Fourtitude.com - Illinois is giving you less reason to buy electric cars.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      05-13-2019 05:28 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.
      Income taxes, both federal and state, are progressive partly because most other taxes like sales and gas tax are regressive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-13-2019 05:42 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post
      Madigan is the only name you need to know.
      He runs the state.

Basically crippled Rauner for 4 years and now has his new pawn in playing Gov. Only way out of this is to vote Republican each and every time you go to the ballot box. But this state won't do it.
      For as awful as Pat Quinn was, he still was almost reelected
      There is no "safe" party harbor in NC, the elephant sits on you and takes your money and the donkey kicks you and takes your money

The only bipartisan thing they do is agree to fee us more.

But after reading this thread I give my sympathies to my Illinois forumites. Holy fek, they really are going after you folks.

4. 05-13-2019 05:47 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      My property tax payment is just about ready to intersect my mortgage payment. New license plate idea: "Illinois is for masochistic lovers."
      In bold, wow, that's crazy. And the plate idea is awesome

5. 05-13-2019 06:04 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      In bold, wow, that's crazy. And the plate idea is awesome
      Wife is finishing up her masters.
      Once completed she will be looking at a 20-30k raise.

We have started looking at larger houses for our family of 5 (4 bed room/3 bath types). We found one just under 3k SF, 3 car garage, nice plot of land etc. 300k give or take. Yearly taxes are $12,000/year!!

We looked at buying a house on the river that closer to our current house but taxes on that were 15k/yr!!!

I'm not doing it.

A buddy of mine lives in Indiana and has a 4bd/4ba 3200 sf house and I don't think he even pays $1k in taxes a year.

The wife and I have had some serious talks of moving out of this state. Every where you turn its something else needing money and not much of it is to benefit us.
      Boiler Up!

6. 05-13-2019 06:26 PM #55

We have started looking at larger houses for our family of 5 (4 bed room/3 bath types). We found one just under 3k SF, 3 car garage, nice plot of land etc. 300k give or take. Yearly taxes are $12,000/year!!

We looked at buying a house on the river that closer to our current house but taxes on that were 15k/yr!!!

I'm not doing it.

A buddy of mine lives in Indiana and has a 4bd/4ba 3200 sf house and I don't think he even pays $1k in taxes a year.

The wife and I have had some serious talks of moving out of this state. Every where you turn its something else needing money and not much of it is to benefit us.
      Congrats to your wife on her education and to you both holding it down together up there with the kids. I know it's not easy, it takes mi at and time and both get stretched.

Your quote, "I'm not doing it " sounded like me! But my tax beef pales in comparison, it's not that bad in NC.

There's something to be said about the weather here and cost if living. Not to mention some good country roads to drive on.

I know it's not easy to uproot the family and move but there's something to be said about quality of life.

Wishing the best to you and fam.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-13-2019 06:34 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm an Illinoisan and a progressive. However, I don't like how hard this proposed tax will hit the working class. Because real estate is expensive, and the metropolitan area is quite large, many in the Chicago area commute long distances (often in stop and go traffic) to get from where they live to where they work. So fuel can be a sizeable cost and we already pay usage fees for the expressways in terms of tolls. Because of real estate prices, moving closer to work isn't an option for everyone.

The registration fees for electric cars is most disappointing... that's really going to slow down adoption of EVs by the middle class. A Camry SE Hybrid is looking more and more enticing for my next car...
      I agree that regressive taxes are a bad thing, but the Chicago metro area already has some silly rules like that the chicago metro area requires its own summer gas formulation that isnt used anywhere else in the country.

The problem in Illinois is that the political gridlock is legendary, and they ALWAYS want new sources of revenue because the patronage system is so ingrained that they are always running out of money. An EV tax is just another example of that. A couple years ago we had a soda tax, which was billed as a "public health measure" but also included diet and no calorie sodas in their tax because they wanted the extra revenue. I dont even drink much soda but I was glad that was eventually struck down.

I love Chicago, but frankly its a mess. Just another example that is pretty well know. In 2010 Mayor Daley sold the city parking rights to LAZ parking for 1.15b on a 99 year lease. However, after just 8 years, LAZ made 850 million, and are expected to breakeven by 2020, yet they have 90 YEARS of profit to go!?!?!

Cars
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      05-13-2019 06:42 PM #57
      You guys are complaining about a $1k hit for registering EVs. Move to a state that requires you to pay ownership tax at reg time. Bitch at me when you get a $2k reg bill up front on an ICE car.. after you already paid sales tax, and pay a monthly escrow lease tax. Where else but glorious Denver.

Cars
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      05-13-2019 06:44 PM #58

I'm not doing it.

We have cheap prop taxes in DEN- around $1,200 a year. However, my 796 sq ft house is $365,000. So it all balances out one way or another in us getting f'd.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-13-2019 06:46 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      You guys are complaining about a $1k hit for registering EVs. Move to a state that requires you to pay ownership tax at reg time. Bitch at me when you get a $2k reg bill up front on an ICE car.. after you already paid sales tax, and pay a monthly escrow lease tax. Where else but glorious Denver.
      Illinois is way more than just registration taxes though. Everytime you turn around you are getting a bill or tax for something unexpected.

Cars
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      05-13-2019 06:48 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Illinois is way more than just registration taxes though. Everytime you turn around you are getting a bill or tax for something unexpected.
      I hear you- forgive my obtuseness. All around this country, all I hear are problems from friends/family in so far as everything getting more expensive, while they make the same, and get less effectively. I concur.

Cars
      2008 BMW 335i, 2010 Rav4 V6 Ltd.
      05-13-2019 07:03 PM #61
      I am not afraid of paying taxes. I want to pay taxes because I do not want to be surrounded by stupid or sick people and because I do not want to live under a rock or in a cave. Taxes are good IF used appropriately and accordingly. What I am absolutely infuriated about the tax situation in IL is that we are trying to fill a bottomless pit created by corrupt politicians and the only way they are doing that is by raising taxes. Have you looked at your water and sewer bill lately? We just got a 25% hike for 2019 and the proceeds are specifically designed to go towards that bottomless pit called Illinois Pension Fund. Yeah, we are also supposed to see 5% annual increases on top of that every year till 2021.

At the same time, I've not seen a single decent plan in IL for economic development, improved education, improved infrastructure, incentives to start business, incentives to build a house or build something new. THAT is the maddening part. I love Chicago and everything it has to offer. I hate the insane taxes and the overall inability to show anything for them. I hate how the roads are all totally screwed up here. I pay taxes on 2 cars. I pay gas for 2 cars. Chicago has one of the highest gas prices in the contiguous 48. Yet, I can't find a single 1 mile stretch of road in Chicagoland where there are not potholes or otherwise rough pavement.

You think registration taxes are high with this $1000.00 random charge for EVs but it could be a lot worse. Other states have registration fees based on property value. If IL implements something like that we could ALL end up paying a lot more.

I don't want to move to another state. All of my friends are here. The Midwest has a lot of race tracks in relative proximity to Chicago. Chicago has great food, great entertainment and a lot of diverse neighborhoods to name a few things on the positive side. The state politics drive me nuts though.

P.S.:
      Time to legalize weed in IL! That's billions of dollars of revenue. If used correctly, it could fix a lot of the issues we are dealing with right now...

P.P.S.:
      It's only going to get worse folks. We live in an ever shrinking world, with ever decreasing resources and ever increasing demands. Very soon we'll be paying tax to breathe clean air and drink clean water. It's coming...
      Last edited by vasillalov; 05-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

13. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-13-2019 07:20 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      In 2010 Mayor Daley sold the city parking rights to LAZ parking for 1.15b on a 99 year lease. However, after just 8 years, LAZ made 850 million, and are expected to breakeven by 2020, yet they have 90 YEARS of profit to go!?!?!
      That's why I'm happy his brother lost the mayoral race this year. Since Chicago is stuck with the most expensive parking meters in America now, my feeling was "hopefully anybody but Daley gets elected." I really miss the days before Daley screwed things up when you could feed the parking meters with coins, instead of the credit cards you're stuck with today.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-13-2019 08:28 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Shortly after moving to Phoenix, a new ¼% sales tax increase was proposed... It was approved. I'll be damned if the money wasn't actually spent on infrastructure, just as promised.

Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-13-2019 08:49 PM #64
      Alternately, I am fine with reducing out $700 billion budget on military spending by $25b to pay for the gas tax elimination. I am sure America will still be plenty safe with only a $675 billion dollar military budget.
      But... but... some general won't get his spiffy fighter plane. And some admiral won't get his whiz-bang littoral craft. You're a damn monster!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My folks are planning on retiring in Michigan. When Michigan looks better than your current state, you know something is wrong.
      Yeah, no kidding, dude, I was telling Mrs. DonL the other day... wait...

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      We have cheap prop taxes in DEN- around $1,200 a year. However, my 796 sq ft house is $365,000. So it all balances out one way or another in us getting f'd.
      That's getting insane. It's not California insane, but it's getting insane.

Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      Have you looked at your water and sewer bill lately? We just got a 25% hike for 2019 and the proceeds are specifically designed to go towards that bottomless pit called Illinois Pension Fund. Yeah, we are also supposed to see 5% annual increases on top of that every year till 2021.
      It'll never happen. Maybe 10% will find its way into the pension fund. Maybe 10% will find its way to infrastructure repair and improvements. And that's only so that some assclown politician can go on the record and say that they're "doing something to help the fine people of Illinois" and stump for a never ending election cycle. The rest will be washed by patronage, graft, and corruption into slush funds buried in deep, dark corners of the general fund, and when somebody goes looking for it...

Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-14-2019 04:00 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      I am not afraid of paying taxes. I want to pay taxes because I do not want to be surrounded by stupid or sick people and because I do not want to live under a rock or in a cave. Taxes are good IF used appropriately and accordingly. What I am absolutely infuriated about the tax situation in IL is that we are trying to fill a bottomless pit created by corrupt politicians and the only way they are doing that is by raising taxes. Have you looked at your water and sewer bill lately? We just got a 25% hike for 2019 and the proceeds are specifically designed to go towards that bottomless pit called Illinois Pension Fund. Yeah, we are also supposed to see 5% annual increases on top of that every year till 2021.

At the same time, I've not seen a single decent plan in IL for economic development, improved education, improved infrastructure, incentives to start business, incentives to build a house or build something new. THAT is the maddening part. I love Chicago and everything it has to offer. I hate the insane taxes and the overall inability to show anything for them. I hate how the roads are all totally screwed up here. I pay taxes on 2 cars. I pay gas for 2 cars. Chicago has one of the highest gas prices in the contiguous 48. Yet, I can't find a single 1 mile stretch of road in Chicagoland where there are not potholes or otherwise rough pavement.

You think registration taxes are high with this $1000.00 random charge for EVs but it could be a lot worse. Other states have registration fees based on property value. If IL implements something like that we could ALL end up paying a lot more.

I don't want to move to another state. All of my friends are here. The Midwest has a lot of race tracks in relative proximity to Chicago. Chicago has great food, great entertainment and a lot of diverse neighborhoods to name a few things on the positive side. The state politics drive me nuts though.

P.S.:
      Time to legalize weed in IL! That's billions of dollars of revenue. If used correctly, it could fix a lot of the issues we are dealing with right now...

P.P.S.:
      It's only going to get worse folks. We live in an ever shrinking world, with ever decreasing resources and ever increasing demands. Very soon we'll be paying tax to breathe clean air and drink clean water. It's coming...
      EXACTLY!!!! people that dont live here have no idea. Its cheaper to park in NYC than it is in chicago for example.

The pension situation is really a huge cluster than has no real solution, outside of the city declaring bankruptcy. there was even an agreement on it a few years ago that would have drastically helped, but it was struck down by the Illinois supreme court. As for bankruptcy, for a world city like Chicago, its only a last resort option. the blowback of such a move would be huge.

As for weed, YES!!! PLEASE legalize it already! I dont partake, but we need the tax revenue.

05-14-2019 04:20 PM #66
      Oh my gosh. TCL got old all of a sudden. I bet you people are a blast at parties.

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 91 Dynasty | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-14-2019 04:35 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Oh my gosh. TCL got old all of a sudden. I bet you people are a blast at parties.

Chris
      Parties? I'm in bed by 9:30.

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      05-14-2019 05:03 PM #68

That is absolutely absurd. I pay less in annual real property taxes than that despite the assessed value of the property being triple that.

What makes it especially painful is that now tax payers can only deduct up to $10k in taxes under the Tax Reform Bill. So that's even less incentive for someone living in IL to buy anything more than a very modest home.

Seems like IL's solution to its dwindling population is to keep increasing taxes on the remaining tax payers until there won't be anyone left to tax.

20. 05-14-2019 05:48 PM #69

Chris
      If you read through the thread, members are asking for lower taxes and weed. So yeah, they probably are a blast at parties

05-14-2019 05:56 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Parties? I'm in bed by 9:30.
      WHOA, look at who's bragging about still being a night owl.

Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Seems like IL's solution to its dwindling population is to keep increasing taxes on the remaining tax payers until there won't be anyone left to tax.
      You know, my standard activity on TCL is to take whatever somebody posts, and try to find a way to tell them they are wrong, or that it's not as bad as they think. State governments can be a real thorn, though. It's hard to picture a positive outcome when you have growing pension liabilities at the same time as a dwindling population in a time when your state is already higher tax than other states. I feel like governments can have an event horizon where things get progressively worse the closer they get to doom, but it's still possible to save yourself up until the point where you cross the event horizon of the black hole of debt, unfunded liabilities, and population shrinkage. I'll be honest, I don't know anything about Illinois state government, but if its really so bad, then I feel for any of you that live and work there and may be trying to decide if you go down with the ship or what.

In a worst case, the population exodus also tanks small home values, putting more homeowners underwater and making it harder for them to leave, or at least hard to leave with their credit score intact. Houses then being foreclosed on further drag down neighborhood values, and it's like the 2007-09 housing crisis, but on a local level where there can be no bailout of the type that is possible when the crisis is on a national level. Good luck, Illinois. I hope the internet is exaggerating how bad the problem is.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 05-14-2019 at 06:01 PM.

05-14-2019 05:58 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      If you read through the thread, members are asking for lower taxes and weed. So yeah, they probably are a blast at parties
      Oh, I read through the thread. And if anybody should be encouraging someone to read through the thread, its probably not you.

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 91 Dynasty | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      05-14-2019 06:19 PM #72
      So, basically what I got from this thread is there is no reason to live in Illinois.

24. 05-14-2019 06:29 PM #73
      Oh, I read through the thread. And if anybody should be encouraging someone to read through the thread, its probably not you.

Chris
      You're so right, my bad, I was laser focused on seven grand

For penance for my flub I had to do laundry for all of the TCL posters here. Turns out that it was mostly thongs, so it wasn't too hard to do!

This thread did make me appreciate how good I have it in NC.

Hey Illinois, quit sticking it to my TCL homies!

05-14-2019 06:54 PM #74
      Good luck, Illinois. I hope the internet is exaggerating how bad the problem is.
      Well shoot, look who's sitting in 50th place of the 50 states for fiscal health. Good luck, Illinois. I honestly had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mercatus.org
      Summary

On the basis of its solvency in five separate categories, Illinois ranks 50th among the US states for fiscal health. Illinois has between 0.55 and 1.13 times the cash needed to cover short-term obligations, well below the US average. Revenues only cover 92 percent of expenses, with a worsening net position of –$450 per capita. In the long run, Illinois’s negative net asset ratio of 2.86 points to the use of debt and large unfunded obligations. Long-term liabilities are higher than the national average, at 330 percent of total assets, or $12,816 per capita. Total unfunded pension liabilities that are guaranteed to be paid are $445.79 billion, or 67 percent of state personal income. OPEB are $51.90 billion, or 8 percent of state personal income.

26. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-14-2019 07:08 PM #75
      WHOA, look at who's bragging about still being a night owl.

You know, my standard activity on TCL is to take whatever somebody posts, and try to find a way to tell them they are wrong, or that it's not as bad as they think. State governments can be a real thorn, though. It's hard to picture a positive outcome when you have growing pension liabilities at the same time as a dwindling population in a time when your state is already higher tax than other states. I feel like governments can have an event horizon where things get progressively worse the closer they get to doom, but it's still possible to save yourself up until the point where you cross the event horizon of the black hole of debt, unfunded liabilities, and population shrinkage. I'll be honest, I don't know anything about Illinois state government, but if its really so bad, then I feel for any of you that live and work there and may be trying to decide if you go down with the ship or what.

In a worst case, the population exodus also tanks small home values, putting more homeowners underwater and making it harder for them to leave, or at least hard to leave with their credit score intact. Houses then being foreclosed on further drag down neighborhood values, and it's like the 2007-09 housing crisis, but on a local level where there can be no bailout of the type that is possible when the crisis is on a national level. Good luck, Illinois. I hope the internet is exaggerating how bad the problem is.
      So basically, Detroit?

And yea, Illinois is in a death spiral. I think the only thing that can break it is a combo of bankruptcy and a complete draining of its political swamp. It's a shamelessly corrupt state.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast