Fourtitude.com - I'm considering buying a used EV. If you own one, talk to me.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Cars
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      05-06-2019 03:39 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      I stand by my statement that it's nicer than a '97 Metro.
      I'll see you and raise you a '19 Mirage.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-06-2019 03:49 PM #27
      Since you've been driving a Geo Metro, I'm going to recommend you check out the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I'd just stay off the Mitsubishi iMEVs...they kinda suck.
      I stand by my statement that it's nicer than a '97 Metro.

As for the i-MiEV, I just... can't. Even I have standards (low though they may be).
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

4. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      05-06-2019 04:30 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Do you think it's the most fun of the 1st generation cars? I was kinda "meh" at it, and it really is sub-sub compact in terms of interior volume compared to the others that are in the price range.

For me, in terms of fun I ranked them (most to least):
      i3
      Focus EV
      Spark
      E-Golf
      Licking a 9V battery
      Leaf

No real Soul EV or fit EV or other edge case compliance cars to test out here, and I ruled out the 500e because I needs at least vestigial rear doors.
      I haven't driven an E-Golf (but my OEM clients speak very fondly of it - and I don't work for VW.) Given that, here are my thoughts, ranked in order of fun-ness:

Focus EV: It gives up little to the regular car in dynamics. It actually feels more solid, thanks to the weight. Battery sucks up a lot of the trunk.

i3: I have mixed feelings here. There's a lot of cool things going on, but the high CG didn't help its dynamics for me, even if that material is carbon fiber. Still, it's a pretty nice car.

Spark: So wicked fast, and much more refined than the gas car. But is kinda a flyweight. I wish the 2nd gen Spark came in EV form.

Licking 9V battery: Tingly! More refined than merely drinking acid.

Leaf: I just couldn't do it. It like Nissan decided to build an EV for Buick, and benchmarked my 1981 Electra for dynamics and seat cushion firmness.

Personally, I'm hoping the Escape PHEV turns out well, and is somewhat affordable. Meanwhile, I'm going to search CarGurus for a 2018 Fusion Platinum Energi...

Tom

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-06-2019 04:30 PM #29
      Another vote for a Volt. My son has a lease 2017 and a purchased 2018. The 2018 was just $17,700 with 3000 miles on it.

One of the few EVs you can drive cross country in the same amount of time it takes to drive an ICE vehicle.

Last edited by spockcat; 05-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.

6. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-06-2019 05:03 PM #30
      We have a 2017 Bolt, and are about 1 week away from having a PV array installed on our roof.

The Bolt has been flawless (as you'd expect). Somewhere under 15k on it now, and I think the only thing it's been to the dealer for is a software update. The biggest issue with it has been finding wiper blades.

We have a Level 2 charger in our garage; that's more than sufficient given it's typical around-town use. We have done longer trips, including clocking 190+ miles in one freeway jaunt last August.

The biggest issue is range in Winter. Even though it's garaged, thermal management of the pack + using the grid cabin heater = big max range drop. Seattle-->Portland (which is about as far as we usually go) on one charge isn't an option in Winter months.

It's a great car otherwise. Very decent to drive, although the front seats are not comfortable for me and I wish the interior didn't have such an economy car feel. (I realize plush interior materials = more weight, but some intermediate compromise would be nice.)

I'm very interested to see how much the solar array will cover in terms of our overall kWh usage. We converted our HVAC and hot water to electric (Mitsubishi heat pumps) during our renovation last year in anticipation of going solar, so our electric bill has been robust over the Winter. The system estimates from the installer say somewhere between 50-60%, but they are conservative in their calculations as they guarantee a certain amount of output.

I'll keep updating our house build thread (in my sig) regarding the solar.

7. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-06-2019 05:05 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post

As for the i-MiEV, I just... can't. Even I have standards (low though they may be).
      And you shouldn't.

It's as close as you can get to driving a golf cart that requires a driver's license.

8. Senior Member
      05-06-2019 05:12 PM #32
      Yes, until I found out they only have a 3.3 kW onboard charger with no upgrade available. As soon as I discovered that, the Spark fell off my list of contenders.
      With a 19kWh battery, it will take about 6 hours to charge a Spark EV from empty at 3.3kW. If your only anticipated charging is overnight or during the work day, 3.3kW seems sufficient.

9. Senior Member
      05-06-2019 05:15 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Just want to confirm this. I REALLY enjoyed driving the press car we had; a former colleague of mine even owned one when she lived in California.
      Were you shocked?
      https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...s-us/index.htm

10. Member
      Cars
      2018 Model S 100D
      05-06-2019 05:18 PM #34
      I’m current 1 year into my second Tesla Model S lease. I would never go back to a gas car as my only vehicle, but I am considering eventually getting something like a Miata because I miss having a manual transmission. I think if the charging situation works out for you then do it. The lack of maintenance is great, basically just tires and wiper blades. In terms of solar, I would closely look at your electrical bill And how long you plan to be in your house. We moved last year and have a great roof for solar, we got some estimates this spring. It all depends on your electricity cost. Here in Colorado it’s cheap, which makes solar make less sense. We wouldn’t really save any money especially in that we don’t plan to be our house for more than10 years.

11. 05-06-2019 07:12 PM #35
      I am actively in the hunt for a 500e myself. 2016s can be had for as low as $8k, and they still have 1 year of B2B warranty. I am also genuinely interested in the technology, and with a 12 mile commute, it should have no problem, even in the dead of winter.

I also think that they look really cool, much more interesting than a Leaf.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      05-06-2019 08:59 PM #36
      For once, I have nothing to add. You covered the pros and cons of the first-gen leaf and the year differences quite well.
      You’ve done your research.

Edit:
      Actually, now is not a good time to buy as demand is higher due to higher gas prices at some locations.
      Buying during winter is the best due to reduced range and you get a better idea of your minimum range.
      Last edited by someguy123; 05-06-2019 at 09:06 PM.

13. 05-08-2019 12:05 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      We ... are about 1 week away from having a PV array installed on our roof.

I'll keep updating our house build thread (in my sig) regarding the solar.
      I definitely look forward to your house thread updates.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      With a 19kWh battery, it will take about 6 hours to charge a Spark EV from empty at 3.3kW. If your only anticipated charging is overnight or during the work day, 3.3kW seems sufficient.
      And for that, 3.3 kW would usually be sufficient. Still, in my mind this vehicle would be an exact replacement for the Metro... which means I have taken a very close look at how I've used the Metro over the last year. While it never ventured outside Utah, it has gone on multiple drives 90-100 miles from home. If I were to take such a trip in my EV, I'd obviously need to re-charge at my destination... and having a 6.6 kW charger onboard would cut that charge time in half.

Some of you may think I am being unreasonable. You'll say I'm focusing on the 10% usage of my car, when I ought to focus on how I'll use it 90% of the time. While that's a good point, I am also trying to expand my vision so that I can select a car that will let me use it as much as possible. The Spark's slow charging is one issue with this mentality, but there is another (see below).

Nevertheless, you can't ask for advice from TCL and not at least consider heeding it, right? To that end, I took some time today (being my day off work) and found a local 2015 Spark EV to test drive. Photo of the exact car I drove:

Now that I've driven one, I see what you guys mean about being peppy and feeling sporty. Yes, it is definitely that. But it's also damn tiny. So is my Metro, I can already hear you say. But you know what? The Metro is so tiny that I've always treated it like a 2-seater car--any time I may have had a third passenger, I left the Metro at home and drove the Suburban. Wouldn't it be nice to take a third or fourth person with me now and again without having to drop to 12 mpg to do it? I think so. Besides, with an EV being the high tech wonder that it is, I think I'm more likely to want to take people in it--I certainly won't be as ashamed of it as I am the Metro.

Fun through it may be, I still think the Spark is out of the running.
      Dempsey Bowling
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

14. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      05-08-2019 12:48 AM #38
      But it's also damn tiny.
      mmm hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by me
      and it really is sub-sub compact in terms of interior volume compared to the others that are in the price range.
      go find a focus EV. they have all the normal compliance car compromises (reduced interior volume, built from a gasser so less efficient use of space, etc.) but they really do drive well. We ended up with the i3 because we thought it felt the most lively, but we would have been happy with either. the packaging of the i3 is pretty impressive too, lots of interior volume relative to the size of the car. we're at 35k miles right now and my battery shows minimal degradation.

15. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-08-2019 07:33 AM #39
      Used eGolf prices are pretty reasonable, in my part of the world.
      The battery/mileage range is perfect for the typical amount of driving that I do from sun-up to sundown.

16. Member
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      05-08-2019 08:18 AM #40
      We are on i3 #2.

Reported range is one thing, actual is another: our 2015 consistently showed 95 miles once fully charged; the 19 shows 135. Both are range extenders.

If they were mine, the one thing I would hack is control of the range extender. That feature is MIA in US models, but will allow you to cycle it more often (say, on a longer trip) to maintain performance. Their were many reports of extender models trying to drive exclusively on them and not charge - '19's actually have more output than earlier cars and you can rive at 65 with al accessories on.

I've said it before but I find them to be brilliant cars. I can't think of another car at it's price point engineered like it; they are a great drive, hold tons of stuff with the seats down, and I really like the firm seats and driving position.

17. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-08-2019 08:55 AM #41
      go find a focus EV.
      Seconded. The FFE is not nearly as fast as the Spark, but is very refined with excellent steering. Incidentally, it's often difficult to find them when searching on Autotrader or wherever because the dealers don't check the right boxes to show it's the EV. But there are at least four in Utah.

This one is very close to you: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=514160098

18. 05-08-2019 07:49 PM #42
      The FFE ...

But there are at least four in Utah.

This one is very close to you
      Irony: the little used car lot where I drove that white Spark had a Focus EV in stock. I barely gave it a second glace.

As I continue to learn, I've begun looking very closely at every local online ad I can find for a Leaf. I mentioned in my OP that Nissan had upgraded the Leaf's battery for the 2013 model year. They upgraded the battery chemistry again in 2015 specifically to make the battery more heat-tolerant; this generation battery is nicknamed the Lizard. Out of curiosity, I have begun looking very closely at the photos which accompany each ad. So far, every 2015 Leaf I've seen for sale still has all 12 battery capacity bars illuminated--even cars with over 60,000 miles on them! For example, here is the highest mileage 2015 currently for sale around me:

That is much more than I can say for 2013-2014 models, which are usually missing at least 1 or 2 capacity bars by that many miles. Hmm. Maybe stepping up to a 2015 is worth the extra cost after all.

Now a 2015 SV is my target car.
      Dempsey Bowling

19. Member
      Cars
      e-Golf, Miata, GX470, GTV, GT Jr
      05-09-2019 12:14 PM #43
      Do you think it's the most fun of the 1st generation cars? I was kinda "meh" at it, and it really is sub-sub compact in terms of interior volume compared to the others that are in the price range.

For me, in terms of fun I ranked them (most to least):
      i3
      Focus EV
      Spark
      E-Golf
      Licking a 9V battery
      Leaf

No real Soul EV or fit EV or other edge case compliance cars to test out here, and I ruled out the 500e because I needs at least vestigial rear doors.
      And I echo what others are saying about the necessity of a high capacity charger. I don't even have an L2 setup in my house and have always been able to top up before our next outing. We do have the luxury of taking other vehicles when necessary though.
      I drove all of these and we leased an e-Golf - I think it was the most fun of the lot. The original i3 had really bad regen feel and meh steering imho. I heard they had a sport model at some point which was better but I never drove them.

As far as fun to drive my order would be:

e-Golf, 500e, Spark, i3/Focus, Leaf.

I really wish our e-Golf aged better as I would have considered buying it - but it had shameful battery degradation and questionable interior quality. Oh well.

20. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      05-09-2019 01:27 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by rloewy View Post
      I really wish our e-Golf aged better as I would have considered buying it - but it had shameful battery degradation and questionable interior quality. Oh well.
      How much did you lose and where are you located?

21. Member
      Cars
      05-09-2019 01:40 PM #45
      We had a 2015 for 3 years, between 2015 to 2018. It lost 30% of the range in these 3 years. We are near San Diego - so the weather should be pretty friendly for EVs.

The Model 3 was not out when we returned our lease, the e-Golf lease price has doubled compared to our early one and my wife hated the Bolt's seats - so she decided to get another EV lease as cheap as possible to tide her over until the next one - she got the 111 miles range Soul EV - it is a soul-less appliance, but it has shown no battery degradation so far (almost 15K miles, we returned the Golf with 30K miles on it) and seems to be built much better than our e-Golf was. It was also comically cheap to lease - not an inspiring car - but a damn good one and a great value for the money.

22. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      05-09-2019 01:47 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by rloewy View Post
      We had a 2015 for 3 years, between 2015 to 2018. It lost 30% of the range in these 3 years. We are near San Diego - so the weather should be pretty friendly for EVs.
      That's really not great; hopefully VW goes with liquid cooling for their ID cars. Only thing I'll note is that while SD has an amazing climate for people, cars can still get pretty hot sitting in the sun. So it's possible that the battery bakes every day at 100°F+ almost year round.

23. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-09-2019 01:49 PM #47
      I wish we got the same killer EV lease deals in WA state that CA and OR do. I'd have had a $200/mo e-Golf instead of my GTI as a daily driver, no question.

That's shocking about the e-Golf's battery degradation. What did VW say about it?

24. Member
      Cars
      05-09-2019 01:54 PM #48
      That's really not great; hopefully VW goes with liquid cooling for their ID cars. Only thing I'll note is that while SD has an amazing climate for people, cars can still get pretty hot sitting in the sun. So it's possible that the battery bakes every day at 100°F+ almost year round.
      We are not too far from the coast - so the number of really hot days is rather small, especially as this is my wife's car and it is parked in the shade during the work week. As I said, we have seen none of this with the Kia so far. I honestly can not tell you if this is true for all e-Golfs of that generation or if the newer ones that came in 2018 with the extended range have the same chemistry - but ours was better than expected in the fun to drive department but worse than expected in the durability and interior quality.

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      05-09-2019 01:58 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      We are on i3 #2.

Reported range is one thing, actual is another: our 2015 consistently showed 95 miles once fully charged; the 19 shows 135. Both are range extenders.

If they were mine, the one thing I would hack is control of the range extender. That feature is MIA in US models, but will allow you to cycle it more often (say, on a longer trip) to maintain performance. Their were many reports of extender models trying to drive exclusively on them and not charge - '19's actually have more output than earlier cars and you can rive at 65 with al accessories on.

I've said it before but I find them to be brilliant cars. I can't think of another car at it's price point engineered like it; they are a great drive, hold tons of stuff with the seats down, and I really like the firm seats and driving position.

Serious question.... will it baby? like back seat space sufficient for child seat if need be? My wife and I are talking about this lately and if it happens, my MINI isnt gonna cut it if I need to be on baby duty....

also, are there per-se, years to avoid? i'd definitely get one with the rex... even though my commute is less than 6 miles one-way....
      /| OMGHAI |\

26. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      05-09-2019 02:06 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      Serious question.... will it baby? like back seat space sufficient for child seat if need be? My wife and I are talking about this lately and if it happens, my MINI isnt gonna cut it if I need to be on baby duty....

also, are there per-se, years to avoid? i'd definitely get one with the rex... even though my commute is less than 6 miles one-way....
      It'll front facing no problem, we never tried rear facing though. The suicide doors make it kinda complicated to get the little ones in and out, but no B pillar makes things easier sometimes too so... *shrug*

we have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and it's our around town car 95% of the time as a family. AC is a bit weak in TX unless you fight it's eco-mindedness, but that's really the only complaint.

I don't know if there are any years to avoid, mine's a 1st year car and I haven't had any major issues. I will say that the most complaints I see from the FB group and other owners is are related to the REX, BEV owner complaints are far less common.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast