Fourtitude.com - Turbo R32 build.. all ideas welcome
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32 // 2009 Tundra
      03-20-2019 09:55 AM #1
      Hey everyone, wanted to get a thread going on my build in hopes the information can help others, and so that i can show everyone what im going to be up to.

Right now i'm basically in the part collecting stage, i've got mostly everything (i think) researched and laid out to what i'm picking up to put this setup together. It's somewhat of a custom build, and i'm looking to be 450-500whp on high boost.

Id love for any help as to things i might be over looking or missing, or just general pieces of advice from anyone who wants to add.

Car is currently cammed, 264/260's
      Car is running a fluidampr

-T4 Precision 6266 ball bearing
      (still not decided on AR size, .68 or .81, would love any real world feedback on this and what differences in boost characteristics i can expect)
      -630cc injectors
      -46mm Vband precision WG
      -8.5-1 headspacer
      -Inline fuel pump
      -4" MAF
      -UM tuning

-Coated rod bearings
      -ARP rod bolts

-HEP SRI intake manifold
      -HEP intercooler

-Custom 3" vband downpipe, with WG return into exhaust, into 3" catless

-DKM MS Series clutch and flywheel

While it's apart:

-SAI delete
      -Catch can
      -Eboost street EBC
      -Crackpipe, waterpump, thermostat and housing
      -Probably gunna tackle timing chain service as well, will be getable with trans out.. No chain stretch via VCDS but, again, might as well?

So, that's my layout. The install work and custom plumbing is all being done by a fantastic shop in NH and by a guy that has done these types of builds many times.

I just saw in this sub forum a post by a guy with essentially the same setup in a 3.2swapped mk3, made 420whp on 14psi with the stock intake mani.

I would be plenty happy hitting those numbers on low boost (14psi) but i have a feeling with the cams, damper and SRI, low boost might make closer to 450? Then high boost (18-20psi) id like to see where that brings me... My entire goal is to keep this build south of the transmission threshold. I don't really have a definitive answer on what that is on these cars but i know you get into it much more the more north of 500 you go. I don't track the car, it's my fun weekend car, and will be daily driven on low boost.

Anything i'm over looking or missing on? Any and all advice is welcome. I want to make sure i try and cover everything because i only wanna do this once. Reliable, simple and clean turbo build that can make upper 400's whp.

pics of said car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      BMP R
      03-20-2019 02:05 PM #2
      Remember, on a FI car the incoming air is under pressure but the exhaust is not. This, you could even go up to a 268/272. Make the exhaust larger than the intake.

Nemesis R700 700+ HP Turbo build | Facebook Build Page | Built not Bought

Cars
      03-20-2019 02:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by tmoura View Post
      Remember, on a FI car the incoming air is under pressure but the exhaust is not. This, you could even go up to a 268/272. Make the exhaust larger than the intake.

Right, my only thing with this situation is i've had the cams in there for several years now, and didn't want to change them up. It definitely makes sense to have your exhaust cam larger for FI. I remember initially reading about the TT cams before i got them that the gains on FI cars was said to be more than what they would make on a NA motor. Do you think having the larger intake cam will affect performance in a negative way? or just that it won't be as effective as having a larger exhaust cam?

Last edited by osin34; 03-20-2019 at 02:30 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      BMP R
      03-20-2019 03:10 PM #4
      It's not going to hurt anything, but it doesn't help with your FI wants. Also, there's going to be a ton of little things you're going to miss and have to order and wait to get in. If you can make sure you try and think of all of the little parts, fittings, hoses, tools whatever you might need that the shop might not offer up as part of the install. Like, do you want to use a 3 port solenoid or a 4 port that offers greater control etc.
      Nemesis R700 700+ HP Turbo build | Facebook Build Page | Built not Bought

Cars
      03-20-2019 03:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by tmoura View Post
      It's not going to hurt anything, but it doesn't help with your FI wants. Also, there's going to be a ton of little things you're going to miss and have to order and wait to get in. If you can make sure you try and think of all of the little parts, fittings, hoses, tools whatever you might need that the shop might not offer up as part of the install. Like, do you want to use a 3 port solenoid or a 4 port that offers greater control etc.
      great advice man, thank you. My written spreadsheet on my computer is far more detailed than the basic description above, and that's where i'm trying to come up with all of those little things that you're talking about. I should probably order plenty of vacuum line, make sure i've got all the fittings i'll need for feed and return (supposed to come from CTS with the turbo and exhaust mani with the kit) catch can stuff... so many parts and pieces

8. 04-18-2019 07:29 PM #6
      Nice

I do recommend .81 as many says ideal for street I am using .88, this size of a turbo 15 psi 500+ hp engine easy
      I dont think you've missed something ..

Cars
      04-18-2019 11:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MOOMO View Post
      Nice

I do recommend .81 as many says ideal for street I am using .88, this size of a turbo 15 psi 500+ hp engine easy
      I dont think you've missed something ..
      awesome, thanks so much for the reply. Glad to know i seem to be in the ball park. Actually just received my first official piece of this build today.. Vito @ e9performance had an extra piece of HEP front bumper rebar in wrinkle black hanging around so i grabbed it from him. Will fit the 10” tall intercooler from HEP perfectly behind the bumper without touching the side grilles at all..

10. 04-21-2019 09:07 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by osin34 View Post
      awesome, thanks so much for the reply. Glad to know i seem to be in the ball park. Actually just received my first official piece of this build today.. Vito @ e9performance had an extra piece of HEP front bumper rebar in wrinkle black hanging around so i grabbed it from him. Will fit the 10” tall intercooler from HEP perfectly behind the bumper without touching the side grilles at all..

be careful with your intercooler pipes by mistake I've chosien 3 inch and bumper wont fit lol

Cars
      05-02-2019 09:16 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MOOMO View Post
      be careful with your intercooler pipes by mistake I've chosien 3 inch and bumper wont fit lol
      Haha I will.. all the boost plumbing, intake plumbing and downpipe are gunna be custom fabbed at the time of install so i should be able to avoid that happening

12. 05-09-2019 10:07 PM #10
      Hi
      Be careful with the head spacer installation , your gonna have to elongate the timing chain by one link, use a link of the old chain

13. 05-09-2019 10:19 PM #11
      Hi
      you will also find difficulty (probably impossible) locating an inter cooler pipe to fit onto the throttle body. we ordered a 3" alloy inter cooler pipe inserted it into the throttle body , put two screw through to hold in place and used welding compound to seal it. then we could install a 3 inch inter cooler silicone pipe onto it.

14. 05-09-2019 10:23 PM #12
      you will also need to run a vacuum pump and pressure switch for the brakes , since your inlet will oscillate between boost and vacuum, just use one from a golf 5 with a BLX engine and get a pressure switch of ebay .
      its preferable also if you can run pre cat oxey sensor before the turbo (in the exhaust manifold)
      Last edited by vdubsrus1; 05-09-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Cars
      05-10-2019 07:42 AM #13
      thanks for the tips..