VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1.6 N/A Injector leaks at seats, pump surging back to idle

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Muldermutt 
#1 ·
Hello,

First question: a few of my injectors are leaking a little from their seats. There is some pitting in the aluminum seat that the heat shield washer mates with, even after cleaning. Has anybody used copper coat or the like to get the surfaces of the injector seat and the bottom of the heat shield washer to mate? I tried buying an injector seat cutting tool but none of the sizes matched. Yes I have tried cleaning real good and yes I have tried using new washers. Any other ideas?

Second question, after I let up on the throttle, the IP lurches / surges back to idle. It's not a clean drop back to idle, even though the spring mechanism on top of the pump returns right away, it's as if fuel continues to be delivered. Does the fuel delivery screw on the back of the pump need adjusting?

Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, it's a naturally aspirated diesel. I will contact my machine shop about the injector seats.

Any idea on the injection pump? It does not return back to idle right away, but slowly as if you had let up off the pedal slowly. The spring throttle on top of the pump jumps right back to the stop*screw immediately however.

And then as it idles, I can also sometimes hear a slow rise in idle rpms.

Could it have anything to do with the spring mentioned in this post? https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3190912

#6 ·
I picked up some locktite 620 and new copper washers to try to get the injectors to seal. Once the rain stops I'm going to tackle it. I called all the machine shops in town and nobody had the cutting tool / wanted to touch it. Folks were calling me crazy, like I was imaging the blow-by. Saying even with pitting in the injector seat a steel heat shield washer should seal. Yeah, it "should" seal up dry but its nearly 40 years old, and has been rebuilt after god knows how many miles, so it's not gonna be perfect. One of the shops suggested I try this particular locktite, as it has worked for them in the past. I'm hoping the locktited copper "fills" the gaps. And if it doesn't, I don't know how I'm ever going to get the washer out...

I know it's not ideal, but if I can't get the head machined and I can't get new washers to seal dry, what else is there to try?

Anyway, I would still love to hear any ideas about the injection pump not returning to idle. I will continue to share the results in case anyone has similar issues.

#7 ·
I walked down to the corner and I paid Madame Guzzangas 75 cents to look into her crystal ball.

In it, I saw you. You were wearing a gray t-shirt.

You used little pieces of cloth and a needle nosed pliers to stuff the injector holes closed with the cloth.

You had purchased some adequately-sized wooden dowel at the local hardware store.

You also bought some 220 grit sandpaper.

You used super glue to adhese the sandpaper (cut-to-size) to the end of the wooden dowel.

You inserted the wooden dowel into the hole.

You gently pushed it to the bottom of the hole. You concentrated while you held the dowel as flat as possible in the hole.

You used the palm of both hands to rotate the wooden dowel in circular motions.

Occasionally, you pulled out the dowel to check your surface.

I smiled and said, "....that boy is sure inventive!"

My 75 cents were up. I suspect you carefully blew out the injector hole and removed the stuffed cloth.....although, I am not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.