Fourtitude.com - Out with the old and in with new ... my S3 mods!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      03-02-2019 07:27 PM #1
      I searched for months looking for my next ride and it wasn't an easy choice to make. I feel a big part of that was having to say goodbye to my 20th Anniversary Edition GTI that I've owned for about 10 years. With that being said, I found exactly what I was looking for ... an Audi S3. I'll share a few pics of my previous GTI and my current S3 and I also plan on posting pics of the parts as they come in. Hopefully everything will be done for the summer of 2019.









      Last edited by bobbybrown; 03-06-2019 at 09:26 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      03-02-2019 07:38 PM #2
      Living up here in the Pacific NorthWest and the fact that at work and at home I park outside ... I've always had a remote starter for the winter months. I wasn't sure what my options would be like since I previously read that there are additional modules you need to purchase for newer vehicles. I found a company up in Canada who have a kit that works perfectly with the Push-to-Start Audi's. This one can also be purchased with a T-harness connector which allows you to plug the unit directly into one of the OEM harnesses. Other than that, there were just three additional taps that had to be made and it was done ... finished it on a Saturday afternoon back in December and have enjoyed it ever day since.! I also purchased an extended range antenna kit which gives me about a "2 km" range.



      Last edited by bobbybrown; 04-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.

    4. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      03-02-2019 07:46 PM #3
      Wheels have always been a personal choice that everyone won't always agree upon and the decision has always been keeping it OEM or going aftermarket. A set came up for sale locally already wrapped in Continental DWS tires and I couldn't pass up the deal! These will be my summer wheels and the OEM set up that are on now will stay as my winter set up. On my 20th AE GTI I had the wheels modified by Panther Wheels who machined and polished the face of the wheel and then painted the inside of the spokes in Black Magic Pearl to match the car. I may do the same to these ... but depends on what colour the car ends up being.


      Last edited by bobbybrown; 03-02-2019 at 08:17 PM.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      03-02-2019 08:09 PM #4
      The interior of the S3 is amazing and I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do differently. I love the brushed aluminum trim and I didn't want to change that, but I did think that the shifter was just okay. That being said, I stumbled across this shift knob on Pinterest and thought it tied in perfectly with the aluminum accents in the car and it is also displays the "S" logo. Found the company that makes it and ordered one up!



      Last edited by bobbybrown; 03-02-2019 at 08:16 PM.

    7. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      03-02-2019 08:28 PM #5
      My buddies shop had an A3 come in with front end damage and it gave me a chance to check out the guts of the headlights. I wasn't a fan of the yellow reflective corners and was curious to see how much work would be involved in taking these apart and removing or replacing that piece. Let's just say ... not an easy task to take on (compared to the MK4 GTI). I then checked online and found the Euro lights for the 8V ... perfect, but they came with a cost!!! Luckily for me, a set came up on eBay and the seller was local so we struck a deal so that I could save on the shipping and picked up a pair for about $600.



      Last edited by bobbybrown; 03-02-2019 at 08:30 PM.

    8. Junior Member radbaldguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2016
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      50
      Cars
      2015 Audi S3 Prestige
      04-03-2019 01:37 PM #6
      Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I have a few questions about your Fortin remote starter. Which version did you go with? Did you install it yourself? If so, where did you buy it? Their website suggests one can only purchase through an approved installer. I've always been super disappointed that this car didn't have a remote start option and would love to add it but it seems like quite the maze to navigate which modules I'd need and the installation instructions are pretty cryptic (despite being a pretty mechanically inclined person).

    9. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      04-05-2019 08:34 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by radbaldguy View Post
      Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I have a few questions about your Fortin remote starter. Which version did you go with? Did you install it yourself? If so, where did you buy it? Their website suggests one can only purchase through an approved installer. I've always been super disappointed that this car didn't have a remote start option and would love to add it but it seems like quite the maze to navigate which modules I'd need and the installation instructions are pretty cryptic (despite being a pretty mechanically inclined person).
      This is the kit I purchased ... comes with the T harness and everything you'll need to install it:

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Pl...item545581a27d

      I installed it myself and it just took part of an afternoon to do. I have installed car stereos before ... and this was easier than those installs. The install is easier because of the T harness ... direct connection to OEM harness. Other than that there were just a couple of wires you have to tap into and thats it! The instructions have pics that show where the wires connections need to be made

      Having tried a couple of remotes to extend the range ... I'd suggest going to this one:

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fortin-RFK9...frcectupt=true

      This remote runs on a different frequency ... and the distance it covers is insane!!! Definitely with price!!!

      Hope that helps!

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2014
      Location
      Lehigh Valley, PA
      Posts
      188
      04-06-2019 03:22 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by radbaldguy View Post
      Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I have a few questions about your Fortin remote starter. Which version did you go with? Did you install it yourself? If so, where did you buy it? Their website suggests one can only purchase through an approved installer. I've always been super disappointed that this car didn't have a remote start option and would love to add it but it seems like quite the maze to navigate which modules I'd need and the installation instructions are pretty cryptic (despite being a pretty mechanically inclined person).
      This is the kit I purchased ... comes with the T harness and everything you'll need to install it:

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Pl...item545581a27d

      I installed it myself and it just took part of an afternoon to do. I have installed car stereos before ... and this was easier than those installs. The install is easier because of the T harness ... direct connection to OEM harness. Other than that there were just a couple of wires you have to tap into and thats it! The instructions have pics that show where the wires connections need to be made <img src="https://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/thumbup.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Thumb Up" class="inlineimg" />

      Having tried a couple of remotes to extend the range ... I'd suggest going to this one:

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fortin-RFK9...frcectupt=true

      This remote runs on a different frequency ... and the distance it covers is insane!!! Definitely with price!!!

      Hope that helps!
      Does the remote still work as factory, meaning you can lock/unlock the car with the fob in your pocket?

      The kit you linked to is listed as working on up to 2017 model year cars; any idea about 2018?

      Thanks!

    11. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      04-06-2019 02:22 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Kretrop View Post
      Does the remote still work as factory, meaning you can lock/unlock the car with the fob in your pocket?

      The kit you linked to is listed as working on up to 2017 model year cars; any idea about 2018?

      Thanks!

      Yes ... factory remote still works on it's own. The remote starter only starts your car ... it's not meant to replace your OEM remote which has a chip embedded in it.

      If your wondering if it will work with yours ... you may want to contact the seller or better yet, just call Fortin

    12. Member RocknRolla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2006
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2,480
      Cars
      2019 Tiguan SE, 2017 S3, 2011 Ranger 4x4
      04-10-2019 07:35 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
      I've always liked those wheels. They remind me of my wheels that came with the black optics package.


    13. Member bobbybrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Pacific North West ...
      Posts
      339
      04-14-2019 03:36 AM #11
      Thanks for compliment ... can't wait to get the new wheels installed!

      I wanna get the sport spring installed and figure out what spacers I want to go with ... and then get an alignment done shortly after

    Similar Threads

    1. Out with the old and in with the new!!
      By Staley in forum 1.8T Engine Forum
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 10-22-2002, 02:11 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •