Fourtitude.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      03-22-2019 07:25 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Or a Ham Radio license and a 2-meter HT for even more range. I have a license and carry one for snowmobiling in case of emergencies. It's easy to think emergencies won't happen, but unfortunately sometimes they do and you don't want to be without communications. Even if the emergency is someone else's that you've come across, it's invaluable to be able to help.
      This is a good point. Once you're outside of cell tower range, getting help or rescue for you or somebody else can be really tough. Another option would be a locating beacon. It's something to consider, anyways, if you're going to be off the beaten path for varying periods of time.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      03-22-2019 08:33 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      off the beaten path
      Funny this just reminded me of a book I was given before I headed West called "Off the Beaten Path - Montana". http://www.discoverbooks.com/Montana...caAoShEALw_wcB

I didn't realize it but there are also OTBP books about other states. Might be some decent places to check out pawa.

4. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw
      03-22-2019 09:06 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      You should do the Absaroka Beartooths if you can.

CSB - My Dad was on the trail crew that put in the trail from Cooke City to East Rosebud.
      You HAVE to do the beartooths, OP. One of the best roads in the US.

My wife was lucky enough to be born into a family with land at east rosebud. We’ll be heading out in August this year...unfortunately our Yeep is gone :/

Also, regarding the east rosebud trail - it starts where all the private cabin property is located, but there is public parking just outside, I highly recommend checking the trail out.
      Last edited by Pizza Cat!!!!; 03-22-2019 at 09:20 AM.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      '17 GTI, '19 Atlas
      03-22-2019 10:49 AM #79
      If you happen through Great Falls while in MT drop me a PM. There's not a lot here but there's some decent food and local brews.

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-22-2019 10:49 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      We’ll be heading out in August this year
      O'rly?
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

7. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw
      03-22-2019 10:54 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      O'rly?
      Yeah, has to be August because of some other restrictions. We still don’t have the start and end date ironed out yet.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

8. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      05-13-2019 08:08 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      If you happen through Great Falls while in MT drop me a PM. There's not a lot here but there's some decent food and local brews.
      Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for everyones laughs and "I am not a slave to payments/house", Previa jokes.

Starting to build a bed/floor/storage in the GTI since you can't tent camp everywhere. Also, this will be an option in a few locations where bears(especially Grizzly) are active. From my understanding, if bears are active in certain areas in Glacier, they make you either move camp or you are limited to hard-sided camping.(inside RV, bus, car)

The idea is to build a floor and storage that is somewhat easy to remove. I can use this floor for when I do my longer trips but it will be easy enough to take out and store. I will need to figure out how to secure it since nobody wants plywood flying around if there is an accident.

9. Member
      Cars
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      05-13-2019 08:27 AM #83
      Smart. We may be looking at the next chapter for Van Life.

You are correct that GNP does prohibit tents if there is bear activity around the campgrounds.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      05-13-2019 08:29 AM #84
      Wow. I admire your dedication and enthusiasm but have to think you are trying really hard to do something in a car that isn't very well suited for the task. I'd be tempted to find alternative transportation even if just to use on the trip and then resell upon your return.

Interested to see what you come up with though.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-13-2019 09:58 AM #85
      You go dude, break away from the man! No more labor slave!!

Looks good, this is fun to watch.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 Accord, 2012 Escape, 69 (nice) Beetle
      05-13-2019 11:35 AM #86
      If you'll be cooking, and if you can afford it, a fridge was a game changer for us. Even a 20qt is big enough for 2 people for a few days camping, since you don't ha e ice, and your stuff stays dry.

You do have to think about battery/wiring/charging, but might be worth it in such a small space.

On the plywood, I've always wanted a riv-nut kit, and that looks like a good excuse.

13. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-13-2019 11:52 AM #87
      I miss my GTI. Anyway to the point about a solid piece of plywood in an accident...I think it would work like a horizontal guillotine. Maybe a couple layers of pressed cardboard w/some sort of blanket on top would do the trick and remain safe?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-13-2019 12:32 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I miss my GTI. Anyway to the point about a solid piece of plywood in an accident...I think it would work like a horizontal guillotine. Maybe a couple layers of pressed cardboard w/some sort of blanket on top would do the trick and remain safe?
      Don't you think if he cuts it to fit as tight as he has patterned his cardboard, the plywood probably won't move in an accident? His bags/luggage on the other hand would probably slide around more unless it is stored in the rear footwells under the plywood.

15. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      05-14-2019 12:27 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Wow. I admire your dedication and enthusiasm but have to think you are trying really hard to do something in a car that isn't very well suited for the task. I'd be tempted to find alternative transportation even if just to use on the trip and then resell upon your return.

Interested to see what you come up with though.
      I do this kind of trips 1-2 times a year so the temp vehicle wouldn't work. Plus I really don't want another car/truck, went from 5 to 3 and its still a headache(thanks 944).

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You go dude, break away from the man! No more labor slave!!

Looks good, this is fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha640 View Post
      If you'll be cooking, and if you can afford it, a fridge was a game changer for us. Even a 20qt is big enough for 2 people for a few days camping, since you don't ha e ice, and your stuff stays dry.

You do have to think about battery/wiring/charging, but might be worth it in such a small space.

On the plywood, I've always wanted a riv-nut kit, and that looks like a good excuse.
      Good idea but its to much work and cost. This is a daily that does 50 miles a day when I am not doing a roadtrip. I have a larger Yeti cooler that I use to store food and its bear-resistant(for when camping in bear country)

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Doubt pressed cardboard would work, or it can but that would be much more work. I have a few ideas how to secure the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Don't you think if he cuts it to fit as tight as he has patterned his cardboard, the plywood probably won't move in an accident? His bags/luggage on the other hand would probably slide around more unless it is stored in the rear footwells under the plywood.
      Some of the storage space will be where the passenger seat was. I will have a cooler in the back, trying to figure out how to secure it. There are metal anchor points in the back that I want to use to secure the plywood.

16. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-14-2019 12:37 PM #90
      OP, you inspired me to put together a winter setup for my MK5, a suspension lift and bigger tires. Can you answer a few questions about the setup?

- What kind of Tiguan springs did you use? FWD or AWD?
      - How did your OEM dampers handle the extra height? Do you think Tiguan dampers would fit/work?
      - Any rubbing with the bigger tires?
      - How is the ride and handling?

I'd really appreciate some feedback!

17. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      05-14-2019 01:12 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      OP, you inspired me to put together a winter setup for my MK5, a suspension lift and bigger tires. Can you answer a few questions about the setup?

- What kind of Tiguan springs did you use? FWD or AWD?
      - How did your OEM dampers handle the extra height? Do you think Tiguan dampers would fit/work?
      - Any rubbing with the bigger tires?
      - How is the ride and handling?

I'd really appreciate some feedback!
      - MK1 Tiguan(2009-2011) FWD

- My front left shock was weak at nearly 100k miles, it would over-extend over larger bumps/road imperfections. Tiguan shocks can probably fit but I wouldn't recommend them, they are longer which will help with the over-extending but they will significantly shorten the life of your left axle. DAP just lifted their Alltrack and used longer shocks, blew out the left axle quickly.(left axle is short so during full droop, it puts a lot of stress on joints) I have Koni Yellows now don't have issues with over-extending even at the softest setting. I think the springs settling also helped(I had new springs).

- Zero rubbing, I went with the tire size I have after measuring everything. I could have went a size larger but there was a chance of rubbing. I also didn't want the tire close to fender since you need clearance for tire pickup, especially if you pickup some rocks or mud. This is also the reason I didn't go with mud flaps, I started installing a set but it reduced the clearance.

- The ride is easily better than stock GTI and I am not surprised. Taller tire and soft setting Koni Yellow shocks. Don't expect GTI handling after this and I don't miss it, if I want to enjoy some corners, I have another car.

Also, when doing alignment, I was only able to get negative .5 degree of camber up front, factory is around 1 degree. Don't have any issues with cruising at speed on the highway and it doesn't pull anywhere. I may have lost 1 mpg but I am not certain yet. I used to get 400 miles to tank, now I get 370 miles but then you need to calculate that my tire setup is 5.6% larger in diameter so I really get around 390.

Cars
      05-14-2019 01:17 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Some of the storage space will be where the passenger seat was. I will have a cooler in the back, trying to figure out how to secure it. There are metal anchor points in the back that I want to use to secure the plywood.
      Perhaps some bungee straps for the cooler hooked down to the plywood. Or a cooler with good side handles to hook down to the plywood. The metal anchor points should be good especially if you use some large washers on top of the plywood to anchor it.

19. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      05-14-2019 01:27 PM #93
      - MK1 Tiguan(2009-2011) FWD

- My front left shock was weak at nearly 100k miles, it would over-extend over larger bumps/road imperfections. Tiguan shocks can probably fit but I wouldn't recommend them, they are longer which will help with the over-extending but they will significantly shorten the life of your left axle. DAP just lifted their Alltrack and used longer shocks, blew out the left axle quickly.(left axle is short so during full droop, it puts a lot of stress on joints) I have Koni Yellows now don't have issues with over-extending even at the softest setting. I think the springs settling also helped(I had new springs).

- Zero rubbing, I went with the tire size I have after measuring everything. I could have went a size larger but there was a chance of rubbing. I also didn't want the tire close to fender since you need clearance for tire pickup, especially if you pickup some rocks or mud. This is also the reason I didn't go with mud flaps, I started installing a set but it reduced the clearance.

- The ride is easily better than stock GTI and I am not surprised. Taller tire and soft setting Koni Yellow shocks. Don't expect GTI handling after this and I don't miss it, if I want to enjoy some corners, I have another car.

Also, when doing alignment, I was only able to get negative .5 degree of camber up front, factory is around 1 degree. Don't have any issues with cruising at speed on the highway and it doesn't pull anywhere. I may have lost 1 mpg but I am not certain yet. I used to get 400 miles to tank, now I get 370 miles but then you need to calculate that my tire setup is 5.6% larger in diameter so I really get around 390.
      Thanks for the info. I think my Bilstein B6 may be a tad too stiff so I'm going to pick up a set of OEM MK5 dampers with the same springs and tire size as you! Should make winter a bit more enjoyable

I'm not too worried about fuel economy, it's already horrific on my 2.5L. Combined I rarely get over 250 miles per tank.

05-14-2019 01:35 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      Sip n' Dip Lounge for the win!

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-14-2019 09:36 PM #95

That's a really cool idea. I'd recommend cutting a little more space behind the driver's seat to allow it to recline more. That slight extra space could allow quick naps or just moving the seat around enough to stay fresh on a longer day on the road.

Perhaps some bungee straps for the cooler hooked down to the plywood. Or a cooler with good side handles to hook down to the plywood. The metal anchor points should be good especially if you use some large washers on top of the plywood to anchor it.
      Maybe a small bracket attached to the underside of the plywood in front that would connect where the seat bolts in somehow. That would secure the front in the case of an accident, which is probably the critical area to keep battened down. To be guillotined from the back, the plywood would have to lift completely up to neck level, shear through the posts for the headrest, and find its way through the windshield. With the front and rear fastened down somehow, it's just your gear that would bounce around.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

22. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      05-15-2019 08:26 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Thanks for the info. I think my Bilstein B6 may be a tad too stiff so I'm going to pick up a set of OEM MK5 dampers with the same springs and tire size as you! Should make winter a bit more enjoyable

I'm not too worried about fuel economy, it's already horrific on my 2.5L. Combined I rarely get over 250 miles per tank.
      I would recommend trying the B6 shocks with Tiguan springs first, it can be extra labor if you have to swap to OEM shocks after the first drive but it can potentially save you some money. Also, make sure you do alignment very soon after since when you lift your car, you will get more toe-in which will eat tires quickly.

Will definitely be looking at different options, I was hoping the cooler would fit under the plywood where the passenger seat was but its around 2-3" to tall. I am going to use the factory seat mounting points to anchor down the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      That's a really cool idea. I'd recommend cutting a little more space behind the driver's seat to allow it to recline more. That slight extra space could allow quick naps or just moving the seat around enough to stay fresh on a longer day on the road.
      I need to build a box frame behind the front seat that will support the plywood, everything extra that isn't needed to bolt-down to the frame will be trimmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Used a jigsaw to cut out the plywood yesterday, test fitting went smoothly. Now I need to build supporting frames and buy thin carpet that will cover the plywood. I need to finish the floor this week since I have a 3 day trip to West Virginia planned for Memorial weekend as a test run.

23. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      05-15-2019 09:39 AM #97
      I would recommend trying the B6 shocks with Tiguan springs first, it can be extra labor if you have to swap to OEM shocks after the first drive but it can potentially save you some money. Also, make sure you do alignment very soon after since when you lift your car, you will get more toe-in which will eat tires quickly.

Will definitely be looking at different options, I was hoping the cooler would fit under the plywood where the passenger seat was but its around 2-3" to tall. I am going to use the factory seat mounting points to anchor down the plywood.

I'm loving this thread!

Could you add legs or something to lift the plywood up enough to have room for the cooler in the spot you would like it? This would also be beneficial to get the plywood level with the hatch sill by the looks of the photo. You could even go nuts and make a door or too in the cargo area and have some extra under floor storage. It's easy to get carried away

I don't have any photos but I had built a platform in the back of our old 4Runner so I could have our dogs in the back but still have storage for duffel bags.

I was also curious if you will do anything to cover the windows at night.

24. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      05-16-2019 07:12 AM #98
      Built the supporting frames and threw a few things in just to see how it would look/feel. The front part will be on a hinge so I can use that area for storage and I still need to buy thin carpet to cover the whole floor.

Now I just need to figure out how to build a shower and toilet, not going to be part of this worlds slave labor..

25. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      05-16-2019 08:09 AM #99
      Nice, did you sleep in there last night?

Cars
      05-16-2019 09:08 AM #100

Now I just need to figure out how to build a shower and toilet, not going to be part of this worlds slave labor..
      Save some room for Amazon packages that Bezos will have you deliver.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast