Fourtitude.com - 3.6l 24v VR6 Non interferance or interferance motor?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Member
      Cars
      2002 TT 225 Quattro, 2001 Allroad 2.7t 6spd manual, 2003 Allroad 2.7t tiptronic
      03-13-2019 11:52 PM #26
      I did my B4 Passat Vr6 timing chains & clutch with jack stands and a jack but I saw what you meant when I was prepping everything today. I think what I'm gonna do is remove the front bumper & core support and lower the motor & transmission together then slide them out and finish separate them. I removed the outer cv axles from the hubs and removed the lower swaybar links so I can slide them out with the transmission & motor without removing the inner axles. I already razored the block and cleaned the piston tops & oil pan and got the wire harness removed. I re-intsalled the oil pan but didn't seal it incase more broken tensioner pieces fall in there when I remove the timing cover. I was gonna wait until Friday to get the head from the yard because it'll be 40% off but I may go ahead and get it tomorrow and decarbon the valves and then take it to get resurfaced.

G60ING I saw the Touareg waterpump pulley you were talking about the other day when I was at the yard. When I looked at my waterpump today it seemed like it may be a bigger pulley so I'm not sure it would work.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      03-15-2019 02:15 AM #27
      Yeah I hear you man. I think my neighbor has a hoist I cam borrow. I remember using a motorcycle jack back in the day.

Today I lucked up on a very good head at the junkyard. I took off the original head I had prepped for removal daty before to find that the number 1 cylinder looked like it may have had a coolant leak from maybe a blown headgasket or cracked head so I just didn't take a chance on it however the Pick-A-Part across the street had just got another 3.6l Passat for a total of 2 that they had. After checking out both I settled on an 06 that was previously owned by the department of defense. I had to disassemble everything all over again but it gets a lot easier when you',ve done it before (3rd time for me on this motor). I was very surprised at how little carbon there was and also the cams lined up perfectly on this motor. I figured that the department of defense would have kept up on the maintenance and looked like I was right. Actually it looked like the head may have been replaced or something recently. The car had all the parts that are usually missing on these. Tomorrow I'm gonna de-carbon the head and take it to get resurfaced although I think I may have to take the lower injectors out for the machine shop to do it. After that I'll figure out how I'm gonna get to the side of the head. I think I may be able to just drop the transmission. Is it always absolutely necessary to replace the injector seals on these motors?

4. Member
      Cars
      03-16-2019 02:44 AM #28
      I was able to lower the block & tranny together today (I still had the head removed). With the block & tranny still installed I removed all but 2 of the motor to transmission bolts then I took the car off of the jack stands to see how low the motor and transmission would fit and it was low enough for me to lower the block down onto a 1000lb capacity hardwood dolly I picked up from Harbor Freight with the tranny on the floor jack. I got set back today because when I took the head to the machine shop to get resurfaced I found out they couldn't do it without dismantling it so basically a rebuild. They checked it with a straight edge and it was off but I hadn't got all of the old gasket material off so I bought a scraper specifically for that and got it all off, took it back to get re-checked and it turned out after that to be straight.
      Hopefully I'll have everything back together this weekend or early next week. I'm battling a cold that decided to pop up so that's been slowing me down a little. By the way I found this niceb detailed 3.6l timing chain write here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XysUANvtNJY8bz. Check it out. It has good diagrams and instructions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12