Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-09-2019 02:47 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      thats a hell of a lot of damage to the suspension for just being a motorcycle. got pics of the bike?
      I was thinking the same thing. I took a similar amount of damage to that same wheel when I was t-boned by a car...
      iain

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      04-09-2019 02:51 PM #52
      Sucks for OP, but this thread is pretty interesting! lol

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-09-2019 02:53 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I was thinking the same thing. I took a similar amount of damage to that same wheel when I was t-boned by a car...
      Physics can be funny like that sometimes.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-09-2019 02:54 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      This.

If the car can be fixed to the standards they set, then it will be fixed. Period. Even if they have to cut the car in half to accomplish this. Some of the repairs that body guys are doing on more expensive cars is insane. With the cost of vehicles getting so high, many accidents that would have totaled a new car 15 years ago are now something they have to fix, since the damage doesn't hit whatever number insurance sets to total it.
      This has largely ceased to happen anymore. Repair procedures for modern cars are very strict and any insurance payout takes that into account. Its simply not possible to fix many modern cars the way they were fixed in the past. Things like frame rails can only be minimally aligned before they need to be completely replaced. Aluminum parts must be replaced and cant be bend back unless they are none structural. Additionally even basic parts are often thousands of dollars. Things like LED headlights are often $1500 or more. This means that even for expensive new cars they end up totaled.

Cars
      18 Passat GT // 17 Passat SEL // 18 Jeep Cherokee
      04-09-2019 03:02 PM #55
      I ran into an issue recently where the insurance company would only pay a certain amount for certain parts, therefore you were stuck with aftermarket parts until the body shop jumped in to help, contacted the local VW dealer who price matched OEM parts to the aftermarket prices. Estimates also depend highly on the shop's hourly rate and such, could differ highly from one shop to another.
      2018 VW Passat GT | Reflex Silver | DSG | OEM+ | Delivered March 2019
      Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft In North America

04-09-2019 03:18 PM #56
      Standard issue advice is if you want it totalled take it to your local exotic car body shop, and get a outrageous quote.

Also remember that what they tell you is not written in stone. The adjuster does have some leeway, but you often have to wring it out of them.

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      04-09-2019 03:27 PM #57
      Who's insurance is paying for this OP? Bet it's going to be a **** show if you're trying to get the crack head motorcyclist to pay for it.
      FOR SALE: 2015 eGolf SEL Premium, 52,000 miles, $11,500

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-09-2019 03:38 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Who's insurance is paying for this OP? Bet it's going to be a **** show if you're trying to get the crack head motorcyclist to pay for it.
      This is why I always make sure I'm covered under "Uninsured Crackhead" coverage.
      Instagram - efrie004

10. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-09-2019 03:40 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      This has largely ceased to happen anymore. Repair procedures for modern cars are very strict and any insurance payout takes that into account. Its simply not possible to fix many modern cars the way they were fixed in the past. Things like frame rails can only be minimally aligned before they need to be completely replaced. Aluminum parts must be replaced and cant be bend back unless they are none structural. Additionally even basic parts are often thousands of dollars. Things like LED headlights are often $1500 or more. This means that even for expensive new cars they end up totaled.
      I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but I don't believe that this impact rises to the severity that bonded aluminum structural pieces are compromised. It's some quarter panel skin damage and a wheel shoved. As long as the control arm mounts are intact or can be fixed the rest is cake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

11. 04-09-2019 03:55 PM #60
      Nah, its not that bad. Look at the door gap, the structure is fine. Door will be repaired, and I bet the quarter panel will be as well, Hell even the bumper may be repaired. The taillight, rear suspension arms, and wheel and tire will be replaced. Suspension components are designed to bend, and absorb impacts, and thats exactly what they did.

My guess is around 8k. Thats an easy fix, and nothing that is going to compromise the structure.
      The door actually looks ok - no dent. Just needs some paint.

But the quarter panel will need to be repaired. Feels like the sheet metal is quite a bit thinner on the mk7 than the mk6.

12. 04-09-2019 03:57 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Going through my insurance first and I'll let them fight with the crackhead's insurance...

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-09-2019 04:02 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but I don't believe that this impact rises to the severity that bonded aluminum structural pieces are compromised. It's some quarter panel skin damage and a wheel shoved. As long as the control arm mounts are intact or can be fixed the rest is cake.
      Not at all, thats why I said earlier I bet it will be about 8k, and they will repair rather than replace the quarter panel.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-09-2019 04:09 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      The door actually looks ok - no dent. Just needs some paint.

But the quarter panel will need to be repaired. Feels like the sheet metal is quite a bit thinner on the mk7 than the mk6.
      I don't know about the quarter panel, but I know that some of the metal is thinner than it used to be, but is higher strength steel. Some bits are even designed to set/harden when baking in the paint booth! (Isn't that neat? )

Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      Going through my insurance first and I'll let them fight with the crackhead's insurance...
      Have you confirmed he has insurance? I hope so.

Not at all, thats why I said earlier I bet it will be about 8k, and they will repair rather than replace the quarter panel.
      Gotcha. I hadn't looked back to see that was you.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-09-2019 04:34 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I don't know about the quarter panel, but I know that some of the metal is thinner than it used to be, but is higher strength steel. Some bits are even designed to set/harden when baking in the paint booth! (Isn't that neat? )

Have you confirmed he has insurance? I hope so.

Gotcha. I hadn't looked back to see that was you.
      Im 90% sure they will fix the quarter because its not structural, and the damage is only slightly more than what a PDR guy could handle. It makes no sense to remove and section the quarter panel when it can be pulled, and filled easily. If the damage caught the quarter panel edge by the bumper and tailight they would almost certainly replace it.

Cars
      One SUV, One CUV
      04-09-2019 04:34 PM #65
      Car is new enough, perhaps OP’s policy covers OEM parts for first four years - that is an additional premium on the policy, but worth it if you have to use it.

Also, full replacement value for first four years on new vehicles is another additional awesome rider if your provider offers it.

I’ll guess around $12k will be the initial estimate and final bill closer to 15.

Not totalled.

17. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-09-2019 04:36 PM #66
      Im 90% sure they will fix the quarter because its not structural, and the damage is only slightly more than what a PDR guy could handle. It makes no sense to remove and section the quarter panel when it can be pulled, and filled easily. If the damage caught the quarter panel edge by the bumper and tailight they would almost certainly replace it.
      I wasn't saying that they would replace it, I was just pointing out some fairly recent* changes in manufacturing.

*Over the last decade or so.

18. 04-09-2019 10:17 PM #67
      Insurance companies work in mysterious ways these days, so I'm not saying that they won't total it. But, from personal experience, this car really has very little damage and can be as good as new again. Looks like it needs a taillight, bumper cover, some door and quarter repair, maybe a wheel, and of course a few suspension parts.
      I'd bet there's no structural damage and the dcc shock is just fine.

This is an R I just used for a swap and all I replaced on the rear suspension was the lower control arm and an upper link. I just got an alignment done last week and it's straight as an arrow. The dcc shock was fine, and except for it being curled up right at the point of impact, the rear pan wasn't bad either.

OP, find the best body shop in your area and it'll be fine. Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
      Last edited by 20vTa4; 04-09-2019 at 10:19 PM.

04-10-2019 02:03 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vTa4 View Post
      Insurance companies work in mysterious ways these days, so I'm not saying that they won't total it. But, from personal experience, this car really has very little damage and can be as good as new again. Looks like it needs a taillight, bumper cover, some door and quarter repair, maybe a wheel, and of course a few suspension parts.
      I'd bet there's no structural damage and the dcc shock is just fine.

This is an R I just used for a swap and all I replaced on the rear suspension was the lower control arm and an upper link. I just got an alignment done last week and it's straight as an arrow. The dcc shock was fine, and except for it being curled up right at the point of impact, the rear pan wasn't bad either.

OP, find the best body shop in your area and it'll be fine. Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
      Are you going to make a golf out of the donor R?

Cars
      One SUV, One CUV
      04-10-2019 08:14 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Are you going to make a golf out of the donor R?
      Threadjack - it’s already been rebuilt as a Jetta R
      Click his username and look for the thread. It’s nuts.

21. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-10-2019 09:59 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      Instagram - efrie004

22. 04-10-2019 10:09 AM #71
      I just checked his thread. You're incorrect. It's actually a Golf R Variant he's built.

However, now that the Jetta is on MQB I'm wondering how/if that would work?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

23. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      04-10-2019 10:29 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by MediocreCanadian View Post
      I just checked his thread. You're incorrect. It's actually a Golf R Variant he's built.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      Should work just fine.

Just like Lego's.
      Instagram - efrie004

24. Senior Member
      04-10-2019 10:41 AM #73
      Car is new enough, perhaps OP’s policy covers OEM parts for first four years - that is an additional premium on the policy, but worth it if you have to use it.
      Required by law in some places, was pleasantly surprised to find that out when I moved here. Car was almost 3 years old, but due to being an early 2012 still fell into 2 model years must get genuine parts due to model year law. I had asked the adjuster to let me supply an OE fender (have dealer accounts) if they took that cost out of my deductible and he was like no worries I am only allowed to authorize use of OE ones

Worth checking into for anyone in an accident in a new car, it isn't all states but a few do have this.

Quote Originally Posted by MediocreCanadian View Post

That's not how MQB works, not getting off topic with this.. but MQB doesn't dictate anything related to making that swap possible.

25. 04-10-2019 10:44 AM #74
      My R was totaled after being hit in the same area (passenger side). The damage never looked bad and the initial estimate was only a few grand. Body shop started taking the car apart which uncovered more damage and my insurance totaled it.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...3-16-R-totaled

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      04-10-2019 11:30 AM #75
      I have to imagine insurance companies mean a lot here. Geico will still fix up to 80% of the cars value I believe where other companies are 50-60%

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast