Fourtitude.com - Illinois is giving you less reason to buy electric cars.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-11-2019 11:05 PM #1
      It's funny since I'm seeing a ton of Tesla 3's pop up all over the place around here now. A friend of mine even bought a 3 too. What's interesting is Uncle Sam is giving you reason to buy electrics in the form of tax credits. What's good for the feds though does states no good since their beloved gas tax to maintain highways is null and void with pure electrics. Illinois believes they've found a way around that though now by charging you a $1000 registration fee. It's another sad case of what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
      https://www.foxnews.com/auto/illinoi...le-legislation

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-11-2019 11:26 PM #2
      Wow, hope that gets shot down. Theory is good but $1K is unreasonable.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-11-2019 11:27 PM #3
      Other states are looking at or have added taxes on EVs. $1000 per year seems high but it depends on what the state's gas tax is and what other taxes on ICE vehicles are. When it comes right down to it, I think every vehicle/driver should pay to use the roads in the proportion that they use them.

05-11-2019 11:42 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Other states are looking at or have added taxes on EVs. $1000 per year seems high but it depends on what the state's gas tax is and what other taxes on ICE vehicles are. When it comes right down to it, I think every vehicle/driver should pay to use the roads in the proportion that they use them.
      Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      05-12-2019 02:54 AM #5
      From what I can tell, that's the equivalent tax of almost 2700 gallons of gasoline, or ~80k miles if you get 30 miles to the gallon.

This is a dollar amount either chosen out of idiocy or desire to punish EV drivers.

Even if you take the article as saying that it's $1000 per year for registration, to include the ~$200 registration fee, you're still talking about charging someone the equivalent of buying 2100 gallons of gasoline. Annually.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 05-12-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Found better tax numbers
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      06 4runner
      05-12-2019 03:18 AM #6
      Just do what Arizona does, your registration fee is determined by the value of your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05-12-2019 07:51 AM #7
      I think this is very wrongheaded IMO. The only true way to make this fair for everyone is to make the registration fee based on yearly miles driven. No one would be forced to pay more due to the vehicle they drive.

My state has moved to a weight based, and putatively high priced registration scheme. I paid $550 the other month to register MY SUV. It is unfair t IMO, because I only drive it 1500 miles per year, while a lighter car could rack up 30,000 miles and pay half the cost. I am fine with paying the gas tax, since my vehicle guzzles it, and deserves to pay a higher rate than a Prius, or Tesla.

If we moved to a mileage based fee (verified at your yearly safety inspection) then it would be a simple transaction of paying a fee to use the roads, and no loophole would preclude you from paying your share.

Cars
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      05-12-2019 08:40 AM #8
      Raise the gas tax. https://www.npr.org/2018/10/05/65467...as-tax-went-up

Looking at the article, it has a chart showing Illinois last raised their gas tax in 1990. Average MPG of a car then was about 27 mpg , now it is around 33 mpg. So the taxes raised from purchasing gas has gone down over the years. I doubt any of Illinois legislature have not had a pay raise in 29 years.
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-12-2019 10:04 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead. This will give all the workers of the world a break and they will in turn spend more money, which helps businesses, which ultimately helps the rich anyway by adding more business and more shareholder value. It's win-win.
      I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm an Illinoisan and a progressive. However, I don't like how hard this proposed tax will hit the working class. Because real estate is expensive, and the metropolitan area is quite large, many in the Chicago area commute long distances (often in stop and go traffic) to get from where they live to where they work. So fuel can be a sizeable cost and we already pay usage fees for the expressways in terms of tolls. Because of real estate prices, moving closer to work isn't an option for everyone.

The registration fees for electric cars is most disappointing... that's really going to slow down adoption of EVs by the middle class. A Camry SE Hybrid is looking more and more enticing for my next car...
      Last edited by BUJonathan; 05-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.
      =

Cars
      2018 Porsche Macan, 2019 Porsche Cayenne, 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ - 60th Anniversary
      05-12-2019 10:23 AM #10
      Ugh this state...

12. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      05-12-2019 10:39 AM #11
      Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but you are fairly conservative leaning if I remember correctly. Right?
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      A Mexican made German car and an American made Japanese van
      05-12-2019 10:44 AM #12
      This state sucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Rabbit, I'd love your meat.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Reported.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-12-2019 11:03 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      From what I can tell, that's the equivalent tax of almost 2700 gallons of gasoline, or ~80k miles if you get 30 miles to the gallon.

This is a dollar amount either chosen out of idiocy or desire to punish EV drivers.
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I think this is very wrongheaded IMO. The only true way to make this fair for everyone is to make the registration fee based on yearly miles driven. No one would be forced to pay more due to the vehicle they drive.

My state has moved to a weight based, and putatively high priced registration scheme. I paid $550 the other month to register MY SUV. It is unfair t IMO, because I only drive it 1500 miles per year, while a lighter car could rack up 30,000 miles and pay half the cost. I am fine with paying the gas tax, since my vehicle guzzles it, and deserves to pay a higher rate than a Prius, or Tesla.

If we moved to a mileage based fee (verified at your yearly safety inspection) then it would be a simple transaction of paying a fee to use the roads, and no loophole would preclude you from paying your share.
      All of these. They pulled that fee completely out of their asses and has no basis in reality. Personally, I think that a mileage-based structure is much more appropriate, maybe with a secondary tier for vehicles over a certain weight class that could arguably cause more impact/damage to the road.

In Speedy's case, I'd wonder if a lighter vehicle driving 20X the annual mileage would cause more wear and tear on the road than his SUV that's parked most of its life.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      05-12-2019 01:32 PM #14
      Personally I don't think we should have any gas tax or vehicle taxes whatsoever, because such taxes tend to hit the working class the hardest. Do away with those taxes and raise taxes on the top tax bracket instead.
      Not this stupid argument again.

Tell me - at what point is taxing the "rich" enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

16. 05-12-2019 02:13 PM #15
      What a laugh at Illinois, money sucking bureaucrats. * I mean, they only sold seventy three hundred EVs in the state. So they net just over seven grand for this farce.

The Illinois legislature could pay that out of their slush fund.

Here in NC they are trying to register bicycles again. If a poor person has a dime, they want to skim a few pennies.

* https://evadoption.com/ev-market-sha...t-share-state/

17. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-12-2019 02:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

Tell me - at what point is taxing the "rich" enough? What exactly is their fair share? 50%? 70%? 90%?? They already pay the bulk of all taxes, and some of you always want to extract more. It's insane.
      Agreed. Progressive, flat and even regressive taxes have their place. In terms of car/road taxes, a per use tax is fair. To me the most logical tax is a mileage x GVWR x some factor one. At least for road use tax.

As far as this tax though... Illinois gonna Illinois.

18. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-12-2019 03:33 PM #17

Illinois latest governor is trying to lay a higher income tax on the rich right right now. That's mainly for 2 reasons. 1) Illinois so broke now even their bonds are rated at junk bonds level. 2) Illinois charges a flat tax on all income, so it's the same tax rate for everybody no matter if you made 20 thousand or 20 million dollars. For all I know this just might drive more people away from Illinois, which is shrinking in population.

Cars
      2018 Porsche Macan, 2019 Porsche Cayenne, 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ - 60th Anniversary
      05-12-2019 04:20 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Illinois latest governor is trying to lay a higher income tax on the rich right right now. That's mainly for 2 reasons. 1) Illinois so broke now even their bonds are rated at junk bonds level. 2) Illinois charges a flat tax on all income, so it's the same tax rate for everybody no matter if you made 20 thousand or 20 million dollars. For all I know this just might drive more people away from Illinois, which is shrinking in population.
      There isn't a month that goes by that we don't consider leaving the state. We lived out of state for a long time and came back from Los Angeles 10 years ago (to start a family) when CA was in shambles and IL was "technically" doing well.. Feel like things are quite the opposite now. With aging parents on both sides and a lot of family in the area leaving again would be hard (especially now that we have kids), but it's insane what's happening around here.

Can't wait until they get around to passing the 1% property tax hike that's been floating around the state government last few months. We already have some of the highest property taxes in the nation and now they're considering a 1% increase (based on the gross value of your home/land). As an example, let's say you're paying $10k in property taxes and your house has been appraised at $500k. This 1% increase means you'd now have pay a $5,000 more in taxes... So that actually ends up being a 50% increase in your annual tax bill.

Cars
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      05-12-2019 04:44 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      What a laugh at Illinois, money sucking bureaucrats. * I mean, they only sold seventy three hundred EVs in the state. So they net just over seven grand for this farce.

Try again.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

21. 05-12-2019 05:44 PM #20

Try again.
      Seven grand? Elon tosses more money than that on his "habbit". He should pay the fee for publicity sake.

Greedy money grab is greedy, bad Illinois, bad Illinois

22. 05-12-2019 05:59 PM #21
      Here, take all EVs registered in Illinois and it's still chump change for a state with that big if a population:

* Illinois ranked seventh in EV sales last year, at 6,400 vehicles. There were about 15,000 electric vehicles registered in the state as of last month.

* https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...story,amp.html

The predictions of future EV sales in the state are certainly optimistic to say the least. But for now, it's just another example of state representatives fleecing their constituents.

23. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      05-12-2019 05:59 PM #22
      Seven grand? Elon tosses more money than that on his "habbit". He should pay the fee for publicity sake.

Greedy money grab is greedy, bad Illinois, bad Illinois
      Where are you getting it only bringing in a little over $7K?
      7k+ vehicles at $1000 a year is over $7,000,000.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

24. 05-12-2019 06:12 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Where are you getting it only bringing in a little over $7K?
      7k+ vehicles at $1000 a year is over $7,000,000.
      It says, "owners of electric cars may be facing a $1,000 annual state registration fee". The fee times vehicles sold equals seven grand. Per year.

Holy fek, if you're right and they're getting seven million out of fees for seven thousand cars I want in. Who do I talk to about being an Illinois legislator?

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-12-2019 06:23 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      "Tax the rich. Tax the rich. Tax the rich. We did that. God forbid the rich leave...”

- Andy Cuomo
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

26. 05-12-2019 06:23 PM #25
      It says, "owners of electric cars may be facing a $1,000 annual state registration fee". The fee times vehicles sold equals seven grand. Per year.

Holy fek, if you're right and they're getting seven million out of fees for seven thousand cars I want in. Who do I talk to about being an Illinois legislator?
      The intellectual bar for becoming an Illinois legislator is probably very low, but I it may be a bit higher than what's required to do basic math, such as 1,000 x 7,000.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast