Fourtitude.com - Joining the club: baby on the way and need to trade-in the fleet
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 12:34 PM #1
      Well, life changes fast. My wife surprised me on our short vacation in San Francisco and told me that I'm going to be a father. The lease is up on the Golf R at the end of the year and obviously the Miata has got to go. Her mother visits us for 2 - 4 months of the year and we recently adopted a dog, so needless to say, we are going to need to go bigger. This is a bit nerve wracking, but also exciting: it's not often you get this many life changes, including picking two new cars, all at once!

Needs or requirements:

1. Comfortably seat 4.
      2. AWD preferred for the Mrs.
      3. Wife has a strong anti-German stance.
      4. Wife hates SUVs.
      5. Manuel is okay, but she prefers automagic.
      6. No more than $100k CAD combined.
      7. Wife would like her car to be in the same realm of acceleration as the Golf R or her old ATS 2.0T, but more quiet.
      8. Mother-in-law is 70, so rear seating comfort is a concern.
      9. I personally would like to avoid GM for the crap they pulled with taking our bailout money and then shuttering the plant in my hometown.
      10. Her car must have an interior colour that is not black.

Other considerations:

1. She likes the styling on Volvos and Alfas.
      2. She really liked having a heated steering wheel.
      3. Our commutes are relatively short (30 km one way for me, 18 km one way for her).
      4. Elementary school is ~350 m from our house.

Combinations I have thought of off the top of my head:

His: Civic Type-R, Veloster N, STI, new Charger 392 with Dynamics package, used Charger Hellcat, 2011+ Lexus IS-F, Stringer GT2
      Hers: V60 Inscription, CPO Giulia Ti, Genesis G80 V8, Mazda 6 Signature, CPO Panamera 4S

Comments: Through work or family members I can get anything from Honda, Hyundai, Ford, GM or Mercedes on employee or supplier pricing, but it's definitely not a deciding factor. Having not awful re-sale value would be nice as I was in talks to take an expat role at our German head office in a few years time.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      torque and no torque
      03-05-2019 12:38 PM #2
      Charger 392 + Stevlio. I would love that combo but sadly insufficient $$ found.

Cars
      18 Passat GT // 19 Tiguan SEL Premium // 19 Jetta SEL Premium
      03-05-2019 12:44 PM #3
      I would really love the Audi SQ5, that's all .
      2018 VW Passat GT | Reflex Silver | DSG | OEM+ | Delivered March 2019
      Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft In North America

5. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      03-05-2019 12:47 PM #4
      You basically ruled out german for "hers" so not sure why Panamera 4S is on the list (though I wholeheartedly support the decision )

Anti-german AWD sedan? Honestly the Golf R fits all of the boxes for her... I'd consider keeping that after lease.
      Giulia Ti sounds good for her - and if she "likes" alfa / Volvo then that's where you should look first.
      Also, you could pull the fakerich card and go for a used Ghibli SQ4 - 2016 examples under 30k miles are ~$30-35k

For you, find a beefy Charger 392 or Hellcat and call it a day - the Civic has no more room than your R, neither will Veloster.
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 03-05-2019 at 12:50 PM.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

6. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      03-05-2019 12:48 PM #5
      Don't make a mistake and overbuy cars because a baby is one the way. I have a one year old and was all motivated to change the fleet when my wife was pregnant, and I'm sure glad I didn't.

I use my Jetta as a baby hauler every day and it's just fine. Then again, we don't have a stroller taking up valuable trunk space (we use baby wraps or slings). The only space required for the baby is space for the baby seat, and a back pack with her things that fits on the floor between her baby seat and the front seat. If we go on trips and need to haul a portable crib, and all our stuff, I just slap our thule cargo box on the roof, much cheaper than buying a new car.

Every thought of buying back your Golf R? Residuals in Canada are pretty low, and your buyback is probably much lower than it's market value. Then just get one family oriented car if you absolutely NEED to change. I'd say you can hold onto your R and Miata until you little one starts daycare, and just use the R until then.

Cars
      '12 Miata, '14 ML350, '03 FLHTCUI, E36 & E39
      03-05-2019 12:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sebasEuRo View Post
      I would really love the Audi SQ5, that's all .

Violates #3 and #4...

8. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 12:48 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      You basically ruled out german for "hers" so not sure why Panamera 4S is on the list (though I wholeheartedly support the decision )

Anti-german AWD sedan? Honestly the Golf R fits all of the boxes for her... I'd consider keeping that after lease.
      Giulia Ti sounds good for her - and if she "likes" alfa / Volvo then that's where you should look first.

For you, find a beefy Charger 392 or Hellcat and call it a day - the Civic has no more room than your R, neither will Veloster.
      She is anti-german, but I kept the Panamera 4S because I think it would check all the boxes and she would warm up to it. I don't need a big car since it's just me most days, but it would be useful to have room to take 4 in a pinch or baby + strollers if she's away on a work trip. Realistically, we could probably make one car work, but I travel enough on little notice that it's not prudent.

9. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 12:51 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Don't make a mistake and overbuy cars because a baby is one the way. I have a one year old and was all motivated to change the fleet when my wife was pregnant, and I'm sure glad I didn't.

I use my Jetta as a baby hauler every day and it's just fine. Then again, we don't have a stroller taking up valuable trunk space (we use baby wraps or slings). The only space required for the baby is space for the baby seat, and a back pack with her things that fits on the floor between her baby seat and the front seat. If we go on trips and need to haul a portable crib, and all our stuff, I just slap our thule cargo box on the roof, much cheaper than buying a new car.

Every thought of buying back your Golf R? Residuals in Canada are pretty low, and your buyback is probably much lower than it's market value. Then just get one family oriented car if you absolutely NEED to change. I'd say you can hold onto your R and Miata until you little one starts daycare, and just use the R until then.
      I would normally agree, but the R has left her stranded twice so it's going back. There is absolutely zero chance of me winning that argument. The Miata has to go because by virtue of me not being able to use it as a family vehicle if something happens to the other car. I would love to keep it, but it's just selfish.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-05-2019 12:51 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Other considerations:

1. She likes the styling on Volvos and Alfas.
      2. She really liked having a heated steering wheel.
      3. Our commutes are relatively short (30 km one way for me, 18 km one way for her).
      4. Elementary school is ~350 m from our house.

Combinations I have thought of off the top of my head:

His: Civic Type-R, Veloster N, STI, new Charger 392 with Dynamics package, used Charger Hellcat, 2011+ Lexus IS-F, Stringer GT2
      Hers: V60 Inscription, CPO Giulia Ti, Genesis G80 V8, Mazda 6 Signature, CPO Panamera 4S

Comments: Through work or family members I can get anything from Honda, Hyundai, Ford, GM or Mercedes on employee or supplier pricing, but it's definitely not a deciding factor. Having not awful re-sale value would be nice as I was in talks to take an expat role at our German head office in a few years time.
      Wow, that's some interesting considerations. One thing I have noticed with my friends who have kids, it's almost impossible to fit 4 people comfortably if one of those people is in a rear-facing child seat. The passenger or driver (depending on the location) seat is jacked all the way forward and the seatback is upright. Terrible. I would err on the side of something larger---or at least with a larger rear seat area.

So the compact cars you list will be a terrible option when you have 4 people in the car. The Charger, G80, Stinger, and Panamera are the only options I'd consider on the list. I'd also add in a Passat. My SIL just had a kid and bought a new Highlander. It's awesome.

My advice? (which is worthless, I get). Just sack up and get an SUV. If necessary, keep the Miata assuming you aren't moving down to one car. IMO, size is far more important than performance or form factor.

If I was buying this car today, I'd probably just go with the Charger due to the large rear seating area. I wouldn't really bother with any of the other cars if I needed to make a snap decision.

Cars
      13' Genesis Coupe, 16' Tucson
      03-05-2019 12:53 PM #10
      Just show up at the dealerships with the baby seat that you're going to use, and see how everything fits.
      I'm hesitant about the Veloster just because rear facing seats take up a ton of space.

Example: When we had a rear facing seat, we took the Coupe everywhere because the MK5 Jetta (that we had at the time) totally sucked.
      We were able to keep the seat latched into the center rear of my car without issues, so it let us be comfortable up front while still behind able to check on the baby.
      The Jetta... Not so much. If it was on the passengers side, the front seat was too far forward to be comfortable, and we couldn't get the base to work in the center.

Long story short: See how the seat fits in each car that you want

Rooting for the Stinger GT2
      Last edited by Braga_Dub; 03-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.

12. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 12:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Wow, that's some interesting considerations. One thing I have noticed with my friends who have kids, it's almost impossible to fit 4 people comfortably if one of those people is in a rear-facing child seat. The passenger or driver (depending on the location) seat is jacked all the way forward and the seatback is upright. Terrible. I would err on the side of something larger---or at least with a larger rear seat area.

So the compact cars you list will be a terrible option when you have 4 people in the car. The Charger, G80, Stinger, and Panamera are the only options I'd consider on the list. I'd also add in a Passat. My SIL just had a kid and bought a new Highlander. It's awesome.

My advice? (which is worthless, I get). Just sack up and get an SUV. If necessary, keep the Miata assuming you aren't moving down to one car. IMO, size is far more important than performance or form factor.

If I was buying this car today, I'd probably just go with the Charger due to the large rear seating area. I wouldn't really bother with any of the other cars if I needed to make a snap decision.
      Luckily (unluckily?) we are a short family. I am 5 ft 6, she's 5 ft 3 and my mother-in-law is 5 feet tall. We can make compacts work .

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-05-2019 12:55 PM #12
      Ignore the fact she doesn't an SUV and get an SUV.

Anti-German you say?

I've got the perfect thing for you....

Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

14. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      03-05-2019 12:57 PM #13
      Luckily (unluckily?) we are a short family. I am 5 ft 6, she's 5 ft 3 and my mother-in-law is 5 feet tall. We can make compacts work .
      Wow - now normally I'd say "that's not that short"... but that's short (hopefully no offense here )
      None of these will be much different than the Golf R - so if you have reasonable room in the backseat of that then... go for it.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

15. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 12:58 PM #14
      I would normally agree, but the R has left her stranded twice so it's going back.
      Totally get you on this. Wife stranded in a car with baby is a big BIG NOPE.

I leased a Toyota RAV4H for my wife because I wanted peace of mind, and TBH, I'm glad I did. It's AWD, uses as much fuel as a Yaris, very good acceleration, plenty of room, insanely good resale, and that Toyota reliablity. We both love it.

For family duty I'll take peace of mind over looks, performance, luxury, etc. That's just my 0.02$ though. Get a fun car, and another that you won't have to worry about.

Cars
      grey ghost wagon
      03-05-2019 12:59 PM #15
      This is perfect for the OP! Good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

Anti-German you say?

I've got the perfect thing for you....

MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      03-05-2019 01:03 PM #16
      From your list, Civic Type R (or used IS-F) + CPO Panamera since resale value seems to be an important factor. Used IS-F and Panameras are available at around 50% of MSRP today, and Type R's will probably depreciate very slowly from new.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-05-2019 01:20 PM #17
      Do what the person above your reply to me said---bring a seat to the dealer and see what fits. Although I'm 5"11, my legs are almost abnormally short and I can tell you that I was extremely uncomfortable in the passenger seat of my friend's Sportwagen with rear facing seat behind me.

19. Member
      Cars
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      03-05-2019 01:21 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      exactly. The first couple months that you aren't throwing your back out trying to get a car seat into a sedan (because of the higher hip height and ingress of an SUV) you'll thank all of us for this advise. CAN you deal with a sedan? Yes, but why mess with your body trying to contort yourself. Get the SUV you like and enjoy life. Just get one small enough she doesn't feel like she is piloting the Queen Mary
      Last edited by audifans; 03-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      03-05-2019 01:22 PM #19
      So I feel parents should only respond to this thread. Here's what I would do. Go look at baby car seats/stroller and ideally buy one. We had a Chicco 30 for the "infant" phase (0-6months) and now "upgraded" to (TWO (one per car) Graco Slimfit / Evenflo DLX convertible) at 7+months old.

I own a CX-5 and with a car seat (rear facing) you have reduced front leg room. In our Impreza, front leg room sucks, near zero with the larger convertible car seat.

Secondly, baby gear. Bags, diapers, wipes, snacks, juice, milk, PEE etc. What ever your "gear" is plan on it hitting the upholstery, floor etc.

Finally, a stroller. Ideally a infant car seat/stroller combo. Again, we did the Chicco 30 combo. The rather compact stroller takes up 90% of the truck space in the CX-5.

If your buying carseats and strollers. Keep in mind they are expensive. Middle of the road is about 300-400ish for the stoller/carseat combo. Those two other seats are 230 each.

If I did it over again... I'd go larger then a CX-5. Not necessarily more expensive or fancier. Just more interior room. Sure you can do it with a small car but if you are actually looking at investing in new vehicles consider size. Side note on this as well. Minivans are awesome at what they do. I hate them too.

Cars
      It varies.
      03-05-2019 01:28 PM #20
      I have two kids under age three, so here's my take. There's more to picking a baby-friendly car than the number of doors and whether the car seat "fits" in back. As far as car stuff goes, the newborn phase is the easiest-just plunk the carrier on to the base and away you go. It get's a bit trickier when a kid is big enough to be in a regular rear-facing seat because now you have to maneuver a (wiggling/kicking/crying/screaming) toddler over the seat bolster without smashing their head into the roof line and then get them properly situated and harnessed in.

It's not "hard" per se, but also not fun when it's raining/snowing/etc. while standing in a puddle/snowbank/etc. or if you're already fatigued from say, carrying the child around the zoo for the past however many hours on a humid day and you're on your last nerve because someone is over-tired and having a melt down that's frightening the animals and drawing sympathetic/mortified looks from complete strangers.

This is where the medium to large CUV really shines. I never understood the appeal until I had kids of my own, but a large CUV is far and away the easiest to get kids in and out of. Sedans require you to bend over and maneuver around obstacles. Full size trucks and SUVs are usually tall enough to require you to either lift the kid up and over or balance on the running board (this is a non-starter in winter). Crossovers are just the right height to extend your arms in front of you and gently set a kid into a seat.\

One more thing, and I cannot stress this enough: Whatever you get, make sure it has a dark colored interior, preferably leather for ease of wiping up/concealing messes. Because there will be messes. If you're even remotely particular about having a clean car, you may just want to start therapy now to work through whatever hang ups before the baby is born.
      Last edited by 4.OMG; 03-05-2019 at 01:31 PM.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

22. Member
      Cars
      1999 Honda Civic Si, 2017 Nissan Murano Sv, 2019 VW Jetta 1.4T S
      03-05-2019 01:29 PM #21
      I went through this same thing so I feel your pain... I had to get rid of my big turbo srt4 ( not safe enough ), my lancer ralliart ( had just finished a full OEM evo turbo and intercooler swap ) because mileage was too high, and my wife's Acura tlx ( she wanted bigger ) ( heh heh that's what she said ). Any way, we ended up getting a new Nissan Murano for her, she didnt want an SUV either until she drove it, I bought a new Jetta since I commute long distances and wanted something cheap ( dealer incentives were crazy ended up paying 15900 for a 22000 sticker ) and also bought a 96 z28 Camaro as a toy. Back on topic though, I would have to say one of the chargers for you and the alfa for her. They are simply fantastic to drive. Dunno about reliability since it's an alfa, but they look stunning, drive stunning, and they are quick. I would say Porsche but I just can't get into the looks of the panamera.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

23. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 01:39 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by audifans View Post
      exactly. The first couple months that you aren't throwing your back out trying to get a car seat into a sedan (because of the higher hip height and ingress of an SUV) you'll thank all of us for this advise. CAN you deal with a sedan? Yes, but why mess with your body trying to contort yourself. Get the SUV you like and enjoy life. Just get one small enough she doesn't feel like she is piloting the Queen Mary
      Unless you're disabled, there's no reason to be throwing out your back putting a child in a sedan.

I have a lowered Jetta and I never had any issue getting our 97th percentile 12 month old (she's 11.8kgs) in and out of my car. Even my wife uses my car for daycare duties and she just snaps our daughter in mere seconds.

You must be pretty damn unfit if putting a child in a sedan is ''messing with your body''

24. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      03-05-2019 01:48 PM #23
      STI & Ascent.

25. Member
      Cars
      03-05-2019 01:49 PM #24
      Oh and, pro-tip if you want to keep a cool/fun car and have kids.

Learn how to use a baby wrap/sling. If you don't have the patience to learn how to wrap yourself, get an ergo or pre-fit carrier.

Seriously guys. Not filling up a trunk with a stroller is key. Your wife will also think you're sexy when you wrap your baby on your chest (other women will think so too).

We used a stroller maybe 3-4 times since our daughter was born, it's been collecting dust in our basement since she was a couple of months old. We've flown three times (to Hawaii, Florida, Chicago), multiple road trips, groceries, errands, she's always in a wrap, but now she's starting to walk.

Seriously all we need is a wrap and a backpack, it's a game-changer compared to our friends who are running big SUV's or vans for two kids, and seem to be literally moving each time they go somewhere.

Sorry for the off-topic, it's just that, a couple of wraps/slings are cheaper than a stroller and you won't have to buy a land yatch to fill up with 500lbs of crap for your 10 lbs baby
      Last edited by Dubveiser; 03-05-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      03-05-2019 01:53 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Unless you're disabled, there's no reason to be throwing out your back putting a child in a sedan.

I have a lowered Jetta and I never had any issue getting our 97th percentile 12 month old (she's 11.8kgs) in and out of my car. Even my wife uses my car for daycare duties and she just snaps our daughter in mere seconds.

You must be pretty damn unfit if putting a child in a sedan is ''messing with your body''

I agree with them. Loading into a sedan or lowered Jetta isn't ideal. Load your child into each, CUV, SUV, Minvan, Lowered Jetta. Pretty sure we'd all pick a minivan at the end of the day for ease of use. If you don't, it just means your preference for a vehicle out weight convenience.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast