Fourtitude.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
      07-10-2019 05:33 PM #151
      Zion NP is one of theost beautiful places on earth.

I went in late fall and there were zero crowds anywhere. Only saw about 10 other people the whole way up/down angels landing.

Did you do the narrows in normal hiking gear? Most people do it in wetsuits as part of a canyoning tour.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-10-2019 07:30 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Zion NP is one of theost beautiful places on earth.

I went in late fall and there were zero crowds anywhere. Only saw about 10 other people the whole way up/down angels landing.

Did you do the narrows in normal hiking gear? Most people do it in wetsuits as part of a canyoning tour.
      Yep, cheap hiking shoes(actually my lawn mowing shoes) and hiking pants. Water is cold but since I started around noon the sun was in the canyon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      (useless update)
      Day 10, July 5th: Woke up at 3:40am just a bit north of Salt Lake City, I pushed on to Twin Falls, ID just to get to a Starbucks where I can put in a half a day of work. From 6am to noon I worked and then by 2pm I was at my friends house in Nampa, ID. Slow day, work and then catch up with my friend while we plan for our camping trip that starts tomorrow. As it usually happens, to many drinks were had and after other Oregon friend also joined us, it was a very late night. I liver didn't like this day..

4. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-10-2019 08:22 PM #153
      Day 11, July 6th: After last nights shenanigans, nobody got up at the agreed 6am leave time, we rolled out around noon. My GTI stayed at my friends house while we took my Oregon friends Tacoma. Since we left so late, we skipped the natural hot springs and headed straight to Stanley, ID to setup camp and hike.

I tired to find a hike that had amazing scenery while not being overly hard so we settled with hiking to Sawtooth Lake, 8.5 miles and 1,758 ft elevation gain. I guess I misunderstood how out of shape my married friends were, there was bitching, moaning and crying. We did make it to the top and everyone agreed that scenery was spectacular but next days hike was scratched out. I myself was blown away how beautiful Idaho is! My friend that is from Idaho has actually never seen his state, so I drove 4000 miles just to show him his own state.

With the hike done, we found a free camping spot next to a stream, lite a fire and popped open our first beers for the day. I bought beer for the 3 day, 2 night stay, it all disappeared the first night.. I don't think anyone within 100s of feet of our campsite liked us, drinking went on well past midnight. All ended well though, nobody did anything very stupid.

And before anyone says it, I know I need a rig like my friends.

5. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-11-2019 10:10 PM #154
      Day 12, July 7th: After last nights drinking, morning was hard, some people didn't remember everything from last night. Somehow we made breakfast and tried to think what we will do for the day, only natural hotsprings sounded good. We found some hotsprings about 7 miles away from our campsite and sat around for 3-4 hours, there were 4 pools, hottest measured at 108 degrees. The owner of the Tacoma was really not feeling well so we went back to the campsite, packed up and headed back home. I was bummed that the trip was cut short but I knew I was in no shape to hike anyway. Rest of the day was spent nursing ourselves back to health by drinking beer..

6. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      07-11-2019 10:18 PM #155
      Amazing how that happens.

Glad you're having fun!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

7. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      07-16-2019 12:43 PM #156
      OP, are you still alive? I hope you starting bringing water with you while hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      As it is becoming standard, I hiked unprepared, as in with no water nor food...

8. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-17-2019 10:05 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      OP, are you still alive? I hope you starting bringing water with you while hiking...
      Alive and well, been in places where there is no services for days at a time. Will be catching up in the upcoming days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 13, July 8th: I made myself wake up early to start planning the trip coming up, never try be productive while at a friends house..

I did do something, bought food for the next week and also did a check of the GTI. I was surprised to find that the coolant reservoir had failed, I tapped the dark spot lightly with my knuckle and it fell apart. I was glad that VW of Boise had a reservoir in stock so $50 later the GTI was repaired.

I had decided that I will continue with my trip the following day so my friend and his wife took me out to a brewery. While the beer is good in Nampa/Boise area I found that they lacked in good food.(my friends opinion also) After the brewery my friends wife wanted to show off the fanciest Albertsons I have ever seen. The amount of wine, cheese, prosciutto, etc options was staggering. To thank my hosts, I bought some wine, cheese, grapes, etc and we went back home to sit around a fire while watching the sunset.(no picture of fire-ring since my friends wife and kids are in the picture) It was a good way to end the stay at my friends house.

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      07-18-2019 06:09 AM #158
      Haha love the drinking stories. Sounds so...familiar. Great updates and pics.

10. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-18-2019 01:26 PM #159
      Day 14, July 9th: I wanted to wake up at 6am EST(4am local) since I needed to figure out a few things for work but that didn't work out, I woke up 7am local. My friend and his family like to sleep-in so I didn't need to go through the long goodbyes. During our camping trip, I was so amazing with Idaho that I went back to the same place. In my plans was the hike that we didn't do at Redfish Lake. I took a ferry at noon to the other side of Redfish Lake and hiked 13 miles, 2,580 elevation gain to the divide and back. I pushed myself just to sweat out the drinking in the past few days, hike was complete in just under 5 hours.

With the hike done, I went to the same camping spot that we stayed at with my friends. It was a quiet evening of cooking, collecting firewood, swimming in the cold stream and by 10:30pm I was in bed.

It is hard to explain how I fell for Idaho, seriously, I think this is my new favorite state to visit. Weather is amazing, cool during the day, chilly at night. Camping is not crowded and we found empty amazing campsites on weekend of July 4th. The roads are fun, scenery is as good as other very popular states, hiking trails are not packed and there are free natural hotsprings every few miles! Idaho surprised me, its a well hidden secret, at least it was from me. I will be back more than once.

11. Member
      Cars
      Ram & S4
      07-18-2019 04:49 PM #160
      Amazing pictures of Idaho Definitely makes it tempting as a place to wander around and see the sights.

Thank you!

12. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      07-18-2019 05:01 PM #161
      I suppose I should visit Idaho as well.
      Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

13. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-20-2019 10:27 PM #162
      Day 15, July 10th: Woke up in what was my best camping spot so far. I was leaving the Sawtooth area, I didn't want to. After putting away the tent, I went looking for hot springs and got lucky with an amazing spot. I sat around for 2 hours before finally continuing with my drive. Todays destination was Missoula MT area.

The drive through Idaho was just amazing, the road twisted and turned with great views everywhere. I stopped for late breakfast at some random pull-off with some good views. After the late breakfast, I noticed a sign about a ghost town so up a gravel road I went to find a mining ghost town. I walked around for an hour or so before continuing.

The rest of the day, I drove, scenery was great but I didn't do anymore stops until I got to Missoula. In Missoula I stopped at a Starbucks to do some research for the following day and pushed on to a Pilot for the night.

14. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-20-2019 10:35 PM #163
      Day 16, July 11th: I was up at 6am and headed down a gravel road to find a hike to Heart and Pearl Lakes Trail. After the hike I decided to explore the gravel road a bit more and drove to the summit which is the Idaho/Montana state line. Not knowing what is down the road and not having service, I turned around and continued to Wallace ID. In Wallace I walked around for a bit before continuing via dirt roads to Pearson and then Avery. I am so glad that I lifted my GTI and installed these A/T tires, seriously I would be fighting punctures every mile, especially the way I am driving.

The dirt road leading from Wallace to Pearson started off slow but really opened up later, the best road was from Pearson to Avery. The dirt road to Avery followed a creek and there were camp spots in random places, I stopped at one to eat lunch, swim and relax. The water was cool, there were no people around and it felt just perfect. Before Avery I went through 3 tunnels while on a gravel road but I didn't stop to take a picture, I don't why not. After Avery the gravel/dirt ended and I enjoyed 60+ miles of amazing twisty roads! I am just in awe from Idaho, this state has more than surprised me.

Once in Coeur d'Alene I did my usual, Starbucks and work. For the night I pushed on to Bonners Ferry and slept at a small truck stop called Threemile Corner. I wanted to be closer to my destination for tomorrow.

The only hiccup I had for the day was on the bridge from Pearson, I flew the drone but learned a lesson, metal bridges really mess up the compass on a drone. The drone went full crazy at landing and started to fly high speed loops, I had only 3% battery so I force crash landed the drone into some bushes, it survived! Well, it only broken 1 blade from what I noticed a day later.

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      07-21-2019 05:32 AM #164
      Ah I love this thread. Idaho is beautiful for sure.

Also your description of the weather is apt. We are stuck in the heat bubble in NH and I happened to check weather out that way yesterday. 70-80's during the day and 40-50's at night....what I wouldn't give right now. It is currently 79 degrees at 5am...in my kitchen.

Seems you headed back to Idaho from MT but if you end up taking 90 East from Missoula for some reason you can take the Pintler Loop and there is a cool old mining/ghost town early on in the loop you can go to. Having your A/T tires would make it easy for you to drive up and take a look.

It's called Granite Ghost Town and is in Phillipsburg. Here is a site I found. https://passionsandplaces.com/2019/0...ana-road-trip/

16. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-22-2019 09:23 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Ah I love this thread. Idaho is beautiful for sure.

Also your description of the weather is apt. We are stuck in the heat bubble in NH and I happened to check weather out that way yesterday. 70-80's during the day and 40-50's at night....what I wouldn't give right now. It is currently 79 degrees at 5am...in my kitchen.

Seems you headed back to Idaho from MT but if you end up taking 90 East from Missoula for some reason you can take the Pintler Loop and there is a cool old mining/ghost town early on in the loop you can go to. Having your A/T tires would make it easy for you to drive up and take a look.

It's called Granite Ghost Town and is in Phillipsburg. Here is a site I found. https://passionsandplaces.com/2019/0...ana-road-trip/
      Thanks, I will have to add that to my future list. Idaho and Montana will definitely need another trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 17, July 12th: I was awake by 5:30am local and continued on my way to Montana, soon I was back in MST and lost an hour. My destination was Lake Leigh but on the way I stopped by Kootenai Falls where I cooked up so breakfast and enjoyed the views. With breakfast and falls behind me, I was soon at Lake Leigh. While the hike isn't long(2.7 miles total), in just 1.3 miles the hike climbs 1,200 ft elevation. The views were spectacular and there was not much people, it was the first time I was calling out for bears, none were seen. Once at the top I found out that I forgot the battery for my drone... To my surprise the only person I saw during the whole hike was another guy with an identical drone! Since the guy had 3 batteries, he allowed me to use one for a short time, we both had a laugh at how random this encounter/coincidence was.

For the rest of the day I headed north to Yaak Montana and explored that area. I was amazing how many decent roads Montana has and especially with the 70 mph speed limit one can enjoy them. While in Yaak, I went up a gravel road to where an old fire tower used to be located, now its just a top of the mountain overlook. While the scenery wasn't breath-taking, it was enjoyable to just sit around at the top and relax for a moment. For the night I went back down past Libby and to Lake Koocanusa where I got a campsite for $5. I was asleep by 9pm local just so I can get up early next day since I was going to enter Glacier NP.

More and more during this trip I was enjoying what I did with the GTI, by now I have done 100's of miles of gravel roads, GTI was taking a lot of abuse.

17. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      07-22-2019 09:28 PM #166
      I'm really enjoying this thread, please, don't stop doing what you're doing.
      Instagram - efrie004

18. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-22-2019 09:38 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I'm really enjoying this thread, please, don't stop doing what you're doing.
      Thanks. I won't quit, its important to myself since I like reading through this years later.(I copy and paste this to a private journal that I can save offline) Working on a few more entries now(downloading photos) while researching tomorrows itinerary.

19. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-23-2019 09:54 AM #168
      Day 18, July 13th: This was finally the day I was going to see Glacier NP and it wasn't burning!(I tried to visit the park in 2015 and 2018, both years it was burning when I tried to visit) I left Lake Koocanusa and blasted up Hwy 37 doing 70-85mph, it was amazing and I only had to pass 2 cars in about 50 miles! By 8am I was already in Polebridge Montana buying the Huckleberry pastries that I read about and by 8:50am I had my breakfast setup and cooking on the shores of lake Bowman! I can't think of a better way to start a day then cooking and enjoying breakfast on the shore of Lake Bowman, the scenery is just something else. I stuck around the lake for a bit and then headed for my day hikes, first Lake Avalanche and then Hidden Lake. Both hikes were easy and worth it but what everyone definitely needs to do is the drive up Going to the Sun Road, what a road!! I was in no hurry going up Going to the Sun Road, I let the views sink in. I don't usually add pictures of myself but this one had a story behind it, I was given a nickname of "mountain man" when some people caught me swimming in the freezing Avalanche Lake. I was far from most other people since I hiked to the other side of the lake, didn't have swimwear so I was swimming in boxers.

Around 6pm, I was on the other side of Going to the Sun Road so I pulled off at a nice overlook and cooked myself dinner. Yes, people give you the look but I gave them the "I feel sorry for you" look since they will be eating dinner in some walled room while I had these views to enjoy with my dinner. With dinner done, I pushed on to Leaning Tree Cafe and Campground that is located in Babb Montana, I picked this location since it was so close to Many Glacier. At Leaning Tree I negotiated a rate for car camping, $20 with shower and 2 candy bars!(don't know how I got the 2 candy bars into the deal) After the shower, I remembered that I forgot to download maps of the trails I will be taking in Many Glacier so off I went to looking for bars of LTE.. I went to sleep at midnight knowing that I had to get up at 4:45am so I can be the first of "first come first serve" campsites in Many Glacier the following morning.

20. Member
      Cars
      Ram & S4
      07-23-2019 11:46 AM #169
      Another great thread How cold is the water?!

How much longer are you on the road? This is your second (?) road trip you have shared - in the future, would you keep going in the GTI or what would be an "ideal" option with all the things now that you have these experiences traveling.

21. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2020 Subaru Ascent
      07-23-2019 11:56 AM #170
      My wife has been talking about living in Idaho for the past few weeks. I'm going to send her a link to this thread.

Great stuff as usual!

22. 07-23-2019 12:17 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      My wife has been talking about living in Idaho for the past few weeks. I'm going to send her a link to this thread.

Great stuff as usual!
      Send her this picture and she will move right out on you.

23. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2020 Subaru Ascent
      07-23-2019 12:19 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Send her this picture and she will move right out on you.

24. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      07-23-2019 12:52 PM #173
      That spot near the lake, where you cooked a meal.

What a terrible place to have to cook a meal, that view, horrible.
      Instagram - efrie004

25. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-23-2019 01:03 PM #174
      Thanks to the amazing pictures, just reading through this thread feels like taking a vacation. It also helps that I used to own a GTI like that one, just with 4 doors...and yeah now I miss that car.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

26. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      07-23-2019 01:22 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That spot near the lake, where you cooked a meal.

What a terrible place to have to cook a meal, that view, horrible.
      Very terrible. I volunteer to take OPs spot so he doesn't have to finish his awful road trip.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast