Fourtitude.com - 6 months in the Wrong(ler)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 11:16 AM #1
      TL;DR: I love it and you should get one.

As of tomorrow, Iíll have had my Jeep for exactly 6 months. I know this because I picked it up on my half birthday and tomorrow is my actual birthday. The odo currently stands at ~7450 miles, which is, umm, 74.5% of my annual lease mileage allowance, not 50% as it should be. Oops.

To recap, my Jeep is:
      -Unlimited Sport S (Sport is the base, S adds power windows, door locks, standard A/C, etc etc)
      -(base) 3.6L Pentastar V6
      -8AT
      -Dual tops
      -cold weather group (heat seats, wheel, remote start)
      -trailer group (hitch, bigger battery/alternator, aux switches)
      -Alpine stereo
      -tech package (7Ē touch screen with Uconnect and Apple Carplay, no native navigation, auto climate)
      -homelink
      -odds and ends like a bag for the soft top windows, all weather matts, etc.

Sticker was $45k-ish, and I got a few grand off on the lease without even trying hard.

I think thatís it. Notably, I goofed and failed to order the limited slip, because Iím dumb. That said, I have noticed basically zero negative effects of not having it (the virtual brake-based LSD traction control is pretty good) but it still pisses me off.

Iíve done very little aftermarket stuff, just a shorty antenna (Amazon, like $12), and I have a Weathertech cargo mat supposed to be delivered today (the OEM one is really narrow to accommodate the cargo rails I donít have). I also took off the stupid Euro bumpers and tossed them. I replaced the crappy OEM light bulbs with some Sylvanias, they are a little better but not much. There are some things Iíd like to do, but weíll get there as well.

What has gone wrong: Basically nothing. I have a cracked windshield (common) that Iíll get fixed when itís no longer ďdump rocks on the roadĒ season (caught a rock off a truck). Thank you USAA for NOT offering a glass package in my insurance, the fix is the same as my deductible, ~$500. My rear defroster doesnít work because the little metal tab snapped off the rear glass; itís an extremely common flaw. I donít really care if Iím honest, the rear window doesnít really fog, and I guess thereís a huge back order for rear glass as a result (they replace the whole glass piece, but the replacements are just as apt to fail). Iíll address this at my first oil change (still at ~20% oil life) but it will probably be soft top season by then. Also, every once in a while I get a little handshake weirdness between my phone and the Uconnect, like the steering wheel controls wonít work with the phone or something, but a jiggle of the cord or unplugging it and replugging it works fine. Who knows if thatís the Jeep or Apple. Clearly, 7500 miles, nothing should have gone wrong, but first year of a new FCA model, Iím pretty thrilled. My FCA wariness is a huge reason why I leased instead of bought. I have had a couple instances of what I think was death wobble; I have a highway nearby with rather large expansion joints and it has only happened on that road hitting those joints. Iíll mention it at my next service, but I am not worried about it.

What I like: Everything. Honestly. This was a huge departure for me, up until now I had only owned Japanese sedans and my S2000. This is like the opposite of those, and I love it. Everyone loves the damned thing, people at gas stations, my neighbors who donít care about cars, owners of older Jeeps, etc. Even my wife (who thought it was stupid) has come around and likes it. I love the Lego aspect of it, taking the doors off and fiddling with the roof and stuff. I love that itís a different vehicle in the winter when the HT goes on. I love that potholes and our terrible roads donít matter to this thing. I love that itís an absolute snow tank; I drove it to Northern WI last weekend in white-out conditions and it was rock solid in 4Hi. I love that itís fun to drive at normal speeds and you can just cruise around topless and not look like a jackass like when youíre revving the S2000 to 9k and everyone hates you. I love that there is no pretense to the thing, not one person looks at it like itís a $45k wiener extension like they do when you buy a $45k 328i. I can drive it to my country club or to WalMart and not look like a jackass in either situation.

The thing is a way better road trip car than I expected, which is why Iím so far over on miles (Iíve made 5 trips to WI in it). Itís a little noisy with the soft top, but with the HT itís perfectly acceptable, and the upright seating position is very comfortable. The performance is pretty good, it feels like it is considerably faster than my TSX was. The brakes are way better too. I tend to drive it slower and less aggressively; cruising at around 75 on the highways (speed limit of 70) versus 80-90 in the Acura. But it will do 100 or more, as I discovered passing slow cars on 2-lane roads over the weekend. Felt rock solid at that speed. Gas mileage has been great, ~20ish if you believe the trip computer, but whatís key is that it will drink any cheap swill you feed it, so no need for premium which is now a huge cost savings. I can fill the tank around here for under $40. I have a rear-facing Britax car seat and a random booster seat for my kids in the car nearly 100% of the time and it works great for them; the car seat in particular is at perfect height to buckle my younger one in.

The stereo is awesome, with a big thumping 10Ē sub, and Iím sure the other speakers are great too but itís hard to tell because it isnít Lexus quiet. The infotainment is awesome, making my wifeís 2G RDX look like itís 20 years old. I like that I donít have native Nav, Waze and Google Maps on Carplay are perfect, and the interface with Apple Music is pretty great. It doesnít work great with Pandora or Spotify, so I tend to not use those. I like that you can turn on the backup camera at any time; I use it pulling into my garage daily without having to shift into reverse to see if Iím all the way in (thatís what she said). You can customize the tray at the bottom of the screen to include frequently used apps, and so the camera is there for me. Itís useful for trailer towing too, something Iíve only done a couple times with a jet ski, but it worked fine. Trailer towing comes with the beefier battery and alternator, which I liked a lot when it was -26* here a few weeks ago and I didnít have to worry about whether the Jeep would start. I havenít used the aux switches for anything yet. I donít know if I will or not.

What I want to be different: There are several things I want from the higher trim levels. I really want the Rubi rock rails to finish off the lower part of the Jeep, Iíve been watching craigslist for them but nothing yet. You can get, for $500, proximity unlocking and locking on the higher trim levels, I wish I had that for loading kids in the car. I also wish I could have bought the LED light option available on higher trims, the aftermarket and Mopar LED kids are silly money ($1k-ish I think). But 95% of the time Iím in the suburbs and the lights are fine; itís only in the back woods where they are woefully inadequate. Lastly, the bigger 8.4Ē screen would be nice to have, but I really donít miss it and I donít need Uconnect nav, so itís not a big deal.

Whatís next and what Iíd do differently: As you can see, Iím still in the honeymoon stage here. I love this thing, and I really canít see not having it. But there are a few ways I could go next. A lot depends on what Jeep does, Iíve heard rumors that the 3.6L is getting the mild 48v hybrid system at some point. I really am not interested in that, it adds complexity for minimal benefit IMO. If thatís the case, Iíll probably buy out my lease. And then Iíd start thinking about making some changes, Iíd go with the K02 tires from the Rubi on the stock wheels, and I might look into an axle swap to get the LSD. If they donít do the hybrid, I will likely lease another JL. I am tempted by the Rubicon for the appearance and because who doesnít want the ďbestĒ version of their vehicle, but if Iím honest, itís kind of a dumb move. You can only lock the lockers in 4Lo, which you arenít ever going to use on the road, and the lockers preclude the LSD, so in inclement weather it wonít be any better than my Jeep, tire choices aside. But then I could get some of the above things that I want and canít get on a Sport. But it would be cheaper to just buy mine out and add those things in the aftermarket. So obviously I just talk myself in circles here. I think a lot depends on how reliable the Jeep is/isnít for the remainder of the lease.

On my Jeep, Iíd love to add the rock rails, and if I need tires before lease end Iíll go more aggressive. I would also like to do some aux lighting at some point, Mopar finally released their brackets for the plastic bumper. A couple cubes by the windshield and maybe some big round lights on the bumper (like you used to get stock on the TJ, I loved that look) would really help on the dark WI back roads (I donít care itís illegal, theyíre deserted). And Iíd like to rig up some rear lights for use while hunting early morning/late night. And I'd look into some sort of headlight conversion, LED or HID or something. Other than that, I donít really need to do much else to it, Iím pretty happy with it as-is.

In summary: I donít miss my S2000 in winter storage, and I REALLY donít miss my Acura, at all. The Jeep is perfect for my suburban driving on 45mph surface streets with 90* corners and terrible potholes and stop lights and cops and traffic. It is decent on the highway, and itís obviously excellent driving around the vacation property in either summer (towing toys, screwing around with light offroading, going topless/doorless) or winter (towing snowmobiles, handling deep snow). It works great as a family car (I drop both my daughters off every day). I thought I might get tired of the noisiness, the clumsiness, the poor quality, but none of those have really been true or bothersome. I can honestly say if I won a zillion dollars in Powerball tomorrow, Iíd still keep my Jeep, or one very much like it, around as a regular driver.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-21-2019 11:34 AM #2
      I have a cracked windshield
      Congrats. You're a jeep owner. funny thing is I sold mine w/ the crack and the carvana folks didn't bat an eye.

The middle run deep discounts can't get here soon enough. I really want a base-ass 6mt green JLU. Your posts don't help either.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-21-2019 11:36 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      : Basically nothing. I have a cracked windshield (common) that Iíll get fixed when itís no longer ďdump rocks on the roadĒ season (caught a rock off a truck). Thank you USAA for NOT offering a glass package in my insurance, the fix is the same as my deductible, ~$500.
      Nice, I have never really cared for Wranglers as a general-purpose kind of vehicle but the new ones are a lot more appealing to me. Now they remind me a lot of the utilitarian early versions of the 4Runner, Montero, Trooper, etc.

I ran into the same issue with the windshield on my wife's car -- it is an expensive job (almost $800, plus $300 to recalibrate the camera) since you have to use OEM glass with the blacked-out area and mount for the camera. (On the 2016 car without a camera it is a flat $299 at Safelite.)

Anyway, after discovering this and paying the $500 deductible, I called our insurance (Costco/Ameriprise) and inquired about adding glass coverage. They don't offer it, either, but we ended up dropping the non-collision comprehensive deductible to $50 which covers glass, vandalism, if a tree falls on it, etc. and it only raised the premium by $50 a year... so maybe look into that.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 11:39 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Nice, I have never really cared for Wranglers as a general-purpose kind of vehicle but the new ones are a lot more appealing to me. Now they remind me a lot of the utilitarian early versions of the 4Runner, Montero, Trooper, etc.

I ran into the same issue with the windshield on my wife's car -- it is an expensive job (almost $800, plus $300 to recalibrate the camera) since you have to use OEM glass with the blacked-out area and mount for the camera. (On the 2016 car without a camera it is a flat $299 at Safelite.)

Anyway, after discovering this and paying the $500 deductible, I called our insurance (Costco/Ameriprise) and inquired about adding glass coverage. They don't offer it, either, but we ended up dropping the non-collision comprehensive deductible to $50 which covers glass, vandalism, if a tree falls on it, etc. and it only raised the premium by $50 a year... so maybe look into that.
      That's exactly what I did, deductible to $100, except it doesn't help for the first cracked windshield.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

6. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-21-2019 11:39 AM #5
      Also check FB marketplace over time for OEM takeoffs. I'm already seeing a bunch of stuff here, but I live in collin's bros country (litereally). You'd be surprised, or maybe not, at the number of people that will ditch the OEM LED setup for some knockoff JW speakers because they're convinced it's better. rock rails are the same way. Someone out there will want big'ol side steps and they'll ditch the OEM rails. just give it time.

7. Member
      Cars
      2015 Focus ST
      02-21-2019 11:42 AM #6
      I would not Dona axle swap for a posi unless your going for the D44.

Other then that just find a shop to install the one you want, and strongly consider a re-gear for the tires.
      Wearing a disguise, and pretending to be someone else?

That goes against all my instincts as a actor...

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 11:44 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Also check FB marketplace over time for OEM takeoffs. I'm already seeing a bunch of stuff here, but I live in collin's bros country (litereally). You'd be surprised, or maybe not, at the number of people that will ditch the OEM LED setup for some knockoff JW speakers because they're convinced it's better. rock rails are the same way. Someone out there will want big'ol side steps and they'll ditch the OEM rails. just give it time.
      Good call on FB market. I saw rails on C-list for ~$225, which was the right price (Mopar wants $450) but they were in IN and I was heading away for the weekend. I'm just waiting for something to pop locally, it will, it just takes time.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 11:48 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I would not Dona axle swap for a posi unless your going for the D44.
      That's what it would be. I know the assembly new from Mopar is like $2500 (and not sure that is with everything), it would have to be about half that before I'd even consider it.

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      02-21-2019 11:50 AM #9
      I drove one and hated it. It was loud, rattled, got poor gas mileage, drove kind of like a tractor. That said, I loved that I had ZERO care in the world about about getting stuck, driving over something or scratching it.

I can't stop thinking about it. I realized that's what I loved about my 15yr old VW. I enjoyed a vehicle that I didn't have to worry about. I enjoyed a SIMPLE interior, controls etc. I enjoyed a vehicle that wasn't perfect, quirky, and had some character. The VW I had was loud, rattled, broke often and very simple in its execution.

I kind of want a Gladiator with a manual.

11. Member
      Cars
      GX470
      02-21-2019 11:55 AM #10
      Awesome commentary. If you didn't have your s2000, and this was your do it all car - do you believe you would miss having the manual sporty car? OR, is the wrangler so good and fun that it satisfies that desire, all while being completely user friendly and non-aggressive, year round. It's why I've told myself, before my instinct leads me to want a 4dr hot hatch, I should really really really REALLY entertain an JLU, exactly how you packaged yours

Cars
      2014 JSW TDi Wolfsburg
      02-21-2019 11:55 AM #11
      Former 3x JKU owner here, currently driving a 2019 JLU as a rental. Personally, wasn't super impressed with the "improvements" over the comparable JKU but I'm still in the divorce stage with my last JKU where I was tired of its handling, fuel economy and cumbersome-ness.

That said, I too have noticed that the JLU veers very close to Death Wobble over highway expansion joints. Several times I've had to let right off the gas and coast for a moment or two after hitting one before I feel its settled. Never had that issue once in any of my JK's stock or modified.

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying theirs, I'm sure it won't be long before the bug bites again and I start wanting one back, probably those first few warm days of spring where I would be thinking about taking the HT off and installing the softtop. Enjoy!

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 12:03 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Awesome commentary. If you didn't have your s2000, and this was your do it all car - do you believe you would miss having the manual sporty car? OR, is the wrangler so good and fun that it satisfies that desire, all while being completely user friendly and non-aggressive, year round. It's why I've told myself, before my instinct leads me to want a 4dr hot hatch, I should really really really REALLY entertain an JLU, exactly how you packaged yours
      I have the same question for myself. This summer will be telling.

I have a few relatively unique things working against the S2000:

-I have two kids, so I can make the S work with my older daughter, any day I have to drop off both kids doesn't work. In the summer we usually have a nanny so it doesn't matter as much, but it's still limiting.

-I live in suburban midwest sports car hell. There are zero enthusiast roads. There is no place to drive for fun. Even fun drives are more about scenery than driving (like taking a ride up Lake Shore Drive). In a car like the S2000, where you really need curvy roads for it to be fun (can't just do stop light pulls like in a Mustang), it's pretty disheartening. When I drove a TSX, which was boring as hell, the S2000 was way more fun due to the top down aspect. I'm not sure the S2000 will be more fun than the Jeep around here.

Also, I've had my S for 12 years now. It might just be familiarity breeding boredom. I store it offsite in WI all winter, so this spring I'll be back up there to bring it home. The plan is to have it in the garage, and see how much I drive it. If I find I never do, well, then I have some thinking to do.

We'll see.

14. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw
      02-21-2019 12:30 PM #13
      I miss mine so much

Also, stop being a cheap SOB and upgrade to a $0 comprehensive deductible. Youíll be surprised at how little it adds vs a $500 deductible.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 12:41 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      I miss mine so much

Also, stop being a cheap SOB and upgrade to a $0 comprehensive deductible. Youíll be surprised at how little it adds vs a $500 deductible.
      I went with $100, $0 was a lot more in comparison.

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      02-21-2019 12:43 PM #15
      Good to hear your Jeep is treating you well, my JKU will be paid off next month so the itch will be starting soon.

If you want to go LSD you probably can just get the diff on its own without buying the entire axle housing unless something has changed with the JL vs JK. There's always someone out there putting an Eaton or ARB in their factory housing.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-21-2019 12:44 PM #16
      The windshield thing is bad. Ours has 65k and my wife over the weekend just sent the third to death row in four years. I would imagine having auto wipers or radar or anything else that needs to be calibrated on these things to be a bad idea.

18. Member
      Cars
      GX470
      02-21-2019 12:59 PM #17

-I live in suburban midwest sports car hell. There are zero enthusiast roads. There is no place to drive for fun. Even fun drives are more about scenery than driving (like taking a ride up Lake Shore Drive). In a car like the S2000, where you really need curvy roads for it to be fun (can't just do stop light pulls like in a Mustang), it's pretty disheartening. When I drove a TSX, which was boring as hell, the S2000 was way more fun due to the top down aspect. I'm not sure the S2000 will be more fun than the Jeep around here.
      Man, I'm in the exact same car dilemma or realization of having a fun car. I believe we have this illusion that we read/watch all this information about fun to drive cars, but how often do you really get to use it vs how often is that type of vehicle stressful.

That said, I have to have some sort of fun car, or unique car. When I drive an appliance, I always get "the itch" because at the end of the day I really will always like a good driving vehicle.

I've often wondered, with the lack of good roads around me, and midwest climate, why not drive a wrangler - where the fun experience isn't racing around - its just being present in this vehicle that can nearly face anything, but also has a really cool trick of being able to drop the top (I've owned 2 s2000's myself and theres nothing that makes me giggle more than open air motoring).

19. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      02-21-2019 01:17 PM #18
      I went with $100, $0 was a lot more in comparison.
      Uffda.

Well, 100 isnít bad. Between our old Jeep, and the other cars with all the forward facing cameras and sensors, getting the best deductible for comprehensive nowadays is a no-brainer.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

20. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      02-21-2019 01:21 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AllieJetta View Post
      Former 3x JKU owner here, currently driving a 2019 JLU as a rental. Personally, wasn't super impressed with the "improvements" over the comparable JKU but I'm still in the divorce stage with my last JKU where I was tired of its handling, fuel economy and cumbersome-ness.

That said, I too have noticed that the JLU veers very close to Death Wobble over highway expansion joints. Several times I've had to let right off the gas and coast for a moment or two after hitting one before I feel its settled. Never had that issue once in any of my JK's stock or modified.

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying theirs, I'm sure it won't be long before the bug bites again and I start wanting one back, probably those first few warm days of spring where I would be thinking about taking the HT off and installing the softtop. Enjoy!
      This describes me completely!
      I had 3 JKUs from 2007 thru 2018.
      I just got road-weary from it, over that stretch of time (amongst other motivations), and needed/wanted something completely different.
      The JLU didn't seem to be a huge improvement (and I am not saying that the JKU was bad), where I felt the need for a fourth 4 door Wrangler.
      If I get the Wrangler bug again, I'll try to find a TJ Unlimited in NATO desert sand.

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      02-21-2019 01:23 PM #20
      I have the same question for myself. This summer will be telling.

I have a few relatively unique things working against the S2000:

-I have two kids, so I can make the S work with my older daughter, any day I have to drop off both kids doesn't work. In the summer we usually have a nanny so it doesn't matter as much, but it's still limiting.

Also, I've had my S for 12 years now. It might just be familiarity breeding boredom. I store it offsite in WI all winter, so this spring I'll be back up there to bring it home. The plan is to have it in the garage, and see how much I drive it. If I find I never do, well, then I have some thinking to do.

We'll see.
      I guarantee you will miss the S2000 after it's gone. I had a TJ back in the day and it was the best thing in the world until around the end of year 2 when it needed more maintenance and the overall awesomeness of an open top Wrangler faded. A Wrangler / SUV + sports car combination is kind of the sweet spot.

22. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      02-21-2019 01:24 PM #21

I have a cracked windshield (common) that Iíll get fixed when itís no longer ďdump rocks on the roadĒ season (caught a rock off a truck). Thank you USAA for NOT offering a glass package in my insurance, the fix is the same as my deductible, ~$500.
      Every Wrangler (2 YJs, and 3 JKUs) that I have ever owned needed a new windshield, at least once a year.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-21-2019 01:26 PM #22
      That was the other reason behind the lease, the potential "road weariness" you mentioned.

I don't know if it will happen or not, but if it does, I can just walk away.

Because I don't drive a lot of long distances, I don't know if it will happen, but it might.

24. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      02-21-2019 01:42 PM #23
      I actually didnít mind driving mine on the highway on our Montana road trips. The only time it didnít feel stable was in 60 mph crosswinds in South Dakota and Wyoming.

**** I want it back. Hopefully a TJ is in my future as another toy car.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      228i, JKU, Cabriolet
      02-21-2019 01:47 PM #24
      When we had our first JKU, we went through 4 windshields in 3 years, luckily I had $0 deductible glass coverage (pretty common in MN).

I finally caved and gave it a unibrow (bug/stone deflector). We got a chip or 2, but it never cracked again.

When we bought our 2nd JKU, I immediately put a deflector on it. It'll be a year next month, and 20K miles, and no chips or cracks (I'm sure that will change now that I have posted this).

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      02-21-2019 03:45 PM #25
      See, this is sort of where i'm at. I barely get over 40 driving around town day to day. But I'd love to have a car capable of being a drop-top in the summer and snow-capable, plus all-around being able to deal with potholes. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the PHEV is like, although even the mild-hybrid wouldn't be too much of an MPG penalty over my current, premium-drinking v6. I know this is maybe a bit the antithesis of jeepin', but it'd be awesome to get LKE/ACC/lane-centering in it too.

I'm also hoping they don't do away with the 2-door by the time my kid is out of a full size carseat.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast