VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

PCV / Suction Pump replacement

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  B1-16V 
#1 ·
So after finding my stock air box was askew and likely operating not entirely closed for who knows how long, I imagine that was probably affecting my PCV and/or Suction Pump as well. After looking at both of them, they are quite old and the hoses are all covered in a fine layer of oily residue and who knows how well (if at all) they are working.

My quandary is this: go budget or better? It’s a 205,000 mile example in great condition, but that’s still a pretty high mileage vehicle to be upgrading. The stock hoses and rubber is so crappy in the first place, I can’t imagine it’s a huge step down to go eBay budget vendor. So it’ll either be under $70 in parts (I’m buying the whole tube bundle for each job, not just the PCV check valve and the suction pump) or like $250 if I go the 034 silicone PCV and stock Audi/VW suction pump hose and valve replacement route.

I’ll probably throw a new PRV hockey puck in there too just to get the crankcase breathing correctly.

Let me also say I don’t currently have nor have had any check engine lights. I can get access to vagcom but haven’t used it in a while, and have an old but working obd2 scanner at home (which I used to track down dead coilpacks).

Thoughts?! Other things I should do while I’m in there??? Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Don’t all speak at once.......now I’m throwing around the idea of just venting to atmosphere. I’ve read a lot of people stating they’ll just vent mk4 golfs/mk1 TTs crankcase “to the ground,” and I can see how you might do that on the top, but I’m looking for a total simplification of the system - any ideas, links, tips/tricks?

Also seeing lots of folks who jimmy up a catch can set up but nobody can agree on how it hooks up, which tells me it’s almost certainly being done wrong a lot of the time. I just want to remove the crappy PCV check valve and faulty suction pump from the equation and am willing to make the car “off-road only” in order to do so, please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What did you end up doing?

I went with the 034 silicone kit for my BEA. Very happy I did. And like you, I had no Check engine Lights either. I was very amazed at how bad the old OEM tubing was. It was hanging in place with electricians tape :mad:

The part I'd love to get rid of is the silly air pump thing. It really makes what should be an easy oil change so much more difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.