Fourtitude.com - Hyundai exec confirms Sonata "N" coming in 2020, will be the second model in N lineup...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      12-04-2019 01:14 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      I am the only one seeing the elephant in the room?

Why no Genesis coupe N?
      Is there still a Genesis Coupe?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-04-2019 01:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      If this is a proper N and not a sports appearance package, then Hyundai has my full attention.
      It's not... open diff FWD with an auto box. But likely a stiff suspension with expensive tires and brakes. The worst of both worlds.

4. 12-04-2019 02:15 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Not since MY 2016.

Cars
      2017 A5
      12-04-2019 03:20 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Well...there's gon' b a "N-line" instead of bonafide "N". Oh well, at least it will have 300-ish horsepower.

Look ma! N-seats for the Sonata!
      I'mmmmmmm still interested
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, Audi e-Tron, and a Toyota Appiiance
      12-04-2019 03:51 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      If this is a proper N and not a sports appearance package, then Hyundai has my full attention.
      Rumor is that it will have at least 300 plus horsepower. But it all depends whether or not Herr Biermann does his suspension trickery or not.

I'd hate to see Hyundai turn Sonata N into Sonata TRD.

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Cars
      12-04-2019 03:55 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      No, but there's a Cargo N passenger van.

Cars
      12-05-2019 10:26 AM #32
      Genesis G70 getting the Sonanat N-Line engine in 2021:

•This new engine will likely make around the same 290 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque as it does in the Hyundai Sonata N-Line.
      •Genesis says to expect a mid-cycle facelift for the G70 within the next few years, and we think this new engine will be part of that.

Hyundai let slip to C/D that its new turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-four from the Sonata N-Line will eventually make its way into the Genesis G70 sports sedan. This engine will replace the current G70 2.0-liter turbo-four, which serves as the base engine and sits under the more powerful twin-turbo 3.3-liter V-6 in the lineup. The engine transplant is likely to be part of the G70's mid-cycle facelift, which should come either for the 2021 or 2022 model year.

The new engine should provide a significant power boost for the four-cylinder G70, as 2.5T engine makes 290 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque in the Sonata, improvements of 38 hp and 50 lb-ft over the current 2.0T. But the bad news is that it might mean the end of the G70 2.0T's available six-speed manual transmission, as the 2.5T in the Sonata mates only with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Genesis says the manual has accounted for only around 4 percent of G70 2.0T sales in the U.S. so far, so we wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped from the lineup when this new engine arrives.

Expect to hear more official information about the G70's new powertrain sometime next year as we get closer to the launch of the updated model, which is also likely to benefit from tweaked styling and new technology features.
      https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...70-new-engine/

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      12-10-2019 10:20 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'll believe it when I see it. While I love that the Veloster has been given a fairly aggressive chassis tune for the N version, no one has also said that it's killing the competition. The thing is, the no one cares about performance versions of family sedans any longer. As long as it looks sporty and has some go, literally no one is going to care. Why do you think BMW has been watering down successive generations of 3 series cars? Not to mention, Hyundai has literally no history of chassis tuning excellence. Bierman can only do so much and certainly a lot of his ability to be successful is based on the underlying goodness of the platform he's given to tune and the budget to do so.

So yeah, just because you have a big name behind the scenes, if the rest of the company isn't going to set him to be successful, who cares? I see this being perhaps a little better than something like a Camry SE, but "killing the competition" would be a hollow victory. So yeah, I simply don't see this car really killing anything. Mark my words, it will be generally like an Accord Sport or Camry SE.
      So I guess the Veloster N was more than what we expected. Performance-wise it is killing the GTI. Maybe even beating the Golf R.

My guess now is that the Sonata N will thrash the Civic Si sedan and GLI.

VW decided to play it safe with an under-powered, unreliable 2.0T engine. Yes, the interiors are way better, bet around a track or on a canyon road...
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      12-10-2019 10:38 AM #34
      We just purchased a 2020 Sonata Limited with the 1.6T and I'm pretty impressed with how much better it is than the 2.5 that we had in our 2015. The low end torque really helps when accelerating and the drive feel is much more secure feeling.

Saying that Hyundai needs to learn that you really shouldn't remove features from a model. The 2015 had heated rear seats and and a 6 way powered passenger seat which seems to be missing from the new model. Luckily we don't use it as the family car very often or we wouldn't have purchased it.

I was willing to wait for the N but my wife wasn't willing to wait and this is the first car she has wanted to buy rather than driving her car into the ground and just trying to find something she is okay with.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

12-10-2019 10:44 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      So I guess the Veloster N was more than what we expected. Performance-wise it is killing the GTI. Maybe even beating the Golf R.

VW decided to play it safe with an under-powered, unreliable 2.0T engine. Yes, the interiors are way better, bet around a track or on a canyon road...
      Remember that the Sonata is a much bigger car than those two. This is more of a Fusion Sport and Camry TRD competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      We just purchased a 2020 Sonata Limited with the 1.6T and I'm pretty impressed with how much better it is than the 2.5 that we had in our 2015. The low end torque really helps when accelerating and the drive feel is much more secure feeling.

Saying that Hyundai needs to learn that you really shouldn't remove features from a model. The 2015 had heated rear seats and and a 6 way powered passenger seat which seems to be missing from the new model. Luckily we don't use it as the family car very often or we wouldn't have purchased it.

I was willing to wait for the N but my wife wasn't willing to wait and this is the first car she has wanted to buy rather than driving her car into the ground and just trying to find something she is okay with.
      Hyundai/Kia seem to be steadily removing features available in Korea as they spend more money on the chassis. Gotta make a profit somehow I suppose.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-10-2019 11:13 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post

I would agree with your comment on the Veloster R.

The Sonata N? No dice. First off, the sonata competes with the Camry, Passat, Accord, not the cars you mentioned. Secondly, it would appear that the Sonata will be an N-Line product, not a full N car. So, that's not very assuring that we'll get a real high performance mid-sizer. This will be just another car with a more aggressive look and slightly stiffer suspension. I'd like to see a full Sonata-N however. I think I'd still, however, choose a Camry V6 out of any of the midsizers if I had to buy a sporty-ish midsized sedan over the next 2-3 yrs.

13. 12-10-2019 11:32 AM #37
      The mk7 GTI/GLI engine power is underrated from the factory, and puts about the same power to the ground as an ST.

The N is faster on a race course than the GTI, GLI and R because VW is so conservative with the suspension in the US.

Add some negative camber up front and a rear sway to any of the 3 VW's with same tire as N and they'll all keep up just fine.

The N is an awesome car and they did a great job tuning suspension, alignment, exhaust and engine to be aggressive. VW knows how to do the same, see CSS, but they choose to ignore NA and give us a swiss army knife instead of a scalpel.

I'd also hold off on saying the N's engine is more reliable than the VW 2.0T yet. Honestly, we just don't know at this point. Could very well be, but I don't think Hyundai's 4 cylinde turbos have been trouble free.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Silver_arrow12!; 12-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.

12-10-2019 11:38 AM #38
      I would agree with your comment on the Veloster R.

The Sonata N? No dice. First off, the sonata competes with the Camry, Passat, Accord, not the cars you mentioned. Secondly, it would appear that the Sonata will be an N-Line product, not a full N car. So, that's not very assuring that we'll get a real high performance mid-sizer. This will be just another car with a more aggressive look and slightly stiffer suspension. I'd like to see a full Sonata-N however. I think I'd still, however, choose a Camry V6 out of any of the midsizers if I had to buy a sporty-ish midsized sedan over the next 2-3 yrs.
      The n is basically their intro of the 2.0t versus the 1.6t in the non n. Yeah it'll have some suspension and appearance upgrades, but it isn't anything to blow you out of the water. At first I was surprised they didn't have a 2.0t in the sonata considering all the competition does have that or greater (save the Camry which has the v6).

Malibu 2.0t
      Fusion 2.0t
      Passat 2.0t
      Altima 2.0t
      Accord 2.0t
      Optima 2.0t
      Legacy 2.4t
      Mazda6 2.5t
      Camry V6

Blog Entries
      Cars
      12-10-2019 11:43 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      The n is basically their intro of the 2.0t versus the 1.6t in the non n. Yeah it'll have some suspension and appearance upgrades, but it isn't anything to blow you out of the water. At first I was surprised they didn't have a 2.0t in the sonata considering all the competition does have that or greater (save the Camry which has the v6).
      It's not really their introduction, they've been doing 2.0t engines in sonatas almost as long as everyone else. But it's how they're labeling it---taking a page from BMW and Mercedes with their AMG/M-lite badging for their 6-cyl turbo offerings. And that's fine. But the headline was initially an "N" version of the sonata, not "N-line" version. That would be a bold move in the class---N-lite is merely keeping up with the Jones'.

Cars
      12-10-2019 12:59 PM #40

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-10-2019 01:08 PM #41

Malibu 2.0t
      Fusion 2.0t
      Passat 2.0t
      Altima 2.0t
      Accord 2.0t
      Optima 2.0t
      Legacy 2.4t
      Mazda6 2.5t
      Camry V6
      It's not really their introduction, they've been doing 2.0t engines in sonatas almost as long as everyone else. But it's how they're labeling it---taking a page from BMW and Mercedes with their AMG/M-lite badging for their 6-cyl turbo offerings. And that's fine. But the headline was initially an "N" version of the sonata, not "N-line" version. That would be a bold move in the class---N-lite is merely keeping up with the Jones'.
      2.5T* + a DCT transmission.

I've a feeling this will be more like a GLI+. Aside from the Accord, all the models you listed above are merely just a big motor with no other performance changes.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 12-10-2019 at 01:16 PM.

12-10-2019 01:16 PM #42

Malibu 2.0t

Fusion 2.0t

Passat 2.0t

Altima 2.0t

Accord 2.0t

Optima 2.0t

Legacy 2.4t

Mazda6 2.5t

Camry V6
      It's a 2.5T and comes with an 8 speed wet dual clutch transmission, sport seats, different suspension tuning, and larger wheels/tires/brakes.

It offers more in the way of sportiness than you're going to find in this class from any other automaker.

Just don't expect it to be a budget M3/S4. It's still a FWD family sedan, but based on early drives of the preproduction unit, it's notably more involving than the 1.6T/2.4NA equipped models. Something that cannot really be said of other competing models with the larger engine. Outside of the larger engine there is little difference in the way a base 6, Camry, Accord and Altima drives vs. their top spec versions.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 12-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Cars
      12-10-2019 01:33 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

I've a feeling this will be more like a GLI+. Aside from the Accord, all the models you listed above are merely just a big motor with no other performance changes.
      I wonder if Albert Bierman had anything to do with the Sonata N-Line development. And also, would a real Sonata N debut later? 330+ hp and AWD?

20. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-10-2019 01:59 PM #44
      If anything should get the N treatment it should be the next Elantra. Give it a useful back seat and this powertrain + transmission with torque vectoring AWD. For $35-40K it would be a killer. The Sonata is too big for all that

21. Member
      12-10-2019 02:01 PM #45
      I hope they at least put an LSD in it (although I've heard no mention of it.) This is what has kept me from owning the 2.0T Accord or 2.5T Mazda 6 (at lease before I learned I'm having twin boys).

12-10-2019 02:32 PM #46
      It's not really their introduction, they've been doing 2.0t engines in sonatas almost as long as everyone else.
      I meant in this generation considering this is a thread about the new gen, and it only has the 2.5/1.6t currently. Obviously they previously offered a 2.0t.

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      It's a 2.5T and comes with an 8 speed wet dual clutch transmission, sport seats, different suspension tuning, and larger wheels/tires/brakes.
      Cool, I didn't realize it was a 2.5t- The DCT is less interesting to me considering they are throwing it in so many HK models right now (Kona, Elantra, Veloster, Seltos, Soul)

12-10-2019 03:47 PM #47
      For what it's worth, this wet clutch 8-speed DCT is completely unrelated to their older dry clutch 6/7 speed DCTs.

It should be smoother/quicker shifting by design.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Cars
      14 focus st
      12-10-2019 04:13 PM #48
      Uh what. Wow. WOW.

25. 12-12-2019 08:40 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Uh what. Wow. WOW.
      Thought it was a Jag at first.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
      Cars
      12-12-2019 09:20 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      It wouldn't be the first time that something which sounds good on paper doesn't live up to the hype. All I see are words at this point. We'll have to see exactly sporty the car actually is once people can get behind the wheel. I have sport seats in my jeep and in my M3. Which one do you think is actually sporty?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast