Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      04-15-2019 03:55 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      Waxing is a waste of time.
      To me, if it's going to be a "Lazy Man's" wax it has to dry clear in the creases/seals/seams.

Best wax i've used for this is Auto Glym Ultra High Definition wax. A little goes a long way, very easy to apply and remove. High gloss, if it dries on seals it's clear and you get no white residue. If I have more time then I usually use Chemical Guys' stuff, but for a quick "between full makeover" wax jobs I use the Auto Glym.

My 2008 daily driver with 96,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

04-15-2019 04:57 PM #52
      Gonna try this stuff, 1/3 of the price of the Chemical Guys stuff, great reviews...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-30217...fl-oz/51985391
      18' Honda Clarity Electric
      18' GMC Terrain

4. 04-15-2019 05:44 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      I have done and do both still.

I use claybar to actually scrub and get stuff off, I use the steel wool to lightly go over it after to make sure no claybar was left behind.

Despite your claims you 100% absolutely CAN scratch glass with 0000 steel wool.

There is no polishing occurring with either clay or steel wool both are just cleaning.
      Quote Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin View Post
      Re-quoting for emphasis. Over time steel wool will etch the glass leaving swirl marks you won't be able to polish out like you can on clear coat. Steel wool is a good option to remove fast heavy deposits, like paint over spray, but I wouldn't incorporate into a regular washing schedule. If you do use it, use very light pressure with plenty of hot soapy water in one direction, rinsing the pad frequently - similar to how you would if you were to wet sand something.
      You brutes... In decades of doing this (and do it dry), I've never abraded or scratched any glass surface with 0000 steel wool. Then again, I've never used anything more aggressive than 0000, or used a lot of force. You're not sanding, you're gently polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      You do use the Sealant also, RIGHT.... ?!
      Not really... That stuff shines and lasts and lasts right out of the container. Try it and you'll see...

5. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 05:47 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
      Gonna try this stuff, 1/3 of the price of the Chemical Guys stuff, great reviews...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-30217...fl-oz/51985391
      FWIW I've had terrific results using the regular 303 multi-surface cleaner on my wheels. I tried Sonax, got subpar results. Then decided to try 303 because I already had it in my closet. Worked great.
      Instagram - efrie004

04-15-2019 06:17 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      FWIW I've had terrific results using the regular 303 multi-surface cleaner on my wheels. I tried Sonax, got subpar results. Then decided to try 303 because I already had it in my closet. Worked great.
      18' GMC Terrain

7. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 06:28 PM #56
      I picked up some of this from Walmart while I was there buying diapers. $7, will see how it works.

Instagram - efrie004

04-15-2019 06:42 PM #57
      That's good stuff although not a "wax".

It's akin to the Meguire's Quick Detailer, or my personal favorite Lucas Oil Slick Mist, also at Wal-Mart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil...4-oz/337372884
      18' GMC Terrain

04-15-2019 06:55 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Not really... That stuff shines and lasts and lasts right out of the container. Try it and you'll see...
      I have, but with the sealant, the depth is much better and the protection as well...

Just curious on the "subpar" results w/ Sonax. With or without agitation? The agitation seems to help a lot. I was using Griot's wheel cleaner, but found the Sonax did a marginally better job. Apparently Meguiar's has a paint and wheel product that has the iron color changing aspect in it. Havent tried it, but i feel its going to be similar to the other green to red/purple changing products.
      2017 C43 | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

10. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 07:07 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      You brutes... In decades of doing this (and do it dry), I've never abraded or scratched any glass surface with 0000 steel wool. Then again, I've never used anything more aggressive than 0000, or used a lot of force. You're not sanding, you're gently polishing.
      You're not polishing anything... If you were in fact polishing like you claim the you're definitely able to scratch with it

And I didn't say I have scratcged glass. I'm just aware it's possible and don't make claims about it not scratching glass, because it can.

You posted polish. Yes polish makes things shiney that is it's job. You still need to seal or wax after that was his point. This thread is about was not polishing a car and then leaving it exposed.

It does seem to have some sealant which is good, so it should be protecting.

Regular polishing is not necessarily good though, but i bet this an insanely light polish.
      Last edited by chris86vw; 04-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      04-15-2019 07:19 PM #60
      I picked up some of this from Walmart while I was there buying diapers. $7, will see how it works.

I use it. Works for me.

12. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 07:33 PM #61

This is good but not a wax. It is for cleaning and offers no protection that a wax or sealant would.

Since you mentioned running to walmart and getting quick wax just wanted to point this out.

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 08:08 PM #62
      This is good but not a wax. It is for cleaning and offers no protection that a wax or sealant would.

Since you mentioned running to walmart and getting quick wax just wanted to point this out.
      I know what it is. I wax the car several times a year, I use this in between.
      Instagram - efrie004

14. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 08:23 PM #63
      I do a decent wax a few times a year.

I typically just use a spray on quick wax in between, usually after each wash.

When I run out I go to Walmart and buy some more of whatever isn't the cheapest stuff.
      I know what it is. I wax the car several times a year, I use this in between.
      Was just noting this is not a spray on quick wax you mentioned before.

15. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 08:33 PM #64
      Was just noting this is not a spray on quick wax you mentioned before.
      Okay.

Allow me to rephrase. I use some cheap spray on **** that makes the car shiny between waxes. I wash the car with soap, and water, then hand dry it, and then I'll spray some of this stuff on when I'm done. Every 2-3 months I do a full wax. Whether it be the Mother's product, or this stuff I was using before, it's a nice in between.

Last edited by Cabin Pics; 04-15-2019 at 10:28 PM.
      Instagram - efrie004

04-16-2019 09:01 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      I contracted all my car washing to my buddy Jesus. He does an ok job. Doesn't charge anything.
      Sadly, that's been the strategy for our newer cars. The old Germans get a regular wash and wax though.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL (x2) | 1991 Toronado | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

17. 04-16-2019 09:28 AM #66
      Okay.

Allow me to rephrase. I use some cheap spray on **** that makes the car shiny between waxes. I wash the car with soap, and water, then hand dry it, and then I'll spray some of this stuff on when I'm done. Every 2-3 months I do a full wax. Whether it be the Mother's product, or this stuff I was using before, it's a nice in between.

Detailers aren't wax. Basically I use them for quick clean ups or for lube for my clay bar. I use Megs Ultimate spray wax each time I was my car. Its a black bottle. You can get it at wally world for 8 or 9 bucks. Wash and dry the car then go back with spray wax and microfiber. It basically keeps the water beading and does a decent job in between my real wax jobs. I typically try to do a full wax 3 times a year. One in the spring before pollen season, one some point in the summer, and one in fall before winter weather hits.

04-16-2019 09:50 AM #67
      With my ceramic coating I just wash the car, and it's easier to do that too.

Cars
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      04-16-2019 10:15 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      To me, if it's going to be a "Lazy Man's" wax it has to dry clear in the creases/seals/seams.

Best wax i've used for this is Auto Glym Ultra High Definition wax. A little goes a long way, very easy to apply and remove. High gloss, if it dries on seals it's clear and you get no white residue. If I have more time then I usually use Chemical Guys' stuff, but for a quick "between full makeover" wax jobs I use the Auto Glym.

My 2008 daily driver with 96,000 miles.
      Looks good.

I corrected the paint on my car a couple of years ago. I'm sure that I did a half-assed job compared to people who know what they're doing, but even so, the Adam's Correcting Polish seems to have really made a difference in ease of keeping it looking decent since. Here you can see before (right) and after (left) scratches from my complimentary car paint destroying hand wash at the dealer. It came out relatively easily. I would like to try ceramic coating, but I'm not sure it's worth it on a 130k mile car.

I may try some of that spray-on stuff for regular washes.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      04-16-2019 10:25 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Sadly, that's been the strategy for our newer cars. The old Germans get a regular wash and wax though.
      I tried that with my Yaris and the clear coat is already shot on the roof — trying to avoid that on this car.

Good ideas so far — thanks everyone. I wanted to get some ideas about new products/tech since I haven't been following this space for a long time.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      04-16-2019 10:51 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Splattj1 View Post
      The spray on products are really coming into their own this year. The water activated products save yet another step and are super forgiving. The Meguiars might not be the best product available but it's one of the most cost effective and widely available locally, which means a lot to most people.
      I really like Meg's products as far as ease of use and customer support. Their new ceramic spray that is water applied is actually really good. I also like their "fast finish" for my motorcycle as it really makes the brighter metallic colors pop. The 800 number for advice/support is also really helpful for the average person.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

22. Member
      04-16-2019 12:25 PM #71
      I recently bought a bottle of "The Last Coat". Safe for all surfaces and produces a really nice gloss, excellent beading action and super easy to use. Long term durability has yet to be determined.

https://thelastcoat.com/collections/...dalone-bottles

23. 04-16-2019 01:06 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Yeah, great stuff - but outrageously expensive.
      https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Cera.../dp/B07D2DJ4TX

That stuff works if you can properly apply it.

24. Member
      Cars
      E36 M3/4, ND Miata
      04-16-2019 01:12 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Cera.../dp/B07D2DJ4TX

That stuff works if you can properly apply it.
      Anecdotal, but it doesn't seem to last too long, even in comparison to some sprays: https://youtu.be/fznghWNhPzA?t=291

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      04-16-2019 01:29 PM #74
      I'm extremely lazy with car exteriors, so the Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax works just fine for me. It's better than what I would normally do (no wax at all).

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      04-16-2019 01:35 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

I may try some of that spray-on stuff for regular washes.
      I usually just use a detailer's spray or something like Auto Glym's "Aqua Wax" to spray as i'm drying the car off for washes between waxes.

Saves drying the whole car and then taking the time to go around the car and apply product.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast