Fourtitude.com - Best lazy man's wax
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      04-15-2019 10:23 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Yeah, great stuff - but outrageously expensive.
      It's not too bad really, although I suppose that is a subjective statement. I paid $1000 to have it done to my Mercedes and honestly it's been worth every penny.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-15-2019 10:23 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Ceramic coating. Do it once and it’s good for years to come.
      Agreed. If you're really inclined, you can DIY ceramic coating and it doesn't cost much at all. But even spending $600 to have a pro apply it is well worth it if you want to keep your car for a long time. I had my Focus coated with Ceramic Pro and I'm really happy with it. Probably going to get the Mazda done at some point too.

4. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      04-15-2019 10:25 AM #28

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...SABEgK-BPD_BwE

My car is CQuartz UK ceramic coated actually and I like fast finish BETTER than the ceramic coating.
      2012 VW GTI( (Stage II APR)
      2001 Toyota 4Runner (winter)

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      04-15-2019 10:40 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      I think it's important to establish a baseline of what constitutes "lazy." my recommendation was for the bottom of the barrel, can't even be bothered to wipe a thing off, kind of lazy.
      I want to spend an afternoon on it maybe once a year. So I don't mind clay barring it and then spending a few hours buffing/etc.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      04-15-2019 10:48 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Agreed. If you're really inclined, you can DIY ceramic coating and it doesn't cost much at all.
      I agree as well. The DIY coatings have come a long way in terms of ease of use which is why I initially avoided them. I've used Gyeon Syncro (Focus ST) and GTechniq Crystal Serum Light + GTechniq EXOv4 (Stelvio) this year. Both were relatively painless to apply. Prepping the paint is the key, time consuming part but you make up for that in longevity and ease of washing the car.

OP - If you really can't be bothered with looking into coatings I would just use any of the myriad of spray on wet car/hose off products that are on the market. My current go to is Sonax Spray and Seal. They work quite well for what they are and can be applied very quickly. You'll probably have to reapply every 3 months or so depending on your environment and where the car is parked. How much protection you are actually getting is unclear but it has to be better than nothing.

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      04-15-2019 11:22 AM #31
      Mequires and Mothers waxes and quick detailers.

8. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      04-15-2019 11:27 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I want to spend an afternoon on it maybe once a year. So I don't mind clay barring it and then spending a few hours buffing/etc.
      Then I stand by my one step + method above (except add in a nanoskin/clay bar pass before the DA work). Should be plenty to keep the paint looking really nice. UFF is a 10 min job twice a year, maybe 4x to be safe if you park outside. Research what pros are using to see if HD speed is still recommended or if there's something better/easier to use.

9. Member
      Cars
      '10 335i; '98 M3/4/5
      04-15-2019 11:57 AM #33

Epic Prima is a sealant that goes on easy and very thin. Buffs out very easy, too. Looks very wet, which I understand from OP might not be what you're after, but lasts much longer than any spray on or carnauba wax.

10. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      04-15-2019 12:05 PM #34
      In that case Wolfgang sealant is the bomb. Looks super wet and lasts at least a year. It wipes off very easily. You have to make sure the car doesn't get wet for 12-24 hours after you apply it though.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Cars
      2017 STI
      04-15-2019 12:09 PM #35
      I contracted all my car washing to my buddy Jesus. He does an ok job. Doesn't charge anything.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      13' Genesis Coupe, 16' Tucson
      04-15-2019 12:13 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      This is what I use...

I've been using this lately as well. Works quite well!

13. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 12:33 PM #37
      I think zmt2 has the best idea so far with a few up front steps I would recommend, with a partial annual repeat.

My white car was the one car from day one I did a full paint correction on the week I got it and when clean looked amazing, I liked it more than I like my current black cars clean.

I would do a one time up front very good clay, since it is white any scratches you might cause doing that won't be too bad to just hide with a glaze so you won't need to polish, if it was dark that would be a different story.

Then glaze, think of glaze like the stuff people use on their face to hide cracks and wrinkles, it fills the fine scratches just enough that they are less visible. It won't be necessary to protect the paint but it is an easy step that will likely make you say WOW not just wow after you do this.

Then using something like the meg ultimate that he suggested, it is synthetic. They call it wax others might call it a sealant, they are the same thing. They last much longer than a carnuba based wax and they actually go on and buff off easily. (You can also use this on your glass.. also clay your glass)

A minor extra step would be some sort of liquid wax, I currently am a fan of the CG butter wet wax for this. I do this every few (try for 3) months and it helps keep a nice shine/bead while making sure that base layer sealant lasts the full year. You can probably apply and buff out a Corolla in 20 minutes.

Finish off that afternoon, yes that can all be done in an afternoon, with a speed wipe/quick detailer. It will add yet another layer. Also you probably missed buffing out a few places of wax so it takes care of those

For your regular washes either use something like the waterless washes people have mentioned that have wax, my white car was the first one I Tried these on and learned to appreciate them and even now do it on my black cars.. first time was scary... but use it in the winter now. ( I have a sealed bucket presoaking microfibers that only get used for this one time and then moved to another task)

If you just want to do a normal wash on whatever your regular schedule is while drying just use one of the speed wipe/detail spray products shown here, any should be fine, again this will help ensure you get a full year out of that sealant/base wax.

Your favorite store actually sells great microfibers, I have colored coded ones for most tasks but actually use the yellow costco ones for most buffing, just make sure you tear the tag off. Don't wash them with anything else and dry them on fluff no heat.

04-15-2019 12:36 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      In that case Wolfgang sealant is the bomb. Looks super wet and lasts at least a year. It wipes off very easily. You have to make sure the car doesn't get wet for 12-24 hours after you apply it though.
      I used Wolfgang sealant on this and it looks really good. Still looks good after about 2 months too.

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      04-15-2019 12:51 PM #39
      Sonax spray and seal is the most miraculous stuff I’ve used. It’s like a spray on, wash off light ceramic coating. Paint looks wet and is crazy hydrophobic for months afterwards. Use it on glass, rubber, wheels....everything. It works incredibly well.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

16. Member
      Cars
      '09 335d
      04-15-2019 01:06 PM #40
      Detail once a year and a little bit of maintenance goes a long way. Quik wax while drying with a big microfibre really makes things easy.

17. 04-15-2019 01:08 PM #41
      Surprised no one has mentioned Klasse All-In-One, the best, easiest, most-durable way to put a super-wet shine on your vehicle that lasts for a year or two. I've been using this on my vehicles for years, and have always been happy:

My 18-year-old Honda Insight has never been repainted:

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      You can also use this on your glass.. also clay your glass
      It's a lot better to polish your glass. Use 0000 steel wool, cheap as dirt and a five-minute job will make your glass surfaces baby-bottom smooth, soooo much better than claying (yes, I've tried it, 0000 steel wool will not scratch your glass and it will absolutely change the way you treat any external glass surfaces on your vehicles). I will then Rain-X the surfaces, and repeat every year or so:

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 01:12 PM #42
      I do a decent wax a few times a year.

I typically just use a spray on quick wax in between, usually after each wash.

When I run out I go to Walmart and buy some more of whatever isn't the cheapest stuff.
      Instagram - efrie004

19. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 01:21 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post

It's a lot better to polish your glass. cheap as dirt and a five-minute job will make your glass surfaces baby-bottom smooth, soooo much better than claying (yes, I've tried it, 0000 steel wool will not scratch your glass and it will absolutely change the way you treat any external glass surfaces on your vehicles). I will then Rain-X the surfaces, and repeat every year or so:
      I have done and do both still.

I use claybar to actually scrub and get stuff off, I use the steel wool to lightly go over it after to make sure no claybar was left behind.

Despite your claims you 100% absolutely CAN scratch glass with 0000 steel wool.

There is no polishing occurring with either clay or steel wool both are just cleaning.

Cars
      R32, B7
      04-15-2019 01:27 PM #44
      I'm an Adam's fanboi, but this stuff is good. can be applied in direct sun for ultimate laziness.

welcome to the layer cake

21. Member
      Cars
      '10 335i; '98 M3/4/5
      04-15-2019 02:07 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Despite your claims you 100% absolutely CAN scratch glass with 0000 steel wool.
      Re-quoting for emphasis. Over time steel wool will etch the glass leaving swirl marks you won't be able to polish out like you can on clear coat. Steel wool is a good option to remove fast heavy deposits, like paint over spray, but I wouldn't incorporate into a regular washing schedule. If you do use it, use very light pressure with plenty of hot soapy water in one direction, rinsing the pad frequently - similar to how you would if you were to wet sand something.

Cars
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      04-15-2019 02:20 PM #46
      Came in to post this. Leaving satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Same claim with Nu Finish that I have been using for 25 years. Not the most glossy finish, actually fairly durable. Between the 3 annual coats I use a wax booster in spray to give a wet look.

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

23. Senior Member
      04-15-2019 02:52 PM #47
      Has Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845 been mentioned yet? Collinite 845 gets mentioned on here and friends in the area that I've met through here also have mentioned Collinite 845. Finally bought it. Really easy to use.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/liqu...l#.XLTRwdLsbIU

I've been using 3M Perfect It Show Car Paste Wax. Great product. But, it will never be recommended in the easiest-to-use discussion.

24. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      04-15-2019 03:06 PM #48
      I like Meguiars ultimate wax. Relatively easy to use and pretty decent results.

"Lazy Man's Wax" is a bit of a contradiction though; some work better than others but there's no free lunch in detailing.

25. Member
      Cars
      '10 DBP Si
      04-15-2019 03:26 PM #49
      big fan of all the Duragloss products but the 951 Aquawax is my go-to lazy wax. spray it on as you dry post-wash with a microfiber towel and it buffs totally clean. i always wipe the water off anyway to prevent water spotting so it helps me combine the two steps pretty effectively. i do one major hand applied wax application a year and fill in with the Duragloss about 3-4 times a year.

@go_scott_go

04-15-2019 03:28 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Surprised no one has mentioned Klasse All-In-One, the best, easiest, most-durable way to put a super-wet shine on your vehicle that lasts for a year or two. I've been using this on my vehicles for years, and have always been happy:
      You do use the Sealant also, RIGHT.... ?!
      2017 C43 | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast