Fourtitude.com - 6 months in the Wrong(ler)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    1. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-23-2019 03:11 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      If it has Dodge Caravan tires is it even REALLY a Jeep?
      It has 4WD, it'll be fine!
      Instagram - efrie004

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-23-2019 05:00 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Took it in for its first oil change today at ~8100 miles. Oil change, tire rotation, and the assorted inspection gobbledygook. Walked up, no appointment at about 815, drive out at about 9 with $0 out of pocket. Didnít even bring it up, guy said ďoh first change, guess itís on us.Ē Had a decent sprinkle donut while I waited. Only downfall is they didnít wash it but whatever, NBD.

I also inquired as to the rear glass for the hardtop to fix the defroster, guy told me it would be sometime mid-May, I told him to just forget it because Iíll be back to the soft top by then. Iíll deal with it in the fall.

Wickstrom Jeep in Barrington,
      Thanks for the update! Nice to hear that everything went well for you. That's not always the norm for anything related to chrysler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      04-27-2019 10:00 PM #103
      Took the Wrongler to an off-road park with a local Toyota shop (friend has a 4th Gen 4Runner). They graciously allowed me to join them. It was an ďoff-roading 101Ē course which basically meant most guys were in mostly stock trucks, so we took it pretty easy. I was pretty nervous going in, walking around looking at everyone else with their rugged knobbies, and my minivan slicks. But actually the Wrongler kept up really well, it was like a little billy goat running with all the 4Runners. Had an absolute blast. Iíd love to get some more rugged tires if I end up keeping it, and doing much much more of this.

Struggling to climb some rocks in the mud:

https://youtu.be/gN_WGbsPlwo

And bonus, an FJ wanders too deep and gets towed out

https://youtu.be/iyFsJ5BAA0I
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      04-27-2019 10:05 PM #104
      We should set up a trip out sometime this summer
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      04-27-2019 10:15 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      In.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      04-27-2019 10:26 PM #106
      I'm very impressed seeing the Wrongler doing what it can with those minivan tires.

It's definitely the first JL I've see off road not including a parking lot or two.
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      04-27-2019 10:33 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by onebadbug View Post
      I'm very impressed seeing the Wrongler doing what it can with those minivan tires.

It's definitely the first JL I've see off road not including a parking lot or two.
      I saw a zillion Wranglers (and XJs and ZJs, etc) our there today, including probably half a dozen JLs, about half of which were Rubicons.

9. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      04-28-2019 07:18 AM #108
      They graciously allowed me to join them. It was an ďoff-roading 101Ē course which basically meant most guys were in mostly stock trucks, so we took it pretty easy. I was pretty nervous going in, walking around looking at everyone else with their rugged knobbies, and my minivan slicks. But actually the Wrongler kept up really well, it was like a little billy goat running with all the 4Runners. Had an absolute blast. Iíd love to get some more rugged tires if I end up keeping it, and doing much much more of this.

10. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      04-28-2019 07:49 AM #109
      TL;DR: I love it and you should get one.

As of tomorrow, Iíll have had my Jeep for exactly 6 months. I know this because I picked it up on my half birthday and tomorrow is my actual birthday. The odo currently stands at ~7450 miles, which is, umm, 74.5% of my annual lease mileage allowance, not 50% as it should be. Oops.

To recap, my Jeep is:
      -Unlimited Sport S (Sport is the base, S adds power windows, door locks, standard A/C, etc etc)
      -(base) 3.6L Pentastar V6
      -8AT
      -Dual tops
      -cold weather group (heat seats, wheel, remote start)
      -trailer group (hitch, bigger battery/alternator, aux switches)
      -Alpine stereo
      -tech package (7Ē touch screen with Uconnect and Apple Carplay, no native navigation, auto climate)
      -homelink
      -odds and ends like a bag for the soft top windows, all weather matts, etc.

Sticker was $45k-ish, and I got a few grand off on the lease without even trying hard.

I think thatís it. Notably, I goofed and failed to order the limited slip, because Iím dumb. That said, I have noticed basically zero negative effects of not having it (the virtual brake-based LSD traction control is pretty good) but it still pisses me off.

Iíve done very little aftermarket stuff, just a shorty antenna (Amazon, like $12), and I have a Weathertech cargo mat supposed to be delivered today (the OEM one is really narrow to accommodate the cargo rails I donít have). I also took off the stupid Euro bumpers and tossed them. I replaced the crappy OEM light bulbs with some Sylvanias, they are a little better but not much. There are some things Iíd like to do, but weíll get there as well.

What has gone wrong: Basically nothing. I have a cracked windshield (common) that Iíll get fixed when itís no longer ďdump rocks on the roadĒ season (caught a rock off a truck). Thank you USAA for NOT offering a glass package in my insurance, the fix is the same as my deductible, ~$500. My rear defroster doesnít work because the little metal tab snapped off the rear glass; itís an extremely common flaw. I donít really care if Iím honest, the rear window doesnít really fog, and I guess thereís a huge back order for rear glass as a result (they replace the whole glass piece, but the replacements are just as apt to fail). Iíll address this at my first oil change (still at ~20% oil life) but it will probably be soft top season by then. Also, every once in a while I get a little handshake weirdness between my phone and the Uconnect, like the steering wheel controls wonít work with the phone or something, but a jiggle of the cord or unplugging it and replugging it works fine. Who knows if thatís the Jeep or Apple. Clearly, 7500 miles, nothing should have gone wrong, but first year of a new FCA model, Iím pretty thrilled. My FCA wariness is a huge reason why I leased instead of bought. I have had a couple instances of what I think was death wobble; I have a highway nearby with rather large expansion joints and it has only happened on that road hitting those joints. Iíll mention it at my next service, but I am not worried about it.

What I like: Everything. Honestly. This was a huge departure for me, up until now I had only owned Japanese sedans and my S2000. This is like the opposite of those, and I love it. Everyone loves the damned thing, people at gas stations, my neighbors who donít care about cars, owners of older Jeeps, etc. Even my wife (who thought it was stupid) has come around and likes it. I love the Lego aspect of it, taking the doors off and fiddling with the roof and stuff. I love that itís a different vehicle in the winter when the HT goes on. I love that potholes and our terrible roads donít matter to this thing. I love that itís an absolute snow tank; I drove it to Northern WI last weekend in white-out conditions and it was rock solid in 4Hi. I love that itís fun to drive at normal speeds and you can just cruise around topless and not look like a jackass like when youíre revving the S2000 to 9k and everyone hates you. I love that there is no pretense to the thing, not one person looks at it like itís a $45k wiener extension like they do when you buy a $45k 328i. I can drive it to my country club or to WalMart and not look like a jackass in either situation.

The thing is a way better road trip car than I expected, which is why Iím so far over on miles (Iíve made 5 trips to WI in it). Itís a little noisy with the soft top, but with the HT itís perfectly acceptable, and the upright seating position is very comfortable. The performance is pretty good, it feels like it is considerably faster than my TSX was. The brakes are way better too. I tend to drive it slower and less aggressively; cruising at around 75 on the highways (speed limit of 70) versus 80-90 in the Acura. But it will do 100 or more, as I discovered passing slow cars on 2-lane roads over the weekend. Felt rock solid at that speed. Gas mileage has been great, ~20ish if you believe the trip computer, but whatís key is that it will drink any cheap swill you feed it, so no need for premium which is now a huge cost savings. I can fill the tank around here for under $40. I have a rear-facing Britax car seat and a random booster seat for my kids in the car nearly 100% of the time and it works great for them; the car seat in particular is at perfect height to buckle my younger one in.

The stereo is awesome, with a big thumping 10Ē sub, and Iím sure the other speakers are great too but itís hard to tell because it isnít Lexus quiet. The infotainment is awesome, making my wifeís 2G RDX look like itís 20 years old. I like that I donít have native Nav, Waze and Google Maps on Carplay are perfect, and the interface with Apple Music is pretty great. It doesnít work great with Pandora or Spotify, so I tend to not use those. I like that you can turn on the backup camera at any time; I use it pulling into my garage daily without having to shift into reverse to see if Iím all the way in (thatís what she said). You can customize the tray at the bottom of the screen to include frequently used apps, and so the camera is there for me. Itís useful for trailer towing too, something Iíve only done a couple times with a jet ski, but it worked fine. Trailer towing comes with the beefier battery and alternator, which I liked a lot when it was -26* here a few weeks ago and I didnít have to worry about whether the Jeep would start. I havenít used the aux switches for anything yet. I donít know if I will or not.

What I want to be different: There are several things I want from the higher trim levels. I really want the Rubi rock rails to finish off the lower part of the Jeep, Iíve been watching craigslist for them but nothing yet. You can get, for $500, proximity unlocking and locking on the higher trim levels, I wish I had that for loading kids in the car. I also wish I could have bought the LED light option available on higher trims, the aftermarket and Mopar LED kids are silly money ($1k-ish I think). But 95% of the time Iím in the suburbs and the lights are fine; itís only in the back woods where they are woefully inadequate. Lastly, the bigger 8.4Ē screen would be nice to have, but I really donít miss it and I donít need Uconnect nav, so itís not a big deal.

Whatís next and what Iíd do differently: As you can see, Iím still in the honeymoon stage here. I love this thing, and I really canít see not having it. But there are a few ways I could go next. A lot depends on what Jeep does, Iíve heard rumors that the 3.6L is getting the mild 48v hybrid system at some point. I really am not interested in that, it adds complexity for minimal benefit IMO. If thatís the case, Iíll probably buy out my lease. And then Iíd start thinking about making some changes, Iíd go with the K02 tires from the Rubi on the stock wheels, and I might look into an axle swap to get the LSD. If they donít do the hybrid, I will likely lease another JL. I am tempted by the Rubicon for the appearance and because who doesnít want the ďbestĒ version of their vehicle, but if Iím honest, itís kind of a dumb move. You can only lock the lockers in 4Lo, which you arenít ever going to use on the road, and the lockers preclude the LSD, so in inclement weather it wonít be any better than my Jeep, tire choices aside. But then I could get some of the above things that I want and canít get on a Sport. But it would be cheaper to just buy mine out and add those things in the aftermarket. So obviously I just talk myself in circles here. I think a lot depends on how reliable the Jeep is/isnít for the remainder of the lease.

On my Jeep, Iíd love to add the rock rails, and if I need tires before lease end Iíll go more aggressive. I would also like to do some aux lighting at some point, Mopar finally released their brackets for the plastic bumper. A couple cubes by the windshield and maybe some big round lights on the bumper (like you used to get stock on the TJ, I loved that look) would really help on the dark WI back roads (I donít care itís illegal, theyíre deserted). And Iíd like to rig up some rear lights for use while hunting early morning/late night. And I'd look into some sort of headlight conversion, LED or HID or something. Other than that, I donít really need to do much else to it, Iím pretty happy with it as-is.

In summary: I donít miss my S2000 in winter storage, and I REALLY donít miss my Acura, at all. The Jeep is perfect for my suburban driving on 45mph surface streets with 90* corners and terrible potholes and stop lights and cops and traffic. It is decent on the highway, and itís obviously excellent driving around the vacation property in either summer (towing toys, screwing around with light offroading, going topless/doorless) or winter (towing snowmobiles, handling deep snow). It works great as a family car (I drop both my daughters off every day). I thought I might get tired of the noisiness, the clumsiness, the poor quality, but none of those have really been true or bothersome. I can honestly say if I won a zillion dollars in Powerball tomorrow, Iíd still keep my Jeep, or one very much like it, around as a regular driver.

Too Long; Didn't Read.

Needs a pic or something, what's wrong with these immigrants these days?
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃ē̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃ē̃)۶ ٩(◊̯◊)۶ Į\(į_o)/Į
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

11. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      04-28-2019 01:15 PM #110
      Rented a Wrangler Sahara last weekend. Pretty good considering I had booked a "Corolla or equivalent". After admiring Wranglers from afar for years it was nice to actually drive one.

This one had no options. The equipment levels are fine for that the trim level but it's a bit sparse for $50k CAD. I'd at least option the cold weather package, LSD, proximity key, LED lights, and the infotainment package (which at least in Canada gets you the larger screen, nav, Alpine stereo, and auto dimming mirror). That puts it at about $54k. Might as well add another $1k for leather at that point.

I was surprised how quick it felt. That new automatic makes a big difference I think. It was also surprisingly quiet and rode well, though hitting bumps you definitely feel that it has solid axles. I'm still not sure if I could live with one as our only vehicle but I feel like I need to get a Wrangler at some point just to get it out of my system.

Edit: Just priced out a Sport S and a Sahara. Monthly payment delta for a three year lease is $40 and the Sahara has a ton more options. No brainer to go with the Sahara here.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 04-28-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      04-28-2019 01:33 PM #111

And bonus, an FJ wanders too deep and gets towed out

https://youtu.be/iyFsJ5BAA0I

Ouch. Is that thing toast? Or can the floors be drained and hosed out a'la Wrangler / Honda Element?
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

Cars
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      04-28-2019 01:49 PM #112
      Badlands near Attica,IN? If so, those are my old stomping grounds although I donít recognize the pics to be honest. Iíve not been there in 8 years so things may have changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      04-28-2019 01:56 PM #113
      Struggling to climb some rocks in the mud:

https://youtu.be/gN_WGbsPlwo
      That's f*cking awesome! Great job man!
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      04-28-2019 02:45 PM #114

Cars
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      04-28-2019 05:33 PM #115
      How are those stock halogens? Iím wanting a gladiator, but a trim with LEDís is prohibitively expensive.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      04-28-2019 05:58 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      How are those stock halogens? Iím wanting a gladiator, but a trim with LEDís is prohibitively expensive.
      They suck.

I got Sylvania Silver Stars or something, but they are only mildly better.

I generally just drive around the burbs so no big deal, but I do want to get some auxiliary lights one of these days for the back woods and such. And looks, if Iím honest.

Cars
      228i, JKU, Cabriolet
      04-28-2019 09:56 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      LED Upgrades through the aftermarket are plentiful.

19. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      04-29-2019 01:01 AM #118
      LED Upgrades through the aftermarket are plentiful.
      Blinding in real life, annoying, and mostly illegal.

I have one in my neighborhood that I like to play games with. Brake check and flash my real OEM LEDs. Oh there's also steer towards the really bright and blinding lights with the horn activated, this game is really fun! I hope I win one day with my two firms on retainer, they are probably itching for something to do.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃ē̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃ē̃)۶ ٩(◊̯◊)۶ Į\(į_o)/Į
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

20. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      04-29-2019 08:07 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      Blinding in real life, annoying, and mostly illegal.

I have one in my neighborhood that I like to play games with. Brake check and flash my real OEM LEDs. Oh there's also steer towards the really bright and blinding lights with the horn activated, this game is really fun! I hope I win one day with my two firms on retainer, they are probably itching for something to do.
      I don't think he's talking about the stupid drop-ins, there's whole LED housings that you can buy for your Wrangler that are DOT compliant.

https://headlightrevolution.com/jw-s...nd-headlights/

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      04-29-2019 08:41 AM #120
      Took the Wrongler stuntin this weekend

Cars
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      04-29-2019 09:08 AM #121
      Have you stripped yours down yet? Finally took the doors off this weekend. So, SO much lighter than the JK doors. A little more work since you have to take the extra step to undo the door check bolt but took maybe 20 minutes start to finish with the manual tool they give you. Just love this silly thing.

http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
      2017 Bright White Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      04-29-2019 12:28 PM #122
      Mine gets naked as often as possible. Built this cart thingy to handle the doors.

(Plans shamelessly stolen from the internet somewhere or other)

24. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      04-29-2019 12:46 PM #123

Iíd love to get some more rugged tires if I end up keeping it, and doing much much more of this.

[url]

Glad to see it being used properly

Be careful not to fall into the money pit

25. 04-29-2019 12:53 PM #124
      To the guys that own one:

1) How is the steering feel on road? Does it wander a lot or track reasonably straight? Do you get a lot of chatter over quick bumps?
      2) How's the power of the 3.6? Is it adequate or gutless on the road/highway?

I'm seriously considering a Gladiator but coming from a hot hatch I am worried I am really going to not enjoy it on the road. Yes I need to go test drive one, and better yet, rent one for a few days, but looking for some initial feedback first.

It will see a good amount of solid offroad use if I get one.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Rob; 04-29-2019 at 12:57 PM.

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      04-29-2019 01:08 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      *cough* ARKANSAS!!! *cough*
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast