VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Crank, no start no spark....

783 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TheDeckMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Allllright. I'm growing weary of this troubleshooting process and hope that someone can help me sort this car out.

Car: 2001 Audi TT 225Q

Engine Code: AMU

History of Problem: After letting the car sit for a long time (like almost 2 years) I decided to give her some TLC, I missed driving her. Put a new battery in, changed the oil, installed a long-needed boost gauge, installed a long-wanted HPA Touch Motion Haldex controller. Finally got the 3" exhaust extended from the cat back. I was loving the ride again, had it inspected (passed with flying colors...under the table) and got it insured and registered again. Driving great, had a few 20+ miles drives out to the county and back. One night I got back from a test drive after installing R8 coils and adapters and I parked it. Next day I'm ready to take my wife out in it and it won't crank. So we take another car out to dinner and come back a little later. When we got back I thought I would try to crank the TT up again just for S&G's. On the first turn over it burbled and died. On second crank it started up. I drove it around the block and came back to the house. Turned it off and tried to start it again...it cranked right up. I figured it may have been the new coils asking for too much power and the old wires not being able to handle it. The next day I cranked it up, it was slow to start, but I got it running.

Problem solving steps: My first order of business, I installed a new ignition coil wiring loom all the way back to the ECU. After that I tried to start it up...I was getting one cylinder firing but it wouldn't start. Looked around the engine bay, checking my wiring to make sure I had everything where it was supposed to go. Tried to crank it up again...it started, but was running on cylinders 1 & 4 only. 2 & 3 weren't doing ****. Checked spark. All 4 cylinders were getting spark. I checked wiring again. Nothing wrong according to the wiring instructions. Again for S&G's I decided to switch the signal wires for cylinders 2 & 3 where I had them spliced into the ECU plug. Put it back together and cranked it over...it started up firing on all cylinders. It didn't run well though, it did the quick up and down idling, partial throttle would bog it and more throttle would bring it out of the bog. The next day I go out to put it back together and take it for a drive. It won't start...it cranks and cranks but won't start. Replaced fuel pump relay because I couldn't hear a click when I turned the key and I had some stored codes for injector ground faults. Checked the spark, now none of the cylinders are getting spark. Checked all ignition timing fuses inside the drivers side door panel, everything is good. Replaced the camshaft position sensor and replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Still won't start. I'm not certain what else it could be. I'm growing tired of the failed troubleshooting attempts. Can someone please help me know where to go from here? Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.