VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Iron rust

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  nc_detail_garage 
#1 ·
I have a white 2017 GTI that has the brown iron rust spots on it. I’ve clayed and it doesn’t come up. What else should I try? Thank you for your help

King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Surprised you're not getting it with a clay bar. I've owned a white car for 13 years now, and have not seen much that won't get removed with the clay bar (might just take a few passes or possibly a more aggressive clay car).

As others have noted, going in with an Iron X type spray first will generally help your paint, and ideally helps loosen some of this stuff up so you can remove it. I find the hatch/rear bumper areas to be the worse on GTI's for accumulating rail dust/fallout.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Wow! That's so heavily soiled for a 2017. I see you're in NY - in the city or close? You're getting some serious fallout. Hopefully sealing will help keep it from getting so into the paint here on out, but good to see the clay bar + Iron X provided better results for you.

I love white because you can see this stuff and get rid of it - if you have any other color, you never even know that it's there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.