Fourtitude.com - Have you driven a FULL ELECTRIC car?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Have you driven full electric car?

Voters
    151. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

102 67.55%
    • No

49 32.45%
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-13-2019 10:15 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Oh man. Hawk is gonna end up with a Model 3 if he drives one. Mark my words! I look forward to his threads about it
      Mmmaybe, but the build quality might keep him away.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-13-2019 10:34 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Mmmaybe, but the build quality might keep him away.
      Not German enough for him.

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      05-13-2019 10:45 AM #53
      I've driven the Model S P85 and E-Golf, and ridden in my neighbor's Model 3. The instant torque is fun, but otherwise I was mostly underwhelmed. I think my expectations were too high.

They are definitely quieter than ICE cars (obviously), but I wouldn't really say that they are more relaxing in day to day traffic. Most of the jarring noise in traffic are other cars and wind noise. It's similar to an ICE car with a start-stop ignition system. Car is eerily quiet, but everything else is magnified.

Cars
      torque and no torque
      05-13-2019 10:55 AM #54
      Yes but it was a Leopard complete with a 5-spd manual and clutch. Super fun. You can start in 1-3 and realistically leave it in 3rd for all city driving. No need to engage the clutch to stop.

6. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-13-2019 11:03 AM #55
      Drove a Leaf when it first came out in 2011, and left whelmed; that car does the EV movement no favors with its dynamics, but it's a fine car if you're looking for a Camry type experience.

Obviously I drive an EV every day now, so I have some pretty good comparisons to...

Chevrolet Bolt: Other than the letdown of a cheap interior and tiny cargo space, this is a very nice effort. Feels pretty quick, but I didn't get a chance to floor it 0-60.

Tesla Model S 90D: I'm going to annoy Tesla faithful here, but the driving experience in *regular day to day traffic* is extremely similar to my Focus. In fact, the S has a bit more noise from the motors at low speeds, which to me sounds cool but I wasn't expecting it. Now it is fair to point out that the S is waaaaayyyy faster than my Focus, and is a giggle machine when it comes to onramps. But the takeaway point here is that there just isn't a huge differentiation in the powertrain from EV to EV like there is with fossil cars. The delivery and sound difference between, say, my old 5-cylinder Jetta and a Nissan with a V6 & CVT is very dramatic by comparison.

7. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-13-2019 11:07 AM #56
      I have not. You don't see many of them in the rural south.

I'd like to though.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

05-13-2019 11:12 AM #57
      No, not nearly enough range from any of them to be useful to me.
      The Original Burble Cruiser

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-13-2019 11:18 AM #58
      Reading Automobile's drive of the Taycan and seeing pictures of a human next to it, unless that guy's Andre the Giant this thing is a lot lower and sportier than I originally thought.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...sche-taycan-06

Original Tesla Roadster aside, this may end up being the most hardcore EV made to date.

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU
      05-13-2019 11:23 AM #59
      I leased a 500e for three years and loved it. I will say that if you scoff at the HP numbers on paper drive it first. The instant power makes even the small EVs seem much more powerful than they really are. The Fiat has just over 100hp but it feels like much more until you get up to highway speeds. That instant power makes commute driving a breeze and zipping around town is much more enjoyable.

I believe that my next new car will be a BEV. They make gas cars seem so out of date. Not just the tech (the 500e has almost zero new tech compared to the regular 500) but the overall vehicle care is so much easier. All I bought for the Fiat was a set of tires over the time I had it making it the most reliable Fiat probable ever.

Also, the last thing that I found so nice was having a full "tank" every morning. This part was probably the nicest convenience of owning an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by quaudi View Post
      No, not nearly enough range from any of them to be useful to me.
      I'm also curious why this still pops up. With several lower cost EVs over 200 miles that's a lot of range in one shot. I suppose there are some people that regularly go further than that in a day but damn that's a lot of driving.
      Last edited by G0to60; 05-13-2019 at 11:27 AM.

11. 05-13-2019 12:17 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Regenerative braking feels a little weird, but you'll get used to it eventually.
      That was the first thing I thought when I drove an i3. I've ridden in a Tesla Model 3, but didn't drive it.

12. 05-13-2019 12:49 PM #61
      Chevrolet Bolt. Plenty quick, handles pretty well. I'm pleased that it doesn't fall into the "saving the planet takes all the fun out of driving" category. Given my disappointments with my 2017 Golf and it's rather poor throttle response and crappy clutch feel, I actually appreciate the linearity and total smoothness of the 1-speed trans and the electric motor. The reason it's more fun is not only the torque, but also in lieu of an ICE and manual trans, the one-pedal driving actually is fun enough to be a new game to play with your brain, meaning see how you can drive it without touching the brakes. For something that I never thought could be engaging, it is VERY engaging that way.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      05-13-2019 01:42 PM #62
      I've had about 10min seat time in both an i3 and Model 3. As long as I have a manual transmission in my weekend/fun car, then I'd be OK with an electric as a daily. Depending on how the electric offerings progress in the next few years, I would definitely consider one as my next DD.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      05-13-2019 03:07 PM #63
      I've driven a few. At some point in my life, I'll buy one. Until then, the next car might be the biggest engine that I can find/bare to pay for gas just to have one last dinosaur.

Cars
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2016 e-Golf
      05-13-2019 04:15 PM #64
      Leased a '14 Spark EV for 3 years and currently have a '16 e-Golf with about 6 months left on the lease.

Before we got the spark I drove every locally available EV on the market at the time - Leaf, Fiat 500E, Focus EV and BMW i3.

Spark was a hoot to drive. Had way too much torque for the stock LRR tires. e-Golf is an appliance. Plug it in and drive wherever you need within range. Next EV will either be a Kona EV or another e-Golf
      You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Cars
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-13-2019 04:19 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      Next EV will either be a Kona EV or another e-Golf
      This is a common thread. Once you go EV, you wont go back.
      Slow Car Fast

17. 05-13-2019 05:31 PM #66
      First gen Leaf, both gen Volts, i3, eGolf, pretty much every version of Model S and X, and the eTron.

My take away is they are quite enjoyable in a daily driven application. The smooth and instantaneous power delivery, quiet operation, and heavy regen (negates braking as much) all conspire to make for a rather relaxing, yet pleasing and competent experience. If I had a 911 or something for petro fun and rawnesswhen I wanted, I'm pretty confident i could easily drive one everyday.

But for one car to do it all- be day-to-day transport but also serve as a fun driver, they just lose too much involvement, character, drama, and excitement for me.

Just my .02

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      05-13-2019 05:33 PM #67
      Yes and it was FULL(y) boring.

Sorry but I need *the [ICE] sound*.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      05-13-2019 06:03 PM #68
      Golf cart.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

20. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-13-2019 07:12 PM #69
      Leased a LEAF for three years. Loved it. Great commuter car.

I've driven:

Gen 1 & 2 LEAF
      eGolf
      500e
      Model S
      i3
      Spark EV
      Bolt
      Coda

I don't currently commute during peak rush hour anymore. When I did an EV was unbeatable. I hated grinding in traffic in my E39, and my LEAF made it super easy. I'll have another EV at some point, but I should probably just switch back to riding my bike to work and save the SS for the weekends. It's not my favorite thing to commute in either.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

21. 05-15-2019 09:13 PM #70
      So I finally did it! I drove a Tesla (Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive.)

Holy crap was it fun. Totally not what I expected. Not boring at all.

Definitely do not miss the sound or vibration of an internal combustion engine.

Absolutely love the smooth linear power and pull of the electric motor. I was in the top end Model 3 0-60 in 3.5 sec. Did one hard launch. Never felt anything like that before. Reminded me of motorcycle acceleration.

The thing that let it all down was the interior build quality. I kinda naively said to the sales associate (they call them co-pilots) so what is that about $50K? And she said "Oh no, this one is about $85K" What?!? The interior felt on par with a Honda civic. Really crappy squishy unsupportive seats. Super boring dashboard. The ride felt expensive, but the interior and exterior felt like cheaper than a Golf. No could do.

My next car will be full electric though. For sure. It is totally the future. It's gonna be great.

22. 05-15-2019 10:36 PM #71
      I am on my 5th day of EV ownership with my 500e, and I enjoy it more each day. One of my favorite parts of owning the car is letting other people try it out. It's so much fun seeing the look on their face when they step on it for the first time! The car delivers surprising response and performance, all while being extremely quiet, and ridiculously efficient. This morning, I reset the trip odometer before I left for work, and arrived after my 14 mile commute with an average trip mileage of 198.5 mpge, or 5.89 miles per kWhr! Thus, I used only 2.38 kWhr @ $0.09 per kWhr, costing me only $0.21 for my 14 mile commute, instead of $1.68 for the same trip in my Focus! In fact, everyday that passes makes me wonder home much longer I will keep the Focus.

I drank the Kool Aid, and I am really enjoying it!
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

Cars
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      05-15-2019 11:23 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      The thing that let it all down was the interior build quality. I kinda naively said to the sales associate (they call them co-pilots) so what is that about $50K? And she said "Oh no, this one is about $85K" What?!? The interior felt on par with a Honda civic. Really crappy squishy unsupportive seats. Super boring dashboard. The ride felt expensive, but the interior and exterior felt like cheaper than a Golf. No could do.

My next car will be full electric though. For sure. It is totally the future. It's gonna be great.

The interior is def not $85K or even $50k but the magic is all in the drivetrain and tech. What's interesting is that you get the same interior when spending $35k, $50k, or $85k. So in my eyes, the interior is only worth $35k.

Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      Thus, I used only 2.38 kWhr @ $0.09 per kWhr, costing me only $0.21 for my 14 mile commute, instead of $1.68 for the same trip in my Focus! In fact, everyday that passes makes me wonder home much longer I will keep the Focus.

This is what happened with my first i3. I dumped my Acura RL shortly after. The premium just didnt make sense.
      Slow Car Fast

05-15-2019 11:50 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      I am on my 5th day of EV ownership with my 500e, and I enjoy it more each day. One of my favorite parts of owning the car is letting other people try it out. It's so much fun seeing the look on their face when they step on it for the first time! The car delivers surprising response and performance, all while being extremely quiet, and ridiculously efficient. This morning, I reset the trip odometer before I left for work, and arrived after my 14 mile commute with an average trip mileage of 198.5 mpge, or 5.89 miles per kWhr! Thus, I used only 2.38 kWhr @ $0.09 per kWhr, costing me only $0.21 for my 14 mile commute, instead of $1.68 for the same trip in my Focus! In fact, everyday that passes makes me wonder home much longer I will keep the Focus.

I'm still exuberant about my 500e, and I've had mine almost a year. More people need to try one. It does not have the 0-60 time of a Model 3 Performance, but for a lot of people, it's still an incredible car. You can imagine how perfect it is for the SF Bay Area.

For anyone who has not driven an electric car, Winding Road published a POV video of a 500e that may be of interest, although you really need to drive one to feel the instant torque and responsive acceleration under 40 mph.

Last edited by Wimbledon; 05-16-2019 at 12:05 AM.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

25. 05-16-2019 12:51 AM #74
      To date, I have only driven two: a very early (2011?) Nissan Leaf, and a 2015 Chevy Spark.

Hearing so many of you gush about the 500e, I'm afraid to drive one--I might decide to get one of those rather than a Leaf like I've been planning.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      05-16-2019 05:02 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      Leased a '14 Spark EV for 3 years and currently have a '16 e-Golf with about 6 months left on the lease.

Before we got the spark I drove every locally available EV on the market at the time - Leaf, Fiat 500E, Focus EV and BMW i3.

Spark was a hoot to drive. Had way too much torque for the stock LRR tires. e-Golf is an appliance. Plug it in and drive wherever you need within range. Next EV will either be a Kona EV or another e-Golf
      when you say the eGolf is an appliance, you mean that in a good way orna bad way? I'm looking into an EV for my next...but it's gotta be fun to drive. Basic minimum requirement for me. Would you consider the eGolf more fun to drive than its competitors?
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast