VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rebuilding the valve train, looking for tips.

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  mk3illa 
#1 · (Edited)
So, lost a rocker on cylinder 2, intake side. Luckily, didnt drop a valve, caught it right as it happened. Started as a bad misfire, and upon inspection, noticed the rocker free floating under the cam.

I guess I'm looking for some torque specs, and some advice on what to expect. I have a good understanding of head repairs, but it's my first time with this motor ('10 07K)

Are there any recommendations for brands of valve train components? Going with super tech for the valves springs and retainers, IE for the guides and other parts. But, I'm trying to find a decent set of rockers and HLA's (hydraulic lash adjustors) and not sure if anyone here has any experience-driven recommendations for brands.

The head hasn't shown bad signs of damage yet, but I'm going to check if it's still good once I have it on the work bench. Not sure if I will deck it, and still have to look into +1mm valves. IE has the oversized guides, but I'm not sure if the head has to be milled, or if the guides themselves are thinner to make up for the oversized valves. If the seats have to be milled at a shop, I'm not going for it. 20v and 5 chambers will not be a cheap bill.

While I have it off, I'm most likely going to perform a stage 1 port and polish. This car will stay NA

TLDR broke a rocker, need info on head specs, tolerances and parts.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Upon further investigation, ended up being the valve spring that broke. Basically, going to repair it junkyard parts and send it. The motors are cheap enough to get a whole long block with low miles, most expensive I found was around $1k, and 400-700 on average.

#7 ·
Still planning on port + polish, or just swapping it in as it sits? Any preventative maintenance plans while it's out or just drive it until it dies? Glad to hear that it's easy to find a block with low miles. These engines are super reliable so you shouldn't have any issues, but definitely keep us updated on how it goes.

#5 ·
You can buy a long block for the price of super tech springs. Low mileage for close to the amount for a set of valves.

I don't know why that is, but it's how it is.

The motor currently in the car has almost 120k, and had *decent* maintenance done, has over revved once (3-2), and has been oil starved/red dummy light a few times in its last few years. Totally my fault, neglected to maintain the car in a timely manner, and this was the result.

Quick look at the valve train shows signs of low oil pressure/starvation. Aside from the broken spring, I saw other things, and just saw the price of parts soaring.

Would rather take a chance with a 30k mi motor that was ran and inspected before it was pulled. They're around 400-600 for long blocks, and some even include accessories or harnesses. Although there weren't too many last I looked, there was a friggin crash test safety model...motor only had 300 miles on it, for around a grand.

#9 ·
Resuscitating a dead thread here, but looking for tips/help.

Is there a way to pull a camshaft without having to pull the gearbox? Or am I S.O.L.?

I don't want to run the car with the broken valve spring, but I'm desperate to get it running so I can get rid of it. I unfortunately can no longer keep it, as life is happening.

In case anyone is interested or curious, this will most likely end up on the classified section. Would like to at least get it running, but the motor will be on borrowed time.

It's a 6speed swap (11 CC gearbox) with full bolt ons from IE and all the ecs and apr shifter goodies. Koni yellow adjustables with 1.8 neuspeed springs and enkei m52 18x8

It sucks, didn't even hit 1k miles with all the new suspension and wheels and the 6 speed swap before the spring came out. But I gotta part ways with it.

If anyone wants any further details, just shoot me a PM.

#10 ·
Well, it's time for me to part ways with this. Just don't have the time to take on this project. If anyone is interested in picking this up, I made a classified thread for it. I'm selling it as a parts car for swap. I know I'm losing my ass on it, but it has just about everything you can do with this platform, and I'd love for someone to get a good deal on all the parts. All the bolt-ons, a solid 6speed swap, wheels tires and koni yellow/neuspeed spring cup kit.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=9339031&share_fid=7951&share_type=t

I'm willing to take reasonable offers, but I can't part the car out. The body is florida rust free and no accidents. Just pm me if interested, and there's loads of pics of it.

#12 ·
I'm sorry to see this thread end this way. I wish you the best of luck with selling and with wherever life takes you next. I'm too far away unfortunately or I would come take a look.

[emoji481]
No worries. I'm sad to see the journey end as well. I am sticking with the 5 cyl platform, as I picked up a mkv jetta SE, but it's back to stock daily driver. As much as I'd like to swap everything over, the jetta is mint, but higher mileage, and I want to prolong its mintiness [emoji481]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.