VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Considering Mk. 1 TT for grown-up toy, education needed

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  g-man_ae 
#1 ·
I’ve been asking TCL for help buying a fun (not daily) car. I’m looking for something in pristine condition and unmodified, and of course manual-only. I really want more of a GT than a track star, mainly for my own driving pleasure but secondarily for short weekend trips for two with an enjoyable drive there and back. I can turn a wrench but would leave the major stuff to a good mechanic.

I’ve wanted a Mk. I TT forever. Once upon a time, I was a young, broke grad student when Audi blessed the world with the first TT :cool: In fact, here’s one in front of my alma mater in 2001.

After much researching and agonizing - and after seeing one in-the-metal today - I’ve decided I “need” (LOL) a Mk. 1 TT. I’d prefer the Roadster although a coupe would also be just fine. But I know very little about these cars, other than their A4 chassis and engine choices (1.8T or 3.2L V6).

That’s my first question: What are the pros and cons of the one motor vs. the other? I live close to sea level, so I’d get all the ponies the V6 has to offer. (Related question: To Quattro or not to Quattro?)

My tied-for-first question: What are trouble spots to look for? There’s lots of hearsay and anecdotal evidence about these being mechanic’s specials, but are they really as bad as all that?

Secondly, are there any specific model years to look for? Any to avoid?

Third, should I be wary of high-mileage TT’s? What about low-mileage ones? The TCL thread linked to an Imola Yellow 2005 coupe with under 30k miles on fleaBay.

Finally, any other catch-all buying advice? Unfortunately there aren’t any good used TT’s within 200 miles of here, so it’d be a challenge to check one out in person.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Buy 2003+ they have an updated “BEA” motor in the 225hp 1.8t. Included VVT and a few other differences.

I would say go for the 1.8t, it’s more fun, better fuel efficiency and won’t have to gamble with timing chain issues which some encounter with the 3.2. The brakes on the 3.2 are considerably worse as well. Honestly the only thing good about the 3.2 is the sound. You cannot buy a 3.2 in manual as they were only available in Europe. The DSG in the v6 is also problematic and can be costly by replacing the mechatronic unit. Remember this is the first gem DSG that VAG used.

Of course with this age, there are some common issues relating to depredation of plastic and rubber parts. For example, coolant flange, vacuum lines, turbo inlet pipe. These are all easily remedied with updated aftermarket parts which will far outlast the oem and probably the car itself.

When looking at examples, look for recent timing belt/water pump service, regular haldex differential servicing (considered a lifetime fluid by Audi, yeah right). Car will still run but the haldex/awd will not. Best to check this with VCDS software and making sure the components communicate. Accelerating hard (in the wet preferably) while having someone else watch or film can also confirm its functionality.

Vacuum lines over time degrade from the heat so this would cause boost leaks, again remedied using silicone lines instead. Same goes for oil leaks from the valve cover gasket. Again very easy and inexpensive to fix.

On the interior, the cluster is very delicate and tends to fail over the years. Make sure you find one where the pixels are not fading and the fuel/coolant gauges operate accurately. Mine is still perfect and it’s an 03, so not all are effected.

Glovebox latch tends to snap off if pulled too hard/pulled when it’s locked.

Earlier examples pre 2002 had corrosion issues around the bottom of the fenders/side skirts as well as the aluminum roof rails.

Hope this helps.

Here’s a photo of mine, fitted with the OEM votex side skirts, rear spoiler, 3.2 rear valence and v6 front bumper. Has been proven to be loads of fun and extremely reliable after the common age related problem areas were taken care of. These cars are very budget friendly and will not cost you an arm and a leg to maintain.
Love every minute of driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Also, read the FAQ at the top of this forum

Don't know how much you want to spend but the Mk 2 2008+ is more reliable and handles far better than the Mk 1 but the Mk 1 looks better IMO. Read the FAQ at the top of the Mk 2 forum if you decide to go that direction.

#4 ·
Appreciate the info so far :screwy:

The fact that the 3.2L is DSG-only is all the reason I need to get a 1.8T. This has to be a manual or no sale.

I forgot the 1.8T’s were upgraded to 225hp. That also helps a lot to narrow my search (in terms of MY).

I hear ya on the Mk. 2’s being more reliable, but it’s the Mk. 1 that I’ve wanted forever.

Too bad the convertible tops are problematic. I prefer the Roadster, although I love the Coupe too.

#5 ·
I've had 2 Mk 1 roadsters with no top issues

The most common problem that is easily fixed is the latch not mating correctly with the "top indicator light" switch in the windshield. A few folks have had issues with older roadsters having the rear glass separate but hand washing will likely minimize that problem.

The 225 was available for all Mk 1 MY roadsters. The 2006 roadster is the scarcest because it was not offered for sale in CA and overall production was small due to the Mk 2 changeover.
We see lots of Mk 1 roadsters at TT West every year and only 1 ever had a top problem that was easily fixed. Don't know how this influences you, but the 180 HP roadster has a far larger trunk than the 225 if you want to take your TT on long trips. A flat tire will not fit in the trunk of a 225 but does fit in a 180. So you have to let it hang out of the trunk or let the passenger hold it in their lap.

#6 · (Edited)
This is turning out to be a PITA. There aren’t any (Roadster, 225hp, manual) for sale within 200 miles of home. Looking nationwide, I found three that were initially promising, but are all questionable upon inspection.

has failed emissions inspections multiple times

has been in a wreck; also needs new instrument cluster (will knock $2000 of asking price)

several Google Reviews claim no-haggle pricing and bait-n-switch sales tactics

I think I need to punt on this automotive dream of mine :(

PS: I did post a “WTB” thread, but the TT Classifieds forum seems to get little attention.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9309423-WTB-1-8T-225HP-Manual-Pristine-Stock

#10 ·
Patience Grasshopper

One of our TT West regulars shopped for 6 months before he found his new to him Mk 1, a clean one owner 2
Lake Silver roadster with 70K miles. He found his on Autotempest

#8 · (Edited)
So help me Gawd, I tried Craigslist...

https://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/d/cullman-2002-audi-tt-convertible/6871454210.html

The front bumper is scraped and needs a re-spray. Clearly needs a new instrument cluster. Probably needs reupholstering, the driver’s seat looks rough, and is that a tear in the passenger seat bottom? Headlights need reconditioning if not replacement. I’m suspicious of the “new radio.” I’ll have to see service records, especially for the supposed new soft top. 84K miles and already a new alternator :confused: Also missing a center cap on one wheel.

IMO it needs a lot of TLC, but at this price, it might work.

Any other red flags? This is just 90 minutes away, but I’m not going if it isn’t worth it.

#9 · (Edited)
Soft top does look new, I wonder who installed it because if it was the dealer it would he $$$$

I’d say a solid 80% of these clusters go one way or another. Not the biggest deal with a fading read out, can be fixed for $200ish. Just do your research and find someone familiar with TT clusters.
Some TT clusters go bonkers and give false fuel or coolant readings. I’ve seen ones where the tach completely stops working too, so keep that in mind.

Continental tires suggests owner wasn’t cheap.

Lack of timing belt history. Should be changed every 5years even if it’s been less than 90k.

No mention of Haldex Service.

Battery Cover missing (about 50% are)

Leather doesn’t look that bad, may just need a good clean.

Headlights can be restored

Other than that, some of the hoses like the turbo inlet pipe off the air box would be the first thing to change, other than that looks like a clean example.

Ask him to send the service history over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The TT is a great bang for the buck car, I bought one a few years back and used it as a daily driver for awhile. I still have it and being a convertible only comes out in the summer months. But I owned it over several harsh winters with no garage. It held up well with no leaks inside. I do have a car cover for it and now it has a plush life in the garage. But I still love it and you really can't go wrong being one. Mine is a 225Q 1.8T model with the 6 speed and I find myself short shifting and jumping gears often but I love the boost and feel it offers. It feels faster than it is but does have a harsh ride compared to my new daily driver (Audi A6). My wheels where changed by the previous owner to 18" and I have done a few things to it:
Vented/drilled brake upgrade
Boost gauge in center vent
Stereo upgrade (The stock Bose is horrible) and due to the age of the car has no bluetooth or streaming abilities.
Added an additional rear wing lip on the stick wing, I think it just looks better.

Maintenance wise, Changed the oil (Always used Mobile One) and this car is a pain to do because of the oil filter location, but it's not horrible. Had a misfire problem which is quite common and replaced my coilpacks (twice) ones with OEM ones that were bad right out of the box and then to the updated RS style with the nice looking adapters.

My 2001 has 110k miles on it and runs great. The 3.2 would be nice if only they would have offered a manual. I have the 3.2 in my A6 and I'm not sure if it is the same motor but it's not without it's issues, cam tensioner issues.

#15 ·
Couldn't make it down to Cullman this week, Ive been in training at work. Would like to go this weekend but it's going to be rainy/stormy, i.e. poor conditions for any test drive let alone a convertible. Hopefully it's still there next weekend (assuming the weather cooperates).

Otherwise, we'll see about that one up in Chicago if it's still there. A gear-head buddy of mine visits there often and will be there next month.

But first, I need to see what's going on with the brakes on my wife's Beetle. If I have to buy her a new car (or give her mine and get a new daily for myself), then the TT plans are on indefinite hold :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.