Fourtitude.com - 6 months in the Wrong(ler)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 12:25 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      So which is it, the Wrangler or Grand Cherokee? You mentioned a similar association with monied people for the GC in other threads. I don't think most people with money are driving wranglers unless it's their 5th vehicle or a bad weather car. I do see a lot of Wranglers on college campuses---they seem to be a favorite of coeds. Not sure that has ever changed, particularly at schools that have kids who come from money.
      Both. I think historically it's been the GC, but as the Wrangler has added a 4dr model and gotten progressively more civilized, it's become more mainstream as well.

In any event, does the Wrangler purchase automatically enter you into the Jeep Wave program (free oil changes and tire rotations for 2 yrs)? Also, you tried out the Uconnect app? Pretty neat---at least for someone who traditionally prefers vehicles without all the frills.
      I do have the Wave program, I will pay essentially zero to own this thing aside from insurance, gas, and lease payment for 2 years, plus, what, $50 for an oil change/tire rotation in year three?

I don't have the connectivity with the Uconnect, that's only on higher trim models with the Tech package (8.4" screen).
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 12:28 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I have a feeling that the affluent suburbs of Philadelphia are probably not much different than where you are.
      I went to Nova, the REAL affluent suburbs of Philly (Main Line) are nicer than where I am for sure.

I recognize your town as a fan of Sebastian Maniscalco.
      That's the third time I've seen him referenced in like 4 days, I need to check him out.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-26-2019 12:29 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I do have the Wave program, I will pay essentially zero to own this thing aside from insurance, gas, and lease payment for 2 years, plus, what, $50 for an oil change/tire rotation in year three?
      Cool. Have you used it yet? I've read that some dealers claim not to be aware of the program. My sales guy didn't mention it when I asked about free maintenance/oil changes at the dealer---I had no idea about the Wave program when I asked.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 12:31 PM #54
      Cool. Have you used it yet? I've read that some dealers claim not to be aware of the program. My sales guy didn't mention it when I asked about free maintenance/oil changes at the dealer---I had no idea about the Wave program when I asked.
      Not yet. I have the emails and documentation so I can't see it being an issue. I am at like 10% on my oil now, I need to get in there in the next couple of weeks. Want to get my order in for a rear window as well, hope to get it fixed before I switch to the soft top.

6. Member
      Cars
      17' Explorer Sport; '15 JKU Rubicon; '11Explorer; '05TJ;prior: '05PssatWgn; '99PssatWgn; '93pssat16V
      02-26-2019 12:52 PM #55
      Bought my JKU rubicon almost four years ago, sticker was $40K at the time, paid $34.8K plus TTL.

My only regret is not buying one way before, never was really interested in the wranglers until about five years ago, then I started thinking daily about buying one.

I liked the JKU so much that decided to buy a "toy" last year, the '05TJ manual transmission, find myself driving the TJ a lot more frequently than the JKU

On both, I love going from full doors/hard top to half doors/soft top and back.

Next vehicle will either by a JT or a JL (2-door).

Maybe at that point I'll give up on jeeps, kinda like happened to me with passat's

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-26-2019 12:52 PM #56
      Not yet. I have the emails and documentation so I can't see it being an issue. I am at like 10% on my oil now, I need to get in there in the next couple of weeks. Want to get my order in for a rear window as well, hope to get it fixed before I switch to the soft top.
      Please update this thread after the oil change to let us (me) know how everything worked out.

8. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-26-2019 12:56 PM #57
      Not sure how I missed this.

I wasn't sure if you liked the Wrangler because you never bring it up...

But now I can rest assured knowing that yes, you do like your Wrangler.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 01:36 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

I mean, it's no leased Audi, but....

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-26-2019 01:43 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

new gifatar

Cars
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      02-26-2019 01:52 PM #60
      We've used the Jeep Wave for the last 2.5 years with our Grand Cherokee with no issue. Synthetic oil changes and tire rotation gratis. About to use up the last one included with it but it's been great so far.

Please update this thread after the oil change to let us (me) know how everything worked out.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
      2017 Bright White Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

12. 02-26-2019 01:57 PM #61
      I'll save the story leading up to this, but just last week I went and drove a new Wrangler. I have an older 4Runner, and my line of thought was I could replace it with another 4WD to have fun with, and also get a convertible for the whole family to enjoy cruising in town in, and have it serve as a normal family hauler on a daily basis.

I really wanted to check out a manual, so I drove a V6 stick Sahara first. Didn't like the manual, didn't like the drive, didn't like the truck, period. Even though I thought it'd be a waste of time, I went and drove an auto Rubicon afterwards, as it's what I'd actually buy. Holy crap, loved it. Total 180 from the manual Sahara. I am now actively trying to figure out just how soon I can make this transaction happen. Was completely shocked by how much I enjoyed it.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-26-2019 02:07 PM #62
      I always liked the Willy's package on the JK's. Have they started packages like that with the JL's yet?

As for the buyer demo... I have a friend who makes a very good living, as does her husband. No kids, live in fancy CT. They both drive Rubi Unlimiteds and have for the last couple of lease cycles. So these trucks are certainly appealing to well-money'd buyers.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 02:13 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I always liked the Willy's package on the JK's. Have they started packages like that with the JL's yet?
      They have the Moab, which I think is a Sahara with the cosmetic stuff from the Rubicon? But no lockers, etc.

There's a pretty well-off guy on the Miata forum (has gone through a string of Porsches, latest is a GT4) and he has a Willys that he built up pretty well and takes it to Moab every year for rock crawling, etc.

Because I was buying a DD, I wanted all the fancy gadget stuff, so no stripped Willy's for me.

15. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      02-26-2019 02:20 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'm a big fan of the Willys as well. It was a great combination of options and cosmetics for the base JK.

Cars
      2014 JSW TDi Wolfsburg
      02-26-2019 02:31 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      This describes me completely!
      I had 3 JKUs from 2007 thru 2018.
      I just got road-weary from it, over that stretch of time (amongst other motivations), and needed/wanted something completely different.
      The JLU didn't seem to be a huge improvement (and I am not saying that the JKU was bad), where I felt the need for a fourth 4 door Wrangler.
      If I get the Wrangler bug again, I'll try to find a TJ Unlimited in NATO desert sand.
      That's it! The perfect way that I would describe what happens to me after a few years of driving them. You get tired of dealing with the lousy ride quality, the loud noises, the mediocre power, the seating position, etc.

I'm not saying I wont buy another one, but it would have to be a second vehicle, not a primary mode of transportation.

17. Member
      Cars
      GX470
      02-26-2019 02:49 PM #66
      I'm planning to test drive a JLU tomorrow night. My body is ready.

For real though, on paper, this vehicle fills a daily driver niche that I've potentially been looking for.... for a long time.

Cars
      2017 STI
      02-26-2019 03:01 PM #67
      Glad you're enjoying your truck. I love these things and could see myself getting one someday.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      02-26-2019 03:02 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Is the Wrangler a vehicular humblebrag? Guys I think we're onto something here.
      Stealth Wealth, baby.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 03:08 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Stealth Wealth, baby.
      As much as anything half the size of a shipping crate and painted bright red is "stealth"

Cars
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      02-26-2019 03:09 PM #70
      I have the same question for myself. This summer will be telling.

I have a few relatively unique things working against the S2000:

-I have two kids, so I can make the S work with my older daughter, any day I have to drop off both kids doesn't work. In the summer we usually have a nanny so it doesn't matter as much, but it's still limiting.

-I live in suburban midwest sports car hell. There are zero enthusiast roads. There is no place to drive for fun. Even fun drives are more about scenery than driving (like taking a ride up Lake Shore Drive). In a car like the S2000, where you really need curvy roads for it to be fun (can't just do stop light pulls like in a Mustang), it's pretty disheartening. When I drove a TSX, which was boring as hell, the S2000 was way more fun due to the top down aspect. I'm not sure the S2000 will be more fun than the Jeep around here.

We'll see.
      Dude, you’ve got hocking hills nearby. Even driving up 315 and out along the river in Dublin is fun. (Former Worthingtoner)

Indy is sports car hell.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

02-26-2019 03:18 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Stealth Wealth, baby.
      Haha, the JLU is my expensive car, but my $5k E38 BMW says "FAKERCH" on the license plate.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 03:26 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      Dude, you’ve got hocking hills nearby. Even driving up 315 and out along the river in Dublin is fun. (Former Worthingtoner)

Indy is sports car hell.
      I think you have me confused. I'm in Chicagoland.

24. 02-26-2019 03:30 PM #73
      I traveled to Iceland last summer and rented a 6-speed JK sport for a week. I loved the truck, but more power to anyone who owns the stripper version. Forget any luxuries, not even a USB to charge your phone. The drive was OK on the roads, but the truck is brutish (no surprise to anyone). We did take it off-road on some remote mountain roads and it fared well; certainly more capable than a Forester. Could never imagine owning one, and yet, I can’t help but build out my dream JL rubicon every other month.

Hilariously our windshield cracked multiple times over the 7 days there. Always get the windshield coverage if going to Iceland.

02-26-2019 04:42 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by buumer View Post
      I traveled to Iceland last summer and rented a 6-speed JK sport for a week. I loved the truck, but more power to anyone who owns the stripper version. Forget any luxuries, not even a USB to charge your phone. The drive was OK on the roads, but the truck is brutish (no surprise to anyone). We did take it off-road on some remote mountain roads and it fared well; certainly more capable than a Forester. Could never imagine owning one, and yet, I can’t help but build out my dream JL rubicon every other month.

Hilariously our windshield cracked multiple times over the 7 days there. Always get the windshield coverage if going to Iceland.

I have the base model. Well, I have one option, and its the HD 44 rear with 'off road" tires.

But JL's come with backup camera, 2 USB ports, cruise control and steering wheel controls standard.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

26. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-26-2019 04:51 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      But JL's come with backup camera, 2 USB ports, cruise control and steering wheel controls standard.
      What do you do if you want to roll down the rear passenger window?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast