Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
      Cars
      07 x5
      03-22-2019 09:46 PM #1
      You may remember me from such threads as:

"Sell the tiguan and buy an fj?"
      "Should I diesel swap my mk1 TT?"

Well I traded the tiguan for an e70 4.8 x5 and am in the process of parting out the TT.

Clearly I make great life choices...

So it should come as no surprise boating is my favourite activity.

Seeing the return of Barry and his amazingly detailed build threads/adventures in rebuilding things has inspired me to take TCL on my journey of buying this everyday aluminum runabout and turning it into less of a dumpster fire.

Follow along as I slowly lose my mind...
      When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-22-2019 09:52 PM #2
      In for this!

Boats are a great way to make money disappear. I got into boating a couple years ago. Got hooked on oldish direct drive ski boats.

4. Member
      Cars
      2015 Focus ST
      03-22-2019 09:53 PM #3
      At least when it turns into a dumpster fire you should be on the water.

How much do can a little boat like that take?
      Wearing a disguise, and pretending to be someone else?

That goes against all my instincts as a actor...

5. Member
      Cars
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      03-22-2019 10:01 PM #4
      Looks like a '75 Mercury -- either 40 or 50 hp.

My family had one of those on our little runabout when I was growing up!

Cars
      07 x5
      03-22-2019 10:22 PM #5
      Well this story starts when the better half and I bought a house on the Columbia river. Don't get me wrong, a house on the river is sweet, but this isn't Astoria. This is basically where the Columbia starts. I can throw a stone maybe 1/25th across it. Pretty cool right? Wrong... many undertows, odd currents and shallow spots.

For months after we purchased the house we envied everyone cruising up and down the river from the small beaches we could walk to. Didn't matter if it was a $100,000 aluminum jet boat with all the bells and whistles, or a 12 foot open bow with a 20hp tiller. We weren't on the river, and everyone else was...

A friend/coworker mentioned that he would sell me a boat (the one in the pictures) for $1000 canadian dollars (aka free). This ol' springbok was built by Alcan which would eventually consolidate into the now Princecraft boats. His father bought it new, they had a ton of memories in it and finally he gave it to his son. However, he is much more of an open bow/tinner style boat guy and was ok with passing a deal on to a friend. It came with a late 60s emaciated 35hp mercury.

Growing up in a lake dwelling/occasional ocean exploring family (dad had a 20ft ocean boat) boating wasn't exactly new to me. I'd navigated ocean inlets and been at the helm while many large fish
      were brought aboard. However, launching my own boat in a river I'd never been on was a very daunting task. The upper picture in the original post being my maiden voyage.

The 35hp was fine for a while. It served us ok as all we did was cruise upriver to the only sandbar on the river to hangout and let the dog runaround. The lower shaft had a slight bend so it leaked a small amount of oil as the engine was in the lowered position. Most wouldnt care, but it bothered me. Lifting the engine everytime we wanted to float to mitigate oil loss and water migration into the lower leg got tiresome, as well as the fact that it lacked a charging circuit.

We enjoyed it a while as I hunted for a more suitable engine for what the boat was going to be used for...

Cars
      07 x5
      03-22-2019 10:34 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I'd love to answer this question, if only I could understand it...

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      03-22-2019 10:54 PM #7
      Do it!

Cars
      2001 Accord
      03-22-2019 11:18 PM #8
      Boats was probably 3 or 4 on the list of things I expected when opening this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      every on ramp was full of the sound of evil thunder consuming the spent souls of thousands of dinosaurs a minute.

10. Member
      Cars
      2015 Focus ST
      03-23-2019 10:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by FullyLoadedCarat View Post
      I'd love to answer this question, if only I could understand it...
      Autocorrect got me.

How much hp can a boat like that take or handle.

03-23-2019 11:30 AM #10
      How much doo can a little boat doo if a little boat could doo doo

Keeps with the dumpster fire theme.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-23-2019 11:36 AM #11
      Aren’t all boats basically lounges?

Also allow me to be first.

(New avatar for the OP perhaps??)
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 12:01 PM #12
      Autocorrect got me.

How much hp can a boat like that take or handle.
      The hull has a stamped max rating of 37kw or roughly 50hp.

There is no way that old 35 actually had its rated power. It was extremely temperamental, hard to start and had a pretty weak impeller. The local boat shop told me not to spend anything on it.

So the search for a bigger, newer motor began. And since I only spent $1000 on the boat itself, I could hardly justify anything remotely new. Which meant hours (arguably wasted) searching facebook groups, local classifieds, craigslist and hounding every "boat guy" I knew if they had a line on anything. Meanwhile, the 35hp got worse. The vulcanized rubber hub that the propeller is fused to started to slip. That meant under any load, the boat didnt like to move and the motor liked to spontaneously over-rev. Less than ideal for river travel.

Shortly after all that occurred I replied to an ad about a 1978 Evinrude 55hp. Stated that all the controls were there and that there were even a couple extra fuel tanks to go along with it. Even sweeter was the $500 price tag. Pulled out some cash and made arrangements to go take a look at it. Of course as all things that look too good to be true, there was a problem, albeit a small one. The boat this engine had been on previously got caught in a wind storm and was bashed into shore, only to then have a tree fall on it and complete the job. The tree had also manage to bust the fiberglass engine cover. Upon inspection it proved to be purely cosmetic, but a bit of a bummer nontheless. The gentleman the proceeds to tell me that we're actually at his parents house and they want this engine gone something fierce. "Shrewd negotiating tactics engage". We do the haggle thing for all of 2 minutes and it's loaded into the back of my truck and I'm $300 lighter.

Now, the jump from 35 to 55 seems extreme, especially when you factor in what the difference in weight between these two motors must be. 20lbs

I could live with 20lbs. Just means the cooler goes at the front of the boat now.

The 55 really woke the boat up. After cleaning the carbs out twice of course, and some new fuel line. No longer did it struggle to get on plane going up river, it got out with authority. Even when loaded with 4 people a dog and the aforementioned cooler. Fuel economy stayed roughly the same as the larger engine doesn't need to work nearly as hard while getting us where we were going faster, and it was actually in great running shape. The engine swap allowed us to enjoy that last month and a half of the season in 2017.

14. Member
      Cars
      '19 5500, '15 1500, '98 5.3L TJ, '01 DT466 4700LP
      03-23-2019 12:02 PM #13
      Congrats on buying a boat, that's almost the best part of the whole experience, second only to that amazing day you finally sell it.

Congrats to your friends that get to show up & go boating on your behalf, they're the true winners.

Cars
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 12:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Aren’t all boats basically lounges?

Cars
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 12:08 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Congrats on buying a boat, that's almost the best part of the whole experience, second only to that amazing day you finally sell it.

Congrats to your friends that get to show up & go boating on your behalf, they're the true winners.
      Thanks!

We actually bought it in 2017, but I figured a build thread was in order as I've got some work slated for it this spring.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-23-2019 12:15 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

18. Member
      Cars
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      03-23-2019 12:16 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Do it!
      gee... 90K for the v8
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

19. Member
      Cars
      2015 Focus ST
      03-23-2019 12:17 PM #18

There is no way that old 35 actually had its rated power. It was extremely temperamental, hard to start and had a pretty weak impeller. The local boat shop told me not to spend anything on it.

So the search for a bigger, newer motor began. And since I only spent $1000 on the boat itself, I could hardly justify anything remotely new. Which meant hours (arguably wasted) searching facebook groups, local classifieds, craigslist and hounding every "boat guy" I knew if they had a line on anything. Meanwhile, the 35hp got worse. The vulcanized rubber hub that the propeller is fused to started to slip. That meant under any load, the boat didnt like to move and the motor liked to spontaneously over-rev. Less than ideal for river travel.

Shortly after all that occurred I replied to an ad about a 1978 Evinrude 55hp. Stated that all the controls were there and that there were even a couple extra fuel tanks to go along with it. Even sweeter was the $500 price tag. Pulled out some cash and made arrangements to go take a look at it. Of course as all things that look too good to be true, there was a problem, albeit a small one. The boat this engine had been on previously got caught in a wind storm and was bashed into shore, only to then have a tree fall on it and complete the job. The tree had also manage to bust the fiberglass engine cover. Upon inspection it proved to be purely cosmetic, but a bit of a bummer nontheless. The gentleman the proceeds to tell me that we're actually at his parents house and they want this engine gone something fierce. "Shrewd negotiating tactics engage". We do the haggle thing for all of 2 minutes and it's loaded into the back of my truck and I'm $300 lighter.

Now, the jump from 35 to 55 seems extreme, especially when you factor in what the difference in weight between these two motors must be. 20lbs

I could live with 20lbs. Just means the cooler goes at the front of the boat now.

The 55 really woke the boat up. After cleaning the carbs out twice of course, and some new fuel line. No longer did it struggle to get on plane going up river, it got out with authority. Even when loaded with 4 people a dog and the aforementioned cooler. Fuel economy stayed roughly the same as the larger engine doesn't need to work nearly as hard while getting us where we were going faster, and it was actually in great running shape. The engine swap allowed us to enjoy that last month and a half of the season in 2017.
      Cool. Sounds like you got something nice there to play with.

20. Member
      Cars
      '09 335d
      03-23-2019 12:59 PM #19
      Most of these replies must be from people who have actually never owned a boat before. Or bought a hunk off Craigslist, wanted to join their buddies out on the weekends, said Craigslist boat lived up to the hype and left them stranded, lol..

I think my boat is probably the one thing that doesn't cost me money (Besides the want/need to outfit it with the latest electronics and fishing toys).

Good kill OP, Those make great big water boats. I remember seeing them out trolling Lake Ontario when I was a kid. Console way up front leaves you a lot of room in the back to do whatever you want.

Cars
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 01:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Most of these replies must be from people who have actually never owned a boat before. Or bought a hunk off Craigslist, wanted to join their buddies out on the weekends, said Craigslist boat lived up to the hype and left them stranded, lol..

I think my boat is probably the one thing that doesn't cost me money (Besides the want/need to outfit it with the latest electronics and fishing toys).

Good kill OP, Those make great big water boats. I remember seeing them out trolling Lake Ontario when I was a kid. Console way up front leaves you a lot of room in the back to do whatever you want.

Thats a beautiful rig!

I would second that my boat doesn't really cost me money as far as vehicles go. Religious maintenance makes it pretty reliable out there. That and a day of fun only usually costs 30 or 40 bucks in fuel/oil.

03-23-2019 02:51 PM #21
      Sounds like you got something nice there to play with.
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      leaves you a lot of room in the back to do whatever you want.
      I'm beginning to think 'boating' means something different than I originally thought........
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      03-23-2019 03:53 PM #22
      Congrats - I boating!
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

RareSportBikesForSale.com | German Cars For Sale Blog

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition, 2013 Honda CB500X
      03-23-2019 04:24 PM #23
      In the summer of 2010 I spent a day on Crystal Lake in Ellington with my buddy in his 1969 Starcraft, which looks just like your boat. That day was one of the best days of my life, which I remember fondly. There 4 of us on this tiny boat with a 40hp motor and barely enough room to sit, but damn if it wasn't one of the most fun things I've ever done. We had a 30 rack of Bud, a tube, and wooden skis that were as old as the boat. I have a pic somewhere of Justin, the boat owner, on those wooden skis behind the boat, one hand on the rope, a bud in the other, wearing a cowboy hat and aviators, and toasting the police boat as we cruised by them.

I tried to revive the spirit by purchasing an inflatable in the summer of 2014, but after five outtings that whole summer I learned I couldn't recapture the magic of a perfect day.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      03-23-2019 04:50 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelstand View Post
      gee... 90K for the v8
      Yeah but 627 hp out of a supercharged v8.
      Granted it probably weighs as much as the op boat...

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-23-2019 05:16 PM #25
      Boats? I love boats.

I’ll get back to you if I hit the Powerball tonight.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast