Fourtitude.com - New car time; Mercedes GLK350 or consider something else?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 02-06-2019 01:56 PM #1
      So I’ve started car shopping for my wife’s new ride and have been desperately searching to find something that fits this extensive list of requirements.

Reqs:

-“Luxury” SUV, preferably German and black
      -New or slightly used
      -Anything up to and including 65k

Contenders:

2015-2017 Landcruiser - I love this thing, but the wife nixed it for being too big.

2019 X3 M40i - We both loved the vehicle, but I have a tough time paying 63k for a new X3 that doesn’t have anything “special”. Also considered the upcoming X3M, but that may be too far out. I have experience with the dealer and they are fantastic, which is partially driving me in this direction.

2010s MB G500/550 - Her dream car, but I think the ride is awful and the image is even worse. Can’t swing the new model yet.

2017-2018 Macan S - A very planted ride, but I honestly wasn’t that impressed inside or out. Maybe it wasn’t the right spec, but the X3 felt nicer and more exciting. It’s also very cramped inside. We don’t have kids yet, but my lowly Golf R felt bigger. Maintainance costs would add up.

2018 MB GLC63 - We both loved the looks and the sound(!!!). A bit out of the budget and no used ones available yet. I think the depreciation on a brand new Mercedes would keep me up at night.

2018 Evoque - Neither of us were terribly impressed with the build quality for the money; perhaps the new one will remedy that. It wasn’t slow, but it was far from exciting (and I drive an HR-V right now...)

2018 XC60/90 - We went to sit in one and came away unimpressed. The dealership experience was also very subpar.

2018 SQ 5 - She doesn’t like the design.

Lexus/Acura - She doesn’t like the brands.

After all of that, our potential answer is getting a used....GLK 350. They look great with that AMG-lite body kit. We can easily find them for 25-30k in great spec. Seems like a solid choice that would tide us over until something exciting hits the market in a few years.

Does anyone have experience with these, or what to watch out for when buying used?

Obligatory pic:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      b7 A4
      02-06-2019 02:37 PM #2
      compared to everything else on your list, the GLK is going to feel very dated. Especially inside with the MB Command system.

Have you driven the GLK? Its a super boring drive.

Id recommend a used GLC over the GLK

4. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      02-06-2019 02:40 PM #3
      I've going to give the opposite opinion to the post above. I really like how the face-lifted GLK drives; it feels more alive and nimble than the luxury-oriented,, cushier-riding GLC (which I also like very much.)

I HATE the newer COMAND systems that started with the GLC, and think the older, simpler system in the GLK is an advantage. I'd look long and hard for one with all of the options, like the surround-view camera and adaptive cruise.

Tom

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      02-06-2019 02:43 PM #4
      Never been a fan of the GLK, the proportions are ghastly and never really fit in the MB lineup IMO. Was dated when it was released.
      FOR SALE: 2015 eGolf SEL Premium, 52,000 miles, $11,500

Cars
      BMW 328i GT, BMW X3, Toyota Appiiance
      02-06-2019 02:44 PM #5
      How about one of these?

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

02-06-2019 02:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      I've going to give the opposite opinion to the post above. I really like how the face-lifted GLK drives; it feels more alive and nimble than the luxury-oriented,, cushier-riding GLC (which I also like very much.)

I HATE the newer COMAND systems that started with the GLC, and think the older, simpler system in the GLK is an advantage. I'd look long and hard for one with all of the options, like the surround-view camera and adaptive cruise.

Tom
      Agreed. I liked the facelift interior too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

8. 02-06-2019 03:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

Tom
      I actually really like the old body style of the GLK compared to the GLC as well, with the exception of the GLC63 with its wider track and full AMG body kit. How was your ownership experience with the GLK?

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      How about one of these?

Hmm, I haven’t really considered the F-pace, so perhaps it’s worth a test drive. I think the interior may be the biggest turn off for me, but it’s not a dealbraker. On a somewhat related note, we also contemplated the Stelvio before reading about all of the headaches with quality and service.

9. 02-06-2019 03:26 PM #8
      X3 M40i sounds like the real winner in this class. Could also consider the GLC43?

Although if the G wagen is her dream car, let the woman follow her heart.

Cars
      02-06-2019 03:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by buumer View Post
      Hmm, I haven’t really considered the F-pace, so perhaps it’s worth a test drive. I think the interior may be the biggest turn off for me, but it’s not a dealbraker. On a somewhat related note, we also contemplated the Stelvio before reading about all of the headaches with quality and service.
      Interior is not on par with ze Germans, but ultimately put together tastefully and with quality materials. I would seriously give it a try, but keep in mind that Italian and British cars are still considered quite sentimental (unreliable) even among European car makers. But there are tons of deals to be had as 2018 F-pace are still lingering on dealer lots everywhere. And you get the industry-best 5year/60K complimentary maintenance and warranty.

Now, if she is interested in GLK, I would also highly recommend looking at the new (and used) GLE 350/ML 350 as well. With the new model just around the corner, they are discounting the current iteration pretty heavily.

And unlike GLC, GLE/ML has been pretty reliable.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-06-2019 03:32 PM #10
      How about one of these?
      Not just the Jag, but what about the Discovery or Velar (which is based on F-Pace)? I would think the Velar would be the way to go out of any of the vehicles.

How about any of the bazillion models of the Grand Cherokee? According to some, this is actually a prestige vehicle.

Cars
      02-06-2019 03:38 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Not just the Jag, but what about the Discovery or Velar (which is based on F-Pace)? I would think the Velar would be the way to go out of any of the vehicles.
      Velar and Discovery may put OP over budget. If used, it might work. But Range Rover has one of the chintziest CPO warranties in the business. Knowing their reputation for reliability, I'd stay away from used.

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      How about any of the bazillion models of the Grand Cherokee? According to some, this is actually a prestige vehicle.
      Hey, we live in the days where pickup trucks that costs well over $75,000 sells like hotcakes. I don't see why not, but I think OP's significant other is not a fan of domestic product.

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      02-06-2019 03:39 PM #12
      I'm tempted by a leftover 2018 JGC SRT-8 in the low $60's. You'd be fighting your wife for the keys.

Like this one not far from where I am:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Not German, and pushing the upper end of your budget though.

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      02-06-2019 03:59 PM #13
      Pretty much in the same boat right now.

Honestly if it must be an SUV I would go with X3 M40i.

If it doesn't 100% have to be an SUV but you still want cargo capacity i'm really digging the Audi A5 Sportback. In your budget you could step up to the S5 Sportback.

15. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      02-06-2019 04:01 PM #14
      How was your ownership experience with the GLK?
      It was great. I signed it out of the Consumer Reports test fleet when I wanted to drive it home that night.

Tom

Cars
      02-06-2019 04:03 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by steelgatorb8 View Post
      If it doesn't 100% have to be an SUV but you still want cargo capacity i'm really digging the Audi A5 Sportback. In your budget you could step up to the S5 Sportback.
      All of the advantage of SUV cargo, and none of the SUV stigma.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-06-2019 04:21 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      I'm tempted by a leftover 2018 JGC SRT-8 in the low $60's. You'd be fighting your wife for the keys.
      For obvious reasons, I would agree. But please note the fine print in that ad---freight isn't included, there's trade assistance that isn't guaranteed for everyone, and the car has every possible rebate. Odds are, what you'll end up paying is another $2-3k on top of their internet price.

18. 02-06-2019 04:26 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
      X3 M40i sounds like the real winner in this class. Could also consider the GLC43?
      We actually test drove the X3 several times, it’s a very solid vehicle in the segment. I honestly can’t tell exactly what’s preventing me from pulling the trigger on it except for the fact that there’s nothing very stand out in it for the price. It’s almost too methodical? I do think the X3 M will be a complete riot based on how the m40i drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
      Although if the G wagen is her dream car, let the woman follow her heart.
      There’s a 2011 G550 near us being offered for 54k. It’s probably the one car here that would keep its value the best, but there’s something about the connotation and the image that doesn’t sit well with me. I do like the old school pre-1990s version, but that’s not an everyday car.

https://www.toybarncars.com/used/Mer...ebaf0ace2e.htm

Now, if she is interested in GLK, I would also highly recommend looking at the new (and used) GLE 350/ML 350 as well. With the new model just around the corner, they are discounting the current iteration pretty heavily.

And unlike GLC, GLE/ML has been pretty reliable.
      I really like the GLE and we had sat in one at the dealer, but it was too big for her. Maybe I’ll look for some used ML’s before they got a bump in size. I forgot to mention that we test drove the G05 X5 and she said it was also too large.

Velar and Discovery may put OP over budget. If used, it might work. But Range Rover has one of the chintziest CPO warranties in the business. Knowing their reputation for reliability, I'd stay away from used.

Hey, we live in the days where pickup trucks that costs well over $75,000 sells like hotcakes. I don't see why not, but I think OP's significant other is not a fan of domestic product.
      We briefly looked at both the Velar and Disco Sport while test-driving the Evoque. The all-digital display on the Velar is a big turn off, it’s slow and glitchy. Amusingly, the Discovery Sport has the completely opposite problem of having too basic of an interior. I realize our top contender is the GLK with its early 2010s dash, but for the price of the Disco Sport, this is a bit sad...

With that said, we did find some nicely equipped HSE models in 35k range.

19. 02-07-2019 01:29 AM #18
      We had a GLK long time ago. My wife loved it.

I hated driving it though. The seats were hard, it felt numb and heavy like a slab of concrete. Got about 16-17 mpg in the city. Reliability was pretty bad for ours, but I think overall they're considered pretty solid. Get one from Carmax with their 5yr warranty if it has more than 20k miles. It's a MB, the first thing that breaks will cost you a thousand.

The updated interior especially in that beige in the pic above is nice but that generation is still far behind new MB interiors, that's the only thing I'd knock it down for.

If you can get if for like $20-25k it is a very solid choice for a woman. She will love it, it's extremely handsome and probably still the best/sharpest looking little SUV even with all the new models out.

I'd recommend taking a look at a GLC coupe (regular GLC is an ugly bland egg but the coupe got the cool factor).

Cars
      64 turbo baja bug, 04 1.8t 4-mo 5-speed passat, 04 W8 passat 2.5 swapped
      02-07-2019 06:45 AM #19
      wife has had a 2015 glk350 for over a year now and loves it, it went in for service beginning of the week and we got a GLC loaner and the wife hated it didn't like the new interior or the newer COMAND system. we got ours CPO from benz 38k on it for 30k with an extended unlimited mileage warranty till 2022so it should be OK as it ages since my wife tends to keep cars forever. It just had the 60k service done we got the service package for it so 3 services from benz for 1300 so its not terrible and it included the tranny flush/filter change and refill as well as the plug change at 50k miles. the 50k service was quoted at 1k which is why we got the service package. other than the washer pump dying we havent had a single issue with it in over 20k miles. if you get a GLK go for the 2015 its the last year of it and they had some updates to it like the AMG look body kit and LED tails as well as the updated nicer interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
      The sound is literally like if you put your head in a toilet bowl, pursed your lips, and said "oooooo".

21. 02-07-2019 09:57 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by steelgatorb8 View Post
      Pretty much in the same boat right now.

Honestly if it must be an SUV I would go with X3 M40i.

I completely agree with the sentiment, but she wants to be higher up. I also suggested a wagon like the Allroad or V60, but it fell on deaf ears. She’d be ok with something as small as a GLA, just as long as it rises couple inches higher off the ground than a sedan :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      We had a GLK long time ago. My wife loved it.

I hated driving it though. The seats were hard, it felt numb and heavy like a slab of concrete. Got about 16-17 mpg in the city. Reliability was pretty bad for ours, but I think overall they're considered pretty solid. Get one from Carmax with their 5yr warranty if it has more than 20k miles. It's a MB, the first thing that breaks will cost you a thousand.

The updated interior especially in that beige in the pic above is nice but that generation is still far behind new MB interiors, that's the only thing I'd knock it down for.

If you can get if for like $20-25k it is a very solid choice for a woman. She will love it, it's extremely handsome and probably still the best/sharpest looking little SUV even with all the new models out.

I'd recommend taking a look at a GLC coupe (regular GLC is an ugly bland egg but the coupe got the cool factor).
      Appreciate the feedback, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I won’t be the one driving it, so if it works for her, I can’t object. Her top priorities are ride height and safety, image, and fun factor. Mine are safety and maintainnce/depreciation. We may go check out the GLC (and the coupe) again. For what it’s worth, she hated the look of the new X4 coupe, but I can’t fault her thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
      wife has had a 2015 glk350 for over a year now and loves it, it went in for service beginning of the week and we got a GLC loaner and the wife hated it didn't like the new interior or the newer COMAND system. we got ours CPO from benz 38k on it for 30k with an extended unlimited mileage warranty till 2022so it should be OK as it ages since my wife tends to keep cars forever. It just had the 60k service done we got the service package for it so 3 services from benz for 1300 so its not terrible and it included the tranny flush/filter change and refill as well as the plug change at 50k miles. the 50k service was quoted at 1k which is why we got the service package. other than the washer pump dying we havent had a single issue with it in over 20k miles. if you get a GLK go for the 2015 its the last year of it and they had some updates to it like the AMG look body kit and LED tails as well as the updated nicer interior.
      Thanks for the insight. We’re shopping Carmax/carvana/MB dealers, and will most certainly opt for an extended warranty if going the GLK route. How was your experience with bad weather (snow/rain)?

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      02-07-2019 10:20 AM #21
      I like the F Pace & JGC SRT suggestions. I'd also consider a Stelvio and Lexus GX if I were you.

I'd get a newer used GLC over the previous GLK however if it's MB or bust for you.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      64 turbo baja bug, 04 1.8t 4-mo 5-speed passat, 04 W8 passat 2.5 swapped
      02-07-2019 11:08 AM #22
      Thanks for the insight. We’re shopping Carmax/carvana/MB dealers, and will most certainly opt for an extended warranty if going the GLK route. How was your experience with bad weather (snow/rain)?
      it drives really good in the rain and snow, wife used to commute 120 miles a day for work and said it was a tank in the snow unless you really got on it she said it was hard to lose traction in the snow. said it was a lot better in the snow then the awd Hyundai Tucson we traded in.

its 4200lbs so its go some heft behind it to keep it planted, also has 302hp from the V6 and says it does 0-60 in 5.8 so its not exactly slow its got some decent power. The GLC we got as a loaner was a GLC300 with the 4 cylinder turbo with 241 horse that just felt pathetic compared to the GLK V6 it had some turbo lag as well which didnt help and once you got on it past 65 it was just out of breath and 0-60 is slower as well. overall was very unimpressed by the GLC300, the GLC43 with the turbo v6 is probably alot of fun but those are a lot more expensive.
      Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
      The sound is literally like if you put your head in a toilet bowl, pursed your lips, and said "oooooo".

24. 02-07-2019 11:45 AM #23
      Ours went through 6 snowy winters on nothing but all season tires, some Yokohamas 255/20... We lived on a hill those years, this thing never had problems with grip climbing it up in snow/slush/ice. Snow tires are not necessary at all.

25. Member
      02-07-2019 12:07 PM #24
      My mother in law bought a used GLK and she makes the worst life decisions of any person I have ever met. That's my only point of reference.
      Dan
      Former: '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Jetta GL, '01 A4 1.8TQ, '08 TT Roadster, '01 325Cic (RIP), lots o' Miatas
      Current: '15 Mazda6, '10 Miata, 04' Ranger

Cars
      torque and no torque
      02-07-2019 01:18 PM #25
      Stelvio or SRT GC depending on what flavors you like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast