Fourtitude.com - Guess the damage...Golf R edition
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 04-10-2019 11:30 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vTa4 View Post
      Insurance companies work in mysterious ways these days, so I'm not saying that they won't total it. But, from personal experience, this car really has very little damage and can be as good as new again. Looks like it needs a taillight, bumper cover, some door and quarter repair, maybe a wheel, and of course a few suspension parts.
      I'd bet there's no structural damage and the dcc shock is just fine.

This is an R I just used for a swap and all I replaced on the rear suspension was the lower control arm and an upper link. I just got an alignment done last week and it's straight as an arrow. The dcc shock was fine, and except for it being curled up right at the point of impact, the rear pan wasn't bad either.

OP, find the best body shop in your area and it'll be fine. Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
      the unibody on that donor R absorbed most of the impact, so I'm not surprised with the minimal suspension damage.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-10-2019 11:31 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by buumer View Post
      My R was totaled after being hit in the same area (passenger side). The damage never looked bad and the initial estimate was only a few grand. Body shop started taking the car apart which uncovered more damage and my insurance totaled it.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...3-16-R-totaled

Seriously? Looks like this can be buffed out easily.

4. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-10-2019 11:51 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      Seriously? Looks like this can be buffed out easily.
      Yeah, that really doesn't look bad.

If that did some sort of suspension mount damage then there's something in there that's almost too rigid. A subframe with a designed-in weak point (like the weak point across the hood to make it fold predictably) should be able to protect the body mounting points. Perhaps everything is directly mounted with no subframe? I haven't looked underneath a MkVII, so I'm out of the loop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

5. Senior Member
      04-10-2019 11:55 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yeah, that really doesn't look bad.

If that did some sort of suspension mount damage then there's something in there that's almost too rigid. A subframe with a designed-in weak point (like the weak point across the hood to make it fold predictably) should be able to protect the body mounting points. Perhaps everything is directly mounted with no subframe? I haven't looked underneath a MkVII, so I'm out of the loop.
      It is all mounted to the subframe

But I think that is part of the difference.

OPs hit wheel is just bent inward, appears that it is probably just one of the links, maybe the bearing housing that is tweaked. This would be a few hundred bucks in parts and an alignment.

That one there appears that the whole thing is punted inward. Possibly did some damage where the sub frame actually mounts up to the "frame".

6. 04-10-2019 12:44 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      It is all mounted to the subframe

But I think that is part of the difference.

OPs hit wheel is just bent inward, appears that it is probably just one of the links, maybe the bearing housing that is tweaked. This would be a few hundred bucks in parts and an alignment.

That one there appears that the whole thing is punted inward. Possibly did some damage where the sub frame actually mounts up to the "frame".
      Looking back, it would have been nice to speak to one of the techs about the extent of the damage. I drove the car for a week after with no obvious difference in feel.

FWIW, this was a VW “recommeded” shop on the US site. Seeing as how my insurance didn’t really fight the damage after the initial 3k estimate, my guess is that it was fairly significant underneath or was unable to be returned to factory standards. Plus I was dealing with LA labor costs...

OP, take a look at the certified VW collision repair shops in your area (if you haven’t already).

https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/vw...ies-and-shops/

Cars
      997.1 + 190E
      04-10-2019 04:20 PM #81
      Going through my insurance first and I'll let them fight with the crackhead's insurance...
      Make sure your carrier puts pressure on the other person's carrier NOW (not wait until after they pay out for damages) to get them to admit liability as soon as possible. It will make the process much easier for you and your insurance carrier. If your insurance carrier has to pay outright for the damages, this could potentially affect YOUR insurance premiums/no loss credit/etc... Hopefully you have rental insurance for the meantime so you don't have to pay out of pocket for that.
      Last edited by t_white; 04-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      04-11-2019 06:28 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by t_white View Post
      Make sure your carrier puts pressure on the other person's carrier NOW (not wait until after they pay out for damages) to get them to admit liability as soon as possible. It will make the process much easier for you and your insurance carrier. If your insurance carrier has to pay outright for the damages, this could potentially affect YOUR insurance premiums/no loss credit/etc... Hopefully you have rental insurance for the meantime so you don't have to pay out of pocket for that.
      Is there any question of liability when the crash was filmed on Live PD?

9. 04-12-2019 11:39 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by t_white View Post
      Well, my insurance company will probably have to pay outright for the damage. Apparently the motorcyclist couldn't provide a proof of insurance and what we got from the police was the insurance from the previous owner of the motorcycle.
      Last edited by dcsh; 04-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-12-2019 12:20 PM #84
      Well, my insurance company will probably have to pay outright for the damage. Apparently the motorcyclist couldn't provide a proof of insurance and what we got from the police was the insurance from the previous owner of the motorcycle.
      no estimate yet?

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-12-2019 12:24 PM #85
      Do you have uninsured motorist? Please say you have uninsured motorist coverage.

I had to use that when the air duster lady hit me head on in my truck. Because of that coverage (It's super cheap) my stuff got paid for, and my rates didn't change because it wasn't my fault.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      04-12-2019 12:25 PM #86
      wonder what kind of turning circle you could get with all wheel steering on a golf? 6 feet?
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

13. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      04-12-2019 12:30 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
      wonder what kind of turning circle you could get with all wheel steering on a golf? 6 feet?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

14. 04-12-2019 12:37 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      no estimate yet?
      Not yet. Shop just started tearing it down.

15. 04-12-2019 12:54 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Do you have uninsured motorist? Please say you have uninsured motorist coverage.

I had to use that when the air duster lady hit me head on in my truck. Because of that coverage (It's super cheap) my stuff got paid for, and my rates didn't change because it wasn't my fault.
      I have UMBI but not UMPD. It's going to be a collision claim.

But insurance premium calculation is complicated and you really can't tell for sure what's going to happen...
      Last edited by dcsh; 04-14-2019 at 03:31 AM.

16. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      04-12-2019 02:42 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
      Well the wheelbase is 8.6', so I guess, 4.3' as a minimum?

On a side note, I'm currently in Germany and googling 'Golf R Wheelbase' returned 2626mm. That's a nice number, I wonder if it was original 2629 or something and they shortened it for the alliteration.

Cars
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      04-12-2019 03:10 PM #91
      Why would you not have UM coverage when driving a new car?
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-12-2019 03:18 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      Why would you not have UM coverage when driving a new car?
      Just looked my policy.

For the SQ5 -

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $12.96
      Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $24.88
      Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $20.36

$58.20 for the entire year.

For the 325i -

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $8.88
      Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $6.88
      Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $13.96

$29.72

I have no earthly idea why you wouldn't carry the coverage, it's dirt cheap, and protects you from idiots without insurance or terrible coverage. For those who look at the cost monthly, I pay a total of $7.33 per month. Well worth it to make sure your rates don't skyrocket from an accident that wasn't your fault to begin with.
      Last edited by Cabin Pics; 04-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
      Instagram - efrie004

19. 04-12-2019 03:44 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Just looked my policy.

For the SQ5 -

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $12.96
      Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $24.88
      Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $20.36

$58.20 for the entire year.

For the 325i -

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $8.88
      Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $6.88
      Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $13.96

$29.72

I have no earthly idea why you wouldn't carry the coverage, it's dirt cheap, and protects you from idiots without insurance or terrible coverage. For those who look at the cost monthly, I pay a total of $7.33 per month. Well worth it to make sure your rates don't skyrocket from an accident that wasn't your fault to begin with.
      Because it sort of overlaps with collision coverage. And your rate can still go up when you use UM coverage. Anyway, let's not turn this into a discussion about insurance.

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-12-2019 03:49 PM #94
      Because it sort of overlaps with collision coverage. And your rate can still go up when you use UM coverage. Anyway, let's not turn this into a discussion about insurance.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      S60, ‘murrica
      04-12-2019 05:12 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Ahahahah ashamed to say that I watch Live PD, but I totally saw this!!! That dude’s ankle was f***ed!!!! Ahahahaha!!!
      I just saw it now, and the second I saw it was a Golf R and saw the damage I remembered this thread. Kinda funny, kinda not..

DirectTV app not so good at rewind, but there’s the Golf. Ugh.

Last edited by MylesPH1; 04-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.
      One sedan
      One coupe

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      04-12-2019 08:34 PM #96
      Well kids, it's Friday night, and if you haven't seen Live PD yet, I suggest you check it out. It's quality entertainment. It's chock-full of nimrods getting pulled over for minor stuff - license plate light out, 40 in a 25 zone, expired tags, etc - that then escalates rapidly as the driver turns out to have a suspended license, no license, felony warrants in 3 states, an open malt liquor tall boy between his knees, massive bales of weed in the trunk, loaded Mac-10 under the driver's seat, etc etc etc - all or some combination of the above. Domestic disputes, haploids shoplifting at the local convenience store, etc. The best part is how most of them try to blow smoke up the cops' asses when questioned. The few that tell the truth are almost always given a break, but few seem to understand that the cops have heard it all, and being honest up front will earn respect and some slack later on.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

23. 04-12-2019 09:23 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Well kids, it's Friday night, and if you haven't seen Live PD yet, I suggest you check it out. It's quality entertainment. It's chock-full of nimrods getting pulled over for minor stuff - license plate light out, 40 in a 25 zone, expired tags, etc - that then escalates rapidly as the driver turns out to have a suspended license, no license, felony warrants in 3 states, an open malt liquor tall boy between his knees, massive bales of weed in the trunk, loaded Mac-10 under the driver's seat, etc etc etc - all or some combination of the above. Domestic disputes, haploids shoplifting at the local convenience store, etc. The best part is how most of them try to blow smoke up the cops' asses when questioned. The few that tell the truth are almost always given a break, but few seem to understand that the cops have heard it all, and being honest up front will earn respect and some slack later on.
      Excellent, your indoctrination is complete.

Cars
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      04-15-2019 11:20 AM #98
      Any updates yet?

Anyone has a link to the video of this sad accident?

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      04-15-2019 01:14 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Any updates yet?

Anyone has a link to the video of this sad accident?
      This was on page one. Not sure if there is a more complete version yet

Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post

Cars
      1992 Corrado SLC
      04-15-2019 01:59 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      This was on page one. Not sure if there is a more complete version yet
      A&E has the full episode up now: https://www.aetv.com/shows/live-pd/season-3/episode-54
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      To be fair it's kind of Toyota's fault for pandering to people who don't give a **** about cars.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast