Fourtitude.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-12-2019 06:38 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 7GIRLS3CUPS View Post
      Probably because the brake lines are stretching and acting as limiting straps. But hey, keep on, err trucking?
      Unless he installed longer shocks, the downtravel won't droop any more than stock.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      02-12-2019 07:11 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      Jammers. So damned cool. I love that they all have the "Big Sky Country" trucker mud flaps, too.

We drove the GTSR 4 times in an '85 Westy Weekender a couple years ago. Such a great trip and such a slow vehicle, but given the lack of shoulders and drop offs, I'm glad I didn't have anything more "fun" to drive.

Also hitch hiked it back up to the Westy which was parked at Logan Pass. Trail put us about half way to Lake McDonald.

Went through there a couple years ago when the 300sl club was going through. Those cars in that setting booming up the pass was epic.

OP - I'm out here if you need anything. I'm guessing you have an agenda, if you need ideas around GP let me know.

My only suggestion at this point is a trip to Waterson, AB. Stunning scenery and a cool campground right off the water.

Edit - then it turns into an international trip.

4. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      02-12-2019 08:44 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post
      I saw an underside pic of a Country. Can someone confirm what I saw? Is it a body on frame? I couldn't find a definitive answer, it sure looks like it. Or is it just additional bracing put there for support?
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      It's not body on frame in the traditional sense... It's still a unibody, but also has an extra frame underneath to tie all the suspension points together and stiffen/strengthen the chassis considerably.
      VW built a tubular frame, and sat a regular Golf on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

5. Member
      Cars
      1995 M3
      02-12-2019 10:27 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Approximate route for this year, open to ideas for good roads, places to see, trails to hike, natural hot springs, etc.

It looks like you'll be driving through the least interesting parts of rural Minnesota, but let me know if you could use Minneapolis food/beer recommendations.

02-13-2019 03:38 AM #55
      A guy on the MKV forum.took this all the way on his rabbit a few years ago.

It's a lot easier to just buy a old Cherokee, but I respect people working with the car they have.

Good luck in your travels
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 02-13-2019 at 03:41 AM.

7. Senior Member
      02-13-2019 07:14 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      lol

Kidding aside, my bet is that the bushings are the travel limiter.
      nah shocks or brake lines first on those. Lines front, shocks rear would be my guess.

8. Member
      Cars
      02-13-2019 07:37 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      It looks like you'll be driving through the least interesting parts of rural Minnesota, but let me know if you could use Minneapolis food/beer recommendations.

This is a good point. The last time I did a drive back east I took HWY 200 from Columbia Falls, MT to Bemidji, MN. Looks like a rural route on the map but is a nice 4 lane highway.
      Way less traffic and a stepping back in time feel. It was cool.

9. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      02-13-2019 07:40 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      When you drive through St. Louis, drop by and see us for a wander through the warehouse.

www.hymanltd.com
      If I have time, definitely. Just saw the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Eastern MT and North Dakota are boring AF. If you must cross ND off your list then so be it, but I'd consider a route change to SD and see Devil's Tower, Rushmore, and the Badlands/Black Hills if you haven't already.
      Want to cross ND off the list, been to SD and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I would love to do this with my A6 and take it straight up to Prudhoe Bay. In either case, your door needs this..

[IMG]Golf Country jpg[/IMG]

Whole car for reference..
      Some day I will head to Alaska but the route to Arctic would be through Dawson to Tuktoyaktuk.

Quote Originally Posted by aging_fleet View Post
      I'm just happy you're doing another road trip thread. Lifted, salvage title, and DIY rebuilt GTI is just icing on the cake.
      Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I was too harsh earlier. Sorry for that. I've ran across too many people in the woods in vehicles underprepared for the road or trail conditions, so I don't want anyone to get their rig into a bad situation.

As long as you recognize the limitations of the car you'll be fine. An LSD would definitely help, but is also... Expensive. Or an AWD swap one day. We need a modern day Golf Country.
      I am hoping for more ground clearance so I can go a bit further but getting stuck or doing something stupid(except lifting a GTI) isn't on my list of things to do, I have thousands of miles to drive back home.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I wouldn't sweat the LSD too much. Sure it's better, but IME it's more of an inside-tire-fire solution than a no-traction one. That car should have the brake-based one which can help a little from getting stuck.

OP, did you use the regular GTI shocks? I'm not sure what the Tiguan spring rates are, but I'd be a little concerned about a potential mis-match causing handling problems.
      Stock shocks for now. Once I get an alignment done, I will drive/test the car and change as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      ...lower it?

Only on Tiguan lowering springs.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I was just working up a list of places and realized you aren't going through SW Montana. Guess I should have looked a little closer at your map.
      I am open to all options, trip is still bouncing between 2.5-4 weeks. Really want to add Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Went through there a couple years ago when the 300sl club was going through. Those cars in that setting booming up the pass was epic.

OP - I'm out here if you need anything. I'm guessing you have an agenda, if you need ideas around GP let me know.

My only suggestion at this point is a trip to Waterson, AB. Stunning scenery and a cool campground right off the water.

Edit - then it turns into an international trip.
      Debating on crossing the border but last time I was searched for 4-5 hours at re-entry in Vermont.

To much that I want to see and do in GNP, I am open to ideas. Biggest question is how much can my legs take.

- Swiftcurrent Pass Trail - From Many Glacier
      - Highline Tail
      - Iceburg Trail - From Many Glacier
      - Grinnell Glacier Trail -From Many Glacier
      - Dawson Pass and Pitamakan Pass Loop (can I do it in a day?)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Minnesota is on the list of places I want to visit but a different time. (either 2020 or 2021 I would like to do a roadtrip that covers/explores Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The idea for this GTI, see/explore 49 states and Canada(many some Mexico if I have the balls). This is a long term plan that will probably take 3-5 years.

States I have been to so far(driving through a state doesn't count, I need to visit at least 2 big things to see/do in the state)

10. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      02-13-2019 09:38 AM #59
      Minnesota is on the list of places I want to visit but a different time. (either 2020 or 2021 I would like to do a roadtrip that covers/explores Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan)

11. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      02-13-2019 09:49 AM #60

We chose to do this one on our first full day in the park. It was a leg killer for a fat kid from the flat lands..but worth it. It wasn't bad until we reached the last mile or so when it turns into an uphill scramble across a scree field.

IMG_1688_wm by Dietrich Huebert, on Flickr

Our legs were dead the next day so we did the trail of the cedars up to Avalanche Lake. A welcome respite after the day before.

IMG_1973_wm by Dietrich Huebert, on Flickr

We plan to do the Highline this year.
      2012 VW GTI( (Stage II APR)
      2001 Toyota 4Runner (winter)
      Mongoose Dolomite (goes wherever)
      Trek 1000 (goes fast)

12. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      02-15-2019 10:56 AM #61
      OP, car looks great, and your thread has made me consider going raising my MK5 next winter if I hold onto it.

What kind of Tiguan springs are you running? FWD or AWD?

13. Member
      Cars
      02-15-2019 11:13 AM #62
      You should do the Absaroka Beartooths if you can.

CSB - My Dad was on the trail crew that put in the trail from Cooke City to East Rosebud.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-15-2019 12:39 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post

Yep. Let us know when that happens. There are plenty of us in those states that can help put a great route together.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

15. Member
      Cars
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      02-15-2019 01:35 PM #64
      Cool trip! Here are some Nebraska ideas for you - it's hard to find 2 cool things to see in this state

• Carhenge - You had a dot in Alliance so it looks like you had this on your radar already.
      • The Brownlee Road - this isn't well know, even to Nebraskans, but there's a little single-track paved road that connects between highways 83 and 97 and through Brownlee. It barely appears on Google maps, but here's the area. https://goo.gl/maps/FZW7ZhPzyjk It's a really fun drive - 10-ish miles of great twists and turns over rolling hills and through fields of hay and the totally unique topography of the Sandhills. The Sandhills are unique anywhere in the world, so it's worth a stop somewhere to get out and wander around on foot a bit as well. Just be careful, you can get very, very lost very easily. Cross over one hill and you'll realize that all the hills look the same and there are no landmarks to guide you. GPS is a must if you go far.
      • The Sandhills Open Road Challenge - a cool event to attend, but even if your schedule doesn't work to see the event, the course is a public highway so you can drive it and get a sense of the experience. https://www.sorcrace.com/loup2loup
      • Robbers Cave and Blue Blood Brewery in Lincoln, NE - If you're a beer enthusiast, Blue Blood is a pretty cool local microbrewery, and they have a building on top of a historic cave used by everyone from early pioneer settlers to Jessie James. They give tours of the cave and brewery and it's a neat stop if you're into that sort of thing. http://bluebloodbrewing.com/brewery-cave-tours/
      • Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, NE - I've been to a lot of car museums all over the country, and Speedway holds up with the best of them. An incredible collection of hot rod and racing cars and memorabilia from many eras. https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      02-15-2019 04:07 PM #65
      Off the top of my head if you do end up in SW Montana -

Bozeman Area:
      - Montana Aleworks is a decent place to eat and drink. Lots of other spots downtown.
      - Hyalite Canyon is just outside of town. Really nice drive up, reservoir at the top, some decent hikes and camp sites.
      - Madison River for floating in an inner tube. Kind of a **** show on weekends, but weekdays can be quiet.
      - Bridger Range for hikes. Fairy Lake is a very cool spot.

Livingston:
      - Montana Rib & Chop house - get the baseball steak and loaded baked potato
      - Murray Bar is a fun place and they have live music on weekends
      - Murray Hotel is a cool old western hotel. The lobby is worth walking into and if you're lucky you can talk the desk clerk into a ride on the hand operated elevator. Rooms are super cool and clean if you need a break from car camping.

Chico Hot Springs in Pray, MT:
      - Can't recommend this place enough. If you plan on staying might be worth making a reservation as it is a lot more popular and known now than it was when I lived out there. You can rent anything from a room in the main lodge, to a conestoga wagon, to a standalone cabin depending on your budget. Good food in the main restaurant, live music on weekends and a fun mix of locals and tourists in the bar.

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      02-15-2019 04:44 PM #66
      Approximate route for this year, open to ideas for good roads, places to see, trails to hike, natural hot springs, etc.

From Fargo ND to Beach, ND its a death march. Fill up in Fargo, Sleep in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. There's a few gas stations, just pay attention to the signs.

Fargo to Minneapolis is a better death march but not to bad.

Glacier National Park is REALLY cool. Check out Many Glacier too. Opposite side of Glacier, several hour drive. If Going to the sun road is open take it. We missed it by 2 weeks due to 70 some feet of snow up there.

You could check out "Waterton Lakes National Park of Canada", its the Canadian side of Glacier.

A few years ago we took a similar trip, saw alot of the national parks in a old 2002 Minivan we pulled out of my grandparents garage after they passed. New fluids, wipers, battery etc we took off. LUCKY I packed EVERY TOOL I could think of. Layed them out one by one to MAKE SURE I had each size, socket, wire cutter, etc. Tried to think of every situation I could be in.

812 miles into the trip I swapped out the alternator in Billings Montana.
      Super HOT, covered in oily stuff from the parking lot I was laying in. Threw out/changed the cloths and carried on.

850 miles into the trip we are on the side of the road fixing said alternator in between Yellowstone and the Tetons (Tetons are amazing to look at btw).

2200 miles into the trip front brakes seize up coming down the mountain pass. Rolling smoke we pull into an Autozone in port angles Washington. Its basically Canada up there. I did a full front brake job TWICE!! in the rain and mid 50's weather. First set of parts were wrong! The parts guy said, WOW, I didn't think we would even have these.

-- New rotors, calipers, fluid, bleed, test drive in roughly 2hrs in the rain. This was in the late afternoon so it was getting dark out.

Only tool I didn't have was a Allen Wrench socket for the caliper carriers. As luck would have it there was a Harbor Freight right there.

5000 miles into the trip HAVC motor dies. No fan/AC etc. Windows down

5600miles total.

My recommendation, Be prepared.

Food/Water
      Tools
      Flash lights (several)
      Proper clothing. We drove from Tetons to Crater Lake OR. It went from Snow to 100+F to Snow in a day.
      Communications / Maps. We had 2 cellphones (Verizon) and full maps of each location. Honestly we used the maps more then the phones, reception dies in these areas.

Know your vehicle and gas range. We pulled into a few town on 0 miles to empty. WAY to close to call. Example. Driving into Bend OR, it looks like a quick trip on the map but at midnight it was several hours of driving. Almost ran out of gas there and in ND/WY area.

Know yourself. Know when to quit driving. A few legs we drove for to long and MAN did we pay for it. Exhausted the next day, sore etc. Not to mention dangerous.

Pay attention to timezones. Man this messed us up. Oh we will get there at 1am no problem. Mountain time vs Central time.

Cars
      2004 VW R32, 2004 Volvo V70R
      02-20-2019 11:12 PM #67
      If you're taking off in late July and at all interested in vintage racing, I'd suggest checking out the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational in Indianapolis August 3-4. Whether or not you care to attend, I will gladly take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my AirBnB for whenever you happen to be passing through. Pm me if you want the enthusiast discount. As for the rest of your journey, I can only speak to Louisville, Indy, Chicago, and western Kentucky beyond what you probably already know. Yellowstone and Glacier are fantastic as others have noted, etc. etc. I'd check out Mammoth Cave NP in Kentucky if you haven't been yet. Soak in southern Indiana because that's where the nice hilly sections end until you get to NW IL and driftless WI. Chicago is as rad as you may expect. I've got a soft spot for good tiki bars and Cubs home games, both of which are readily available there. I'm local to Indy, so if you need any suggestions for this area, don't hesitate to ask. I like your vision with the car - I've been considering a similar build with a shoddy V70R since 4C shocks are so **** expensive.
      Need custom prototypes or components?
      Black Dog Form

19. Member
      Cars
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      02-20-2019 11:44 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Know yourself. Know when to quit driving. A few legs we drove for to long and MAN did we pay for it. Exhausted the next day, sore etc. Not to mention dangerous.

Pay attention to timezones. Man this messed us up. Oh we will get there at 1am no problem. Mountain time vs Central time.
      Best info - worth reiterating

20. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      02-26-2019 12:36 AM #69

To much that I want to see and do in GNP, I am open to ideas. Biggest question is how much can my legs take.

- Swiftcurrent Pass Trail - From Many Glacier
      - Highline Tail
      - Iceburg Trail - From Many Glacier
      - Dawson Pass and Pitamakan Pass Loop (can I do it in a day?)
      Many Glacier > Grinnell is great, and if you start early enough, you can spend time puttering around the lakes in the valley below the glacier on your way back to Swiftcurrent. If you're worn out, you can hop the boats to cut the time and distance walked. Brought a lunch, and for the most part wasn't bad on this flat lander except a couple spots. Heavily trafficked, so if you're looking to get away from people, this ain't the hike.

Highline > Granite Park Chalet > Loop is a good one, too. The crossing into Haystack Pass is gorgeous. There is a spur trail that takes you over the Continental Divide to look down on Grinnell from the other side. I think it is 900ft in elevation gain over less than a mile. Rather than doubling back from Granite Park, we dropped down to the GTSR by way of the Loop and thumbed our way back up to Logan Pass. Solid half day+ hike, bring lots of water and some snacks. Interesting fact: there is a cell repeater at Granite Park Chalet. One of the few places in GNP that we had coverage, and miles from nowhere. I think total was around 13-14 miles.

We hiked to Grinnell on one day and did the Highline the next. My legs were cooked, but the day after that we hit the Avalanche lake trail to take it easy.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

21. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      03-18-2019 01:53 PM #70
      Thanks to everyone for the ideas, I am starting to really put the trip together. The GTI got some Koni Yellows a few weeks ago and I was able to test the car long distance by going to Super Sebring race, 1500 miles total. Zero issues with the GTI, it is really comfortable and like all hatchbacks fit everything you would need. The front left stock shock would overextend on large bumps(before the Sebring roadtrip), that didn't worry me much since the stock shocks had almost 100k miles on them. I went with Koni Yellows as a replacement and no longer have the issue, Konis are set to the softest rebound setting.

Cars
      2017 Jetta S 5MT
      03-18-2019 02:45 PM #71

driving through a state doesn't count, I need to visit at least 2 big things to see/do in the state
      Kentucky:

Lexington - Horse farms / Bluegrass region (Lexington is smack dab in the middle of it)
      Louisville - Distilleries
      Last edited by SpeedyD; 03-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      03-18-2019 03:45 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post

Not to discount this advice too much but I'd wager a big factor in your being sore and tired was from the 2002 minivan you dragged out of your grandparents garage to drive across country. Yes you need to be aware of your level of exhaustion, but driving a comfortable car with supportive seats on long distances is also important. Not to say that is always possible, but it makes a huge difference.

I used to put in some long days on the road when I was driving to and from MT/NH and usually was driving alone. I would stop driving when I got tired, but after doing the trip a couple of times I knew where I would roughly end up on a given day. I never made hotel reservations so I wouldn't feel like I HAD to push further than I wanted.

Usually would leave NH around 5AM after a good nights sleep and shoot to get through Chicago on day one to avoid morning traffic on day two. Second day would be a little easier usually staying in Rapid City, SD. Third day to MT was usually a breeze because no traffic and the shortest of the three days.

Day 1 - 15 hours
      Day 2 - 13 hours
      Day 3 - 7 hours

Those driving times are estimated and the further West you go the faster you can drive in most places. By the time I crossed the MT border I was moving along at a pretty good clip with the end in sight.

Anyway pawa is a road trip veteran already and I'm sure his GTI is just as comfortable for a cross country run as mine was.

24. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      03-18-2019 10:22 PM #73
      I had a thought. If you're intent on doing some serious back country hiking in GNP, you may want to snag an emergency handheld radio. Pretty much the entire park and most of the surrounding area is a dead cell zone.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

25. Member
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      03-21-2019 08:17 PM #74
      When we went through GNP, the GTTSR opened on July 5th, the day before we arrived. The Logan Pass Visitor's Center had 5' of snow still on the ground and we had more snow during the visit. Roads were all clear.

26. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-21-2019 11:10 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      I had a thought. If you're intent on doing some serious back country hiking in GNP, you may want to snag an emergency handheld radio. Pretty much the entire park and most of the surrounding area is a dead cell zone.
      Or a Ham Radio license and a 2-meter HT for even more range. I have a license and carry one for snowmobiling in case of emergencies. It's easy to think emergencies won't happen, but unfortunately sometimes they do and you don't want to be without communications. Even if the emergency is someone else's that you've come across, it's invaluable to be able to help.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast