4
      Nicely done, I dread drywall. I actually hung plywood in my garage and painted it white. Works out pretty well to be able to mount things anywhere I want.

      What product did you decide to go with for the floor coating?

    7. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-14-2019 05:32 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by craigalangibson View Post
      Nice work!

      I wired my garage and created an attic above it last year. I need to insulate it and drywall it this year. I was wondering if you could just hire someone to tape, mud and sand. That’s my least favorite thing to do.
      Do it, my garage cost me about 700 mud, tape and finish. Id suggest you talk to a pro before you hang, they do not charge much more to hang and you save on the finishing as a pro will make the seams tighter, use 12' sheets for less seams and all manner of things a novice would not consider.

      Quote Originally Posted by 03_uni-B View Post
      Nicely done, I dread drywall. I actually hung plywood in my garage and painted it white. Works out pretty well to be able to mount things anywhere I want.

      What product did you decide to go with for the floor coating?


      I considered plywood for the walls but it boiled down to cost, I was unemployed at the time. There were several things I would have done differently had I been working at the time. For instance, I would have paid to have the drywall hung, any savings I reaped hanging it myself was over shadowed by the cost of having a pro mud and tape my not so tight butt joints.

      The Floors are another area I would do differently, about 4 years ago I bought a Rusteolum garage floor kit that they since removed from the market. While I know it's decent stuff as my cousin has it in a commercial shop and it's help up pretty well, I'd still rather get a professional grade epoxy over this water based kit from Lowes.

    8. Member nicholam77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2013
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      745
      Cars
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      05-14-2019 10:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      I am doing this all alone, at night, after work, while the kids and wife sleeps.
      With a 7 month old at home, I fully understand this

      Great work. Looks like you have a big space and it's going to be kick ass with the insulation and drywall finishing. Funny how a 2 week project can quickly turn into a several month project.
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

    9. Senior Member Jettavr666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2000
      Posts
      23,089
      Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-15-2019 02:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Do it, my garage cost me about 700 mud, tape and finish. Id suggest you talk to a pro before you hang, they do not charge much more to hang and you save on the finishing as a pro will make the seams tighter, use 12' sheets for less seams and all manner of things a novice would not consider.





      I considered plywood for the walls but it boiled down to cost, I was unemployed at the time. There were several things I would have done differently had I been working at the time. For instance, I would have paid to have the drywall hung, any savings I reaped hanging it myself was over shadowed by the cost of having a pro mud and tape my not so tight butt joints.
      Yeah professional drywall guys could probably get that done in a day. I do almost all my own work, but drywall is one of those things in the future I will hire out for. Its just too time consuming, and frustrating to try and do yourself. With that said I completely understand not wanting to pay to get it done while unemployed.

    10. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-17-2019 09:44 AM #8
      Funny side story. I was giving my wife an update on the progress as one of the bays is her's. She asked what color the paint will be, I said I dunno, I told him gray. The terror in her eyes was real, she was imagining every possible shade of gray and just how wrong it was going to look. After some intense questioning and a few "what ifs" she gave up. Both of us saw the color on the same day, while standing there I just said "see how easy it is when two men pick paint color"


    11. Moderator 03_uni-B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 6th, 2005
      Location
      WV & KY
      Posts
      12,706
      Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      05-17-2019 11:11 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      "see how easy it is when two men pick paint color"


    12. Senior Member Jettavr666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2000
      Posts
      23,089
      Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-17-2019 07:26 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Funny side story. I was giving my wife an update on the progress as one of the bays is her's. She asked what color the paint will be, I said I dunno, I told him gray. The terror in her eyes was real, she was imagining every possible shade of gray and just how wrong it was going to look. After some intense questioning and a few "what ifs" she gave up. Both of us saw the color on the same day, while standing there I just said "see how easy it is when two men pick paint color"


      I always pick colors for paint within one trip and 5 mins or less, yet so many of my clients in the past will agonize for days. (many single woman, I do construction project management) Yet, they almost ALWAYS come back to the color I prepicked

    13. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      23,207
      05-20-2019 05:20 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post


      I considered plywood for the walls but it boiled down to cost,.
      Garage is coming out fantastic!


      Since this appears to be an attached garage? you went the right way due to the fire rating of sheetrock vs plywood.

    14. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-21-2019 05:27 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Garage is coming out fantastic!


      Since this appears to be an attached garage? you went the right way due to the fire rating of sheetrock vs plywood.
      Good point, never thought of that!

      The triple pane window/door was the original garage that sat under the bedrooms of the house. The PO of the house collected small cars like Triumphs, MGs even had a 115 mile solstice in there, in the old garage he had a hot tub installed and would sit in it and gaze out at his cars. Kinda creepy and strange.

    15. Senior Member Jettavr666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2000
      Posts
      23,089
      Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-21-2019 05:39 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Good point, never thought of that!

      The triple pane window/door was the original garage that sat under the bedrooms of the house. The PO of the house collected small cars like Triumphs, MGs even had a 115 mile solstice in there, in the old garage he had a hot tub installed and would sit in it and gaze out at his cars. Kinda creepy and strange.
      that is definitely strange, but to each there own.

    16. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-22-2019 10:43 AM #14
      Put the garage door openers back up and installed all the switch plates, it's the little stuff that takes hours!


    17. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,278
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      05-22-2019 07:58 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Put the garage door openers back up and installed all the switch plates, it's the little stuff that takes hours!

      Envious.

      Not a paid spokesperson- I bought those 4' LED "tube" lights off Amazon for less than $50 for 6 lights. Really bright. For $100 ($200 max), you can light your garage really bright and save on electricity. I have two up in mine and it lights almost the entire side of the garage.

      If you don't have a solution already.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    18. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-23-2019 04:38 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Envious.

      Not a paid spokesperson- I bought those 4' LED "tube" lights off Amazon for less than $50 for 6 lights. Really bright. For $100 ($200 max), you can light your garage really bright and save on electricity. I have two up in mine and it lights almost the entire side of the garage.

      If you don't have a solution already.
      Yes, never used these but that is my plan. I added 6 switched outlets for lights. There were 3 on the ceiling, I added 4 more for between the doors. I also added two for under cabinet lights when they are finally installed


      Here is a link to the ones I got, I opted to get ones that do not need a ballast. The down side is you typically need to change out the tombstones to isolated ones, I lucked out and the ancient fixtures I have are isolated.
      Sunco Lighting 10 Pack 4FT T8 LED Tube, 18W=40W Fluorescent, Clear Cover, 6000K Daylight Deluxe, Single Ended Power (SEP), Ballast Bypass, Commercial Grade - UL & DLC Listed
      by Sunco Lighting
      Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071918P5H..._hwV5CbKGWD0DJ

    19. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-23-2019 04:39 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Yes, never used these but that is my plan. I added 6 switched outlets for lights. There were 3 on the ceiling, I added 4 more for between the doors. I also added two for under cabinet lights when they are finally installed


      Here is a link to the ones I got, I opted to get ones that do not need a ballast. The down side is you typically need to change out the tombstones to isolated ones, I lucked out and the ancient fixtures I have are isolated.
      Sunco Lighting 10 Pack 4FT T8 LED Tube, 18W=40W Fluorescent, Clear Cover, 6000K Daylight Deluxe, Single Ended Power (SEP), Ballast Bypass, Commercial Grade - UL & DLC Listed
      by Sunco Lighting
      Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071918P5H..._hwV5CbKGWD0DJ
      So in total I will have 14 4 foot LED tubes shining down, hoping for indoor garden levels of light.

    20. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,278
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      05-23-2019 04:57 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Yes, never used these but that is my plan. I added 6 switched outlets for lights. There were 3 on the ceiling, I added 4 more for between the doors. I also added two for under cabinet lights when they are finally installed


      Here is a link to the ones I got, I opted to get ones that do not need a ballast. The down side is you typically need to change out the tombstones to isolated ones, I lucked out and the ancient fixtures I have are isolated.
      Sunco Lighting 10 Pack 4FT T8 LED Tube, 18W=40W Fluorescent, Clear Cover, 6000K Daylight Deluxe, Single Ended Power (SEP), Ballast Bypass, Commercial Grade - UL & DLC Listed
      by Sunco Lighting
      Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071918P5H..._hwV5CbKGWD0DJ


      these are what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      I also only have a 19x20 space to light.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    21. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-23-2019 05:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post


      these are what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      I also only have a 19x20 space to light.
      Similar specs, I guess we'll see once I get everything mounted.

    22. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,278
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      05-23-2019 05:59 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Similar specs, I guess we'll see once I get everything mounted.
      I do know that my lights aren't suitable for under-car lighting. I might have stepped on one and bent the mounting rail.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    23. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      05-31-2019 10:20 AM #21
      Micro update.

      Threw some paint on the blocks



    24. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      06-07-2019 09:07 AM #22
      Its something, not much but one door has one coat of primer on it.


    25. Member nicholam77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2013
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      745
      Cars
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      06-09-2019 11:31 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk View Post
      Its something, not much but one door has one coat of primer on it.

      It's still progress!

      You've gotten a whole lot accomplished since the beginning.

      Plus now we can see the compariosn to the other door. Already looks a lot cleaner and brighter with just the primer.
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

    26. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,677
      Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      06-10-2019 02:37 AM #24
      Great work!

      What are your plans for the gap between the blocks and the wall?

      Fortunately my garage already has drywall but I have a similar gap that I wanna close up and make it as seamless as possible. Need to remove the metal bands too.


    27. Member checkoutmyjunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2001
      Location
      Central, PA
      Posts
      2,603
      Cars
      C5 Z06
      06-11-2019 11:11 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post
      It's still progress!

      You've gotten a whole lot accomplished since the beginning.

      Plus now we can see the compariosn to the other door. Already looks a lot cleaner and brighter with just the primer.
      That's what I keep telling myself, I have a 120 year old cabin on an island that I remolding ATM too

      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Great work!

      What are your plans for the gap between the blocks and the wall?

      Fortunately my garage already has drywall but I have a similar gap that I wanna close up and make it as seamless as possible. Need to remove the metal bands too.

      I'm planning on installing cabinets on that back wall in front of the two outer bays and leaving the center bay open for more room. I will just butt the base cabinets up to the block and extend my "counter top" to the drywall behind, likely adding a 2x4 nailer for the same strength. If the gap between the cabinets and walls looks ugly i'll just put a piece of wood in as a filler. For the areas where there are no cabinets to hide the exposed concrete block I plan to leave them exposed and just add a piece of trim where the drywall meets the blocks. I painted the block for just that reason, just looks cleaner with some paint on there.

      Those metal tabs are for adding a masonry fascia like brick or stone, ever consider something like that since you already have the anchors?


      Here is a question for anyone who is following along. Should I paint the doors gray to match the walls or should I leave them white? I plan to use the center door as a projector screen, so I will likely spray the hinges white on that door too.

      Update
      Put a second coat up on the fist door and one coat on the middle door



      Looks like the water stains are bleeding through two coats of killz WTH!


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. ??? The Ultimate Garage - Build Thread ???
      By MEISTER in forum Home Improvement
      Replies: 134
      Last Post: 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
    2. J's Garage Building Experience
      By Northren vr6 in forum Home Improvement
      Replies: 55
      Last Post: 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
    3. The garage build is done!
      By UKGTI in forum Home Improvement
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 01-20-2007, 02:14 PM
    4. garage build cost expectations?
      By Seitan in forum Home Improvement
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 06-11-2006, 01:41 PM
    5. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:21 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •