Fourtitude.com - 6 months in the Wrong(ler)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 03:51 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      I'm also hoping they don't do away with the 2-door by the time my kid is out of a full size carseat.
      I really really wanted the 2dr at first, but there is honestly ZERO room for cargo behind the seat, it's basically do you want rear passengers or do you want cargo space. Unless you really need the 2dr for offroading or parking space constraints or something, or you are going to pull the rear seat out entirely, the 4dr is really the better choice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-21-2019 04:14 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I really really wanted the 2dr at first, but there is honestly ZERO room for cargo behind the seat, it's basically do you want rear passengers or do you want cargo space. Unless you really need the 2dr for offroading or parking space constraints or something, or you are going to pull the rear seat out entirely, the 4dr is really the better choice.
      Also ingress/egress esp with kids is a huge PITA. I was set on a 2dr too, but a few test drives + wife input put the kibosh on that. I never wished I had gone the other route once I had the JKU in the garage though, with the possible exception of having to remove/store two more doors.

Cars
      14 Boxster 12 Wrangler
      02-21-2019 04:29 PM #28
      I have a 2 door JK with 2 cracks in the windshield. I'm not replacing until it really bugs me.
      I took the back seat out 2 days after I got it and it hasn't been back in since (7.5 years).

I'd be in a new JL if they didn't go up so much on the price. My 2012 S had an MSRP of 27,500.
      I build a 2019 and I'm at $40kish.

Get Duratracs for replacement tires. I hated the standard wrangler tires. I felt they were dangerous.

I'm also sick of the ride lately, can't wait for spring and nicer weather. The jeep will be parked.

My other big complaint is the horrible zippers on the soft top. I cut my fingers every time raising or lowering it.

It is one of the best commuter vehicles though. I can park where I want and don't have to worry about dings.

Even in my post, I go back and forth on it. I was thinking lately of getting a Macan and then I remember how paranoid I getting about parking my nice cars.

5. Member
      Cars
      17' Explorer Sport; '15 JKU Rubicon; '11Explorer; '05TJ;prior: '05PssatWgn; '99PssatWgn; '93pssat16V
      02-26-2019 07:43 AM #29

What I want to be different: There are several things I want from the higher trim levels. I really want the Rubi rock rails to finish off the lower part of the Jeep, I’ve been watching craigslist for them but nothing yet.
      I have a set of JLU rubicon rock rails I would sell for $200 but I'm in Metro Detroit

6. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-26-2019 08:26 AM #30
      I went through a similar type of thought process about 5 years ago, where I was pissed about driving my E90 around in stop and go traffic on mostly straight roads with a ton of potholes. I ended up with a Tacoma and ****ing hated it, and I think my problem was that I basically ended up with all the negatives related to your Wrangler with none of the positives. The Tacoma had **** mileage and didn't handle well, similar to a Wrangler, but I couldn't take the top off like the Wrangler, and the engine/trans combo in the JL is head and shoulders better than the one in the Taco.

With all of that said, I think you'll miss the crap out of your S2000 if you sell it. The other mistake I made in my Tacoma misadventure was selling my E90, I missed zipping around, matching revs and flinging the car around exit ramps here and there whenever an opening presented itself.

Cars
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      02-26-2019 08:46 AM #31
      I finally took my Wrongler out off the beaten path this past weekend and man, it just confirms how much I love this damn thing. If you are ever in Texas, let me know and let's go wheeling

http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
      2017 Bright White Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-26-2019 08:54 AM #32
      Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much.

I'm sure Auburn or someone has a good, drop in LSD for your stock axle. If you aren't re-gearing then the install is pretty simple and shouldn't be too much $$$ labor.

How is the new soft top connection system?

9. Member
      Cars
      02-26-2019 09:20 AM #33
      LJ rubi? nice. What part of TX were you in? I'm surprised there's not much closer to the metroplex, at least that I'd found. Seems like everyone around me just uses the undeveloped land to tear it up, but there's not much in the way of varied terrain.

Local dealer is offering "$5000 off MSRP" supposedly on 50 2019s, but I'm guessing they all sticker north of 40k. Still too rich for my blood, but we're gettin' there!
      edit: thanks zuckerberg!
      Last edited by zmt2; 02-26-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Cars
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      02-26-2019 09:29 AM #34
      That was at Hidden Falls which is just northwest of Austin by Marble Falls. There's absolutely nothing down here in Houston unless you want to go mudding. Dallas and some of the other northern areas have several offroad parks, as does central Texas but Houston is nada. It's fine though, only a 2.5 hour drive up there.

Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      LJ rubi? nice. What part of TX were you in? I'm surprised there's not much closer to the metroplex, at least that I'd found. Seems like everyone around me just uses the undeveloped land to tear it up, but there's not much in the way of varied terrain.

Local dealer is offering "$5000 off MSRP" supposedly on 50 2019s, but I'm guessing they all sticker north of 40k. Still too rich for my blood, but we're gettin' there!
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
      2017 Bright White Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

11. Member
      Cars
      02-26-2019 09:40 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      That was at Hidden Falls which is just northwest of Austin by Marble Falls. There's absolutely nothing down here in Houston unless you want to go mudding. Dallas and some of the other northern areas have several offroad parks, as does central Texas but Houston is nada. It's fine though, only a 2.5 hour drive up there.
      Yeah, hill country has a lot of good stuff. I have to imagine that houston at least has... mud?

12. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-26-2019 10:05 AM #36
      I love that there is no pretense to the thing, not one person looks at it like it’s a $45k wiener extension like they do when you buy a $45k 328i. I can drive it to my country club or to WalMart and not look like a jackass in either situation.
      Glad you like your Jeep, but your radar is way off on this comment.

Wranglers have absolutely replaced sports cars as one of the primary if not the #1 mid-life crisis/post-divorce vehicles for men in the United States. There is certainly pretense that the buyer is "rugged", "youthful", "an outdoorsman", "adventurous", and "up for anything". Waaaay more of a wiener extension than a German sport sedan. Sorry. By comparison, a 3er blends in much more and has much less pretense.

Cars
      Lifted BP Subaru
      02-26-2019 10:10 AM #37
      Ugh, I'd love to replace my aging Outback with a 2dr Sport model. I took out a JLU w/ 6spd and a JL with the auto. I was very surprised with the overall driveability of the 2dr w/ auto. It's on my short list, I'm just hoping I can hold out about another year.

This is exactly how I'd spec mine out.

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      I've pulled 1.2g on the toilet so color me unimpressed.
      FEELTHEBERN

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-26-2019 10:14 AM #38
      Nice write up Stack. Glad to see youre still really enjoying it
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 10:14 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Glad you like your Jeep, but your radar is way off on this comment.

Wranglers have absolutely replaced sports cars as one of the primary if not the #1 mid-life crisis/post-divorce vehicles for men in the United States. There is certainly pretense that the buyer is "rugged", "youthful", "an outdoorsman", "adventurous", and "up for anything". Waaaay more of a wiener extension than a German sport sedan. Sorry. By comparison, a 3er blends in much more and has much less pretense.
      Maybe where you are. The fact that you can buy a used Wrangler that looks essentially identical to a new one for <$20k, and that non car people think Wranglers are $25k vehicles, means there's zero snob appeal.

Is there a "lifestyle wannabe" statement? Sure, of course, but it's not a snob thing. People might look at the Wrangler and say "wow, look at this guy wanting to look like he goes camping every weekend" but no one is saying "look at this guy, thinks he's better than everyone else with his fancy Jeep". I don't think anyone looks at it as a wiener extension (unless jacked up and bro'd out); if anything it's almost reverse that, guys saying "yeah, I could buy a $60k BMW, but I decided to go with this instead because look how flashy I'm not."
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 10:17 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by pasateando View Post
      I have a set of JLU rubicon rock rails I would sell for $200 but I'm in Metro Detroit
      Wish I could take you up on it but gotta think the shipping would negate any savings

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-26-2019 10:19 AM #41
      Wish I could take you up on it but gotta think the shipping would negate any savings
      S(t)ack up and drive there.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

18. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-26-2019 10:20 AM #42
      ... if anything it's almost reverse that, guys saying "yeah, I could buy a $60k BMW, but I decided to go with this instead because look how flashy I'm not."
      Is the Wrangler a vehicular humblebrag? Guys I think we're onto something here.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 10:25 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much.

I'm sure Auburn or someone has a good, drop in LSD for your stock axle. If you aren't re-gearing then the install is pretty simple and shouldn't be too much $$$ labor.
      Half the reason to go to the LSD is you get the Dana 44 instead of the M200? that comes standard. So I completely missed the boat. Dumbass.

How is the new soft top connection system?
      I never used the old system, which I've heard is terrible, but it seems really good. I use the Sunrider position (flip two catches and flick back the front half of the top) way more than I thought I would. I do get a little nervous, a lot of the parts seem to be plastic, and I don't know how they'll hold up long term. Things like the channels for the windows and the tabs for the beam that holds the bottom of the rear winder, it all seems like it could loosen up or snap off over time with wear. Nothing bad yet, just appear as likely failure points if we're going to have any.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 10:27 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      S(t)ack up and drive there.
      Lease miles, man!

Actually, I'm just too damned busy, I don't have time on a weekend anytime soon to blow off the family for an entire day.

Cars
      2015 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Prius
      02-26-2019 10:32 AM #45
      45k for a 4dr jeep?! I gotta come out from under the rock more often!

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-26-2019 10:37 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
      A BASE 4dr Jeep no less (granted, loaded up on options). Sahara or Rubi would've been $5k+ higher. A loaded out Rubi with all options is like $56k?

23. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-26-2019 10:39 AM #47
      Maybe where you are. The fact that you can buy a used Wrangler that looks essentially identical to a new one for <$20k, and that non car people think Wranglers are $25k vehicles, means there's zero snob appeal.

Is there a "lifestyle wannabe" statement? Sure, of course, but it's not a snob thing. People might look at the Wrangler and say "wow, look at this guy wanting to look like he goes camping every weekend" but no one is saying "look at this guy, thinks he's better than everyone else with his fancy Jeep". I don't think anyone looks at it as a wiener extension (unless jacked up and bro'd out); if anything it's almost reverse that, guys saying "yeah, I could buy a $60k BMW, but I decided to go with this instead because look how flashy I'm not."
      I have a feeling that the affluent suburbs of Philadelphia are probably not much different than where you are. I recognize your town as a fan of Sebastian Maniscalco. You keep talking about money and it has nothing to do with that. That's where your radar is off IMO

It's cool, enjoy the ride

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-26-2019 10:47 AM #48
      "yeah, I could buy a $60k BMW, but I decided to go with this instead because look how flashy I'm not."
      So which is it, the Wrangler or Grand Cherokee? You mentioned a similar association with monied people for the GC in other threads. I don't think most people with money are driving wranglers unless it's their 5th vehicle or a bad weather car. I do see a lot of Wranglers on college campuses---they seem to be a favorite of coeds. Not sure that has ever changed, particularly at schools that have kids who come from money.

In any event, does the Wrangler purchase automatically enter you into the Jeep Wave program (free oil changes and tire rotations for 2 yrs)? Also, you tried out the Uconnect app? Pretty neat---at least for someone who traditionally prefers vehicles without all the frills.

25. Member
      Cars
      02-26-2019 10:55 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
      You can find them for ~30k OTD if you shop around, but that's a zero options (crank windows) vehicle. that's basically what my JKU was, and while it was $3500 or so cheaper, I think the JLU justifies that particular price premium.

Cars
      Several.
      02-26-2019 11:02 AM #50
      I've been in my JKU for about 3 months now, and I don't miss my Colorado one bit - except when it comes to mounting/hauling bikes.

The pickup bed was so much easier.

Surprisingly, the vehicle I should've kept was my Frontier. I miss that manuelly-shifted pickemup.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast