Fourtitude.com - Amazon Looks to Slave Labor For One Day Delivery Promise
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 05-01-2019 10:55 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Okay Captain Semantics. If one of the most valuable and hard-to-replace things I owned (the S2000) didn't spend a lot of time in my garage, I'd have no problem locking the door into my house and giving Amazon access to the garage. What are you going to steal, an old ratchet or a Cozy Coupe?
      Here's the concept you're not grasping: You might be fine with it. You might be okay with letting someone in. You might be fine with someone stealing something of yours. I'm not.

This isn't arguing semantics. This isn't spitballing. This is me using my personal experiences from my past to make decisions regarding my present. I don't care who it is or who they work for. If I don't know you, I don't want you in my house while I'm not there.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Picard, Hide and Q
      What he might say with irony, I say with conviction. What a piece of work is man, How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-01-2019 10:56 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by ForTheWin View Post
      If I don't know you, I don't want you in my house while I'm not there.
      It's just a house.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      05-01-2019 11:00 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      It's just a car.
      Nah. The Jeep is just a car, I could go get a better one (Rubicon!) tomorrow.

I can't get another S2000 that I know the complete history of tomorrow. And likely it would be hard to replace for the insurance money I'd receive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

5. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-01-2019 11:02 AM #79
      Nah. The Jeep is just a car, I could go get a better one (Rubicon!) tomorrow.

I can't get another S2000 that I know the complete history of tomorrow. And likely it would be hard to replace for the insurance money I'd receive.
      Still just a car. Just like my toolbox in my garage that I have $45k in tools is just a toolbox.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      05-01-2019 11:05 AM #80
      Here's the concept you're not grasping: You might be fine with it. You might be okay with letting someone in. You might be fine with someone stealing something of yours. I'm not.

This isn't arguing semantics. This isn't spitballing. This is me using my personal experiences from my past to make decisions regarding my present. I don't care who it is or who they work for. If I don't know you, I don't want you in my house while I'm not there.
      Yeah dude, your personal hangups are fine, but that doesn't change that you can often section things off. Giving someone access to say, a front porch is different than access to an entire house, even if your personal inner control freak doesn't like it.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

7. 05-01-2019 11:05 AM #81
      It's just a house.
      It is just a house. But it's not the house I'm worried about. It's what's inside. When you have to deal with a break in that ends with you finding out your family photo album was stolen, you'll understand. No monetary value there. Probably ended up thrown out when they saw what it was. But it was stolen nonetheless. It was worth something to me. Pictures of my grandparents and great-grandparents. Pictures of my family and I when I was younger. Sentimental value. Memories. Once in a lifetime moments that were taken and can't ever be recovered.

So like I said, it's your prerogative to let them in. And it's mine to not.
      What he might say with irony, I say with conviction. What a piece of work is man, How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god!

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      05-01-2019 11:08 AM #82
      Still just a car. Just like my toolbox in my garage that I have $45k in tools is just a toolbox.
      It is just a car, but it has intrinsic value and is irreplaceable. Like, yeah, your toolbox is expensive, but you could go buy more tools. But if you had your grandpa's hammer or something that he handed down to you after you spent years working with and learning from him, you can't go buy another one of your grandpa's hammer.

9. 05-01-2019 11:10 AM #83
      Yeah dude, your personal hangups are fine, but that doesn't change that you can often section things off. Giving someone access to say, a front porch is different than access to an entire house, even if your personal inner control freak doesn't like it.
      I like how this has become a discussion about how I'm wrong for not agreeing with the rest of you. I've even said I get why y'all see that it's okay. But somehow you can't see "my personal hangups" or "my inner control freak" , or the fact that I've mentioned having to deal with break ins in the past as okay. Your home, your rules. You want to do it, go right ahead. But don't sit here and patronize me for having a difference of opinion on the matter.

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-01-2019 11:24 AM #84
      It is just a house..
      I was being sarcastic with you. I won't let anyone in my house for the sake of convenience.

11. 05-01-2019 11:31 AM #85
      I was being sarcastic with you. I won't let anyone in my house for the sake of convenience.
      My bad. It's hard to tell sarcasm in text sometimes, especially when someone else is making light of your reasoning for not wanting to let strangers in.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-01-2019 11:34 AM #86
      Wanna know how I know you've never had to deal with a robbery, or filing an insurance claim due to one?
      You'd be wrong.

First time I was robbed at gunpoint by someone who had broken into my home while I was sleeping. (Little Rock)

Second time I came home from visiting family three hours away to my front door wide open, TV, appliances, dishes, all missing. (Also Little Rock)

If it happened again while I was home things would turn out much different. At the time I was not armed.

If it happens again while I'm not home, I'll likely just make another insurance claim. Like I said, life goes on. I don't get excited about stuff like that. It's just stuff, if someone wants it more than me they can have it. Insurance will buy me more.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

13. 05-01-2019 11:55 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You'd be wrong.

First time I was robbed at gunpoint by someone who had broken into my home while I was sleeping. (Little Rock)

Second time I came home from visiting family three hours away to my front door wide open, TV, appliances, dishes, all missing. (Also Little Rock)

If it happened again while I was home things would turn out much different. At the time I was not armed.

If it happens again while I'm not home, I'll likely just make another insurance claim. Like I said, life goes on. I don't get excited about stuff like that. It's just stuff, if someone wants it more than me they can have it. Insurance will buy me more.
      Then I must apologize for making an assumption. Although, it does sound like your experience dealing with insurance was far better than mine. And like I mentioned a few posts before, not everything stolen can be replaced. The TV and other electronics, sure. It sucks, but they're not important. The family photo album was, and nothing can be done to replace it.

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      05-01-2019 11:59 AM #88
      I think what we're seeing is a variation of the argument I see all of the time between convertible owners.

There are some convertible owners who say "never lock you car, thieves will slit your roof to get in, better they can just get in on their own and take what they want (should be nothing in there) and they won't slit your top."

Then there are other convertible owners, myself included, who say "I don't have people in my area going around slitting tops, but I do have people who will help themselves to stuff in an unlocked car so I lock it to prevent those who are prone to crimes of opportunity."

There's not really a wrong answer. Some people don't want their packages laying out because they think people will grab them off the porch, better to have them inside where you have to make a conscious effort to break in. Others would rather lose a package outside and keep their home secure.

In my area, we don't have "sophisticated criminals". We are a very low-crime area. So I don't worry about Amazon delivery guys and such going into my house and stealing my ****. But I would be wary of package theft because it's fast and easy. Fortunately, I don't order much expensive stuff that is worth stealing, but if I did, I wouldn't mind Amazon sticking it inside the door. I have Ring cameras all around outside, I could plainly see if they abused it.
      I'd say we are seeing the same debate that goes on when it comes to dog walkers.

I bet the same fear were tossed out when dog walkers first became a 'thing' and gained access to apartments and house keys. This in home delivery isn't anything new or ground breaking when it comes to providing access to strangers.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-01-2019 12:00 PM #89
      I've been robbed at gunpoint before. Carried a firearm for years afterwards until we sold the stores and there was no reason to fend off cash-grabbing criminals before/after closing when we were the most vulnerable.

I still have it, but I don't carry it anymore because I don't think Jeff Bezos would waste his time trying to break into my house to take my packages If he wanted to steal them, he could just withhold it, send me a notification that it was delivered, and make me fight UPS for it.

He's pretty clever.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-01-2019 12:29 PM #90
      One of the home builders we looked at last year was really heavily invested in Amazon/Alexa integration for home automation. They were also offering a “delivery room” you could add to the house that would be for delivery access from Amazon. It was specifically for the grocery delivery service Amazon were offering (there was a fridge in the room) but also would have worked for this. So amazon could deliver to a secure room in your home (and unload your grocery order) without entering your main house/living space. It was essentially a fancy extra mudroom.

A few months after we saw it Amazon cancelled the food delivery service in our area, lol.
      iain

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      05-01-2019 12:44 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I'd say we are seeing the same debate that goes on when it comes to dog walkers.

I bet the same fear were tossed out when dog walkers first became a 'thing' and gained access to apartments and house keys. This in home delivery isn't anything new or ground breaking when it comes to providing access to strangers.
      At this point there are so many people who have access to my house it’s silly.

Cleaning lady
      Former dog walking company
      Former nanny
      In-laws
      Parents
      Random neighbors
      Plumber I have over occasionally
      I’m sure there have been others.

18. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Cars
      17 Chevy SS
      05-01-2019 12:45 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      he could just withhold it, send me a notification that it was delivered, and make me fight UPS for it.

Ocean’s 47
      We can not be trusted.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-01-2019 12:55 PM #93
      I don't think Jeff Bezos would waste his time trying to break into my house to take my packages If he wanted to steal them, he could just withhold it, send me a notification that it was delivered, and make me fight UPS for it.

He's pretty clever.
      iain

20. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Cars
      337 GTI
      05-01-2019 01:05 PM #94
      It's just an emotional connection.
      ftfy

Honestly, without cameras, I wouldn't be as keen on letting rando delivery people in,
      but if I chucked a few hundred towards interior and exterior, I'd be much more content.

Then again, how many people do you suspect would risk their asses for a few goodies?
      I doubt too many...
      Although your area of living matters, obviously
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
      "Seriously? Are we not doing phrasing anymore?"
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "Triple Dog Dare You" has been replaced with "I'm going to butt-f**k your mom right in the ass cooch."
      Because kids are dumb.

21. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-01-2019 01:11 PM #95
      At this point there are so many people who have access to my house it’s silly.

Cleaning lady
      Former dog walking company
      Former nanny
      In-laws
      Parents
      Random neighbors
      Plumber I have over occasionally
      I’m sure there have been others.
      At our last house we had a remote keypad to open the garage door from the outside. My parents could never remember the code, so I printed it on a label and stuck it next to the keypad.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

22. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw
      05-01-2019 03:37 PM #96
      Ban GHB
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

23. Member
      Cars
      04 GTI, 03 E46, 17 Cross Trek
      05-02-2019 12:27 AM #97
      What do you all buy on Amazon that neccessitates one day delivery? No one buys groceries and toilet paper on the way home??
      Declaring yourself to be a chicken does not make you a chicken - Ben Shapiro

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-02-2019 05:45 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      What do you all buy on Amazon that necessitates one day delivery? No one buys groceries and toilet paper on the way home??
      Every once in a while it's nice. Next day dryer heating element, yes please. That electronic switch/relay/fuse holder I just realized I didn't have for a project that I wanted to finish this weekend? If course.

For everything else, we're just lazy. Amazon raised our expectation of delivery time, and we all will expect nothing less. I don't need those fridge water filters tomorrow, the red light has been on for a monthk, but what to I do when I order them *click* two day delivery. I WANT IT NOW.

What do I do when I order a new motorcycle helmet and they say "expected delivery 5-7 days?" I sigh and say, "Ugh, this is bulls***" I don't NEED the helmet tomorrow, I have like, four of them. I WANT a new one, and I want it NOW.

Amazon has trained us to not think as far ahead as we used to. We often wait until Tues or Wed to order something we need for the weekend, and we get pissed off and blame Amazon if it doesn't get here on time.

This is all Amazon's fault. I used to go to the store with plenty of time to spare.

25. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-02-2019 06:49 AM #99
      This is all Amazon's fault.
      100%. It wouldn't have anything to do with how stupid human beings are.

Cars
      2017 GTI
      05-02-2019 07:11 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Ziemniak View Post
      Then again, how many people do you suspect would risk their asses for a few goodies?
      I doubt too many...
      Although your area of living matters, obviously
      enough to make me paranoid....and why rob poor people in crappy neighborhoods?

I am lucky that often I can have them deliver to work (in Winter UPS refuses to deliver to my house. my driveway can often pass for a luge run)
      Creature of Bad Habits

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast