Fourtitude.com - 2019 Jetta Transmission Update
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1. Junior Member
      04-02-2019 06:24 PM #51
      The regional manager called me today and told that she is trying to get some information from the dealer and will contact me tomorrow. I think it would be really weird if she says that they will not do it, but will see what is going to happen.

At least, I am glad that the issue was addressed and there is a solution. So far, this is the only complaint about the car I have (except that I am supposed to add oil to the engine).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-02-2019 08:35 PM #52
      So I got my car back today, the dealer will not do the update. So I will have to call VW Care again. I saw the TCM 37l7 update description and it does address the 450 hz vibration. The release of the the update was nov 2018.
      There a tech tip bulletin topic 32-18-01TT that addresses the noise. It states that all 2019 Jettas are affected and is a normal characteristic of the torque converter stator as the torque converter clutch is applied.

Off to call VW Care........

4. 04-03-2019 07:39 PM #53
      If you guys don't mind can I have your VIN number so I can ask the dealer or VW America for the update. they are saying there is no such thing called as 37L7 please someone reply. I'm frustrated with VW

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      04-04-2019 10:34 AM #54
      I am still waiting for regional manager's response (she actually promised to get back to me yesterday). So, I am in the same position as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaboicars View Post
      If you guys don't mind can I have your VIN number so I can ask the dealer or VW America for the update. they are saying there is no such thing called as 37L7 please someone reply. I'm frustrated with VW

7. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-04-2019 10:58 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael50861 View Post
      I am still waiting for regional manager's response (she actually promised to get back to me yesterday). So, I am in the same position as you are.
      These regional manger's are useless. VW care is useless. It seems VW Care does not have have the same info as the dealers... so how can they help?! My rep talk to me yesterday and quoted me the tech tip bulletin topic 32-18-01TT that the dealer did. I asked about 37L7 and they had no clue. The rep said that they will have to look into so I am also waiting to here back by this Friday. Went on Reddit and join the "class action lawsuit" topic to see if anyone knew about 37L7. Someone said that this is a mask for the noise but not a fix. This is looking like the "diesel scam" but with junk converters.
      I wonder if the vibrations the torque converter is giving off caused some of those trans leaks that people had.

8. Junior Member
      04-04-2019 11:30 AM #56
      I suggested that there will be a class action at the first place when this issue came up. People here doubted that. But come on, it is the U.S., suing country. Of course, there will be a class action because an average car does not do it. It is an implied warranty issue. But will see what is going to happen. I think they do not do recall because it would be considered as the admission of fault. Easy case for any law firm. The law firm just needs to find as many people as possible to have a good position in settlement negotiations (and get its 33.3% eventually).

Regarding the VW care. So far, they were nice to me and helpful. Will see what will be the result of my interaction with them. And it is frustrating because you need to spend your time on that, whereas the car should not have this issue at the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jetta19 View Post
      These regional manger's are useless. VW care is useless. It seems VW Care does not have have the same info as the dealers... so how can they help?! My rep talk to me yesterday and quoted me the tech tip bulletin topic 32-18-01TT that the dealer did. I asked about 37L7 and they had no clue. The rep said that they will have to look into so I am also waiting to here back by this Friday. Went on Reddit and join the "class action lawsuit" topic to see if anyone knew about 37L7. Someone said that this is a mask for the noise but not a fix. This is looking like the "diesel scam" but with junk converters.
      I wonder if the vibrations the torque converter is giving off caused some of those trans leaks that people had.

9. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta Rline
      04-04-2019 02:36 PM #57
      my dealer said the same thing...all they have on record is 37L3...which was done on my vehicle

Cars
      2019 Jetta R-Line Platinum Gray Metallic
      04-04-2019 04:00 PM #58
      I'm not jazzed to start posting my VIN but I can share this - direct clip from scan of my service paperwork. This doesn't tell your techs how to find it, but it confirms that dealership put those exact letters 37L7 in writing and it must exist:

11. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-04-2019 06:00 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
      I'm not jazzed to start posting my VIN but I can share this - direct clip from scan of my service paperwork. This doesn't tell your techs how to find it, but it confirms that dealership put those exact letters 37L7 in writing and it must exist:

Do you notice ant difference in shifting, rpm and 5th gear noise?

Cars
      04-04-2019 10:21 PM #60
      Do you notice ant difference in shifting, rpm and 5th gear noise?
      See my full response on the end of page 2. It seems to run better yes.

13. 04-05-2019 09:30 AM #61
      Sweet dude thanks for that ! That’s better than the vin

14. Junior Member
      04-05-2019 02:46 PM #62
      Ok people.

I have just talk to my regional manager. Long story short – she refused to direct the dealership or do the update by herself (or through VW representative) mainly relying on the bulletin.

First, she said that the “annoying noise” is a feature of this model year Jetta (she did not answer why then they apply it to new cars if it is the feature? Only Jettas sold in 2018 have this feature?).

Second, she said that they are still researching whether the update works. And they cannot guaranty the result. I said that I do not demand the guaranty. Rather, I would like to have it applied to my car with no complaints if it does not work.

Finally, she also claimed that there is no a single example VW directed dealership or do the update by itself for free. So, I would be very grateful if you guys let me know where (what your state or city) you got the update installed by a dealer, as a result of VW order, or got it installed by VW representative. I do not need VINs, dealer’s names, personal info etc.; just tell me state or city. Again, I would be grateful!

Thank you!

15. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-05-2019 03:32 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
      See my full response on the end of page 2. It seems to run better yes.
      Another question. Have you notice a higher rpm than before and/or increased rev hang? Have the shift points changed, especially 5th? From what I heard, the software increases the rpm to try and eliminate the vibration. I feel this is more of a band-aid on a junk converter. Not sure if it is worth my time pursuing this through the BBB if this update is only to mask the noise and not fix the real issue.

16. Junior Member
      04-05-2019 03:40 PM #64
      I did a quick research and it seems like the transmission is defective. I.e., it is not software, it is hardware. I am going to file a complaint with NHTSA.

Here is more information
      https://www.reddit.com/r/jetta/comme...grattle_noise/

17. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 VW Jetta Execline
      04-06-2019 11:52 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by boxcpl View Post
      So its just a bad coding job on their end when it shows in multiple places that you are retaining the powertrain from previous into the new one, but the one specifically on the speedometer is showing that the car automatically always reverts back to normal.

Very cool to know, I just assume when I read the emblem in the cockpit or the name on the infotainment center that I was retaining the powertrain from before. Thanks for sharing.
      An update to hopefully help. I’m at my VW dealer for service and talked to one of the sales guys and he asked how I liked my car I said great except that whenever I change drive modes (Eco, Sport, Normal or Custom) it does not save upon restart.

He said all you need to do is save it under your driver profile. I will be trying that later and will update all.

If anyone tries before me please let us know if that works.

Dave
      2019 Jetta Execline (aka SEL) 1.4L
      Dave
      2019 Jetta Execline (aka SEL) 1.4L

Cars
      04-07-2019 12:43 AM #66
      I did a quick research and it seems like the transmission is defective. I.e., it is not software, it is hardware. I am going to file a complaint with NHTSA.

Here is more information
      https://www.reddit.com/r/jetta/comme...grattle_noise/
      Ok - I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer or anything else like that. But I'm not so simply convinced this is a mechanical defect just because some thread on reddit...

I had the issue.
      I got software update 37L7 and I no longer have the issue. And, since it's been a few more days I have more details - and I think it's strange to say the least but I'm not jumping to the "defect" conclusion.

BEFORE the "fix" the car would lug around in 5th (per the display if I flipped over to manual) at 30-35mph and 1200 RPM or so. And make that awful noise like a bicycle that's slipping off the derailleur but at a low pitch not chinky like a bike.

AFTER the fix, I notice that the car sometimes drives in 6th (yes sixth not 5th) at 30-35mph and 1200RPM and when I tap the gas, it SHIFTS to 5th at around 1500-1600RPM and does not make any odd noises.

So I think the noise was clearly mechnical, but I think it was in fact caused by faulty software. As if the computer was telling the car "dude, you're in 5th" when really the car was not in 5th, but somehow stuck in limbo between 5th and 6th leading to a) grinding/noise, and b) no action/acceleration on depressing the pedal. Only by really mashing it or manually shifting to 4th did it feel normal again. The software update (since there is one, it must patch SOMETHING right?) seems to have realigned the transmission and the transmission control module to agree what gear it's in and when. So now it correctly senses "yes, I'm in 6th" and "dude wants to accelerate, hop into 5th" where at 1600RPM there is torque to be had.

Ok. It's late, and again I am not a mechanic or otherwise qualified to dissect a car. But this is my observation and take that for what it's worth.

19. 04-07-2019 12:56 AM #67
      Sounds like the update changed the Transmission shifting points in the TCM. For better overall power and driveability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 04-07-2019 03:40 AM #68
      Ok people.

I have just talk to my regional manager. Long story short – she refused to direct the dealership or do the update by herself (or through VW representative) mainly relying on the bulletin.

First, she said that the “annoying noise” is a feature of this model year Jetta (she did not answer why then they apply it to new cars if it is the feature? Only Jettas sold in 2018 have this feature?).

Second, she said that they are still researching whether the update works. And they cannot guaranty the result. I said that I do not demand the guaranty. Rather, I would like to have it applied to my car with no complaints if it does not work.

Finally, she also claimed that there is no a single example VW directed dealership or do the update by itself for free. So, I would be very grateful if you guys let me know where (what your state or city) you got the update installed by a dealer, as a result of VW order, or got it installed by VW representative. I do not need VINs, dealer’s names, personal info etc.; just tell me state or city. Again, I would be grateful!

Thank you!
      Go on Facebook and search 2019 VW jetta. There’s an owners group, and this was one of the topics. In one of the discussions I posted a screenshot of my service receipt. I demanded 37L7 be installed in my vehicle even though it wasn’t technically applicable because it wasn’t an unsold unit. They did it anyways and my screenshot is undeniable proof.

21. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta Rline
      04-08-2019 12:08 AM #69
      Erasmo Artur

"My 2016 audi a3 1.4 does the same. It occurs only in low RPM with a speed range about 40~60 km/h. Pretty annoying."

22. Junior Member
      04-10-2019 11:53 AM #70
      Hello everyone!

Yesterday, I got my transmission software updated!

As I mentioned earlier, last Friday the regional manager refused to do the update (see my previous message). I requested to talk to her supervisor. I also contacted the VW care via Chat and ask the representative to add the record to file that I requested to talk to the regional manger’s supervisor. The supervisor called yesterday and said that they would ask my dealer to do the update. Hopefully my car was already at my dealer (I dropped it for another reason in the morning). The service guy called me and told that they got approval and, among other things, performed the software update. I have "the 37L7 transmission update" language in my paper work.

About the car behavior after update. I would say that the level of noise was decreased by 75%, but not totally eliminated. Because I get used to it, I know when to listen. So, I hear the 25% (after car kicks the 5 gear). Sometimes it is louder. Now, it is near appropriate, but I still do not believe that this type of transmission noise (and operation) is normal.

23. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-10-2019 12:54 PM #71
      My regional rep Cadrianna D. will not budge on this. I also demanded to speak to her supervisor. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow. Also contacted the NHTSA again, about this issue as well. Will file a complaint to BBB. The is my first VW, definitely my last one too.....

24. Junior Member
      04-10-2019 01:47 PM #72
      Agree! I would like to hear something like: yes, it is not normal that the car makes this noise and we would be happy to fix that by applying the update. We appreciate that you spend your personal time on this matter and we are sorry for the inconvenience." instead, I was tried to be "hypnosed" that it is 100% normal and, probably, all my other cars did the same. I would understand if a customer complains about something ridiculous (e.g., you know I purchased the car 6 month ago and now I do not like the color tone of the car). But in this case, we have the situation when nearly every car is affected and even dealers confirm "not-normal" noise. Moreover, it could be fixed in 5 minutes. Accordingly, who can blame you if you pass on VW next time. On the other hand, VW is not the only manufacturer doing something like that, unfortunately.

My regional rep Cadrianna D. will not budge on this. I also demanded to speak to her supervisor. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow. Also contacted the NHTSA again, about this issue as well. Will file a complaint to BBB. The is my first VW, definitely my last one too.....

25. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 Jetta S Auto
      04-11-2019 04:41 PM #73
      Well I give up.... nothing is going to get done on mine. VW will not authorize the software update. I know the software does not fix the issue, but at least it would help mask it. "F" VW, I am just going to trade the car in then....

26. Junior Member
      04-11-2019 05:36 PM #74
      My recommendation is to play "the equal treatment" card. I mentioned that in conversation with the regional manager. I told her that I just want to be treated as any other VW customer in the US. I can provide evidence that other customers got the update. Accordingly, it is unfair that I am treated differently comparing to other customers. It is a violation of trade practice and in a way touches fundamental rights protected by federal law.

About trading in. You can do that, but you lose money. if you drive the car for another year, it does not affect the trade-in value much. I.e., the trade-in value now and in one year would be almost the same. So, just drive it for one more year and, maybe latter, VW would do recall or offer the purchase back (unlikely, but still a possibility).

27. 04-13-2019 12:07 PM #75
      My mother in law has a 2019 that also has the noise. I told her about the update, she contacted the dealer and they told her it would not be applied to existing owners and that the noise wouldn't hurt anything (yada yada yada). She asked again when she went in for the spring recall and the manager said "as long as I don't know about it", so they did the update. I asked her if anything changed, and she said no, and that the noise was still there. I'm thinking they lied and didn't do the update.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast