Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Lotus

1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-01-2019 06:35 PM #76
      I see you found a picture of me driving Dave's E-Type.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-01-2019 06:53 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I see you found a picture of me driving Dave's E-Type.
      This is the one.

Cars
      90 Diamond Silver Corrado/06 WRX Wagon - Gone but not forgotten 83 RabGti 91 VW Jetta99 Subaru 2.5RS
      05-01-2019 07:01 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      That's good to know. You've probably driven more of these cars than anyone here. I have not driven one with an LSD yet.

Fewer than 100 units were sold in Canada across all model years (2006-2011) of this generation of Exige. It must be an extremely rare sighting in Canada.

Some colors are 1-of-1 in Canada due to the low number imported.

Beautiful Car and great colour. There is a Lotus that parks in the same parking garage as me in the warm months. I will need to check next time to see if it is an Exige or not. Definitely a rare sight in Toronto. Have fun with the drive back from Phoenix.
      Last edited by cdncrdoguy; 05-01-2019 at 07:03 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Mecum just sold a '64 21 window for $170,000 at their Indianapolis sale. No word on how many later buses it was made out of.

05-01-2019 08:23 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by cdncrdoguy View Post
      Beautiful Car and great colour. There is a Lotus that parks in the same parking garage as me in the warm months. I will need to check next time to see if it is an Exige or not. Definitely a rare sight in Toronto. Have fun with the drive back from Phoenix.
      Thanks , I'm looking forward to a longer drive to become better acquainted with the car.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

05-01-2019 08:40 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Oh HELL yes. I don't care if it doesn't add any performance and costs a gazillion dollars, that scoop is so cool you could keep ice cream in it.
      I think that full scoop is so cool too. How many cars have an OEM roof scoop available like that?

I'm going to try to find one of the OEM roof panels from a wrecked example, and then repaint it the OEM Chrome Orange color. I've learned that only the S260 (2009-2011) roof panel was made from carbon fiber while the S240 full-scoop roof panels were made from fiberglass. Ideally I'll find an S260 roof panel (OEM carbon fiber roof !!), but an S240 roof panel would be welcome. If anyone on TCL is skilled with searching wrecked car parts databases and has any leads on a roof panel from a wrecked 2008-2011 car, let me know!

To swap roof panels, or go for a drive with the top off, it's straightforward to remove the whole roof:

2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

7. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-01-2019 08:58 PM #81
      I'll ask my friends at Lotus and see what they say.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

05-01-2019 09:03 PM #82
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

Cars
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      05-01-2019 09:25 PM #83
      You have no friends.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-01-2019 10:15 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      You have no friends.
      False. My mom still pays for people to come over and play, and since it's been going on for so long we've made a kind of friendship out of it. They still demand payment, but they like my stuff on Facebook so that's close enough, right?

05-06-2019 11:06 PM #85
      I'm pleased to report that after nearly 200 miles driving the car, I'm nearly certain it has the OEM Lotus Stage II exhaust that fits with the stock diffuser, although I need to get under the car and check to be sure. It is loud, with a low tone and these fantastic crackles and pops on deceleration that really add to the experience. It's intoxicating. I do not remember any standard Elise sounding like this.

I brought the car to a car gathering in Phoenix over the weekend and had a good time chatting with enthusiasts about it.

2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-06-2019 11:31 PM #86
      Awesome! If it’s loud it has an exhaust. Stock they’re pretty tame.

13. Member
      Cars
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      05-08-2019 09:58 PM #87
      There is a white Alfa 4c for sale by me. I hear they are similar to the Elise with more comfortable seats. I doubt it but I do want to test drive the thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Cars
      2006 Lotus Elise, 2014 Lexus CT200h
      05-08-2019 10:55 PM #88
      I'm pleased to report that after nearly 200 miles driving the car, I'm nearly certain it has the OEM Lotus Stage II exhaust that fits with the stock diffuser, although I need to get under the car and check to be sure.
      What does the exhaust tip look like? Stock should be a big oval (and pretty quiet). I've got a stage 2 on my Elise which is pretty loud. It'll look like this with dual tips that are pretty flush with the diffuser:

They had a stage 3 muffler as well which was designed for the supercharged cars. As far as I know - it's pretty much the same as a stage 2 with a different tip. That'd look like this:

I thought the stage 2 was a bit too loud for my liking at first, but I've grown to love it.

05-08-2019 11:41 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Yavuz View Post
      What does the exhaust tip look like? Stock should be a big oval (and pretty quiet). I've got a stage 2 on my Elise which is pretty loud. It'll look like this with dual tips that are pretty flush with the diffuser:

I thought the stage 2 was a bit too loud for my liking at first, but I've grown to love it.
      This car has two tips close to the diffuser and it is loud. I've been researching the various exhaust systems Lotus offered -- I'm pretty sure this car has the stage 2, although I don't know yet for sure. Your orange Elise looks great

Quote Originally Posted by ENV² View Post
      There is a white Alfa 4c for sale by me. I hear they are similar to the Elise with more comfortable seats. I doubt it but I do want to test drive the thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      If you drive it, let us know what you think. I love the Alfa's design as well, but I'm glad I chose the Elise/Exige. From what I've read, the Alpine A110 is everything the 4C should have been.

Here is a review comparing the 4C and four-cylinder Exige:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...us-exige/29651

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonheads
      Evolutionary leap or carbon bedecked side-step? Alfa 4C meets four-cylinder Exige to find out

Comparing new to used is a classic trap. And we’d scoff at anyone who falls into it. Well, until chance paired an S2 Lotus Exige against an Alfa Romeo 4C we had in recently.
      We’ll avoid the financial considerations in this comparison and look instead at the philosophical and engineering ones. There is a new Lotus Exige you could have for similar money to the £53,470 of our Alfa test car. But that car is now a rather different proposition, and a significantly more potent one with its 350hp supercharged V6.

Instead consider this an exploration of an evolutionary step. The step where a small, lightweight sports car using a transverse front-wheel drive powertrain transplanted to a mid-mounted, rear-drive configuration attempts to prove that a ‘supercar’ need not have 500hp-plus and a six-figure price tag.

Carbon dating
      The big news here of course is Alfa Romeo offering a carbon fibre tubbed, mid-engined sports car at a price point roughly a third of what you might expect. Any fundamental similarities with the old four-cylinder Exige and Elises are suddenly eclipsed, even if the Lotus tub weighs pretty much the same and has proper double wishbone suspension bolted to it rather than the Alfa’s much discussed ‘adapted’ MacPherson strut rear set-up.

Even so it’s something of a coup, and inspires Alfa’s claim that the 4C is a genuine supercar for the modern age – light, cost effective and with performance more relevant to the public road. A genuine step on from what the Elise and Exige have offered for nearly two decades? Or marketing hype sold on the snake oil promise of carbon mysticism?

If there are compromises in engineering the 4C to its price point they’re well hidden on first encounter. Few would mistake it for a car in the league of a 458 or 12C but it’s several times more exotic than anything built on that Lotus tub, as the range of reactions (iPhones and thumbs up from the pavement, ‘coffee beans’ from passing van drivers) proves.

Old and new
      In the flesh the 4C is genuinely dramatic, a proper event car. Inside the exposed carbon sills bring the bling and distract from some cheap matt black plastics and generic Fiat switchgear. Here the Lotus scores its first hit though; it’s utterly unapologetic in its minimalism. The Alfa feels like it started along the same path before someone bottled it and threw some Alcantara and red stitching at it in an attempt to look luxurious.

It’s an illusion that doesn’t last long. In the rawness stakes the Alfa is closer to the Elise family than most of us – raised on a pre-launch diet of Cayman rivalling expectation – expected. Those upgrading from TTs or side-stepping from Porsches are in for a shock - from the first heave on the non-assisted steering wheel to the uncultured blare of the turbocharged four and choppy low-speed ride the Alfa does little to pander to the mainstream.
      But that’s a good thing for the likes of us, right?

Chest wig
      Forget the ‘now’ technology like the carbon tub, direct-injected turbo engine and dual clutch gearbox for a minute and the 4C is a bit like a re-imagination of the late 70s/early 80s Italian supercar. Think of it as a modern-day Ferrari 208 GTB Turbo perhaps. It’s a similar size and power. You sit a bit skew-whiff and the steering is really heavy at parking speeds, kicks back violently on bumpy roads and there’s a hint of menace in the on-limit behaviour that keeps your pulse rate racing.

But it’s also defiantly modern. The power delivery is very contemporary, dumping everything in your lap before the rev counter has even passed 2,000rpm; the flat tone overlayed with hissing induction and cooing dump valve for a sensation half way between a Smart Roadster and a McLaren 12C. Of course, just where the 12C would be taking off into the stratosphere the Alfa’s 240hp is starting to run out of puff. It’s deceptive – you expect it to keep pulling as hard as it does from low speeds but there’s only so far 1,742cc and four cylinders can get you.

Feedback? Fightback…
      Harris hinted at some issues with our 4C test car, an Italian market model running the optional 18/19-inch wheels and stiffer suspension included in the optional £3,000 Racing Pack. If you’re going to use your 4C on UK roads we’d advise thinking carefully before ticking that particular box, the springs and dampers nicely matched but the wheel/tyre combination seemingly resulting in significant camber sensitivity on bumpy British roads.

You may hail the idea of non-assisted steering and unadulterated feedback but careful what you wish for – the Alfa’s communication is less nuanced information about road surface and grip levels than hysterical shouting and screaming. Insert Italian national stereotyping here. It may seem petty but that (thankfully optional) steering wheel is a tactile as well as an aesthetic disaster. As your point of contact it’s an ugly metaphor for the disappointing lack of subtlety in the driving experience.

Drive the Exige along the same stretch of road and, yes, the wheel wriggles and writhes in your hand but it’s less shouting match than confidence inspiring discussion. You feel the cambers and surface changes through your palms and backside but it’s correctly pitched and never cries wolf about what's going on.

Whoosh bang
      The Alfa’s other significant problem is with the power delivery of its turbocharged engine. Everything in the Lotus is linear and predictable; talk to Lotus handling guys like Matt Becker and you'll hear them talk about balancing steering angle and roll rate to inspire confidence and on-limit transparency. The Toyota engine really has to be screaming to make any reasonable progress but that’s OK because if you’ve committed to that you’ll be primed and ready with the necessary inputs.

But as you battle the Alfa's writhing steering wheel, information about the road surface drowned out by white noise, you also have the issue of power delivery that overwhelms any sense of balance. In the Exige lock comes off as power goes in, every action having a harmoniously equal and opposite reaction. Power just builds, builds, builds all the way to an intense 8,000rpm crescendo but does so progressively. In the Alfa you try to carefully ease the throttle and it suddenly all arrives in one violently boosted dollop, which either pushes the nose wide or, in the wet, can snap the rear axle violently sideways. And at the point where the Alfa’s engine is all done the Exige is just about coming good.

There must be a sweet spot in the 4C’s cornering stance where neutrality edges into mild oversteer but the on-off power delivery means it’s devilishly hard to pinpoint and even trickier to exploit. Where the Lotus flows the 4C rages and stutters, never quite settled or comfortable. Things improve considerably on wider, smoother roads but at that point the Alfa’s relative lack of top-end performance compared with ‘proper’ supercars feels more telling. Overall it feels disappointingly heavy-handed and blunt for a car supposedly trading on its sub-tonne (dry) kerbweight and the agility that should imbue. Another reason to look forward to trying the UK press cars with the promised smaller wheels and standard suspension.

Flick of the wrist
      This far and no philosophical hand wringing about the Alfa’s paddle shift only transmission. In truth it’s a done deal and the Alfa is from the modern age where the vast majority of the target audience demand paddles. Just a shame that they’re such flimsy plastic affairs. And yet the pedals are beautifully machined aluminium, indicative of a slightly schizophrenic attention to detail.

This sounds like a comprehensive drubbing for the Alfa but it shouldn’t really be considered that. The issues described are all in the final calibration and set-up. A bit softer in springing, less rubber on the road and more in the sidewalls, a more progressive power delivery and perhaps some fettling with the steering geometry and the 4C could play much better to the strengths its stiff and light carbon foundations offer. It’s not a six-figure supercar so why play the half-price imitation?

The 4C's sense of glamour gives it an opportunity for mainstream acceptance the Exige, with its overt racer overtones, always lacked. As it stands it’s the car to be seen in and an impressive democratisation of technology previously reserved only for the elite. Shifting the supercar debate away from raw power and to performance through weight saving is also to be applauded. In many ways, yes, it moves the game on. But in terms of a great driving experience a secondhand Lotus would remain our choice for now.
      Also, something to keep in mind is the U.S.-spec 4C is a full 340 lbs heavier than the Euro-spec car in the article. It's too bad our 4C is that much heavier.

https://jalopnik.com/the-u-s-spec-al...ier-1588783354
      Last edited by Wimbledon; 05-09-2019 at 12:11 AM.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

05-22-2019 02:34 PM #90
      Lotus sent the Certificate of Provenance today. I love that Lotus provides this information:

2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

17. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-22-2019 02:39 PM #91
      Email Andy back and tell him to get Dave to give up the roof you want. Dave hit me back on Facebook to say he's looking, but then he went quiet.

05-22-2019 02:40 PM #92
      Email Andy back and tell him to get Dave to give up the roof you want. Dave hit me back on Facebook to say he's looking, but then he went quiet.
      Thanks, will do!
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

19. 05-22-2019 11:15 PM #93
      Enamored is the right word about how I feel about this car.

I've watched quite a few YouTube videos on it, so sweet

It's my jam, a small car with a peppy motor, and it's orange like my FiST

Thanks for sharing thoughts and pics OP.

Cars
      06 Accord 6-6 Coupe 83 Ascot Basketcase
      05-22-2019 11:30 PM #94
      This car has two tips close to the diffuser and it is loud. I've been researching the various exhaust systems Lotus offered -- I'm pretty sure this car has the stage 2, although I don't know yet for sure. Your orange Elise looks great
      Annoying with the Stage 2 is that the holes in the OEM diffuser had to be enlarged quite a bit to install it, and the earlier Stage 2s tended to fall apart and get loud pretty fast. I also found that the flush tips lent themselves to a bit of a drone on the highway around 60-65.

N/A Exige is something we never got up here in Canuckistan. We only got Exiges starting with S220s in 2007. Congrats on the purchase!

Cars
      2016 Mini Cooper Clubman S
      05-23-2019 04:03 PM #95
      Congratulations on the acquisition, I love the color.

22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-23-2019 04:22 PM #96
      Wow, congrats. That color is spectacular.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

06-04-2019 04:17 PM #97
      I suppose I should have expected this, but the Exige effectively replaced my TT quattro. Between the 500e and the Exige, I am simply not driving the TT anymore.

I feel I might regret this, but I am getting the TT ready for sale. If you are interested, let me know, an ad will be coming soon once I take some proper photos of the TT in the next week.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

24. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      06-04-2019 05:03 PM #98
      With the stuff in your garage and the weather where you live, that outcome is no surprise at all.

If you are interested, let me know, an ad will be coming soon once I take some proper photos of the TT in the next week.
      I know I mentioned wanting your TT - I still do, but I've decided to put future $$ towards my RV fleet instead. Best of luck with the sale!

Tom

06-04-2019 05:13 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      With the stuff in your garage and the weather where you live, that outcome is no surprise at all.

I know I mentioned wanting your TT - I still do, but I've decided to put future $$ towards my RV fleet instead. Best of luck with the sale!

Tom
      Thanks, best of luck with your RV fleet! I’m hoping the TT finds an enthusiast home.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      06-04-2019 10:07 PM #100
      Awesome.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast