Fourtitude.com - Illinois is giving you less reason to buy electric cars.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. 05-12-2019 06:29 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by zombie06 View Post
      The intellectual bar for becoming an Illinois legislator is probably very low, but I it may be a bit higher than what's required to do basic math, such as 1,000 x 7,000.
      True

It wasn't seven times a thousand, ha!

Sucks for those in an EV. They have an angle in that EVs do use the road but seriously, it's still a money grab. Just much more than I stated, ha!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-12-2019 06:39 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      It says, "owners of electric cars may be facing a $1,000 annual state registration fee". The fee times vehicles sold equals seven grand. Per year.

Holy fek, if you're right and they're getting seven million out of fees for seven thousand cars I want in. Who do I talk to about being an Illinois legislator?
      And if the stories about Illinois' graft and union corruption are close, that seven million might cover, what, two miles of bad road?

EDIT: I looked further. The closest figure I could find was around $52K per lane mile in Illinois.

https://midwestepi.org/2017/05/03/wh...in-your-state/

Trying to find the per-mile road repair cost in Illinois, I came across this:

The rapidly deteriorating condition of Illinois roads, bridges, and transit systems is producing increased congestion and vehicle maintenance costs, and the annual cost of needed repairs currently stands at $4.6 billion per year, according to a new study [8] released today by the Illinois Economic Policy Institute.

In making the case for urgent transportation funding, study author Mary Craighead notes [9] that the backlog of Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) roadway miles requiring immediate attention has increased by 85% (from 1,700 to 3,300) since 2000.

Approximately 62% of the state’s bridges are over 30 years old, with roughly a third more than 50 years old and having “exceeded their design life.” Almost 31% of the Regional Transportation Authority’s assets are not in a state of good repair, and downstate transportation systems face a 10-year maintenance funding shortfall of $2 billion

If nothing changes, Craighead notes that the situation will worsen dramatically—with the IDOT road backlog expected to grow by 101%, and the bridge backlog to grow by another 64% by 2023.

While the report notes that motorists are paying 29% less in motor fuel taxes to support the maintenance of state transportation systems today than they were in 1999, it also points out that they are already feeling the effects of the backlog. Since 2000, the average peak Chicago commuter has seen their annual time spent in traffic delays [10] grow from 52 to 61 hours, with annual maintenance costs due to inferior roadways costing each driver [11] around $630 per year.

With the Trump Administration’s infrastructure proposal offering few federal funds and emphasizing state and local revenue streams, Illinois would need to generate more than $4.6 billion per year to bring all statewide transportation systems into a state of good repair. The report notes that this would require a 347% increase in gasoline taxes and 365% increase in special fuel taxes, a 472% increase in vehicle registration fees, or a 4-5 cents per mile user fee charged to each Illinois driver.

Craighead will be presenting the findings of her recent state transportation needs assessment at the House Transportation: Regulation, Roads & Bridges Committee Hearing on Wednesday. The hearing will be on the effects of the proposed federal infrastructure plan.
      https://www.roadsbridges.com/report-...es-and-transit
      Last edited by DonL; 05-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

4. 05-12-2019 06:47 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      And if the stories about Illinois' graft and union corruption are close, that seven million might cover, what, two miles of bad road?

Trying to find the per-mile road repair cost in Illinois, I came across this:

https://www.roadsbridges.com/report-...es-and-transit
      If they had let me do the figures today I would have botched it

I had seven grand on the brain. Hell, for that much we could have taken up a collection on TCL and paid the fee. For seven million, you're on your own EV nerds

I read your post and I see this is kind of crap happening here in NC too before long.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-12-2019 07:31 PM #29
      If they had let me do the figures today I would have botched it

I had seven grand on the brain. Hell, for that much we could have taken up a collection on TCL and paid the fee. For seven million, you're on your own EV nerds

I read your post and I see this is kind of crap happening here in NC too before long.
      We're in a similar situation as Illinois. In our case, vast under-spending over the last couple of decades because highway funds were siphoned into the general fund and lost for eternity, inability of the grub'mint to trace and allocate the funds properly, and multiple tax and fee increases with nothing to show for it.

Our governor wanted to float another $0.45 per gallon increase to "fix the damn roads" (her campaign slogan) and the fine print was that only a small percentage of that tax would find its way into the highway allocation fund. It's the same type of political bull**** over and over.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

6. 05-12-2019 07:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      We're in a similar situation as Illinois. In our case, vast under-spending over the last couple of decades because highway funds were siphoned into the general fund and lost for eternity, inability of the grub'mint to trace and allocate the funds properly, and multiple tax and fee increases with nothing to show for it.

Our governor wanted to float another $0.45 per gallon increase to "fix the damn roads" (her campaign slogan) and the fine print was that only a small percentage of that tax would find its way into the highway allocation fund. It's the same type of political bull**** over and over.
      In bold, fek yes, agree totally.

The roads near me use to be decent. I'm a cyclist so I now the roads intimately, it's a great place to ride and drive.

I have a FiST and love it. Recently I've had to make trips to each of three nearby small cities and man, the roads just beat my car up. Winston Salem is the worst, the city streets are best traversed in a Jeep! I hate having to go anywhere near that place

Some local rep is pushing a $10 bicycle registration fee. A holes. Like you posted, monies collected for one thing are just used to find another while the original reason for the tax goes wanting.

Looks like Illinois has the EV crowd by the nads. Remember names when it's time to vote I say.

7. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-12-2019 10:08 PM #31
      Seven grand? Elon tosses more money than that on his "habbit". He should pay the fee for publicity sake.

Greedy money grab is greedy, bad Illinois, bad Illinois
      What is 7,300 times 1,000.

8. 05-12-2019 10:14 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      What is 7,300 times 1,000.
      Yeah, I got laser focused on seven grand, Ha! Seven million is serious coin. As DonL pointed out though, where that money goes is the trick.

9. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-12-2019 10:33 PM #33
      Yeah, I got laser focused on seven grand, Ha! Seven million is serious coin. As DonL pointed out though, where that money goes is the trick.
      $7.3M is a fly's **** in the context of a.... $38B budget

This just speaks to how stupid the Illinois legislature is. I feel sorry for everyone trapped in that hellhole

10. 05-12-2019 10:52 PM #34

This just speaks to how stupid the Illinois legislature is. I feel sorry for everyone trapped in that hellhole
      But as our forum friend pointed out, it's coming for us all in every state in one form or another.

It's true our infrastructure needs repair, but they'll tax us and waste the money elsewhere. As always.

Cars
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      05-12-2019 11:12 PM #35
      But as our forum friend pointed out, it's coming for us all in every state in one form or another.

It's true our infrastructure needs repair, but they'll tax us and waste the money elsewhere. As always.
      I'm a native Californian who was exiled (by my job) to Arizona back in 2004. Our company, based in South Carolina, was targeted by the California Franchise Tax Board for sales taxes on products we sold, as a distributor, to resellers who then sold to end customers. The responsibility for collecting sales tax was on the reseller, not us as a distributor. But they came after us and said that WE had to prove that our customers had paid their sales taxes on the goods we sold them, and if we couldn't, then we had to pay - and they wanted something like $7m. Right now. So our CEO gave Sacramento the middle finger, and we packed up our OC sales office and consolidated it into an existing office in Phoenix. I received a $20k bonus + moving expenses to move. Let's just say they didn't have to twist my arm.

Shortly after moving to Phoenix, a new ¼% sales tax increase was proposed, to pay for some highway projects, mainly the Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) project that would connect the west side of Phoenix with the east side, eliminating the need for through traffic to pass through Phoenix, as well as providing far greater access for residents. It was approved. I'll be damned if the money wasn't actually spent on infrastructure, just as promised. Even through the great recession, highway work continued - both maintenance and new projects, thanks to that tax increase. And now that massive Loop 202 project, underway since 2017, is nearing completion later this year. It's an impressive project.

Is Arizona government perfect? Far from it, none of the state/local governments are. But it's been better than most in my time here.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

12. 05-12-2019 11:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      I'm a native Californian who was exiled (by my job) to Arizona back in 2004. Our company, based in South Carolina, was targeted by the California Franchise Tax Board for sales taxes on products we sold, as a distributor, to resellers who then sold to end customers. The responsibility for collecting sales tax was on the reseller, not us as a distributor. But they came after us and said that WE had to prove that our customers had paid their sales taxes on the goods we sold them, and if we couldn't, then we had to pay - and they wanted something like $7m. Right now. So our CEO gave Sacramento the middle finger, and we packed up our OC sales office and consolidated it into an existing office in Phoenix. I received a $20k bonus + moving expenses to move. Let's just say they didn't have to twist my arm.

Shortly after moving to Phoenix, a new ¼% sales tax increase was proposed, to pay for some highway projects, mainly the Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) project that would connect the west side of Phoenix with the east side, eliminating the need for through traffic to pass through Phoenix, as well as providing far greater access for residents. It was approved. I'll be damned if the money wasn't actually spent on infrastructure, just as promised. Even through the great recession, highway work continued - both maintenance and new projects, thanks to that tax increase. And now that massive Loop 202 project, underway since 2017, is nearing completion later this year. It's an impressive project.

Is Arizona government perfect? Far from it, none of the state/local governments are. But it's been better than most in my time here.
      Good to hear some government entity actually did what it was supposed to do. Unfortunately it is a rare occurrence.

It's more of legislatures finding new vehicles (ha!) to fee the citizens. From the OP's link:

"From 2010-2015, 1.2 million motorists in Chicago received 1.5 million tickets as part of the city's red-light and speed camera programs. Residents filed a class action lawsuit, alleging the programs violated the rights of over a million people after the city took more than $285 million, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. The city agreed to settle, with the average resident getting about $36.62. Those who had already paid their tickets before the lawsuit
      were out of luck."

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-13-2019 12:32 AM #37

Article posted previously says there are 15,000 EVs in IL. So it is $15 million.

14. 05-13-2019 12:48 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Article posted previously says there are 15,000 EVs in IL. So it is $15 million.
      Yeah, it was my bad. He rightly quoted total 2018 Illinois EV sales of about seventy three hundred units that I posted. So that's correct for one year's sales.

I had seven grand on the brain after that for some reason

But I did post that 15,000 EVs are currently registered in Illinois. So you're right too, 15 million.

Money grabbing beeyotchs IMO, I will be shocked if the money goes where it's supposed to. And it is a kick in the nads for EV owners. And, well, EV sellers too going forward.

05-13-2019 11:33 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Not this stupid argument again.

Tell me - at what point is taxing the "rich" enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.
      A quick search indicates the total revenue of federal gas taxes is $25 billion. The latest federal budget shows $3300 billion in revenue, so losing $25b in direct gas tax revenue means a very meaningful tax cut for the workers of the nation and only a 0.75% tax increase needed to make up for it at the high end. The wealthiest citizens of America regularly and consistently argue for raising income taxes on the wealthiest income earners, so I don't think a 0.75% increase would be a big deal for them, especially after the recent tax cut from 39.6% to 37% at the top. Alternately, I am fine with reducing out $700 billion budget on military spending by $25b to pay for the gas tax elimination. I am sure America will still be plenty safe with only a $675 billion dollar military budget.

I hear your point loud and clear, but this isn't an insurmountable amount of money to address. It's achievable and I have provided two options to pay for it.

16. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-13-2019 12:08 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Alternately, I am fine with reducing out $700 billion budget on military spending by $25b to pay for the gas tax elimination. I am sure America will still be plenty safe with only a $675 billion dollar military budget.
      But but but...the F-35 is hungry again!!1!

Cars
      A Mexican made German car and an American made Japanese van
      05-13-2019 12:38 PM #41
      There is also a proposed bill that would increase our gas tax to make us the highest in the nation.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Rabbit, I'd love your meat.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Reported.

18. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-13-2019 12:52 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by dh71704 View Post
      This state sucks.
      Chicago shrimp, deep dish pizza, and Eyetalian beefs disagree with your statement.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

19. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-13-2019 03:07 PM #43
      There is also a proposed bill that would increase our gas tax to make us the highest in the nation.
      It's really bad news, maybe not as bad as what they've proposed for electric cars but either way they're giving you more reason to ditch the mismanaged state of Illinois.
      House Bill 3233 was introduced earlier this week by Chicago Democratic Sen. Martin Sandoval. According to the Chicago Tribune, the legislation would double the state’s gas tax by 44 cents a gallon, double the driver’s license fee to $60 and raise the vehicle registration fee to $148. Currently, the driver’s license fee is $30 and the vehicle registration fee is $98.
      https://wrex.com/category/2019/05/09...-license-fees/

20. Member
      Cars
      MK7 GTI
      05-13-2019 03:30 PM #44
      What a shocker. The tollway authority recently hiked tolls while ringing up the highest user amount in its history as well. All of this can kiss my ass.

Cars
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      05-13-2019 03:48 PM #45
      I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and my parents and 2 brothers are still there. I really don't know why though. I now live in Washington

My house and my parent's house have similar market values, and both are in good school districts. They pay $9K more a year in property tax.
      I pay $0 in state income tax
      EVs pay an extra $150/yr in registration tax here in WA. That seems reasonable to me.
      I can walk to my local Cannabis dispensary and buy pretty much whatever I want. My dad needs to wait until he comes to visit me to do that.

BUT

The pizza out here sucks
      The hot dogs out here have cream cheese on them (what?)
      Gas is a bit more expense than in IL
      My wife is a public school teacher, and makes $20K less than what a comparable IL public school teacher makes.
      I-5 is worse than any of the Chicago highways
      Public Transportation is WAY better in IL (at least the Chicago metro area)

My folks are planning on retiring in Michigan. When Michigan looks better than your current state, you know something is wrong.
      Last edited by Volkl; 05-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.

22. 05-13-2019 04:02 PM #46
      This state sucks.
      Yes it does.
      15B in pension debt in the 90s. Kick it down the road 20 years or so.
      Now its 100B and their answer is raising taxes on everything
      Boiler Up!

23. 05-13-2019 04:12 PM #47

Looks like Illinois has the EV crowd by the nads. Remember names when it's time to vote I say.
      Madigan is the only name you need to know.
      He runs the state.

Basically crippled Rauner for 4 years and now has his new pawn in playing Gov. Only way out of this is to vote Republican each and every time you go to the ballot box. But this state won't do it.
      For as awful as Pat Quinn was, he still was almost reelected
      Boiler Up!

05-13-2019 04:13 PM #48
      Isn't Rivian building their electric trucks at the old Diamond Star plant downstate? You'd think they'd be reconsidering assembling stuff in this sh*thole.

25. Member
      Cars
      MK7 GTI
      05-13-2019 04:17 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and my parents and 2 brothers are still there. I really don't know why though. I now live in Washington

My house and my parent's house have similar market values, and both are in good school districts. They pay $9K more a year in property tax.
      I pay $0 in state income tax
      EVs pay an extra $150/yr in registration tax here in WA. That seems reasonable to me.
      I can walk to my local Cannabis dispensary and buy pretty much whatever I want. My dad needs to wait until he comes to visit me to do that.

BUT

The pizza out here sucks
      The hot dogs out here have cream cheese on them (what?)
      Gas is a bit more expense than in IL
      My wife is a public school teacher, and makes $20K less than what a comparable IL public school teacher makes.
      I-5 is worse than any of the Chicago highways
      Public Transportation is WAY better in IL (at least the Chicago metro area)

My folks are planning on retiring in Michigan. When Michigan looks better than your current state, you know something is wrong.
      My property tax payment is just about ready to intersect my mortgage payment. New license plate idea: "Illinois is for masochistic lovers."

26. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-13-2019 05:27 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      Isn't Rivian building their electric trucks at the old Diamond Star plant downstate? You'd think they'd be reconsidering assembling stuff in this sh*thole.
      As far as I know Rivian is going to roll the dice in Normal, Illinois. Sounds like a risky move, even if they acquired the factory for small change.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast