Fourtitude.com - Hyundai exec confirms Sonata "N" coming in 2020, will be the second model in N lineup...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. 12-12-2019 10:14 AM #51

Shut up and take my money.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-12-2019 10:50 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      It wouldn't be the first time that something which sounds good on paper doesn't live up to the hype. All I see are words at this point. We'll have to see exactly sporty the car actually is once people can get behind the wheel. I have sport seats in my jeep and in my M3. Which one do you think is actually sporty?
      If Hyundai gets it even close as right as they got the VN, it should be a hit.

Let's face it, Jeep has never demonstrated an ability to design a sport seat that was sporty. Hyundai seems to be on a worldwide roll with their N series.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      12-12-2019 11:04 AM #53
      It wouldn't be the first time that something which sounds good on paper doesn't live up to the hype. All I see are words at this point. We'll have to see exactly sporty the car actually is once people can get behind the wheel. I have sport seats in my jeep and in my M3. Which one do you think is actually sporty?
      The Veloster N is pretty much the affordable hot hatch winner these days. Everyone seems to be raving about it, so I doubt this is going to be a dud. We will see, as you say. But looking at that picture I see N, not N-line. I might be wrong.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-12-2019 12:15 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      The Veloster N is pretty much the affordable hot hatch winner these days. Everyone seems to be raving about it, so I doubt this is going to be a dud. We will see, as you say. But looking at that picture I see N, not N-line. I might be wrong.
      Yeah, the Veloster N definitely seems like a hit from a dynamics perspective. Still though, hyundai is not known for their chassis tuning. The next few cars they release with sporting intentions will be really important for solidifying any sporting reputation. Regarding N vs N sport, we're seeing different images. The spy photos posted earlier show N-sport. Some of what I'm guessing are renders (not sure of the age or their source) show a full N car. Only time will tell on all fronts. I'd love nothing more than for hyundai to take over the dynamics crown from offerings like the mazda 6 or honda accord. In my experience, dynamics is really the weak point for about 95% of hyundai/kia products.

6. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      12-12-2019 12:53 PM #55
      Yeah, the Veloster N definitely seems like a hit from a dynamics perspective. Still though, hyundai is not known for their chassis tuning.
      C/D's comparison review seemed to concur that the standard Sonata has poor chassis tuning. A shame given how good some of the competition is now (even the current Camry is surprisingly good).

7. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-12-2019 01:55 PM #56
      We will have to see how they tune the steering feel as well. I finally sold my Optima this weekend. Driving it back to back with the TLX... there is a huge dynamic gulf.

I still think this thing is gonna be more of an Avalon TRD "fighter" than a legitimately fun car to drive. If it had an LSD they probably would have mentioned it. And even with one it's still kind of a boat.

They need to right size the Elantra and put the sporty developmental focus there. Next gen needs to be a half size bigger like the Civic and previous Corolla.

8. 12-13-2019 01:43 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post

Shut up and take my money.
      Unfortunately, the N-Line shares the cat-fish grille w/ the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      If Hyundai gets it even close as right as they got the VN, it should be a hit.
      The drives of the early prototype have been pretty positive, but the N-Line is not going to be as hardcore/track-ready as the Veloster N.

A good portion of buyers who move up the sporty trim do so b/c of the cosmetic enhancements, but in this case, the base NA 2.5L variant has the more appealing look.

Yeah, the Veloster N definitely seems like a hit from a dynamics perspective. Still though, hyundai is not known for their chassis tuning. The next few cars they release with sporting intentions will be really important for solidifying any sporting reputation. Regarding N vs N sport, we're seeing different images. The spy photos posted earlier show N-sport. Some of what I'm guessing are renders (not sure of the age or their source) show a full N car. Only time will tell on all fronts. I'd love nothing more than for hyundai to take over the dynamics crown from offerings like the mazda 6 or honda accord. In my experience, dynamics is really the weak point for about 95% of hyundai/kia products.
      Think Biermann and his team know how to do chassis tuning; as does Hyundai's tuner for the Aussie market.

Hyundai's US tuning operation, not so sure of (seem to be hit and miss - for example, the Palisade has gotten high marks for its ride).

That being said, would wait until reviewers get their hands on a tester for more than the day that they had when Hyundai flew them out to AZ.

But in those first drive reviews, didn't see complaints about the ride over rough pavement like for C/D.

Only N-Line, no N for the Sonata, but reportedly work is being done for N variants of the Kona and Tucson (rumor is around 340 HP for the Tucson-N).

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      C/D's comparison review seemed to concur that the standard Sonata has poor chassis tuning. A shame given how good some of the competition is now (even the current Camry is surprisingly good).
      See above.

And whatever the case may be, if needed, they'll make changes.

They already made changes for the i30N, changing the front suspension (to make it same as for the i30 Fastback N) - which gives it a more compliant ride in N setting.
      Last edited by CP1; 12-13-2019 at 01:48 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-13-2019 09:09 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      Think Biermann and his team know how to do chassis tuning; as does Hyundai's tuner for the Aussie market.
      As you said---we'll have to see, won't we. Being an N-line product, it's unlikely to have the same extent of tuning as a full N product. And if the C&D report of the basic Sonata is to be trusted, it will be interesting to see how much better the sonata can actually be made. I've been hearing rumors of a high hp tucson for years---hopefully they bring something to market. No reason why only the Sportage should be offered in higher hp versions. I'm seriously considering going electric when its time to replace our Tucson, but an N version with 300ish hp could change my mind.

10. Member
      Cars
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      12-13-2019 11:11 AM #59
      The mk7 GTI/GLI engine power is underrated from the factory, and puts about the same power to the ground as an ST.

The N is faster on a race course than the GTI, GLI and R because VW is so conservative with the suspension in the US.

Add some negative camber up front and a rear sway to any of the 3 VW's with same tire as N and they'll all keep up just fine.
      Magazine racing aside, in the real world the MK7's have serious issues that limit their ability on track. Google "MK7 Oil Starvation" or "MK7 GTI smoke on track" and you'll see a huge widespread issue. Basically all of the MQB 2.0T Gen3 TSI cars will accumulate a large amount of oil in the front of the cylinder head during high G braking on-track. This forces the oil to escape through the rocker cover breather ports that creates a smokescreen like below seen below. I remember being on track with a student when we got black flagged for the same issue (it was bad enough that we were blinding other drivers). He had a stock MK7 w/ PP with RE71R's and brake fluid.

This can eventually lead to oil starvation and later engine failures due to poor lubrication of the rotating assembly. You can read more about the issue here: https://www.racingline.com/single-po...TION-NO-THANKS

There's a few companies that have solutions for the issue and they are even seen being used on the GTI TCR race cars from VW. But yeah, at least from the factory MK7's need some aftermarket parts to be tracked at advanced/instructor level pace safely. So far, this doesn't seem to be the case with the VN. It seems like you can beat the **** out of it all day with no issues. So honestly when you're looking for hatchbacks that can "do it all" from the factory, it seems that the VN is your only option.
      Last edited by Goingnowherefast; 12-13-2019 at 11:13 AM.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

11. 12-17-2019 10:18 PM #60
      Seems to be hit or miss on cars smoking under braking. Neither my 18 S or 19 Rabbit have smoked at all under braking with RE71R's at over 1G of braking. Others have had the same experience I have, others have had terrible issues with smoking under braking. .

So yes, seems to be an inherent issue, but not all cars are suffering from issues. Maybe it's track dependent?

I could see how breaking at the bottom of a hill would be an issue, like maybe Laguna Seca or Sears Point, or whatever they're called today.

Cars
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
      12-17-2019 10:52 PM #61
      Thought it was a Jag at first.

Even with the giant hyundai badge at the front?
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed
      Acura MDX

Gone but not forgotten: '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '00 Mustang GT 5MT | and a bunch of Maximas and other cars...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123