Fourtitude.com - Joining the club: baby on the way and need to trade-in the fleet
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 249
    1. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      5,163
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      03-05-2019 01:56 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Oh and, pro-tip if you want to keep a cool/fun car and have kids.

      Learn how to use a baby wrap/sling. If you don't have the patience to learn how to wrap yourself, get an ergo or pre-fit carrier.

      Seriously guys. Not filling up a trunk with a stroller is key. Your wife will also think you're sexy when you wrap your baby on your chest (other women will think so too).

      We used a stroller maybe 3-4 times since our daughter was born, it's been collecting dust in our basement since she was a couple of months old. We've flown three times (to Hawaii, Florida, Chicago), multiple road trips, groceries, errands, she's always in a wrap, but now she's starting to walk.

      Seriously all we need is a wrap and a backpack, it's a game-changer compared to our friends who are running big SUV's or vans for two kids, and seem to be literally moving each time they go somewhere.

      Sorry for the off-topic, it's just that, a couple of wraps/slings are cheaper than a stroller and you won't have to buy a land yatch to fill up with 500lbs of crap for your 10 lbs baby

      We have a stroller, wrap, and lilly baby. Stroller is nice for tiny babies you keep in the car seat. Wraps and lilly baby are nice for 6+months where a bit more sturdy.

      100% agree on the sheer pile of crap that goes with a baby. Trips to target are a stroller cart train...

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      732
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 01:56 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I agree with them. Loading into a sedan or lowered Jetta isn't ideal. Load your child into each, CUV, SUV, Minvan, Lowered Jetta. Pretty sure we'd all pick a minivan at the end of the day for ease of use. If you don't, it just means your preference for a vehicle out weight convenience.
      I get that it's not ideal for ergonomics, but I've loaded my nieces and nephews before into the Golf R with whatever Gracos my sister uses and it wasn't a problem. Maybe it's because we're short, so we don't have to bend as much?

      Also, this is pure ignorance speaking here, but do kids really need that much stuff? I remember my mom used to use one of those umbrella strollers and a small backpack when I was going up. Have things changed that much in 30 some odd years?

    4. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      5,163
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      03-05-2019 01:58 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I get that it's not ideal for ergonomics, but I've loaded my nieces and nephews before into the Golf R with whatever Gracos my sister uses and it wasn't a problem. Maybe it's because we're short, so we don't have to bend as much?

      Could be. I'm 6'5" and with a 7 month old at 35. So we are a bit behind the baby curve.

    5. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      24,630
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      03-05-2019 02:06 PM #29
      Volvo V60 or V90 XC.

      Done and done.

      If she wasn't against SUV's, I'd suggest a CX-5 or CX-9 GT-R or Signature with the 2.5T. Best non-German options for people who actually care about driving, and the interiors finally measure up.

    6. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      6,974
      Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      03-05-2019 02:06 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Oh and, pro-tip if you want to keep a cool/fun car and have kids.

      Learn how to use a baby wrap/sling. If you don't have the patience to learn how to wrap yourself, get an ergo or pre-fit carrier.

      Seriously guys. Not filling up a trunk with a stroller is key. Your wife will also think you're sexy when you wrap your baby on your chest (other women will think so too).

      We used a stroller maybe 3-4 times since our daughter was born, it's been collecting dust in our basement since she was a couple of months old. We've flown three times (to Hawaii, Florida, Chicago), multiple road trips, groceries, errands, she's always in a wrap, but now she's starting to walk.

      Seriously all we need is a wrap and a backpack, it's a game-changer compared to our friends who are running big SUV's or vans for two kids, and seem to be literally moving each time they go somewhere.

      Sorry for the off-topic, it's just that, a couple of wraps/slings are cheaper than a stroller and you won't have to buy a land yatch to fill up with 500lbs of crap for your 10 lbs baby
      Alternative if you prefer a stroller. Carseat/stroller combo:



      Footprint in the car is no larger than a normal car carrier. It's a bit heavy, but you won't be carrying it much anyways. It's also awesome for air travel.
      Last edited by Nealric; 03-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.

    7. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      6,974
      Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      03-05-2019 02:07 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by audifans View Post
      exactly. The first couple months that you aren't throwing your back out trying to get a car seat into a sedan (because of the higher hip height and ingress of an SUV) you'll thank all of us for this advise. CAN you deal with a sedan? Yes, but why mess with your body trying to contort yourself. Get the SUV you like and enjoy life. Just get one small enough she doesn't feel like she is piloting the Queen Mary


      We often take my STI instead of my wife's SUV because the STI is so much easier to get our son into than the SUV. Lifting a kid up is so much more difficult than just plopping them down.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      823
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      03-05-2019 02:30 PM #32
      Keep the R for yourself. There are only a couple of non-german wagons and the best of them are the V60/V90 Volvos. I understand the hate of an SUV, but maybe a CUV or minivan would be a better choice? She might actually like driving a higher vehicle once she gets used to it.

      Save the money of a 2nd car, you will need it. Kids are expensive and only get more expensive when they get bigger.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      732
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 02:41 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      Keep the R for yourself. There are only a couple of non-german wagons and the best of them are the V60/V90 Volvos. I understand the hate of an SUV, but maybe a CUV or minivan would be a better choice? She might actually like driving a higher vehicle once she gets used to it.

      Save the money of a 2nd car, you will need it. Kids are expensive and only get more expensive when they get bigger.
      Nah, she genuinely hates SUVs. She's spent extended amounts of time in the SRX/XT4 when the ATS was in the shop for its endless list of recalls and repairs. We had my sister's brand new RDX for a week. We've also borrowed my parent's X5M for a long weekend up north. She hated driving every single one of those. To her they feel too bulky, too heavy, too slow and she says riding up high makes her feel like the car is going to fall over in turns. She is definitely not a member of the "small women in giant SUVs" club.

      To answer your suggestion of keeping the Golf R for myself, that is not an option. I find it boring to drive.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.

    10. Banned NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      11,598
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-05-2019 03:21 PM #34
      Tesla model S for her.
      Tesla model 3 for you.

    11. Member goran.gli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2009
      Location
      Niagara Falls, Canada
      Posts
      1,048
      Cars
      2012 Passat VR6 // 2017 Tiguan R-Line // 2007 Audi RS4
      03-05-2019 03:21 PM #35
      how about the new Volvo S60 for her?
      im sure its going to be peppy. Its not german, its not an SUV, you can get that funky light interior, im going to assume it has comfortable seats.

      *not sure if it was already suggested.
      2010 Mini Cooper Horizon Blue A/T (sold)
      2004 Acura TL Satin Silver Metallic A/T (sold)
      2005 VW Jetta GLI Blue Lagoon 6-mt (sold)
      2007 VW Jetta GLI Candy White DSG (sold)

    12. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,455
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      03-05-2019 03:28 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post

      Also, this is pure ignorance speaking here, but do kids really need that much stuff? I remember my mom used to use one of those umbrella strollers and a small backpack when I was going up. Have things changed that much in 30 some odd years?
      No they don't. The only time we truly needed more than that was on weekends away when we would bring a pack & play for her to sleep in. The larger strollers are nice if you are spending your day out on your feet mostly because you can store snacks and diapers in the pockets but 9/10 times the umbrella stroller would have been fine.

    13. Member goran.gli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2009
      Location
      Niagara Falls, Canada
      Posts
      1,048
      Cars
      2012 Passat VR6 // 2017 Tiguan R-Line // 2007 Audi RS4
      03-05-2019 03:29 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Also, this is pure ignorance speaking here, but do kids really need that much stuff? ?
      no.

      trips to in-laws/store will consist of diaper bag and the stroller.
      While they are really young and in a infant seat, just make sure the infant seat clips into the stroller frame.
      When they are out of the infant seat and in a rear-facing convertible seat the list grows to add the seat that came with the stroller originally.
      This is all doe-able in a Golf R.

      My criteria would be looking for a vehicle where once the infant seat/rear facing convertable seat is installed, can a person sit in that front seat (whether you install it behind driver or passenger).

      Congratulations on your baby! had our first 18 months ago
      2010 Mini Cooper Horizon Blue A/T (sold)
      2004 Acura TL Satin Silver Metallic A/T (sold)
      2005 VW Jetta GLI Blue Lagoon 6-mt (sold)
      2007 VW Jetta GLI Candy White DSG (sold)

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2017
      Location
      Saskatchewan
      Posts
      320
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      03-05-2019 03:46 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Also, this is pure ignorance speaking here, but do kids really need that much stuff? I remember my mom used to use one of those umbrella strollers and a small backpack when I was going up. Have things changed that much in 30 some odd years?
      Chiming in with a solid no as well. Our kids are 13 and 15 when they were babies we were rocking our 2001 Mazda Protege, we made it work. Plus we had a dog too, a 60lb German Shepard / Border Collie. I think I recall a time or two where we jammed us all to the Protege, it sucked, but they were short trips so we survived.

      We used cheap bucket seats and fold up umbrella strollers. When the kids were babies we'd carry them in those things that are like a baby backpack, but on the front.

      I've never wanted a big car, plus when our kids were little we had no money, so we made do with what we had. This idea that you need a giant 65K SUV/Van because you have a 10 pound human baffles me.

      If you really have 100 grand to blow on cars I'd buy a new GTI for practical fun and a new V60 wagon for wagon awesomeness.

    15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      20,262
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-05-2019 03:55 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Having not awful re-sale value would be nice as I was in talks to take an expat role at our German head office in a few years time.
      Will the expat program include a car? Cars are expensive in Germany so you might want to consider buying something that works in both Canada as the wife's car and Germany as your only vehicle since most people don't own multiple cars there due to cost/space. Volvo wagon would fit nicely. By the way, here's how importation works in Germany..

      A car or other motor vehicle imported to Germany from outside the EU is normally subject to a 10% import duty and a 19% import value added tax. (The value-added tax on imports is called import turnover tax (Einfuhrumsatzsteuer).

      However, if you are moving to Germany with the intent to become a full time resident you can, if you meet certain requirements, bring in your personal car (and household goods) free of duty and import turnover tax.

      To escape the duty and tax you are be required to prove:

      that you have actually given up your residence in the non-EU foreign country you are coming from
      that you are establishing a new residence in Germany
      that you have been residing outside Germany for at least 12 consecutive months (this can be waived if the reasons for your earlier return are beyond your control)
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      732
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 03:56 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Chiming in with a solid no as well. Our kids are 13 and 15 when they were babies we were rocking our 2001 Mazda Protege, we made it work. Plus we had a dog too, a 60lb German Shepard / Border Collie. I think I recall a time or two where we jammed us all to the Protege, it sucked, but they were short trips so we survived.

      We used cheap bucket seats and fold up umbrella strollers. When the kids were babies we'd carry them in those things that are like a baby backpack, but on the front.

      I've never wanted a big car, plus when our kids were little we had no money, so we made do with what we had. This idea that you need a giant 65K SUV/Van because you have a 10 pound human baffles me.

      If you really have 100 grand to blow on cars I'd buy a new GTI for practical fun and a new V60 wagon for wagon awesomeness.
      Yeah, my sister and I spent our formative years in a Tercel with my parents eventually graduating to an Olds Cutlass when we were in high school. As for the car budget, $40k of it is paid each year as taxable benefit in the form of a car allowance under the condition that the vehicle is no older than 3 years old. I am basically stuck with a rotating lease whether I like it or not. The rest is what we think is reasonable for our household income, but we by no means have to spend it all.

    17. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,422
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 03:56 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      No they don't. The only time we truly needed more than that was on weekends away when we would bring a pack & play for her to sleep in. The larger strollers are nice if you are spending your day out on your feet mostly because you can store snacks and diapers in the pockets but 9/10 times the umbrella stroller would have been fine.
      Umbrella strollers have A) lower handles that are awkward for anyone over about 5'8" (might not be a problem for the OP) and B) tiny flimsy wheels that are terrible at handling small obstacles like stray rocks. I remember pushing my daughter around the zoo one day in a $20 Amazon special my mom keeps at her house and like every 15' it would stop me in my tracks because the wheel would turn sideways on some piece of gravel. HATED IT.

      You don't need some monstrosity, but get something with bigger wheels. We have a City Mini and it is pretty great; seems like one of the most popular models out there.


      For the OP, one kid isn't bad for stuff/space. When we only had my older daughter we had a MkV Jetta and a TSX. Both were fine, but the higher roofline/door opening of the Jetta made it easier to get my daughter in and out than the TSX. We're not short people (I'm 6' but with stubby legs, with is 5'8" with long legs) and it was perfectly comfy for us, and in a pinch someone could ride in the back with the kid. We had a Peg Perego removable infant carrier (snap in base stays in the car, seat comes out) that lasted each kid like 8 months; then we moved to a Britax something or other (Marathon?) which we are still using with daughter #2 rear-facing to this day. Both are on the smaller side for car seats and work great. I do agree that a crossover is easier to put the kids in, because everything is at normal, not hunched over, height, but it's not terrible to not have one if you don't want one.

      One thing, you mentioned proximity to the elementary school, but your kid likely won't go there until kindergarten which they start when they are ~5. What you do until this is more complicated, and where it gets super pricey in the states. You might want to look around at daycare prices before you go buying anything expensive; the sticker shock may tweak your budget somewhat.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    18. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,422
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 03:59 PM #42
      Also, the wearable idea might work for some people, but I'm fat and my babies were chunkers (super skinny now though) and I remember one miserable slog through O-Hare with the baby in a baby bjorn, she sweating all over me, I sweating all over her, and us spilling drool/food on one another.

      That was the end of that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      732
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 04:01 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Will the expat program include a car? Cars are expensive in Germany so you might want to consider buying something that works in both Canada as the wife's car and Germany as your only vehicle since most people don't own multiple cars there due to cost/space. Volvo wagon would fit nicely. By the way, here's how importation works in Germany..
      The expat package includes a standard issue Mercedes C-Class wagon or E-Class sedan in your choice of black, silver or white (I kid you not). It's always fun visiting the expat community in Wiesbadden: it's a sea of monochromatic Mercedes.

      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Umbrella strollers have A) lower handles that are awkward for anyone over about 5'8" (might not be a problem for the OP) and B) tiny flimsy wheels that are terrible at handling small obstacles like stray rocks. I remember pushing my daughter around the zoo one day in a $20 Amazon special my mom keeps at her house and like every 15' it would stop me in my tracks because the wheel would turn sideways on some piece of gravel. HATED IT.

      You don't need some monstrosity, but get something with bigger wheels. We have a City Mini and it is pretty great; seems like one of the most popular models out there.


      For the OP, one kid isn't bad for stuff/space. When we only had my older daughter we had a MkV Jetta and a TSX. Both were fine, but the higher roofline/door opening of the Jetta made it easier to get my daughter in and out than the TSX. We're not short people (I'm 6' but with stubby legs, with is 5'8" with long legs) and it was perfectly comfy for us, and in a pinch someone could ride in the back with the kid. We had a Peg Perego removable infant carrier (snap in base stays in the car, seat comes out) that lasted each kid like 8 months; then we moved to a Britax something or other (Marathon?) which we are still using with daughter #2 rear-facing to this day. Both are on the smaller side for car seats and work great. I do agree that a crossover is easier to put the kids in, because everything is at normal, not hunched over, height, but it's not terrible to not have one if you don't want one.

      One thing, you mentioned proximity to the elementary school, but your kid likely won't go there until kindergarten which they start when they are ~5. What you do until this is more complicated, and where it gets super pricey in the states. You might want to look around at daycare prices before you go buying anything expensive; the sticker shock may tweak your budget somewhat.
      Child care is expensive in Canada as well (~$1,500 per month), but the mother-in-law volunteered to come stay and help us. If we take the expat package to Germany, then they can go to the expat daycare and schools, which is included.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 04:04 PM.

    20. 03-05-2019 04:23 PM #44
      Maybe I am missing something here and I understand that the Miata has to go, but why in the world would you get rid of the R. It seems like it is just about perfect for what you are looking for. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to dump it because the majority of the potential replacements are less likely to fit your needs. Golf R is plenty for what you need in terms of space and practicality. People in Europe do just fine with hatchbacks without the need to "upgrade" to something bigger or worst yet, try to justify a soul crushing SUV with 1 or 2 kids .

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2015
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      898
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-05-2019 04:24 PM #45
      On a related note, could anyone here advise the mentality behind being Pro-Volvo and Anti-German?
      Last edited by JackStraw79; 03-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.

    22. 03-05-2019 04:25 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      On a related note, could anyone here advise the mentality behind Pro-Volvo and Anti-German?
      Does not compute.

    23. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,422
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 04:41 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Maybe I am missing something here and I understand that the Miata has to go, but why in the world would you get rid of the R. It seems like it is just about perfect for what you are looking for. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to dump it because the majority of the potential replacements are less likely to fit your needs. Golf R is plenty for what you need in terms of space and practicality. People in Europe do just fine with hatchbacks without the need to "upgrade" to something bigger or worst yet, try to justify a soul crushing SUV with 1 or 2 kids .
      1. lease ending
      2. left wife stranded 2x


      Wife doesn't want it anymore, and OP doesn't want it for himself.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    24. Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      6,528
      Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-05-2019 04:55 PM #48
      what you should do: probably nothing major

      what you are going to do: majorly upending your collection
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

    25. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,422
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 05:05 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      what you should do: probably nothing major

      what you are going to do: majorly upending your collection
      What you know about having kids: exactly zero

      what you are going to do: spout off your ignorance anyway
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    26. Member jaydub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2000
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      6,167
      Cars
      2016 Audi A3, 2015 Subaru Forester XT
      03-05-2019 05:20 PM #50
      I'm just joining the others to say I haven't experienced back strain with putting kids in the backseat of a sedan -- and I'm 41 with a 3 and 4 year old. Sometimes we'll take my A3 in favor of the Forester XT. My wife, who usually carts the kids around, has even said she preferred my car to hers simply because there's less space to actually fill up with junk, so she has to be thoughtful about what she's bringing.

    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM
    2. Replies: 22
      Last Post: 08-09-2002, 06:47 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •