Fourtitude.com - The road to Radwood Las Vegas
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 123
    1. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-15-2019 06:24 PM #51
      Picked up the head. Looks great!


      Putting the head on tomorrow night, since it’s gonna rain tonight. Just gonna run to the parts store, grab a couple of oil changes, coolant, and exhaust studs.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      9,684
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-15-2019 06:29 PM #52
      May the force be with you.
      Instagram - efrie004

    4. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      15,847
      04-15-2019 07:24 PM #53
      Excellent!!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    5. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,110
      04-15-2019 07:33 PM #54
      Are you going to have to stack gaskets now? What is the compression ratio going to be? They took a **** ton of material off that head. They changed the way it's going to squish too. Also the sharp edges may cause a knock issue, are you going to clean that up at all?

    6. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      24,386
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      04-15-2019 07:39 PM #55
      That should pep it up a bit! Just run good fuel.

    7. Member Crispyfritter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      13,448
      04-15-2019 10:13 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That should pep it up a bit! Just run good fuel.
      Maybe dial back the timing a bit if the computer will let you.

      Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL (x2) | 1991 Toronado | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

    8. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      21,225
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      04-15-2019 11:52 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Picked up the head. Looks great!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    9. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-16-2019 12:38 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Are you going to have to stack gaskets now? What is the compression ratio going to be? They took a **** ton of material off that head. They changed the way it's going to squish too. Also the sharp edges may cause a knock issue, are you going to clean that up at all?
      Yah, looking at the pictures, there was a lot taken off. Kinda scary. I will gently take a file to the sharp edges.
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That should pep it up a bit! Just run good fuel.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Maybe dial back the timing a bit if the computer will let you.

      Chris
      I can set timing with the distributor, so if it’s knocking on premium fuel, I can dial it back. It also has knock sensors, so it should do it by itself.
      This car is intended to be a flip, so I am hoping it isn’t screwy. I ended up picking up a better condition hood, and he had a bunch of 8v heads, if worst comes to worst.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    10. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      21,225
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      04-16-2019 01:20 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Yah, looking at the pictures, there was a lot taken off. Kinda scary.
      As per the Bentley, the minimum head height allowed is 5.220 inches between the top of the head and the bottom of the head. If you measure your head, it will give you a good idea of how much material has been removed. Of course you need to measure a stock head height.

      Also, at minimum head height (5.220 inches), the 8V motor becomes an interference motor. Ask me how I know.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    11. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,300
      Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      04-16-2019 03:22 AM #60
      Just got caught up...nice progress! I was getting anxious just reading about the head drama.

      Doubt I'll make it to this Radwood but not out of the question yet. May be heading down to the Whale's Vagina instead that weekend.

    12. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-16-2019 10:48 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      As per the Bentley, the minimum head height allowed is 5.220 inches between the top of the head and the bottom of the head. If you measure your head, it will give you a good idea of how much material has been removed. Of course you need to measure a stock head height.

      Also, at minimum head height (5.220 inches), the 8V motor becomes an interference motor. Ask me how I know.
      I don’t have a more accurate way to measure it, but it appears to be right at the limit. Gonna count it as a win.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      9,684
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-16-2019 10:52 AM #62
      You're fine....

      Send it!
      Instagram - efrie004

    14. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      21,225
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      04-16-2019 11:25 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You're fine....
      Of coarse.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    15. Member t_white's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2006
      Location
      MD
      Posts
      17,423
      Cars
      997.1 + 190E
      04-16-2019 02:20 PM #64
      I appreciate the timeline and vehicle choice (I am partial as a previous owner of roughly 8 mk2s). Making a good amount of headway now!

    16. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-16-2019 08:16 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Just got caught up...nice progress! I was getting anxious just reading about the head drama.

      Doubt I'll make it to this Radwood but not out of the question yet. May be heading down to the Whale's Vagina instead that weekend.
      I just caught up on the Cayman, so we are even. And we will see if I make it to Radwood.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You're fine....

      Send it!
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Of coarse.
      Don’t get grit in your shorts.

      Quote Originally Posted by t_white View Post
      I appreciate the timeline and vehicle choice (I am partial as a previous owner of roughly 8 mk2s). Making a good amount of headway now!
      Thanks!

      Before I start slapping the head on, I went to Napa to grab some exhaust studs and found a new car:


      Now, I am going to get greasy. Hopefully the next time I post, it will be a video of a running GTI with coolant not entering the combustion chamber.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    17. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-16-2019 11:59 PM #66
      So, good news: car is back together and starting.

      Potentially bad news: it’s making an extra noise. Beyond the normal lifter tick from dry lifters, it’s making a metallic scraping noise. It sounds like cam speed to me, not crank speed. The invoice for the machine shop said they removed the camshaft. So I am gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow and check that all the cam bearings are installed correctly. I had a thought to check it, but I had a couple of guys helping me, and it slipped my mind when they showed up. It was also dark by the time we were able to start it, so it was hard to troubleshoot.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      9,684
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-17-2019 12:41 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      So, good news: car is back together and starting.

      Potentially bad news: it’s making an extra noise. Beyond the normal lifter tick from dry lifters, it’s making a metallic scraping noise. It sounds like cam speed to me, not crank speed. The invoice for the machine shop said they removed the camshaft. So I am gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow and check that all the cam bearings are installed correctly. I had a thought to check it, but I had a couple of guys helping me, and it slipped my mind when they showed up. It was also dark by the time we were able to start it, so it was hard to troubleshoot.
      Cam bearings are important. Unless you measure each one they all look identical, and many a times they can be installed incorrectly. Total pain in the ass. Cam bearing installation requires a micrometer and patience. Been there, done did that. Twice.

      Ask me why.
      Instagram - efrie004

    19. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,028
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      04-17-2019 05:27 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post

      .
      I had those seats in my last 16v. I also have that hotwheels.

    20. Member 3WheelGTi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI occasionally
      Posts
      7,203
      Cars
      2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 2002 BMW 530i, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1982 VW Rabbit
      04-17-2019 06:39 AM #69
      Check the torque values on the cam bearing caps carefully. That will cause funny sounds if the cam isn’t held true.

      Also, I have locked a cam up in an ABA head before due to low oil pressure. The bearing surface closest to the cam gear seems to be the most sensitive to oil pressure. The older 8Vs are likely similar.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      2,515
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      04-17-2019 10:26 AM #70
      Fingers crossed for a simple cam installation fix.

    22. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-17-2019 08:30 PM #71
      Calling on the hive mind:

      What is the noise? I retorqued the cam, checked timing belt tension, sprayed lube on the various spinning stuff.
      The timing belt was too tight, but setting the tension correctly didn’t change the noise.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    23. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      24,386
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      04-17-2019 08:57 PM #72
      I’d pull the belts off one by one.

    24. Member Bad Rabbit Habit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      3,553
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      04-17-2019 10:06 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I’d pull the belts off one by one.
      Looks like the timing belt tensioner didn't survive reinstall/over-tightening. Feels terrible, and doesn't free wheel at all. Have one on order. The GTI needs to be running well enough to drive tomorrow night, or I am gonna have to focus attention to the Rabbit. I only have one weekend left.

      Going back out, gonna soak it in WD40, and see if it gets quieter/better.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

    25. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,110
      04-18-2019 12:36 PM #74
      Looks like you figured it out already. But yeah, that's the tensioner for sure.

    26. Member Crispyfritter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      13,448
      04-18-2019 01:36 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Looks like you figured it out already. But yeah, that's the tensioner for sure.
      Yeah, my vote was tensioner as well. Nice work. You've still got time.

      Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL (x2) | 1991 Toronado | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-16-2005, 01:47 PM
    2. Pics from the SEMA show in Las Vegas
      By toddvwvr6 in forum Photography
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-03-2001, 01:51 AM
    3. Pics from the SEMA show in Las Vegas
      By toddvwvr6 in forum The Car Lounge
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-03-2001, 01:50 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •